Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    It does not work on humans.

JZwy8Id.gif

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22530711
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11134690
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18729243

The only studies that they have had success with are on rats.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21569551
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15680676
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15200237

However if you have been taking it - not to worry whilst it will not do anything for you it is safe to take.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15234082 - product safety

Sorry.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Every time I think of Garcinia, I think of Arsenio.

Which makes me think of this:

eddie-murphy-600x450.jpg

And then I start thinking about how Garcinia Cambogia sounds like someplace in Zamunda.

Crazy, yeah?

aFu_ArsenioYell.gif

Not as crazy as taking that stuff and thinking it will help you lose weight. Just sayin.

hahahaha.
    More_gifs.gif

tumblr_n0lmb9Q7bQ1s5e5bko1_400.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    I just got mine in the mail today. I'm going to try it tomorrow. If you really feel strongly about it you should try it.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Lifestyle changes
    Exercise.
    Diet + exercise = calorie deficit. That's how weight is lost.

No magic pill. NONE.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdgPBJXAbGusLw46bgXFahyC_WNe9p9rsoYMwzKcIfJKtdj21hFg
  • _HeartsOnFire_

More_gifs.gif

party-gif.gif
  • skullshank

More_gifs.gif

party-gif.gif

orig-17089591.jpg
  • jsantus
    jsantus Posts: 53 Member
    I actually fell for it. I took them for about two months I think. Did not do anything for me that I couldn't accomplish through watching my calories. I think I did better once I got rid of them because I wasn't relying on the pill to do anything.

No more magic pills for me!!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Warning: Do not post about "diet pills" on MFP boards. You will see how crazy people get.

Yeah, all these "crazy" people responding with advice to OP to save her money because the supplements are ineffective.

Oh, the insanity.

OP: ZOMG THESE ARE AWFUL DON'T BUY THEM YOU'RE WASTING YOUR MONEY AND THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING MEANINGFUL AND JUST DON'T DO IT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO DON'T DO IT!!1!eleven!!1

Didn't say the people were crazy ... said you will see how crazy people get. posting pictures of ducks shaking your head no isn't great feedback. As much as they are funny. Was just warning her before this thread ends up with 180 posts about how Dr Oz is crazy.

1. my duck gif is funny AND great feedback. you are wrong.
    2. OP should search first

so are you saying that your sage advice is far better because you were stu.....um, adventurous enough to buy into it?

I just feel like their are a lot of people on these boards that think everyone should be as educated as them. We were all beginners at one point. I would just rather give feedback that helps someone see the positives or negatives of what they are asking for. And yeah...I think me buying into it a few years back and realizing it was stupid is a lot better of an answer than .gifs. I'm not saying people can't post gifs. I wasn't even calling anyone out until my words got twisted. People go ape **** over certain posts and for whatever reason cannot remember the time they knew nothing about ______ insert topic here.

Sure she could google or search through the posts, but she has posted like 2 times...probably didnt even see the search option.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    & with that I say ... peace
  • _HeartsOnFire_

I just feel like their are a lot of people on these boards that think everyone should be as educated as them. We were all beginners at one point. I would just rather give feedback that helps someone see the positives or negatives of what they are asking for. And yeah...I think me buying into it a few years back and realizing it was stupid is a lot better of an answer than .gifs. I'm not saying people can't post gifs. I wasn't even calling anyone out until my words got twisted. People go ape **** over certain posts and for whatever reason cannot remember the time they knew nothing about ______ insert topic here.

Sure she could google or search through the posts, but she has posted like 2 times...probably didnt even see the search option.

That's why I recommended that she finds the search function. I didn't criticize her for NOT using it. These threads pop up every day, and yes, she might not know that, again why I recommended the search.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvZgy9kdt-BHmsSbTF0qd9cDOVsVUCnER04Pxbul_s8xT67ObZ
  • skullshank
    Warning: Do not post about "diet pills" on MFP boards. You will see how crazy people get.

Yeah, all these "crazy" people responding with advice to OP to save her money because the supplements are ineffective.

Oh, the insanity.

OP: ZOMG THESE ARE AWFUL DON'T BUY THEM YOU'RE WASTING YOUR MONEY AND THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING MEANINGFUL AND JUST DON'T DO IT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO DON'T DO IT!!1!eleven!!1

Didn't say the people were crazy ... said you will see how crazy people get. posting pictures of ducks shaking your head no isn't great feedback. As much as they are funny. Was just warning her before this thread ends up with 180 posts about how Dr Oz is crazy.

so are you saying that your sage advice is far better because you were stu.....um, adventurous enough to buy into it?

I just feel like their are a lot of people on these boards that think everyone should be as educated as them.

lemme stop you there. i dont know a damn thing about Garcialocafuentesbarbados and what it does to people.
    but common sense tells me 2 things.
    there is no fast-track to weightloss, and any short-term "help" will be met with a world of disappointment when whateer supplement is stopped.
    and anything promoted by that lunatic "dr" is an automatic DQ.

theres no need to cite research and science for a thread like this. save that for the "sugar is evil" threads.

this one just gets chalked up to the OP not taking a few seconds of her life to do some research and instead wants to rely on "peoples experiences". i see you posted yours, and while that is great and i applaud you for realizing the truth about the supplement i cant spell, anyone deciding to take something based on the posts of internet strangers should have the internet removed from their home for the safety of them and those around them.

edited for: words
    edited again because: MOAR WORDS
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Gifs are so edumacation doesn't get boring.

h8510848B
  • _HeartsOnFire_

Oh, the insanity.

I just feel like their are a lot of people on these boards that think everyone should be as educated as them.

lemme stop you there. i dont know a damn thing about Garcialocafuentesbarbados and what it does to people.
    but common sense tells me 2 things.
    there is no fast-track to weightloss, and any short-term "help" will be met with a world of disappointment when whateer supplement is stopped.
    and anything promoted by that lunatic "dr" is an automatic DQ.

theres no need to cite research and science for a thread like this. save that for the "sugar is evil" threads.

this one is just gets chalked up to the OP not taking a few seconds of her life to do some research and instead wants to rely on "peoples experiences". i see you posted yours, and while that is great and i applaud you for realizing the truth about the supplement i cant spell, anyone deciding to take something based on the posts of internet strangers should have the internet removed from their home for the safety of them and those around them.

edited for: words

tumblr_inline_mju4i2C6p31qz4rgp.jpg
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member
    I was almost going to buy a bottle actually... apparently Christina Aguilera uses it for quick weightloss.. interesting.

Just saw this... I can't tell if all the videos and news articles are fake or not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb_dYVxYsfI
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I was almost going to buy a bottle actually... apparently Christina Aguilera uses it for quick weightloss.. interesting.

Yeah, along with calorie deficit which is how she actually loses the weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_

tumblr_mgztqjkqsm1qh2o7zo1_r1_500.gif
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Another if those gimmicks that doctors either hate or won't tell you about, or that are the "holy grail" of weight loss, or that will let you lose 15 pounds in two weeks . . . or whatever. At least that's my opinion. :noway:
  • samacooper
    samacooper Posts: 28 Member
    Do people really think Dr. Oz just pulls ideas out of his *kitten*?

"The earliest research, conducted in the 1970s, into the antiobesity effects of HCA was conducted by Hoffmann-La Roche Pharmaceuticals. Studies have shown the ability of HCA to inhibit the actions of citrate cleavage enzyme, suppress fatty acid synthesis, increase hepatic glycogen synthesis, suppress food intake, increase energy expenditure, curb appetite, reduce plasmatic cholesterol levels, and inhibit fat synthesis from excess carbohydrate calories.2,3 The properties of Garcinia extract have been confirmed by clinical trials published in peer-reviewed literature." --Journal of the American Medical Association

Most of the scholarly articles' abstracts I read suggest that it is safe in normal doses, but in extreme levels it both reduces body fat and is toxic to...testicles? Yep. The article is called "High dose of Garcinia cambogia is effective in suppressing fat accumulation in developing male Zucker obese rats, but highly toxic to the testis"

If you're interested in a favorable summary, there's this one for an article called "An overview of the safety and efficacy of a novel, natural(-)-hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX) for weight management." from The Journal of Medicine. Here's a link: http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/18084863

So that's interesting. From the little lit review i just did, there is reason to think that garcinia cambogia has the potential to aid weight loss. Obviously more research needs to be done, it seems like the animal studies are showing results and the human studies are not, so either it works on rats physiologically but not people (pretty unlikely) or it perhaps has more to do with behavior, which is harder to study/control in people.

People are so damn dismissive of everything. There are so many plants, etc. out there we haven't studied well yet, and isn't super obvious that different plants have different compounds that affect animals that eat them in both helpful and harmful ways??? So why not be open to the possibility that a recently studied natural extract could possibly affect the body in such a way to aid weight loss, either by changing metabolism or digestion or by changing the brain chemistry to induce healthier behavior?
  • skullshank

Just saw this... I can't tell if all the videos and news articles are fake or not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb_dYVxYsfI

why does she keep needing "quick weightloss"?...interesting.
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member

Quick...and then she gains it back, and has to start all over...Why not skip the yo yo, do it the right way (lifestyle changes, exercise, calorie deficit, etc.) and not have to waste money and do it several times?

Oh I know! Thats what I've been doing for the past 2 months and has worked well, but I was just curious :)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Do they work? Not that I can tell, but they don't hurt either. I got some cheaply though Vitamin Shoppe, and I don't know if I will refill it or not. I did have some slightly more expensive ones from Stacker that had caffeine in them, and I do NEED my caffeine, but there are cheaper sources for that....

Seriously though, the SAME arguments can be made for most supplements and multivitamins. If you look at my diary for most days, you can see all the vitamins and such I take. (I didn't take any today though, I tend to skip days from time to time.)