Large amounts of meat, cheese deadly as smoking

Options
58Rock
58Rock Posts: 176 Member
Just a little more information available to aid in educated decisions about diet and health.

Interesting research however, on the aspect of plant based proteins not having the same alleged detremental affects as animal based protein.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/03/04/eating-large-amounts-meat-cheese-may-be-as-deadly-as-smoking-study-shows/?intcmp=features

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If you smoke while eating large amounts of meat and cheese, do they cancel each other out?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you switch to an L-Nutra (longevity diet) asap you should live to 100.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you switch to an L-Nutra (longevity diet) asap you should live to 100.

:laugh: - but don't forget to start eating that meat protein again when you're above 66...
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    As a lifter in her early forties who has been consuming a good deal of protein on a daily basis (typically at least 100g), this article is certainly not what I wanted to read...
  • keithemp
    keithemp Posts: 71
    Options
    As a lifter in her early forties who has been consuming a good deal of protein on a daily basis (typically at least 100g), this article is certainly not what I wanted to read...

It's fox news..... I wouldn't take it as fact.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    as a reformed smoker and meat eater, I beg to differ.

LOL @ Fox "News" for you nutritional and fitness info...or any info for that matter.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    If I stopped eating large quantities of meat and cheese the consequences would be 100% fatal to those around me. I eat that stuff for the wellbeing of all humanity, so your welcome. :wink:

Rigger
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eating large amounts of anything will have effects.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    Let's see, how many male movie stars have died from cancer? Because they all (at one time or another ) experimented with HGH, which contains IS IGF-1. It seems that one would have to take PED's for a very long time to succumb to cancer.

Although, this 2007 Government article supports the Fox News story you posted... (twilight zone theme song ensues)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17349798
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    You know, one study doesn't really make it truth. The results need to be replicated in other research before we start going off about how animal protein is killing us, and there may very well be other factors at play that led to the higher mortality rates in the group studied.

That said, the research was published in a scientific journal, not on the Fox News website (for those of you who are claiming that it's crap because of a Fox news link)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    what?! what is this new novel idea proclaiming moderation? hmmm, I think the concept needs more studies.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options

It's fox news..... I wouldn't take it as fact.

Fox News did not conduct the study. Researchers at the University of Southern California conducted the study. The important issue here is the emphasis on "large" amounts of animal protein. Additionally, as I mentioned earlier, they did not see the same harmful results when it came to "large" amounts of plant based proteins.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Everything is going to kill you. Eat the meat and cheese if you like it.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I take everything professional researchers and even my doctor say with a grain of salt. These people have to please the groups who pay their bills and will say anything to justify their loans and grants thusly.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you smoke while eating large amounts of meat and cheese, do they cancel each other out?

Yes. Yes, they do.
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Fox "News" - Riiight.
  • carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is not the first study to say that eating large portions of high fat protein isn't good for you. Haven't we all heard that a portion of protein should be the size of the palm of your hand? I believe in "all things in moderation."
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I don't like reading info from news sites they're so opinionated
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ^^ yup
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Fox News - Fair and Balanced.

Yeah. Right. Moving on to more relevant topics of the day.