Options

Replies

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Wait.

:open_mouth:

MFP wall notifications of posts are back?!?!? This may be the happiest day of my life!

ETA: Oh. So it isn't back...which means that he posted a link to this thread on his wall...probably looking for some WKs to swoop in and engage those offering meaningful advice.

:confused:

This is the worst day ever.

:cry:

sorry, my bad in what brought me here.
    I had bookmarked this thread a long time ago - because I struggle with running in the cold.

In my notifications I saw he posted here so, I came to check it out.

I did not come here to "engage" anyone.
    I never said a single thing bad about anyone here.
  • Karley_Chochard
    Karley_Chochard Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I want to start running, but i am afraid there might be something wrong with my ankle. Whenever i try to run my right ankle gets this horrible pain and I can't even walk after. its usually on the first 5 steps that it happens, and i don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if I have a problem with my ankle. would it be wise to try and strengthen my ankle first? if so how?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I want to start running, but i am afraid there might be something wrong with my ankle. Whenever i try to run my right ankle gets this horrible pain and I can't even walk after. its usually on the first 5 steps that it happens, and i don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if I have a problem with my ankle. would it be wise to try and strengthen my ankle first? if so how?

Did you consult with a physician about it first?
  • Karley_Chochard
    Karley_Chochard Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

No, I did not. Should I?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

No, I did not. Should I?

Yes
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

No, I did not. Should I?

I can't figure out why on earth you wouldn't?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

you should prolly wait to start running until after your fractured ankle has been set and pronounced fully healed. you know, by a doctor and everything.

but that's just my opinion
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

This is definitely something you should see a doctor about. Sudden, intense pain could be a bone chip, a stress fracture, or tendon and ligament problems. Nothing to mess with online.
  • Zazzle1970
    Options
    I am new here, 45 years old I have ALWAYS wanted to be a runner. ALWAYS wanted to run a race. Well I read this today and I have to say I downloaded C25K and went to the gym tonight and I DID IT! Didn't stop and wouldn't let myself think I couldn't do it! I have a long way to go but by the end of the summer I'm going to run my first 5K. Life is to short to sit on the couch and think about it!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Yay @Zazzle1970‌! That is awesome - welcome to the group!!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Zazzle1970 wrote: »
    I am new here, 45 years old I have ALWAYS wanted to be a runner. ALWAYS wanted to run a race. Well I read this today and I have to say I downloaded C25K and went to the gym tonight and I DID IT! Didn't stop and wouldn't let myself think I couldn't do it! I have a long way to go but by the end of the summer I'm going to run my first 5K. Life is to short to sit on the couch and think about it!

Great job! You'll love it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Yay!!! Welcome and hope you enjoy your upcoming 5k :bigsmile:
  • latoyamal
    Options
    Can you use your running shoes to double as your workout shoes?
  • janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    latoyamal wrote: »

I use my running shoes exclusively for running so that they last longer. I track my mileage on them so I know when I'm getting close to replacing them. They then become casual/workout shoes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    latoyamal wrote: »

Retired running shoes, yes. Ideally you shouldn't use the running shoes for anything else as it'll lead to inconsistent wear and tear.

They should last somewhere between 300 and 500 miles, so it's not cost effective to reduce their life by using them for other things.

• warriorx
    warriorx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a question, how much running is too much running in the beginning, I just started running since Monday started doing 3.2 miles, but got to 4 miles today, the weird thing is I still have energy and my legs are not really sore. Should add more to my routine or should I try doing something extra?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    warriorx wrote: »
    I have a question, how much running is too much running in the beginning, I just started running since Monday started doing 3.2 miles, but got to 4 miles today, the weird thing is I still have energy and my legs are not really sore. Should add more to my routine or should I try doing something extra?

10% increase per week is considered safe.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Fantastic!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    warriorx wrote: »

10% increase per week is considered safe.

Yeah, I'd back off a bit. Running is a cumulative stress, so while you feel fine now, you may start to crash and burn after a week or two. If you start to have problems with your eating and sleeping patters, and just feel 'run down', you are already overtrained.