What are some popular healthy foods that you hate?

Options
Here are some of mine...

Hummus - I really wanted to like this stuff, so I tried many varieties/brands/flavors and types of crackers/bread/veggies to dip with. I just don't get the allure - BLECH!

Carrots - I don't mind them cooked to the point that they're mush in stews or soups, but the only way I can eat them raw is if they're covered in Ranch. That kind of takes away from the healthiness of them, don't you think?

Celery - It's crunchy water. That's it. No flavor. "It's negative calories!" - it better be, it's like eating nothing!

Cauliflower "mashed potatoes" - I tried so many different recipes and tips from people here and other places, but the texture is never creamy. It's like eating grits, which I hate.

Quinoa - It's really the texture of this that gets me. It's odd.

Greek yogurt - I believe I've posted a question about this. Nasty, bitter stuff - even the flavored varieties.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kale is digusting- how they can even sell it as food I have no idea.
  • trush30
    trush30 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mine are celery and mushrooms, hate them both with a passion!!!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Agree with the kale.

Also, it's not a "health" food, but I freaking hate milk.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Olives and beets!
  • kung_fu_red
    Options
    I love hummus!

Hate kale and cauliflower.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    5th piece of pepperoni pizza....jut can't do it...blech.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Definately agree with the kale esp when mixed with spinich in a smoothie...:sick:

I like spinich...but not kale.

hmmm what else...not a big fan of rice...brown or white...I don't mind wild rice.

but I basically will eat almost anything..at least twice...maybe 3x
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've actually never tried kale. I had a feeling I'd hate it.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am going to the odd one out and say Potatoes, in all its forms and varieties. Yukon gold type, new potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams are on the top of my Never to eat list.

I have never liked them, even when little.

Another is mushrooms

And why oh why do almost ALL vegetarian options need mushrooms. Mushrooms need not be on anyones plate.

Boyfriend hates kale, I love it
  • gilbertgrapes
    Options
    Kale is pretty blech and hard to eat in it's original state. There are some tricks to massage it to be edible. Literally. Take a cup full of kale, wash thoroughly and then grab either teaspoon/tablespoon of flax seed oil (my pref) or olive oil and dribble over the kale. Massage the leaves (seriously like your rubbing kinks out of someones shoulders) for about a minute or so, to fully coat and soften the leaves. Kale will turn a deep green color and be "softer". Sprinkle some sea salt and mix. Voila. Totally transforms the kale. Now either add this to a salad with light dressing, or eat it plain if you wish or add to smoothie.

My hated food: eggplant.
  • piejin
    piejin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Kale is SO bitter that I really feel like you have to train yourself up to it, haha. Like go from lettuce to spinach to mustard greens/chard to kale... Try to go straight to kale and it can be overwhelming, definitely.

The only food I can think of that I don't love is celery! I think it tastes gross and serves no purpose other than being a vehicle for peanut butter, and in that case I'd just cut out the middle man and use a spoon. :bigsmile:
  • tolkienite
    tolkienite Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. In any form. Why?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Kale is pretty blech and hard to eat in it's original state. There are some tricks to massage it to be edible. Literally. Take a cup full of kale, wash thoroughly and then grab either teaspoon/tablespoon of flax seed oil (my pref) or olive oil and dribble over the kale. Massage the leaves (seriously like your rubbing kinks out of someones shoulders) for about a minute or so, to fully coat and soften the leaves. Kale will turn a deep green color and be "softer". Sprinkle some sea salt and mix. Voila. Totally transforms the kale. Now either add this to a salad with light dressing, or eat it plain if you wish or add to smoothie.

why would you bother though- my life is to short to waste preparing crappy food to taste better when they are other more delicious foods I could prepare to be even MOAR delicious!!! MAUH HA HA H AHHA

I have tried it in several forms- only variation was in a smoothie but it had spinnach in it- so I mean- big whoop- that doesn't count.

yeah so a big fat no on the kale.

also- I second mushrooms- it's a fungus. I can't get on board with that.
  • sunandskies
    sunandskies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fish. I don't care that it's crazy lean protein and all that, I just can't get past the smell.
    Even when people say it doesn't smell I swear it does.
    It's possibly a mental block after a fishing incident when I was little involving some crazy fish that cut my hand.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I bought some kale chips....tasted like I imagine sawdust would taste.

Cottage cheese - lumpy and sour! :sick:

Jello.........I hate the feel of it in my mouth.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. Nasty little black balls of chaff that get stuck in your teeth and taste like s**t.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have been reading through this so far I like all of the foods! I am actually a bit surprised by that.

I am not crazy about raw cauliflower but it's okay cooked into other things.

I also dislike raw tomatoes, but will eat them cooked.

Mostly I have a hatred for salads in general. I do eat them, and enjoy them if there's boiled egg, crab, tuna, baby spinach, and/or some kind of tasty dressing like chipotle ranch or honey mustard involved. But to have a salad every single day for lunch...ewww...no. I think I have a bit of a mental block on that as growing up all the older women I knew who were dieters ate iceberg lettuce and tomato salads 24/7 and that just made me want to gag. I still feel somewhat that way. It's been like an awesome revelation for me that I can eat stuff other than SALADS!

I've also NEVER in my life ordered a fast food salad and don't plan to.
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Celery! Blech....

Mushrooms! Blech....
  • KrispyNoodles
    KrispyNoodles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, Millett, Buckwheat, any of those raw bliss balls - YUCK.

I love kale though, but we prepare it differently. I don't understand the kale fad and why people on this continent insist on eating it raw or as chips - that's not how it's supposed to be eaten as it's very difficult to digest and it does taste bitter. I grew up in Europe and we only ate it in winter. It was never harvested until it had a good frost over it. It was long, slow braised with pork or sausages and other seasonings, like onions and/or leeks. Usually took at least 2 hours to cook. When it's done it's a very flavourful dish that's easy to eat and digest. No bitterness left at all.
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fish. I know, I know, omega-3s, yadda yadda yadda, but I can't stand it unless it's paired with something unhealthy like mayonnaise, Panko crumbs, or a deep-fryer.

Pita bread and all its derivatives. Unless it's slathered with so much hummus and tzatziki that I can't taste it, pita bread grosses me out.

Kale chips. My friends swear by them, but I think they're disgusting.