not giving up meat for Lent

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It's supposed to be something that's not easy for you, that is a struggle so we can get an idea of his suffering. I originally said meat but really that's not suffering for me because I can't eat it anyway (for medical reasons)... I was thinking chocolate. That will be a struggle that will turn me into a holy *****....

not to get into it- but I fail to see how giving up something trivial in your life is remotely close to dying in one of the most long and inhuman ways possible.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

It's supposed to be something that's not easy for you, that is a struggle so we can get an idea of his suffering. I originally said meat but really that's not suffering for me because I can't eat it anyway (for medical reasons)... I was thinking chocolate. That will be a struggle that will turn me into a holy *****....

not to get into it- but I fail to see how giving up something trivial in your life is remotely close to dying in one of the most long and inhuman ways possible.

but... it's symbolic
  • JoRocka
    Options

but... it's symbolic

oooohhhhoooooooooo

<insert gold halo and trumpets>

all makes sense now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Lent used to mean in my family that at the end (on Easter Sunday) we got to eat crescia. But now we just eat it whenever we want.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

I'm not Catholic but still giving something up during Lent, not for the church, but to concentrate and focus on what Jesus has done for me. I think you may be missing the point of Lent. Wink.

Lent isn't just for Catholics any longer, they did give it the name (the world Lent in various anglo languages meaning 'spring') and used it to show respect and thanks for Jesus. It was originally 40 days (to represent Jesus' 40 days in the desert) and I believe it was full fasting... then they changed it to just meat... then again to just on Fridays... then again to Meat's ok on Friday's give up whatever the heck you want (I could be wrong about all this, Im not Catholic so never learned the full history).

You are still supposed to fast on Ash Wednesday (today) and on Good Friday and not eat meat. You can have one meal and then a couple small snacks whenever you would eat your other 2 meals so its not a full blown fast. You are also not to eat meat on Fridays during Lent (I don't know about anyone else by Friday Fish Fry is a big thing where I live no matter what time of year). Then, for Lent which lasts 40 days, you sacrifice something or commit to doing good deeds that you wouldn't normally do to remember the sacrifices that Jesus did during the 40 days.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg

^^ I aim for double that amount.

Comparison:

chart-proteincomparison.gif

OP: someone mentioned fish. I'm not Catholic, but I look forward to Lent for the Friday Fish Fry at the local Catholic church. Love me some fried fish! Lots of protein!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Oh wow! 4 whole grams of protein in a potato, we're saved!

Vegetarian propaganda aside most people require more protein than 40-50 grams and a lot of those foods are high in calories or carbs which people are trying to avoid.

IKR? I'm always amused when someone says peanut butter is a great source of protein. It's not. Hell, my reduced-fat peanut butter *still* has more grams of fat than protein per 2tbsp serving (8g protein/ 12g fat). To me, a *good* source of protein has 10+ grams of protein per serving. A *great* source has 20g.

But hey, to each their own.

^^ Great source of fat, moderate protein, but too yummy to avoid! :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I went to catholic school, and I can remember during lent the brothers would gather for a lobster feast every friday night during lent. I always had a problem with this. I cheap hamburger honors the idea of sacrificing something more than lobsterfest. Honoring the letter of the rule while ignoring the spirit of it never sat well with me.

That's something that always baffled me too. But I figure that since it's not my religion, I'll just let it go. I wish our local Catholic church did lobster. Love it! :ohwell:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Please explain to me the benefits of a religion where you change the rules to fit how you'd like to live. Isn't that convenient? What are the rules for if you are just going to change them to your own needs and/or desires?

IN for the benefits of religion....

all-ears.jpg
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I went to catholic school, and I can remember during lent the brothers would gather for a lobster feast every friday night during lent. I always had a problem with this. I cheap hamburger honors the idea of sacrificing something more than lobsterfest. Honoring the letter of the rule while ignoring the spirit of it never sat well with me.

That's something that always baffled me too. But I figure that since it's not my religion, I'll just let it go. I wish our local Catholic church did lobster. Love it! :ohwell:

Well Catholic churches HAVE always been the gaudy ones :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    yeah I just don't get it- I mean meat- dead animal- fish is an animal- so I'd be puzzled to not understand how a basic human couldn't get that- but thankfully those people are dead- so whatever. I mean I get WHY they would eat fish- but not considering it meat- I've never gotten that. like you said- **shrug** just try to fix the left overs of that in today's population LOL

A LOT of people even today don't consider fish meat. Heck, I've come across an awful lot of people who think only beef is meat. Chicken, pork, fish, etc., they think are not.

When my son was little, he thought all meat was chicken. He'd say, "Mommy, what kind of chicken is this, cow or pig?" :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Nowadays Lent is a way for Christian's of all denominations to thank Jesus for his suffering to give up something for those 40 days before Easter (the time he spent in the desert).

Not all of them. Lots of denominations still view it as a Catholic thing. I can't imagine my parents (A/G) giving up meat for a day, let alone for 40 days. (And my dad can't eat fish very often because of gout.) And my friend is Baptist and still teases about "The Catholics and their guilt." (even though Baptists tend to be Hellfire/Brimstone as well)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Please explain to me the benefits of a religion where you change the rules to fit how you'd like to live. Isn't that convenient? What are the rules for if you are just going to change them to your own needs and/or desires?

IN for the benefits of religion....

all-ears.jpg

Now that's just adorable!
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Nowadays Lent is a way for Christian's of all denominations to thank Jesus for his suffering to give up something for those 40 days before Easter (the time he spent in the desert).

Not all of them. Lots of denominations still view it as a Catholic thing. I can't imagine my parents (A/G) giving up meat for a day, let alone for 40 days. (And my dad can't eat fish very often because of gout.) And my friend is Baptist and still teases about "The Catholics and their guilt." (even though Baptists tend to be Hellfire/Brimstone as well)

yeah not even most of them. it's a way for people to "give up chocolate" and try and lose weight for a couple weeks.

yep no chocolate totally = dying and suffering and all that jazz.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

yeah not even most of them. it's a way for people to "give up chocolate" and try and lose weight for a couple weeks.

yep no chocolate totally = dying and suffering and all that jazz.

:laugh:

And not to mention that it was Jesus who said that what goes in the mouth should not be considered sinful, but what comes out of the mouth. (because the mouth speaks from the heart)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

I don't think it has to do with his dying on the cross, but what he suffered his 40 says in the desert... which is what Lent represents.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I usually give up meat and chocolate, but like you, i cannot give up meat this year. Chocolate is easy but I've given up a lot of things since Thanksgiving lol It's hard to leave anymore things behind.

Maybe I can adopt a new way of thinking for Lent. Be positive and not give up
  • JoRocka
    Options

I don't think it has to do with his dying on the cross, but what he suffered his 40 says in the desert... which is what Lent represents.

oh my bad. Let me rephrase.
    It's EXACTLY like that. yes_ i see it now- I understand: the blisters and sunburn- dehydration and constant hunger- just like giving up chocolate or alcohol.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

so giving up chocolate in your climate controlled house, driving your car to and from work, messing with your iPhone and iPad.... yeah... seems about equivalent to suffering in a friggin desert for a month and a half. :drinker:
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    I usually give up meat and chocolate, but like you, i cannot give up meat this year. Chocolate is easy but I've given up a lot of things since Thanksgiving lol It's hard to leave anymore things behind.

Isn't. That. Exactly. The. Point?

smh
This discussion has been closed.