So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    sssgilber wrote: »
    Uhfgood wrote: »
    Sorry for bringing everyone down. I won't post in this thread anymore.

Don't worry my friend. These people are trying to be hard on you to motivate you - kind of like a stereotypical drill sergeant? They mean well.

For those of you that don't know Uhfgood - the fact that he is out and exercising like he is in and of itself is an incredible thing. What's more incredible is he is here asking others for help and sharing his journey.
    While it may not seem like much to many of you - he has overcome a lot of hurdles just to be at this point in his diet/exercise goal.

Uhfgood, it would be very good for you to create a thread to have this discussion. People need to know that they are not alone and you sharing that will help. Having it in another thread will make it easier for people to see it.

Uhfgood, skip the drill sergeants. They're in a different world. Focus on the supportive posts and your own progress.

you have no idea what the word supportive means.

Is it the same as "enabling".
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Don't worry my friend. These people are trying to be hard on you to motivate you - kind of like a stereotypical drill sergeant? They mean well.

For those of you that don't know Uhfgood - the fact that he is out and exercising like he is in and of itself is an incredible thing. What's more incredible is he is here asking others for help and sharing his journey.
    While it may not seem like much to many of you - he has overcome a lot of hurdles just to be at this point in his diet/exercise goal.

Uhfgood, it would be very good for you to create a thread to have this discussion. People need to know that they are not alone and you sharing that will help. Having it in another thread will make it easier for people to see it.

Uhfgood, skip the drill sergeants. They're in a different world. Focus on the supportive posts and your own progress.

Too true.

If you are that freaked out about it, do what I did when I started: get a HRM so that you know that you aren't about to die when you are running. I found that it almost always feels much worse than it really is (at first).

Running can just be really really really really really hard when you start. It is for almost everyone.

ETA: I didn't really think that I was going to die when I started. I'd been cleared by my doctor, etc. BUT, it was helpful to see how the number correlated to my perceived effort. I was perceiving that I was putting out much more effort than I actually was. MUCH more.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^This. When I really got into I spent a few weeks just walking. At first at a pace that got me winded, then I'd back off a bit. And I progressively went harder until I was really moving quickly and working up a sweat. Running is much harder, but that will help ease the pain a bit.

And amazingly enough, when you start to demand more of your body on a consistent basis, your body starts to adapt itself in various ways to make that level of activity easier.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Rainbows and unicorns are always the best tools for progressing. WTG!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Otterluv wrote: »

Too true.

If you are that freaked out about it, do what I did when I started: get a HRM so that you know that you aren't about to die when you are running. I found that it almost always feels much worse than it really is (at first).

Running can just be really really really really really hard when you start. It is for almost everyone.

ETA: I didn't really think that I was going to die when I started. I'd been cleared by my doctor, etc. BUT, it was helpful to see how the number correlated to my perceived effort. I was perceiving that I was putting out much more effort than I actually was. MUCH more.

I concur about getting an HRM. Worst case, it will tell you to slow down (not stop). Seriously, when I realized that my "OMG, I'm going to pass out" times were in the 190's BPM, and I realized that I just needed to slow down instead of stop, that helped.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Otterluv wrote: »

Too true.

I concur about getting an HRM. Worst case, it will tell you to slow down (not stop). Seriously, when I realized that my "OMG, I'm going to pass out" times were in the 190's BPM, and I realized that I just needed to slow down instead of stop, that helped.

Yup. I have terrible trouble running up hill. I always thought I was going to pass out...then I looked and saw that I was around 180, not redlining at 205 or something.

It sucked because it gave me no excuse not to run hills.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Runners are, in the main, pretty supportive. It's not pom-poms and cheerleading supportive, but it's more about recognising that everyone needs a nudge to get over their threshold and get out of their comfort zone. Largely because we've all been there at some point and needed that nudge ourselves.

Uncritical pink sparkly eyes-and-teeth jazz hands type stuff doesn't really wash. When @Uhfgood can run for 20 or 30 minutes pretty much everyone will say well done, and respect the fact that he alone has got himself to that point, whatever his reasons for getting there.

Equally the support might involve just a reminder to ease it back at times.

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Sometimes, you can go further with that support by getting to know someone.

I'm not saying to give someone rainbows and unicorns.
    I'm saying pushing someone to give 110% is different for different folks.

If you push someone too hard that is already struggling, they may just see a reason to give up.

Some people face their challenges due to medical conditions that need to be worked through as well and they may not want to talk about it openly.

I have a gentic joint connectivity issue, I know what it is like to be pushed too hard. When I first got out of college and was wanting to learn to lift (under the guidance of a personal trainer) I was told I had to lift heavier despite my thoughts that I didn't think my joints could support it. I wanted to lift the same weight for days until I felt bored before increasing my weights. But, I listened to my trainer, that I wouldn't gain if I didn't increase.

I woke up without being able to lift my head; a trip to the emergency room; and a year of bed rest did wonders for getting over my 'exercise hump' - and it took me 15 years later to decide I needed to find a way to get past my limits. I did a lot of damage to myself in that time and have lost a lot of weight in the process and three years ago wanted to get back into lifting. Again, listening to a trainer - I hurt myself; not as bad and I recovered in a few months. This repeated several times, and with each time I became less and less believing that I would ever be able to ever lift. Now, I don't ever want to go to a gym or see a "trainer".

You can push someone based on what you think "Everyone" should be able to do - and you can hurt them, or discourage them altogether.

My personal experience has taught me, getting to know someone and understanding why they have limits sometimes helps to push them correctly. I finally found a trainer that can guide me, and has the patience to help me through my days. Despite that I am on 4 pain killers a day - my trainer knows how to make me give 110% for my condition. It's no where near the levels of what you would see in a gym; my progress may be incredible slow. But, I am progressing and I am not in the hospital from doing "too much" to my joints.

I would never be there if someone wasn't willing to get to know me and understand where I am, where I want to be, and take the time to find out what is really holding me back.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm not saying to give someone rainbows and unicorns.
    I'm saying pushing someone to give 110% is different for different folks.

If you push someone too hard that is already struggling, they may just see a reason to give up.

Some people face their challenges due to medical conditions that need to be worked through as well and they may not want to talk about it openly.

I have a gentic joint connectivity issue, I know what it is like to be pushed too hard. When I first got out of college and was wanting to learn to lift (under the guidance of a personal trainer) I was told I had to lift heavier despite my thoughts that I didn't think my joints could support it. I wanted to lift the same weight for days until I felt bored before increasing my weights. But, I listened to my trainer, that I wouldn't gain if I didn't increase.

I woke up without being able to lift my head; a trip to the emergency room; and a year of bed rest did wonders for getting over my 'exercise hump' - and it took me 15 years later to decide I needed to find a way to get past my limits. I did a lot of damage to myself in that time and have lost a lot of weight in the process and three years ago wanted to get back into lifting. Again, listening to a trainer - I hurt myself; not as bad and I recovered in a few months. This repeated several times, and with each time I became less and less believing that I would ever be able to ever lift. Now, I don't ever want to go to a gym or see a "trainer".

You can push someone based on what you think "Everyone" should be able to do - and you can hurt them, or discourage them altogether.

My personal experience has taught me, getting to know someone and understanding why they have limits sometimes helps to push them correctly. I finally found a trainer that can guide me, and has the patience to help me through my days. Despite that I am on 4 pain killers a day - my trainer knows how to make me give 110% for my condition. It's no where near the levels of what you would see in a gym; my progress may be incredible slow. But, I am progressing and I am not in the hospital from doing "too much" to my joints.

I would never be there if someone wasn't willing to get to know me and understand where I am, where I want to be, and take the time to find out what is really holding me back.

You seem to be projecting a little.

No one told him to go run a marathon tomorrow. He came with specific complaints (heart rate too high, etc), and was given solid advice, along with the suggestion that perhaps he doesn't need 3 months to run a mile. And that is true.

Sorry you've had troubles, but this is a thread about running and the problems of those who want to run, not your therapy couch.

eta: and of course, only in MFP-land would those who offer solid solutions be 'drill sergeants' and those who say "no, just stay the same, its easier!" be the 'supportive' ones.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's fine... but I don't necessarily want to give myself a heart attack, or at least feel like I was going to... So I would take it easier and build up gradually.

You're probably fine unless you have an underlying heart condition. You can't kill yourself running too fast anymore than you can kill yourself by holding your breath too long. Your body will take over and shut you down if you're overdoing it. Running too hard, too fast and your mind will be screaming at you to stop. Just like holding your breath. The thoughts about breathing get stronger and stronger till you can't overcome them.

If you're overdoing it you won't for long. By the way, this is why I dislike 5ks. I feel this way from about mile 2 until the end. "You gonna die."

TL;DR - Take it easy and don't sweat it. Unless you're working out of course. Then sweating is good.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

<snip>

My personal experience has taught me, getting to know someone and understanding why they have limits sometimes helps to push them correctly. I finally found a trainer that can guide me, and has the patience to help me through my days.Despite that I am on 4 pain killers a day - my trainer knows how to make me give 110% for my condition. It's no where near the levels of what you would see in a gym; my progress may be incredible slow. But, I am progressing and I am not in the hospital from doing "too much" to my joints.

And I'm going to guess you pay that trainer.

People on this thread are giving their advice (excellent advice) free of charge to help people.

You want one on one support where the person takes the time to know you and all your issues - go pay for it. Otherwise take the advice here and say thank you.
  • jessupbrady
    Options

No one told him to go run a marathon tomorrow. He came with specific complaints (heart rate too high, etc), and was given solid advice, along with the suggestion that perhaps he doesn't need 3 months to run a mile. And that is true.

Sorry you've had troubles, but this is a thread about running and the problems of those who want to run, not your therapy couch.

eta: and of course, only in MFP-land would those who offer solid solutions be 'drill sergeants' and those who say "no, just stay the same, its easier!" be the 'supportive' ones.

I didn't dump my story for therapy;

I'm in the runners forum because I have been trying to learn to run(especially in the cold); Uhfgood, is in my friends list and I came here to see what he posted to help follow up with him, if needed.

My story was just as an example as to how solid advice isn't always the best advice.
    I never said the 'drill sergeants' style wasn't solid or good advice. Just trying to say 'one-size' does not fit all.

I never said, "no, just stay the same, it's easier" - that would be you projecting. He needs to be pushed; I never said that he didn't. I said "pushing someone to give 110% is different for different folks"
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Yup. I have terrible trouble running up hill. I always thought I was going to pass out...then I looked and saw that I was around 180, not redlining at 205 or something.

This leads me to ask: what is a safe heart rate zone? Is it related to age? I don't have a HRM but I often run on treadmills and my heart rate could go above 180 at the end and my veins pop out from my forehead. I was worried if I am pushing myself too hard since somewhere I read our maximum heart rate is 220-age (=177 in my case) But is sounds like 180 is not a big deal, or just that you are much younger?
  • jessupbrady
    Options

People on this thread are giving their advice (excellent advice) free of charge to help people.

You want one on one support where the person takes the time to know you and all your issues - go pay for it. Otherwise take the advice here and say thank you.

I did not say anyone's advice was bad.

I merely said getting to know someone can help push them even further.
    There are friend's lists on this site for a reason.

Uhfgood could use some friends who know more about running and help him even further.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »

This leads me to ask: what is a safe heart rate zone? Is it related to age? I don't have a HRM but I often run on treadmills and my heart rate could go above 180 at the end and my veins pop out from my forehead. I was worried if I am pushing myself too hard since somewhere I read our maximum heart rate is 220-age (=177 in my case) But is sounds like 180 is not a big deal, or just that you are much younger?

I'm your age, and 180 is not going to kill me. Not even close. It happens whenever I run uphill. Or "fast". Or, actually, probably at all as I haven't run in a couple of months.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Uhfgood could use some friends who know more about running and help him even further.

Right. But this is a thread aimed at the general populace who wants to start running. It's was not started to learn how to most effectively prod Uhfgood to move a little further.

So his friendslist or his own thread or a group may be better suited to his unique and special circumstances.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

I didn't dump my story for therapy;

I'm in the runners forum because I have been trying to learn to run(especially in the cold); Uhfgood, is in my friends list and I came here to see what he posted to help follow up with him, if needed.

My story was just as an example as to how solid advice isn't always the best advice.
    I never said the 'drill sergeants' style wasn't solid or good advice. Just trying to say 'one-size' does not fit all.

I never said, "no, just stay the same, it's easier" - that would be you projecting. He needs to be pushed; I never said that he didn't. I said "pushing someone to give 110% is different for different folks"

I don't think anyone here did give 'one size fits all' advice. In fact, we all gave very specific advice to fit the story we were told. And no one pushed for 110%. Hell, I said to slow down as far as pace goes. But starting up running from a sedentary position...well, there's gonna be some discomfort. You can avoid discomfort and stay the same, or you can embrace it and change.

I don't know the specifics of why anyone is here - but from what was said, Uhfgood wanted to change. So there is necessary discomfort in that. He is a grown man and fully capable of reading what everyone has to say and then making his own choices.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

If you didn't pass out, the heart rate was safe. There's no such thing as an unsafe heart rate unless you have a medical condition that warrants restricting it or causes it to run unusually high (such as atrial fibrillation).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

If you didn't pass out, the heart rate was safe. There's no such thing as an unsafe heart rate unless you have a medical condition that warrants restricting it or causes it to run unusually high (such as atrial fibrillation).

This pretty much. I am in my 30s, so by that measure I shouldn't be going 180, but that scale is pretty inaccurate. My HR for something like a marathon is usually around 150, more for shorter faster races. 180 isn't comfortable by any means, but its not dangerous. I'll start seeing spots and getting woozy around 200. That's when I back off. Not because I'll have a heart attack, but because I don't want to pass out.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Then you be that good friend, get to know him better and encourage him on his wall, over PMs or in a thread that can be personalized for him. He was using this thread, a stickied thread, as his own personal running advice/therapy zone. This is a thread for asking a question, getting advice maybe asking a follow up for clarification and then moving on. It's not for asking the same question over and over and then giving incessant excuses for why the advice given isn't right for him personally.

As a friend, you should have let him know that.