i dont like lifting :( no results

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I do powerlifting competitions at a powerlifting gym.

They guarantee that if you train with them, that you'll be deadlifting 100kg /220lbs within 3 months of starting there.

It took me about 9mths, but I came in fresh off a knee operation.

You CAN lift more. You just think you can't.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

This is so true! I've been doing Stronglifts regularly since early January (sporadically did weights before that). I was afraid to go heavier than I was because I wasn't sure my form was good so my husband bought me a couple of PT sessions for Valentine's Day (at my request). Today I had the first one and found that not only is my form pretty good (made some minor tweaks) but that I can indeed lift much heavier than I expected!

Once she was comfortable with my form, the trainer pushed me to see what I could do and I am grateful because I left really excited and pumped! We only did deadlifts and squats today but we'll do the rest in our next session.

My highest DL before today was 150 and it's been awhile since I did that. My most recent high deadlift weight was 120.

Today I did 205 pounds

My heaviest squat ever was 108.

Today I did 150 and we didn't even make it to my one rep max for that one. She estimated it was probably close to 180.

I can understand not liking certain exercises, there are some that make me want to jump off a building from the mind numbing boringness of it but I think the key to not getting bored with anything is having goals that you're working toward. If I'm not challenging myself then what's the point? BTW, I'm a 42 year old mom with fibromyalgia and lifting has helped me feel better like nothing else has. I hope you don't give up on it before giving it another try, perhaps with a trainer.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This is so true! I've been doing Stronglifts regularly since early January (sporadically did weights before that). I was afraid to go heavier than I was because I wasn't sure my form was good so my husband bought me a couple of PT sessions for Valentine's Day (at my request). Today I had the first one and found that not only is my form pretty good (made some minor tweaks) but that I can indeed lift much heavier than I expected!

Once she was comfortable with my form, the trainer pushed me to see what I could do and I am grateful because I left really excited and pumped! We only did deadlifts and squats today but we'll do the rest in our next session.

My highest DL before today was 150 and it's been awhile since I did that. My most recent high deadlift weight was 120.

Today I did 205 pounds

Today I did 150 and we didn't even make it to my one rep max for that one. She estimated it was probably close to 180.

I can understand not liking certain exercises, there are some that make me want to jump off a building from the mind numbing boringness of it but I think the key to not getting bored with anything is having goals that you're working toward. If I'm not challenging myself then what's the point? BTW, I'm a 42 year old mom with fibromyalgia and lifting has helped me feel better like nothing else has. I hope you don't give up on it before giving it another try, perhaps with a trainer.

That's awesome! Way to go!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Today I did 205 pounds

That's fantastic!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Today I did 205 pounds

Yes!

princess_luna_we__re_not_worthy_by_grumbeerkopp-d4q9z6k.png
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Today I did 205 pounds

The guy at the PL gym always says that women who are just starting out can usually lift 3 x more than they think they can. Men can lift half of what they think they can.
  • BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you're not seeing results after 3 1/2 months, you must be lifting incorrectly. I've been following Cathe Friedrich's XTrain program and I've noticed a slight improvement after only two weeks. I'd suggest investing in a lifting DVD program and following it exactly. The one thing I love about XTrain is the Burn Sets. I didn't think I could lift as much as I can, but Cathe showed me the way. Lol.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    "In order to progress in anything, you have to be willing to get uncomfortable"
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    For those who say she hasn't been following the program by adding weight -- is there a point where you are unable to add weight (form breaks down, unable to complete reps/sets). Or are you referring to her routine?

If you get to a point where form is suffering/you can't finish reps you (After a set number of failures) deload and work back up.

This does not happen at 50 pounds on a squat though. That's basically the bar.

Her numbers make me question if she is including the weight of the bar...squatting 50lbs seems really low for someone that has been doing it for 3.5 months. I haven't been doing it near as long as her, started with unweighted squats and I'm doing 85lbs now, and my bench is at 105....

If the weight of the bar is included I don't think she is approaching the program right..
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Today I did 205 pounds

Awesome job, and I agree. I was having a lot of problems with my squats, and I would back down and "work on form" whenever it got heavy. But, I didn't ever really change much on form because my form wasn't really that bad. Plus, I'd gone down to two workouts a week. That definitely didn't help mentally with the program. At the beginning of the year, I came off my deload, went back to 3 workouts a week, and I've gone from about 90lb squat to 165lbs. Turns out, squats get heavy. You just push through it.

So much of lifting is mental, and I really do have to walk into the gym thinking I'm about to make the bar my *****. There will be a point where I actually do fail, but that's what safety bars are for, and work arounds like chalk to improve grip on deads. And the program has failures built into it and how to deal with them, but you can't be afraid to fail. You have to push yourself until you reach that point.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Something's missing here. I feel like the meat's for the cat.

OP, what's your medical history, eating history, etc. etc.? With no pictures, no stats (other than CURRENT lifts...would like to know what you started out with), I feel like there's a key piece of information missing in all of this.

I did Stronglifts 5x5; I progressed very slowly. It took me MAYBE the same amount of time as you to get OHP to even be the bar. Key? I have a history of anorexia, very little LBM compared to most people as a result, and I STILL wasn't eating enough while I was lifting.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what's going on here.

ETA:
    i am 4'11 and weigh 117 which i know i can go lower due to my height. i am now my goal and still hate the way i look. i should have started strength training from the beginning but i didnt know of its benefits until recently. is it too late for me to become leaner? i have a belly pooch that i loathe!!

From 2/26. HAVE you been doing Stronglifts for three and a half months...?
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    squat- 50 lbs 5x5

deadflift-100 lbs 5x5

row- 20 lbs 5x5

press- 40 5x5

and please do not say go heavier because this is still heavy for me

You've been doing stronglifts for 3.5 months and you are still at the recommended starting weight for the beginning of the program? Where did you start from originally in your lifts? Light weights for low reps won't cause the change you want in your body unless your LBM was EXTREMELY low to begin with. The awesome thing about 5x5 is the ability to increase your lifts each workout. And if you are eating enough calories, since you stated you only have a slight deficit, ou should definitely be increasing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    One thing I'd like to add - I did New Rules for Women for awhile and squatting a similarly pathetic amount of weight three months in. But I was progressing.

The thing is, when you start out with a pitiful amount of muscle, it can take you a year or more to squat body weight. And nobody ever tells you that.

So, if the OP is PROGRESSING and working to FAILURE - everything could be ok, just taking longer. If there's no progression...totally different story.

I dont' think the issue is the numbers- everyone is willing to admit they look low- but due to the lack of history there could be a reasonble issue at hand.
    things we know/acknowledge:
    > Heavy is relative-
    > Average female after 3 months should be further along
    > we do not have her history
    > we have a statement that says pretty much "please don't ask me to get heavier- because this is heavy"

so it seems there isn't a progression or a clear understanding of what's going on for her- I suspect she isn't truly following the program and is not willing to get uncomfortable- women are very pron to not pushing to failure- they tend to quit way sooner than they should.

If she truly hates lifting- she shouldn't do it.

I she only hates it because she's not progressing- she needs to fix the diet- and or fix the programing.

IF she prefers body weight- you can do progressive loading via body weight- it just takes a lot of work- I'd say it almost takes MORE work and dedication than BB training.

But I'm not sure said OP is willing to put in that kind of work. Which is fine- not everyone wants to train that hard- some poeple are okay just getting a quick workout in and calling it a day.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You aren't been true to yourself and trying hard enough, you need to put more weight on the bar, simple as. Please don't say it's heavy for you because my 11 year old daughter (and I'm not exaggerating) could move that weight. Hope you take this advice the right way, lifting can be a very empowering thing but you MUST lift with HEART!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting too, it's not fun for me. I still strength train because I know it's important, I just do yoga or pilates instead,

is pilates considered strength training?

I also HATE lifting...it's so boring to me to do the same repetitive motion over and over again. I prefer body weight exercises like pilates also. I started p90x3 about a month ago and like that wayyy better. It can also be argued that exercises like that are better for you because the movements target a variety of muscles versus just one with traditional weight

^^^Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one on this entire website that hates lifting! (I cannot remember ONE post where someone actually wrote that they hate to lift!) I lift because I like the results but I would rather do cardio until my eyes bleed than do even one rep!

As for Pilates, it's supposed to build flexibility and strength in the major muscle groups (legs, abs, arms, hips and back).
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    You aren't been true to yourself and trying hard enough, you need to put more weight on the bar, simple as. Please don't say it's heavy for you because my 11 year old daughter (and I'm not exaggerating) could move that weight. Hope you take this advice the right way, lifting can be a very empowering thing but you MUST lift with HEART!

There's no way you can say this. You have no idea what the OP's abilities and impediments may be. Your advice, should she take it, may lead to an injury.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I also HATE lifting...it's so boring to me to do the same repetitive motion over and over again. I prefer body weight exercises like pilates also. I started p90x3 about a month ago and like that wayyy better. It can also be argued that exercises like that are better for you because the movements target a variety of muscles versus just one with traditional weight

^^^Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one on this entire website that hates lifting! (I cannot remember ONE post where someone actually wrote that they hate to lift!) I lift because I like the results but I would rather do cardio until my eyes bleed than do even one rep!

As for Pilates, it's supposed to build flexibility and strength in the major muscle groups (legs, abs, arms, hips and back).
    [/quote]

my friend prefers cardio/running

but she also still lifts- I think if she truly got on a lifting program with real progression- I think she would change her mind- but she works in her basement with videos and a home gym machine. it's just not the same.

But- some people really just don't like that feeling they get from lifting. It's okay- I think what you experience and what this woman experience are not the same to be honest though.
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I found the same. I had to combine strength training with cardio.
    I put down the weights.
    I went to Jillian Michaels DVD's, kickboxing and Curves with the Classes. (our gym as Resolution, Killer core, Armed and ready, Zumba, Jillian Michaels and a resolution class at lunch at curves)[ I tried curves before they had these classes and DID NOT LIKE IT. Now I love it]
    I found that I have more definition, I lost way more weight and I didn't need anything special. The Jillian Michaels DVD are using your own body weight with no weights to help your shred your body and carve your muscles.
    You will find something that YOU love to do and then you will be motivated to keep at it.
    I tried CrossFit, but didn't find that it was for me.
    I tried Kickboxing and am totally addicted! Just remember that strength doesn't have to come from lifting weights - you can get fantastic results with just your own body weight. Find some thing YOU like to do and give it all you got!
  • tessiebear40
    tessiebear40 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, find something that you enjoy doing! Weight lifting was never my forte, I always felt lost.

HIIT workouts work best for me. Just enough strength training and cardio to keep my mind busy. Bodyweight exercises are just as effective and it takes less time!

I agree. I do Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones with 3kg weights and enjoy it!