Paleo vs. Clean eating?

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Also, I'd like to know a) why it's "healthy" compared to other choices and b) how cows (or any animals) can function without hormones? :P

If you are referring to our lifestyle, our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of food dyes to the point that some are not even allowed Europe forcing the American food manufacturer to remove them if they want to sell that product there. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract. Food preservatives can cause a huge problem and there is pressure on companies for their removal. There is all kinds of information on the harmful side effects of BPA found in the lining of commercially canned foods. Then there is pink slime, meat glue and a whole range of questionable food additives that are only removed from our foods after the damage has been done. Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that. Whether these harmful chemicals have a short half-life or not, they are still in your body and have the potential to do harm as they pass through your body. If your food is making you sick, or has the potential to cause physical harm at some level, then it isn't really healthy, is it? If you avoid exposure to these harmful chemicals by choosing foods free of them, then by default the food itself is a healthier choice.

Hormone free with respect to animals refers to the addition of growth hormone to force the animal to maturity faster. It's a cost savings measure to boost profits. There is a lot of scientific research on how growth hormones and antibiotics in meats and milk are affecting especially children. All you have to do is go directly to the peer reviewed scientific journals to find this information.

There is a lot of misinformation in this post. Sure some food additives are carcinogens, but some 'naturally occurring' food components are also carcinogens. As an example, grilled meat, juice from heated meat, and stewed meat heated for a long time all contain heterocyclic amines which are carcinogens. Read up about the beta carotene lung cancer clinical trial and you will see that vitamins in large doses may also be carcinogens. It's much too simplistic to say "our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another" because YOUR food choices likely contain carcinogens and genotoxins too.

Re your comment, "There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract.", can you please provide a link to these the studies. . I am not aware of any credible studies that show this.

Re your comment, "Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that", can you please provide a link to these studies.

I agree that growth hormones and antibiotics in meat and milk aren't good, but that has nothing to do with Paleo food choices.

The thing that gets to me about advocates of restrictive diets such as Paleo is when they jump on their soapbox and talk about the superiority of their choices and that it's backed by science etc and those of us who don't follow the [latest fad] diet are ignorant/unhealthy/uneducated/making poor choices/more prone to cancer...the list goes on. When they are asked to demonstrate the science by referring to credible sources, they can't.

Can you?

You quoted me and no there is not a lot of misinformation there. First, I am not advocating a restrictive diet but rather sharing how we have eaten for well over 30 years. Second, I am not advocating Paleo at all so you are mistaken. I'm on the clean eating fence. Sorry to burst your bubble. And yes, there is a lot of credible scientific research to back my position of which I could provide substantial information for you to wade through. However, I do feel you would gain a better insight by researching yourself as I already have the information that supports our lifestyle choice. Aside of keeping up with current research, I really have no need to prove this is working for us. Spend a bit of time using Science Citations or Pub Med.

Add another proponent to the list who can't back their claims with evidence. *sigh*

The classy thing to of done would have been to have let this thread die at 500. Lol????

then why did you come back? Ohhh you said classy ..I get it now….
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Also, I'd like to know a) why it's "healthy" compared to other choices and b) how cows (or any animals) can function without hormones? :P

If you are referring to our lifestyle, our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of food dyes to the point that some are not even allowed Europe forcing the American food manufacturer to remove them if they want to sell that product there. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract. Food preservatives can cause a huge problem and there is pressure on companies for their removal. There is all kinds of information on the harmful side effects of BPA found in the lining of commercially canned foods. Then there is pink slime, meat glue and a whole range of questionable food additives that are only removed from our foods after the damage has been done. Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that. Whether these harmful chemicals have a short half-life or not, they are still in your body and have the potential to do harm as they pass through your body. If your food is making you sick, or has the potential to cause physical harm at some level, then it isn't really healthy, is it? If you avoid exposure to these harmful chemicals by choosing foods free of them, then by default the food itself is a healthier choice.

Hormone free with respect to animals refers to the addition of growth hormone to force the animal to maturity faster. It's a cost savings measure to boost profits. There is a lot of scientific research on how growth hormones and antibiotics in meats and milk are affecting especially children. All you have to do is go directly to the peer reviewed scientific journals to find this information.

There is a lot of misinformation in this post. Sure some food additives are carcinogens, but some 'naturally occurring' food components are also carcinogens. As an example, grilled meat, juice from heated meat, and stewed meat heated for a long time all contain heterocyclic amines which are carcinogens. Read up about the beta carotene lung cancer clinical trial and you will see that vitamins in large doses may also be carcinogens. It's much too simplistic to say "our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another" because YOUR food choices likely contain carcinogens and genotoxins too.

Re your comment, "There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract.", can you please provide a link to these the studies. . I am not aware of any credible studies that show this.

Re your comment, "Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that", can you please provide a link to these studies.

I agree that growth hormones and antibiotics in meat and milk aren't good, but that has nothing to do with Paleo food choices.

The thing that gets to me about advocates of restrictive diets such as Paleo is when they jump on their soapbox and talk about the superiority of their choices and that it's backed by science etc and those of us who don't follow the [latest fad] diet are ignorant/unhealthy/uneducated/making poor choices/more prone to cancer...the list goes on. When they are asked to demonstrate the science by referring to credible sources, they can't.

Can you?

You quoted me and no there is not a lot of misinformation there. First, I am not advocating a restrictive diet but rather sharing how we have eaten for well over 30 years. Second, I am not advocating Paleo at all so you are mistaken. I'm on the clean eating fence. Sorry to burst your bubble. And yes, there is a lot of credible scientific research to back my position of which I could provide substantial information for you to wade through. However, I do feel you would gain a better insight by researching yourself as I already have the information that supports our lifestyle choice. Aside of keeping up with current research, I really have no need to prove this is working for us. Spend a bit of time using Science Citations or Pub Med.

Add another proponent to the list who can't back their claims with evidence. *sigh*

The classy thing to of done would have been to have let this thread die at 500. Lol????

Sorry, I was working all day, so I didn't get to sit and watch the entire thread as it developed. I had no idea my post would roll it.

I'll just leave this here for those interested.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=legume+human+toxicity
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I'll just leave this here for those interested.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=legume+human+toxicity

ezo66v.jpg