15 min of exercise… thought I was going to die. Advice?

Options
12346»

Replies

• traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Start of walking.Walk to the end of the driveway this week,walk half a block and back next week,walk 2 blocks in week 3...and so on...if you have access water aerobics are great for beginners.

This^. Start slow and build up as you get fitter, then add other types of exercise.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The good news is you didn't die. :D

Don't stop. You'll improve more and more each time.

this

This, BUT while it doesn't hurt to do an all out "I think I'm going to die" type workout, you also probably won't be able to do that type of workout every day. Variety is the key to any good balanced workout program, that and progression. Aim to do 15 minutes every day to begin with but mix things up so some workouts make you feel like you're about to die and others are more like active recovery and the rest are somewhere in-between. Consistency is always trumps so find something you can stick to week in week out.

The other element that I have mentioned is progression. The human body is an amazing machine and actually adapts quite quickly to stress (exercise is form of stress) by becoming more efficient. Once a workout starts to feel easier you need to progress either through higher intensity efforts or through increased workout time.

Whatever you do, keep at it. It'll get easier from here on in. If it helps at all, I've been exercising nearly my whole life and still feel like I'm going to die after certain workouts. It doesn't get easier you just get better at it :)

Good luck!!!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm with the people saying just walk and eat in the proper calorie range. If you're not planning to get conditioned for some event, you never need to bother with exercise that leaves you feeling wiped out. Walking is just fine. That and a proper diet will allow you to lose all the weight you want.
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I started walking my dog at 315 pounds and gradually increased time and distance. Next came treadmill not a fan but it made me walk faster did first 5k walk @280. Walk away the pounds I'm understanding has a free you tube video if not, available at local library. She does a low impact workout which can be modified according to fitness level. BTW I started at 59. Set a small goal walking 5 minutes Many here started where you are. Read success stories. You can do this!
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you smoke? then quit.