GARCINIA CAMBOGIA EXTRACT

Replies

• maryanog
    maryanog Posts: 3
    Worked for me. To each his own. We are all trying to lose weight at the end of the day, and some of us have the courage to stick our heads out to ask for advice, which I think is commendable and should be encouraged. We all would love a little kindness and consideration shown towards us.

Good luck OP.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

You could either keep posting links to real information...Or become a GC distributor and make a boatload of cash from people who don't care whether it works or not. The choice is yours!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

You could either keep posting links to real information...Or become a GC distributor and make a boatload of cash from people who don't care whether it works or not. The choice is yours!

You are right, what was I thinking? $$$$$$kaching$$$$$$
  • likitisplit

You are right, what was I thinking? $$$$$$kaching$$$$$$

If you can't beat them...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Stick to this one very simple rule and you will go far in life:

If Dr. Oz said it, flipdesk and RUN.

That is all.
  • likitisplit
    Stick to this one very simple rule and you will go far in life:

If Dr. Oz said it, flipdesk and RUN.

That is all.

Or corner the market.
  • cattherien
    cattherien Posts: 341 Member
    Worked for me. To each his own. We are all trying to lose weight at the end of the day, and some of us have the courage to stick our heads out to ask for advice, which I think is commendable and should be encouraged. We all would love a little kindness and consideration shown towards us.

Good luck OP.

I thought that was well-said. Many people who are trying to change their bodies and body image are going through a vulnerable stage and a little positive encouragement goes a long way.

In the particular case of GC, Not all the research is in. There haven't been any large body, double-blind, independent studies done on the supplement. So the jury is still out, in spite of the conclusion of a few small studies.

It may end up one of those things where it helps some people and not others, even if the only help they get is a placebo effect. Even if all it does is waste their money but it makes them more mindful of drinking enough water, more mindful of what they eat, more mindful of getting enough exercise. If on the other side of taking it, they feel like they had a little success (without attributing that success solely to the supplement -- more power to them.

Some of the people here are concerned that those interested in taking the supplement would attribute any progress they make solely to the supplement and downplay any progress they make toward learning a healthy lifestyle. Obviously that's a perspective out of balance and neglecting the role diet and exercise make on losing weight. I can understand the frustration of those here who are doing their best to respectfully warn others away from what they truly believe is a waste of money. They have a commendable motivation.

At the end of the day, I'd encourage the OP to read everything available on the subject, both pro and con, before trying it themselves. To keep their expectations low and to do everything in their power to eat healthy foods, control portions, and exercise every day.
  • likitisplit

Good luck OP.

I thought that was well-said. Many people who are trying to change their bodies and body image are going through a vulnerable stage and a little positive encouragement goes a long way.

In the particular case of GC, Not all the research is in. There haven't been any large body, double-blind, independent studies done on the supplement. So the jury is still out, in spite of the conclusion of a few small studies.

It may end up one of those things where it helps some people and not others, even if the only help they get is a placebo effect. Even if all it does is waste their money but it makes them more mindful of drinking enough water, more mindful of what they eat, more mindful of getting enough exercise. If on the other side of taking it, they feel like they had a little success (without attributing that success solely to the supplement -- more power to them.

Some of the people here are concerned that those interested in taking the supplement would attribute any progress they make solely to the supplement and downplay any progress they make toward learning a healthy lifestyle. Obviously that's a perspective out of balance and neglecting the role diet and exercise make on losing weight. I can understand the frustration of those here who are doing their best to respectfully warn others away from what they truly believe is a waste of money. They have a commendable motivation.

At the end of the day, I'd encourage the OP to read everything available on the subject, both pro and con, before trying it themselves. To keep their expectations low and to do everything in their power to eat healthy foods, control portions, and exercise every day.

Yes! And read the examine.com review two or three times.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Probably be cheaper if you managed to convince yourself that generic ibuprofen had appetite suppressive ability and took those instead.

Alternatively you can eat food. I hear food has appetite suppressive properties. I try to take food at least three times a day and it seems to work for me.
  • cattherien
    Yes! And read the examine.com review two or three times.

Please note from the examine.com review that no A-Level studies have been done on GC.
  • Aaron_K123
    What is wrong with just eating healthier with substantially more protein in your diet. You want an appetite suppressant? Eat lean protein.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    I only believe in vanilla extract in my french toast.
  • cattherien
    What is wrong with just eating healthier with substantially more protein in your diet. You want an appetite suppressant? Eat lean protein.

Amen to lean protein! Great appetite suppressant.

What's wrong with adding supplements to the dietary intake? As long as they are taken in balance and with plenty of knowledge of the available research? We all believe getting the recommended daily allowances of vitamins and minerals is best done through food choices. However, reality is what it is, and on a calorie-restricted diet, sometimes it's difficult to get all the RDA intake necessary. Most physicians recommend taking vitamin and mineral supplements. The body of scientific evidence in favor of taking vitamin and mineral supplements is huge, in spite of the debates and dissenting studies.

Edit: That being said, I am in no way equating GC with vitamin and mineral supplements in the framework of necessary to optimal bodily function. I am not saying that GC is needed. I just wanted to clarify that.
  • likitisplit

Amen to lean protein! Great appetite suppressant.

What's wrong with adding supplements to the dietary intake? As long as they are taken in balance and with plenty of knowledge of the available research? We all believe getting the recommended daily allowances of vitamins and minerals is best done through food choices. However, reality is what it is, and on a calorie-restricted diet, sometimes it's difficult to get all the RDA intake necessary. Most physicians recommend taking vitamin and mineral supplements. The body of scientific evidence in favor of taking vitamin and mineral supplements is huge, in spite of the debates and dissenting studies.

What does the body of research say about GC?

Also, meeting your micronutrient minimums isn't that difficult if you are losing slowly and steadily.
  • Aaron_K123
    What's wrong with adding supplements to the dietary intake? .

Only supplement I could say is potentially worth taking is a micronutrient supplement like vitamins if you are at a known deficiency. Supplementation is a crutch and one that should only be leaned upon if you are somehow medically unable to supply yourself with the appropriate nutrients. Relying on an artificial means of modifying your metabolism (assuming it even has that affect which hasn't actually been demonstrated reliably) is a very very poor substitute to proper eating and exercise. If you are morbidly obese and at risk of stroking out at any moment perhaps there is a place for such things but if you want to lose a few pounds for aesthetics reasons or just to be a bit healthier then you should be looking at improving your diet not jumping to supplementation.

What is "wrong" with supplementation is the exact same thing that is wrong with any time your mind starts looking for a quick fix to a problem rather than addressing it headlong and making the appropriate lifestyle changes that can maintain that desired effect long term. Its lazy, its ineffective and its potentially detrimental.

We KNOW for a fact that good diet and exercise can make you healthy. Most people on this forum have access to nutritious food and have the ability to do exercise. Everything else is excuses and excuses are detrimental.
  • cattherien

Also, meeting your micronutrient minimums isn't that difficult if you are losing slowly and steadily.

The body of research about GC is incomplete, so forming an opinion on small-scale, mostly C-level research is premature. Once some A-level studies are completed, a more reliable conclusion can be drawn. Too many of the studies cited were very small scale, especially for human trials.

Meeting micronutrient minimums is a learning process for most people, especially those who aren't well educated on how to eat healthy in the first place. If someone has an annual physical that shows they are low in vitamin D, for example, the doctor will likely try to educate them on foods high in D, and also to take a supplement. Supplementation is not the goal-- it is a means to an end while someone is learning how to make better food choices.

We all have to start somewhere.
  • Aaron_K123

The body of research about GC is incomplete, so forming an opinion on small-scale, mostly C-level research is premature. Once some A-level studies are completed, a more reliable conclusion can be drawn. Too many of the studies cited were very small scale, especially for human trials.

Meeting micronutrient minimums is a learning process for most people, especially those who aren't well educated on how to eat healthy in the first place. If someone has an annual physical that shows they are low in vitamin D, for example, the doctor will likely try to educate them on foods high in D, and also to take a supplement. Supplementation is not the goal-- it is a means to an end while someone is learning how to make better food choices.

We all have to start somewhere.

I'm a scientist and I admittedly have no idea what you mean by "A-level" research and "C-level" research. There aren't levels there is only data and the analysis of that data. If data has been inconclusive then that would suggest that there is no clear significant effect. Why would you look at inconclusive data and assume a positive result?
  • Aaron_K123
    If someone has an annual physical that shows they are low in vitamin D, for example, the doctor will likely try to educate them on foods high in D, and also to take a supplement.

There is a huge difference between going to the doctor and determining that you are deficient in an essential vitamin (by direct measure) and being given a supplement to aid in recovery and the decision to take what one assumes to be an effective appetite suppressor.

Frankly even if GC was a 100% proven guaranteed appetite suppressor "appetite" is not some malady that needs to be fixed.
  • cattherien
    I'm a scientist and I admittedly have no idea what you mean by "A-level" research and "C-level" research.

If you take a look at the Examine.com article on GC, you will find a section headed "Human Effect Matrix". The level of evidence in the research will tell you what i'm talking about. A-level research is large scale, double-blind, independent research and will have the most comprehensive results for interpretation. Even a majority of B-level research would have been preferable to draw conclusions from. But as it currently stands, the main body of research on GC has been limited to C-level and therefore the conclusion scientifically is that the jury is still out.
    If data has been inconclusive then one should assume that it has no effect.

I would agree with that if there were a large body of A-level and B-level research and the majority conclusion of those large scale studies was that it had little to no effect.