Was this rude because the guy sure thought it was

Options
1234568»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you listened to my points rather than reiterating the same points, you may gain more understanding :).
    Lets take it a step further and say the gym also has a bar rack (some I've been in have a vertical stand for the bars).
    I don't think anyone would suggest replacing the bar in said rack, even if this is actually what the staff do at the end of the night would be a good idea. Because I'm confident the people posting here are the sort that would be using said Olympic bar there, rather than curling with dumbbells or whatever.
    It shouldn't be a big stretch to see that keeping a couple of plates on the bar could benefit a good number of people in places where said good number of people would start there warmup with at least that weight.

In my experience, a large proportion of gym users don't care about replacing plates. One of the reasons they put the signs up. A smaller amount but still sizeable, the same for dumbbells.

every gym I've ever been to- people's number one complain is "why the *kitten* do people not put their weights away"

absolute hands down number one complaint I've EVER heard as a patron and as a gym employee.

and yes- if I take a bar from somewhere I take it back to where it belongs- exceptions being the 45 that's in the corner for rows- it doesn't officially belong there but it is there 9/10 and it's standard to leave it there.

So more questions for you:
    > if it's okay to leave squat weight on the bar- do you think it's okay to leave the dead lift bar out in front of the rack too?
    > You're assuming that everyone warms up with SOME weight- does that mean you assume everyone is coming to squat in the rack/power cage??
    > What if they are doing OHS? Or power cleans? or technical work only?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I actually don't really care when people don't take their weights off the barbell. If it already has 45s on it it makes my life easier. I do take them of when I'm done though because I feel bad for the people that can't lift them.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    If I were him I would tell you "I don't rerack for people weaker than me."
    I'm right in saying this guy is an *kitten*, right? Lol
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like he was embarrassed being caught out for not doing the right thing.

this
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't have to say 'please'.. he's supposed to do that
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    > if it's okay to leave squat weight on the bar- do you think it's okay to leave the dead lift bar out in front of the rack too?
    I don't think I've said it is, or is not ok to leave weight on the bar.
    However, IF we work on the basis it is, I would see leaving a deadlift bar with a big-plate as similar.
    > You're assuming that everyone warms up with SOME weight- does that mean you assume everyone is coming to squat in the rack/power cage??
    I'm not assuming 'everyone' does and have actually made that clear several times now.
    If there's limited 'rack space, it'd be nice if people did power cleans elsewhere to free the 'rack up for others to my mind.
    But yes, despite your assertions, I haven't claimed that leaving a plate on would suit everyone all the time.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    And, for the third time, it makes the equipment look like its in use
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    And, for the third time, it makes the equipment look like its in use

^ This is probably my biggest beef about it. I hate asking, "hey, are you using this? Anyone? Anyone?"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've said it is, or is not ok to leave weight on the bar.
    However, IF we work on the basis it is, I would see leaving a deadlift bar with a big-plate as similar.
    I'm not assuming 'everyone' does and have actually made that clear several times now.
    If there's limited 'rack space, it'd be nice if people did power cleans elsewhere to free the 'rack up for others to my mind.
    But yes, despite your assertions, I haven't claimed that leaving a plate on would suit everyone all the time.
    I didn't say you said that- I'm just asking if THAT situation is okay too- since leaving weight on the bar is okay- what makes leaving weight on the bar okay- and not the dead lift bar out and about- or with weight on it?

I'm merely asking because you have said several times " it's makes a good warm up weight for people" and you've come back to a few times. You seem to be the most vocal saying it's okay to leave them. So I'm addressing you.

which makes me think- if you are squatting 315- do you just leave all 6 plates on- or do you remove 4 and leave one and one on there? Because well that would fit the theory- but most people don't. They either walk off and leave the whole set or they take it all off.
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    dont sweat it. he just didnt like being called out.
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    What I think is rude is how he replied to your request. Seriously? It's common etiquette to put it back. The odds that the next person is going to use the exact weight he is? Dude is an *kitten*.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you like to tell people what to do. You got them to put a sign up. You got the guy to read your sign. You got him to take the weights down. Good for you.

But what's good for you doesn't always feel good for other people.
  • Deathlylooks
    Options
    He was in the wrong! I hate when ppl leave the weight on especially when its at a level that takes me like 5 mins to remove everything.
    So inconsiderate.
    Plus you did say thank you. Tbh he was probably just Pi$$ed off that someone actually pulled him up for a change.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    This is why I now work out in the early morning. Less people, less douches. Probably the second to last time I worked out in the afternoon, this dude put 4 45 lb weights on all four bars of the leg press. He did two reps, then left. SIXTEEN EFFING WEIGHTS ON THE LEG PRESS. Let alone the fact that he didn't bother to clean up after, and there was a sweat puddle on the seat and back! I had planned on leg pressing after doing one other machine, but then I was like, eff that. I feel sorry for the employees at the gym who have to constantly clean up after inconsiderate gym goers at the end of the day.

RE-RACK YOUR WEIGHTS.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I always squat first. But I've left circa-350lb from a dead lift a few times.
    I don't have any 25kg plates, so that's in a variety of different sized plates from 20kg to 5s and 2.5s.
    But, seeing that the majority of the time it's me using them next, it doesn't bother me.

It's common etiquette to put it back
    It's also 'common etiquette' to approach someone you don't know politely in a non-confrontation manner, even if they have done something you don't like.
    But it seems it's fine to be rude if you THINK the other person has already been rude to you or similar (they often may not have realised they have.)

I'm surprised that so many are surprised that someone who was approached in a bit rude and confrontational manner then seemed to act rudely back. Are people that unaware of general human behaviour?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I always squat first. But I've left circa-350lb from a dead lift a few times.
    I don't have any 25kg plates, so that's in a variety of different sized plates from 20kg to 5s and 2.5s.
    But, seeing that the majority of the time it's me using them next, it doesn't bother me.

It's common etiquette to put it back
    It's also 'common etiquette' to approach someone you don't know politely in a non-confrontation manner, even if they have done something you don't like.
    But it seems it's fine to be rude if you THINK the other person has already been rude to you or similar (they often may not have realised they have.)

I'm surprised that so many are surprised that someone who was approached in a bit rude and confrontational manner then seemed to act rudely back. Are people that unaware of general human behaviour?

"Are you done with that?"
    "Yes, why?"
    "Could you take the weights of it"
    "Why?"
    "Well there's a sign asking you too and it's not very nice for someone else to come too if that's not a weight they can't use"
    "What if the next person wants to use that weight"
    "Well I'm using it next and I can't squat that weight"

The fact that at numerous points the OP said thank you - doesn't sound very confrontational!

However you wrap it up - The guys was a D*CK.
  • jobegone
    jobegone Posts: 91
    Options
    Sounds like you like to tell people what to do. You got them to put a sign up. You got the guy to read your sign. You got him to take the weights down. Good for you.

But what's good for you doesn't always feel good for other people.

I don't like telling people what to do, I actually said in my original post, I don't speak up normally and that the words were out of my mouth before I knew it on this occasion, nor did I get the gym to put a sign up, I made a suggestion in the suggestion book, which is there for umm, suggestions. They didn't have to but they obviously saw it as reasonable and the guy could have told me to eff off and walk away but I guess he knew he should have done it in the first place.