So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    mom3over40 wrote: »

I concur about getting an HRM. Worst case, it will tell you to slow down (not stop). Seriously, when I realized that my "OMG, I'm going to pass out" times were in the 190's BPM, and I realized that I just needed to slow down instead of stop, that helped.

Yup. I have terrible trouble running up hill. I always thought I was going to pass out...then I looked and saw that I was around 180, not redlining at 205 or something.

It sucked because it gave me no excuse not to run hills.

This leads me to ask: what is a safe heart rate zone? Is it related to age? I don't have a HRM but I often run on treadmills and my heart rate could go above 180 at the end and my veins pop out from my forehead. I was worried if I am pushing myself too hard since somewhere I read our maximum heart rate is 220-age (=177 in my case) But is sounds like 180 is not a big deal, or just that you are much younger?

If you didn't pass out, the heart rate was safe. There's no such thing as an unsafe heart rate unless you have a medical condition that warrants restricting it or causes it to run unusually high (such as atrial fibrillation).

This pretty much. I am in my 30s, so by that measure I shouldn't be going 180, but that scale is pretty inaccurate. My HR for something like a marathon is usually around 150, more for shorter faster races. 180 isn't comfortable by any means, but its not dangerous. I'll start seeing spots and getting woozy around 200. That's when I back off. Not because I'll have a heart attack, but because I don't want to pass out.

The formula of age minus a certain number to determine maximum heart rate is just to give you a general ballpark. And it's A HUGE ballpark. Mine should theoretically be 178 but I routinely hit the mid 180s in shorter intervals and have hit 190 in things like 5K races and other things where I'm really pushing it. The only way to know for sure what your maximum heart rate is is to test it. But be prepared for some "discomfort".

It's not much of an issue until you get to a point where you're doing specific workouts for things like lactate threshold and VO2 max. I like to know so that I can have an idea on longer runs if I'm going too hard up front and need to ease off or if I could stand to step it up on tempo runs and the like.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I concur about getting an HRM. Worst case, it will tell you to slow down (not stop). Seriously, when I realized that my "OMG, I'm going to pass out" times were in the 190's BPM, and I realized that I just needed to slow down instead of stop, that helped.

Yup. I have terrible trouble running up hill. I always thought I was going to pass out...then I looked and saw that I was around 180, not redlining at 205 or something.

This leads me to ask: what is a safe heart rate zone? Is it related to age? I don't have a HRM but I often run on treadmills and my heart rate could go above 180 at the end and my veins pop out from my forehead. I was worried if I am pushing myself too hard since somewhere I read our maximum heart rate is 220-age (=177 in my case) But is sounds like 180 is not a big deal, or just that you are much younger?

I'm 43 and I've seen 187. The 220 - age is just an estimate. It doesn't feel comfortable at all but it won't kill you to go over that number from the formula. I'll probably sit right at 180 - 185 for nearly all of a 5k.

Since your heart won't go faster, your muscles can't get an increased amount of oxygen or blood to remove lactic acid and they'll hit a wall. When you hit that wall you slow way the F down really quick which is why the "if you're out of breath slow down" gets repeated all the time. It's not that it will damage you. You'll just get winded quickly if you get into the anaerobic zone. Since running should be fun that ruins everything. :smile:
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Otterluv, @DopeItUp, @ThickMcRunFast and @sjohnny. You helped me to understand. I found myself to be quite competitive in nature. So, I want to make sure I am not doing something stupid to my body when I saw my heart rate reached that number.

Thanks again.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

Then you be that good friend, get to know him better and encourage him on his wall, over PMs or in a thread that can be personalized for him. He was using this thread, a stickied thread, as his own personal running advice/therapy zone. This is a thread for asking a question, getting advice maybe asking a follow up for clarification and then moving on. It's not for asking the same question over and over and then giving incessant excuses for why the advice given isn't right for him personally.

As a friend, you should have let him know that.

Well, I came here because on his wall I saw his post here and I wanted to be that good friend and see what was being said. I don't see anything on this thread that tells me it is a stickie and I didn't see him asking the same thing over and over again. He just asked what everyone's initial motivation was for running and he responded to the feedback he was receiving.

I didn't see anything in MFP's policy that says it is inappropriate to respond to advice with why something may not work for you.

If the post is that important to not have a discussion on it, then lock it so more threads cannot be posted here.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    OP- Maybe I should inbox this but maybe others want to know as well. Back in the day, like 20 years ago (wow, that just made me feel old) I used to be a runner as a part of my training for soccer. 5 miles every other day, up hills, road running.... hated every minute of it but I was in good shape and a it made me a great player.

Fast forward 20 years... 4 knee surgeries resulting in a total replacement and at least a 100 pounds heavier. I keep saying I'm gonna get back to running but at this point, need major guidance and am worried that the weight and knee just won't allow it. And, my treadmill is old and has no timer or reading rack for a timer so couch to 5k is out.

Thoughts?!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, to read later!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I'm 43 and I've seen 187. The 220 - age is just an estimate. It doesn't feel comfortable at all but it won't kill you to go over that number from the formula. I'll probably sit right at 180 - 185 for nearly all of a 5k.

Since your heart won't go faster, your muscles can't get an increased amount of oxygen or blood to remove lactic acid and they'll hit a wall. When you hit that wall you slow way the F down really quick which is why the "if you're out of breath slow down" gets repeated all the time. It's not that it will damage you. You'll just get winded quickly if you get into the anaerobic zone. Since running should be fun that ruins everything. :smile:

Ok, maybe this is why I am not enjoying my run much. I just want it to finish quickly :smile:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Then you be that good friend, get to know him better and encourage him on his wall, over PMs or in a thread that can be personalized for him. He was using this thread, a stickied thread, as his own personal running advice/therapy zone. This is a thread for asking a question, getting advice maybe asking a follow up for clarification and then moving on. It's not for asking the same question over and over and then giving incessant excuses for why the advice given isn't right for him personally.

Well, I came here because on his wall I saw his post here and I wanted to be that good friend and see what was being said. I don't see anything on this thread that tells me it is a stickie and I didn't see him asking the same thing over and over again. He just asked what everyone's initial motivation was for running and he responded to the feedback he was receiving.

I didn't see anything in MFP's policy that says it is inappropriate to respond to advice with why something may not work for you.

If the post is that important to not have a discussion on it, then lock it so more threads cannot be posted here.

The post is for general questions about starting running - locking it would kinda defeat the purpose of the thread.
    -
    Now please stop threadjacking,

So..back to cardiololololling with ThickMcRunFast...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    OP- Maybe I should inbox this but maybe others want to know as well. Back in the day, like 20 years ago (wow, that just made me feel old) I used to be a runner as a part of my training for soccer. 5 miles every other day, up hills, road running.... hated every minute of it but I was in good shape and a it made me a great player.

Fast forward 20 years... 4 knee surgeries resulting in a total replacement and at least a 100 pounds heavier. I keep saying I'm gonna get back to running but at this point, need major guidance and am worried that the weight and knee just won't allow it. And, my treadmill is old and has no timer or reading rack for a timer so couch to 5k is out.

Thoughts?!

Do you have a smart phone? Even if your treadmill doesn't have a timer, you could download the app which has the timer. If you have no place to hold it, there are armbands you can get for the phone that are pretty cheap.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Thoughts?!

A watch? Or if you have a smartphone there are a number of apps that will time it all out for you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You kind of glossed over the whole dumping down the emotional stuff (which even he admitted to doing). Asking basic training advice, how to get over a wall/stall in miles or tme, etc...that's cool to ask.

Trying to justify running, asking about the reasons for it, etc...that all should have been done in his own thread.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Stop! Just stop.

Please.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Thoughts?!
    I don't have a smart phone, and I run outside. For C25k, I downloaded free podcasts that had sound cues for the intervals, telling you when to run or walk. There are a lot of them available online, with different types of music. Any MP3 player can play them.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Thoughts?!

Reconstructed knees are a tricky one, and it will require going a bit more slowly and having really good support in your shoes.

As far as timing, a cheap stopwatch will work...or when you are starting, you can even count strides (steps on say, your right foot). I find that 30-40 strides for me equals about 100m. Its sort of a tedious way of doing things, but it does keep your mind occupied as you count (actually I still do it while sprinting - its a way of distracting myself from the pain)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Thoughts?!

Reconstructed knees are a tricky one, and it will require going a bit more slowly and having really good support in your shoes.

As far as timing, a cheap stopwatch will work...or when you are starting, you can even count strides (steps on say, your right foot). I find that 30-40 strides for me equals about 100m. Its sort of a tedious way of doing things, but it does keep your mind occupied as you count (actually I still do it while sprinting - its a way of distracting myself from the pain)

hmmm I might try counting on my sprint intervals - I hate them so much, any distraction is welcome.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »

You seem to be projecting a little.

No one told him to go run a marathon tomorrow. He came with specific complaints (heart rate too high, etc), and was given solid advice, along with the suggestion that perhaps he doesn't need 3 months to run a mile. And that is true.

Sorry you've had troubles, but this is a thread about running and the problems of those who want to run, not your therapy couch.

eta: and of course, only in MFP-land would those who offer solid solutions be 'drill sergeants' and those who say "no, just stay the same, its easier!" be the 'supportive' ones.

What a pronounced difference between your response to handle situation and other user's (@vismal, @usmcmp‌ just to name a few) response whose post have got announced/sticky-ed/nominated.

I guess it takes natural talent to stay calm even in situation of mis-understandings and be willing to work and help those in need.

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha

Excuse me. are you OK?

280827282518.jpg

image.png
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Thoughts?!

hmmm I might try counting on my sprint intervals - I hate them so much, any distraction is welcome.

I count to sets of 20. Even frantic music mashups (like GirlTalk) don't work for me for super quick intervals.

Though for longer intervals, this whole album is awesome. The frantic changes keep my brain interested.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Thoughts?!
    I know what you mean, I wanted to microwave some lasagna for 2 minutes but I can't get my treadmill up the stairs into the kitchen.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    a778c466 wrote: »
    Bump

"a778c466 has deactivated their account."

I guess she bumped a bit too hard. LOL

Solid detective work there.

Alternatively, you accidentally" clicked on her profile.

Yeah, I'm going with the latter.

So anyhow, what is actually going on in here? I mean besides about 100 people who when they try C25k for the Nth time need to go much slower. No, even slower. Still slower. There. Right there. Start there until you're ready to go faster. How will you know when you're ready to go faster? You'll just know. Stop speeding up now. Slower. (Okay, so the real answer to how you'll know when you should speed up is when you can maintain a consistent pace throughout the running portions, but...well, when that happens, you'll know it.)

Anyhow, back to catching up to try to figure out what's going on in here.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wait.

:open_mouth:

MFP wall notifications of posts are back?!?!? This may be the happiest day of my life!

ETA: Oh. So it isn't back...which means that he posted a link to this thread on his wall...probably looking for some WKs to swoop in and engage those offering meaningful advice.

:confused:

This is the worst day ever.

:cry: