How much do you tip your dentist?

Options

Replies

• Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options

No thanks, and my username isn't an STD, maybe if you tipped your Doctor you would have been Properly diagnosed with Dyslexia years ago..

Stay Safe.

Hate to break it to you, but "chlamydia" is a sexually transmitted disease.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/chlamydia/stdfact-chlamydia.htm

Re-read my user name, then see my previous statement.

Yeah I can read dude.. so you dropped the A and added brah. You're still an STD. :smile:

You're not my type, stop flirting with me. (Seriously.)
    My fiancee is an MD, and I wouldn't have an affair with a woman that doesn't tip MD's, out of respect for her.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think that in alot of western countries--the tip is already "included", shall we say, in the high expense of health care. Secondly, I know that dental work costs alot less in Romania because I live in Italy, and alot of people travel there to get dental work done because it's alot cheaper.

Think again.

Don't have to "think again" once was enough, thank you. My husband's cousin is a dentist and professor here in Italy, and also goes to Albania to teach, so cool your jets, big guy.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Yeah I can read dude.. so you dropped the A and added brah. You're still an STD. :smile:

You're not my type, stop flirting with me. (Seriously.)
    My fiancee is an MD, and I wouldn't have an affair with a woman that doesn't tip MD's, out of respect for her.

You have a very high opinion of yourself. :laugh:
  • Perplexities
    Options
    First of all, I think that in alot of western countries--the tip is already "included", shall we say, in the high expense of health care. Secondly, I know that dental work costs alot less in Romania because I live in Italy, and alot of people travel there to get dental work done because it's alot cheaper.

Think again.

Don't have to "think again" once was enough, thank you. My husband's cousin is a dentist and professor here in Italy, and also goes to Albania to teach, so cool your jets, big guy.

You said "I think that in a lot of western countries the tip is already included. To which I said "Think again."
    Your husband's third cousins uncle being a dentist in a non-western country doesn't have any bearing on anything in regard to whether or not tips are "included" in western medical practices.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Usually at a 45 degree angle. Depends on how much gas he gave me.

:laugh:

Tip a dentist? Is that a new thing? Those are expensive enough already as it is!
  • Perplexities
    Options
    You call Italy a non western country...

I smell a troll, but keep on rolling and trolling

First rule of trolling, never tell you are trolling even if exposed as a troll

I thought he meant The US originally.
    They don't even tip waitresses in Italy, so not surprised by that at all.
    That doesn't change the fact that in the US, it is expected that you tip your Dentist.
  • snowflake954
    Options

Think again.

You said "I think that in a lot of western countries the tip is already included. To which I said "Think again." your husband's third cousins uncle being a dentist in a non-western country doesn't have any bearing on anything in regard to the previous statement you made of.. "I think that in a lot of western countries the tip is already included."

In a western country, if I pay a high price for my coverage, I can think whatever I like. Most people do --as you can see. Oh, and it's my husband's 1st cousin, not 3rd. You made a mistake---hard to accept, I know.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The beauty of living in Sweden: you don't have to tip ANYONE. Sure, if service or food was excellent you can tip at a restaurant, many round up when paying a cab fare, but it's not compulsory. That's what the so called salary is for.

sal·a·ry
    noun \ˈsal-rē, ˈsa-lə-\

: an amount of money that an employee is paid each year
    plural sal·a·ries

No one implied you HAVE to tip, if you HAD to tip it wouldn't be a "TIP" it would be a fee.

The OP was simply asking if 20% was a good amount to tip his Dentist.
    (It's not, I tip 25%) but compared to other people in this thread 20% is a lot more than they give.

But you are implying that people that don't tip are wrong, and have in fact expressed your disgust in this several times.

I'm from the UK, by the way, where I have never heard of anyone tipping their dentist. But here's some figures for you.

My check-up under the NHS - £18.

So let's say I give him your apparently 'acceptable' 25% tip. That would make it £4.50.

The salary of dentists here ranges between £75,000 and £100,000 p/a.

If I were to give my dentist a £4.50 tip he would laugh at me. He would earn £4.50 approximately every 5 and a half minutes.
  • snowflake954
    Options

That doesn't change the fact that in the US, it is expected that you tip your Dentist.

Ignorance is bliss. Yes we tip waitresses in Italy---just less because THE TIP IS ALREADY INCLUDED in your bill--got it?
  • Perplexities
    Options

Think again.

You said "I think that in a lot of western countries the tip is already included. To which I said "Think again." your husband's third cousins uncle being a dentist in a non-western country doesn't have any bearing on anything in regard to the previous statement you made of.. "I think that in a lot of western countries the tip is already included."

In a western country, if I pay a high price for my coverage, I can think whatever I like. Most people do --as you can see. Oh, and it's my husband's 1st cousin, not 3rd. You made a mistake---hard to accept, I know.

You missed where I "missed," "Uncle" as well.

I was simply emphasizing how ridiculous the statement was.

Evidently that went over your head.
  • snowflake954
    Options

He was obviously referring to America, not Italy.

That's an assumption! Not all western is America you know. america is a late western country since it's young compared to Italy

You are intelligent--a true rareity, after listening to Mr "know-it-all".
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I would never tip a dentist but then again I'm not big on tipping anyway
  • Perplexities
    Options

Ignorance is bliss. Yes we tip waitresses in Italy---just less because THE TIP IS ALREADY INCLUDED in your bill--got it?

Really? You don't sound very blissful.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Tip your dentist? Oh about the same amount you tip your gynecologist I'd guess. I'd think a tip would be insulting to a medical professional, but maybe not. :huh:

ETA: I've NEVER, EVER heard of tipping a dentist. How interesting. Where is this happening?
  • snowflake954
    Options

You got it wrong again--bliss is you.

• Perplexities
    Options

Well not everywhere, but in a lot of big cities it indeed is included (stated on your bill most of the times as well) I myself still tip waitresses since i know a few friends working in buiseness like that and they save the tips all together to have an extra end of the year

If it's included in the bill, by definition it is no longer a "tip."
    So you wouldn't be tipping unless you gave additional money on top of this pseudo "tip"
  • Perplexities
    Options

I sense a great deal of bliss emanating from you after your last few posts.

Maybe you're right about the whole "ignorance is bliss," after all.

My apologies.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    It's actually stated on the bill as +15% TIP! So how can you argue on that not being a tip.

I still pay a little extra for waitresses and such since they could use the money much better then someone making over € 100.000 a year just for normal work

Sorry, by definition that isn't actually a "TIP" but I've seen that here in the US as well.

They usually only resort to such measures (in the US at least.) after their waitresses aren't making enough money from too many individuals that do not tip.

I understand that in some countries waitresses make a enough money to support themselves without receiving tips, that isn't the case in the US.