Paleo vs. Clean eating?

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else but I tend to follow my LCHF quite strictly. I think where the confusion has come in is that some people mistake the food diaries of people following primal for people that follow strict paleo (big difference).

Some confusion maybe. Some from some of the people using Paleo/Primal interchangeably. But I don't think the challenges would change if we switched to looking at primal versus paleo.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Though I've reached saturation on this discussion for now. :flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, non processed foods and excersise and you won't need to - simple.
    YOU won't need to, maybe.

To start with, I can easily over-eat with the food you discuss, even if we take a 'strict' defintion on non processed - just from fruit I can easily eat a lot of calories.
    Also, I'd like to make sure I get optimum nutrition to meet my goals - even I'm going to make an effort picking bits of metal up and putting them down again, or moving my body under it's own steam, I'd like to get maximum benefit from that and that means knowing what I'm putting in.
    HOWEVER, for me I soon get an idea of the macro values in foods (and in some cases an idea of micronutrients to) and thus don't have to actually log all the time to know what's going on.
  • SaebraSpirit
    SaebraSpirit Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So I've been reading up on Paleo.. it looks pretty interesting? Do any of you do Paleo? or Eat Clean.. Im having a little bit trouble finding the true definition of Eating Clean.. Correct me if I'm wrong.. does it mean no processed food... as in nothing coming from a box? or is it something else?

I'm hesitant to jump on the band wagon since i have a lot of stuff in my pantry but I'm really fascinated by it. Can anyone of you give me some insight or share your experience how you started or transitioned in to Paleo or Eating Clean

Thank you
    Happy

Personally it has been the best kind of lifestyle change I made with regards to eating, I've tried many like Atkins, Vegetarian or vegan. However this one fit me best because I hardly had to worry about monitoring.
    Of course every week I may have had like a piece of bread or my fav, chocolate almonds as a treat but for the majority of the time I ate Paleo :)
    Some people take it way too seriously like I still allow dairy products just not processed or grains really (except for my dads bday cake! haha), everything in moderation :)

A heatlhy diet is as much physical as it is mental, you can't obsess too much
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Paleo is stupid, uneccessary, potentially unhealthy and as an idea it is utterly fallicious.
    Clean eating is on the same boat, but the level of negatives is dependant on how obsessive you are about what specific foods you're eating or not.

I don't understand why people can't accept that fact that the healthiest way to diet is to track your calories, track your macros, hit your goals, get in sufficient micronutrients and phytonutrients and be sane. Processed foods and whole foods.
    Chemicals in foods =/= always bad for you
    Natural =/= always good for you
    Processed =/= always bad for you

I've never once seed a justified response to someone avoiding "processed foods", as if all processed foods are processed in one way, at one level.

Ummmm, you think writing down every single morsel of food/drink and adding up every single calorie, carb or protein you eat for the rest of your life is healthy or sane?!? Seriously WTF?

Umm...
    Not everyone is planning to log everything forever. But thanks for playing!

Yeah, I've got the thread saturation thing, too.
  • mrsfrosty61
    mrsfrosty61 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love Paleo. Started with Whole 30 last June. My first time ever trying Paleo. Amazed at how great I feel when I eat that way....allergies disappeared, had great energy, no food cravings. I have not been consistent though...been on and off. Good luck to you (:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Also, I'd like to know a) why it's "healthy" compared to other choices and b) how cows (or any animals) can function without hormones? :P

If you are referring to our lifestyle, our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of food dyes to the point that some are not even allowed Europe forcing the American food manufacturer to remove them if they want to sell that product there. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract. Food preservatives can cause a huge problem and there is pressure on companies for their removal. There is all kinds of information on the harmful side effects of BPA found in the lining of commercially canned foods. Then there is pink slime, meat glue and a whole range of questionable food additives that are only removed from our foods after the damage has been done. Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that. Whether these harmful chemicals have a short half-life or not, they are still in your body and have the potential to do harm as they pass through your body. If your food is making you sick, or has the potential to cause physical harm at some level, then it isn't really healthy, is it? If you avoid exposure to these harmful chemicals by choosing foods free of them, then by default the food itself is a healthier choice.

Hormone free with respect to animals refers to the addition of growth hormone to force the animal to maturity faster. It's a cost savings measure to boost profits. There is a lot of scientific research on how growth hormones and antibiotics in meats and milk are affecting especially children. All you have to do is go directly to the peer reviewed scientific journals to find this information.

That's great!
    Might have ended up a whole lot differently had you been a single parent working a job or two and trying to go to school to provide for yourself and your children, huh?

There's a lot of 'might have happens' in life. As it is I did go to school while raising kids and likely a heck of a lot more under some very adverse situations, some of which I doubt many would want to go through. So sure...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Paleo is stupid, uneccessary, potentially unhealthy and as an idea it is utterly fallicious.
    Clean eating is on the same boat, but the level of negatives is dependant on how obsessive you are about what specific foods you're eating or not.

I don't understand why people can't accept that fact that the healthiest way to diet is to track your calories, track your macros, hit your goals, get in sufficient micronutrients and phytonutrients and be sane. Processed foods and whole foods.

I've never once seed a justified response to someone avoiding "processed foods", as if all processed foods are processed in one way, at one level.

Ummmm, you think writing down every single morsel of food/drink and adding up every single calorie, carb or protein you eat for the rest of your life is healthy or sane?!? Seriously WTF?

tried it... it doesn't work for me. I naturally eat at maintenance, whether my diet includes processed foods or not and whether I eat exercise or not. To successfully cut, I have to count calories, whether I eat processed foods or not, and regardless of what exercise I do.

Also, it takes less than a minute to log a meal with MFP. I don't think that's excessive, obsessive or time consuming. And it's not for the rest of my life, just for cut cycles. And the rest of the time for maintenance, I don't need to avoid any of the "paleo hit list" foods to maintain my weight without tracking.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

tried it... it doesn't work for me. I naturally eat at maintenance, whether my diet includes processed foods or not and whether I eat exercise or not. To successfully cut, I have to count calories, whether I eat processed foods or not, and regardless of what exercise I do.

Also, it takes less than a minute to log a meal with MFP. I don't think that's excessive, obsessive or time consuming. And it's not for the rest of my life, just for cut cycles. And the rest of the time for maintenance, I don't need to avoid any of the "paleo hit list" foods to maintain my weight without tracking.

Fair call, diffrent strokes for diffrent folks and all. I probably couldn't go full paleo myself but do like to eat clean as much as I can and it lets me be a bit lazy with calorie counting, because I am pretty slack at it and don't want to have to do it for the rest of my life.

I also think that for many people, they might not even realise that they are intolerant to certain foods, or not as healthy as they could/should be until they try a clean or paleo type diet. The absence of illness doesn't necessarily mean a person is healthy especially if there are no real symptoms. I for one have never felt as good while eating wheat or grain products as I do when I eliminate them out of my diet, but I am by no means "intolerant" to them, nor do I get sick from them. I just don't feel as physically healthy when I eat grains.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Also, I'd like to know a) why it's "healthy" compared to other choices and b) how cows (or any animals) can function without hormones? :P

If you are referring to our lifestyle, our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of food dyes to the point that some are not even allowed Europe forcing the American food manufacturer to remove them if they want to sell that product there. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract. Food preservatives can cause a huge problem and there is pressure on companies for their removal. There is all kinds of information on the harmful side effects of BPA found in the lining of commercially canned foods. Then there is pink slime, meat glue and a whole range of questionable food additives that are only removed from our foods after the damage has been done. Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that. Whether these harmful chemicals have a short half-life or not, they are still in your body and have the potential to do harm as they pass through your body. If your food is making you sick, or has the potential to cause physical harm at some level, then it isn't really healthy, is it? If you avoid exposure to these harmful chemicals by choosing foods free of them, then by default the food itself is a healthier choice.

Hormone free with respect to animals refers to the addition of growth hormone to force the animal to maturity faster. It's a cost savings measure to boost profits. There is a lot of scientific research on how growth hormones and antibiotics in meats and milk are affecting especially children. All you have to do is go directly to the peer reviewed scientific journals to find this information.

There is a lot of misinformation in this post. Sure some food additives are carcinogens, but some 'naturally occurring' food components are also carcinogens. As an example, grilled meat, juice from heated meat, and stewed meat heated for a long time all contain heterocyclic amines which are carcinogens. Read up about the beta carotene lung cancer clinical trial and you will see that vitamins in large doses may also be carcinogens. It's much too simplistic to say "our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another" because YOUR food choices likely contain carcinogens and genotoxins too.

Re your comment, "There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract.", can you please provide a link to these the studies. . I am not aware of any credible studies that show this.

Re your comment, "Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that", can you please provide a link to these studies.

I agree that growth hormones and antibiotics in meat and milk aren't good, but that has nothing to do with Paleo food choices.

The thing that gets to me about advocates of restrictive diets such as Paleo is when they jump on their soapbox and talk about the superiority of their choices and that it's backed by science etc and those of us who don't follow the [latest fad] diet are ignorant/unhealthy/uneducated/making poor choices/more prone to cancer...the list goes on. When they are asked to demonstrate the science by referring to credible sources, they can't.

Can you?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

There is a lot of misinformation in this post. Sure some food additives are carcinogens, but some 'naturally occurring' food components are also carcinogens. As an example, grilled meat, juice from heated meat, and stewed meat heated for a long time all contain heterocyclic amines which are carcinogens. Read up about the beta carotene lung cancer clinical trial and you will see that vitamins in large doses may also be carcinogens. It's much too simplistic to say "our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another" because YOUR food choices likely contain carcinogens and genotoxins too.

Re your comment, "There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract.", can you please provide a link to these the studies. . I am not aware of any credible studies that show this.

Re your comment, "Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that", can you please provide a link to these studies.

I agree that growth hormones and antibiotics in meat and milk aren't good, but that has nothing to do with Paleo food choices.

The thing that gets to me about advocates of restrictive diets such as Paleo is when they jump on their soapbox and talk about the superiority of their choices and that it's backed by science etc and those of us who don't follow the [latest fad] diet are ignorant/unhealthy/uneducated/making poor choices/more prone to cancer...the list goes on. When they are asked to demonstrate the science by referring to credible sources, they can't.

Can you?

You quoted me and no there is not a lot of misinformation there. First, I am not advocating a restrictive diet but rather sharing how we have eaten for well over 30 years. Second, I am not advocating Paleo at all so you are mistaken. I'm on the clean eating fence. Sorry to burst your bubble. And yes, there is a lot of credible scientific research to back my position of which I could provide substantial information for you to wade through. However, I do feel you would gain a better insight by researching yourself as I already have the information that supports our lifestyle choice. Aside of keeping up with current research, I really have no need to prove this is working for us. Spend a bit of time using Science Citations or Pub Med.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

I think you are reading a different thread if you are the one feeling sensitive about your diet choice and feel that people on this thread are attacking you.

Most diets when eating in a calorie deficit and if the dieter is a healthy individual then, I would suggest that most of those diets would be health to that person.

Paleo, primal, clean eating, LCHF, etc...... are just other types of healthy diets and sometimes are better suited to people who have underlining issues with their current style of eating.

I'm not sure who you are referring to as someone who feels 'superiority of their choices'. Maybe you are mistaking superiority with someone who is pleased about the personal choice they have made - and for them this perceived restriction does not exist.

Just because someone is defending a choice they have made and maybe disagreeing with you doesn't necessarily mean they are trying to imply that their diet is 'the one and only' (unless of course they are Chesney).

Yes they maybe happy with the results they have had and out of some realisation that what has worked for them may work for others - so may make a recommendation that others if they are so inclined may wish to try it for themselves - but surely that as all fellow dieters would only be the polite thing to do!

Maybe the way forward would be for everyone to accept that there is not a 'one size fits all' diet.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thankyou Charlotte and Neandermagnon, I always find you two to be the voice of reason and good sense.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You quoted me and no there is not a lot of misinformation there. Second, I am not advocating Paleo at all so you are mistaken. I'm on the clean eating fence. Sorry. And yes, there is a lot of credible scientific research to back my position. Spend a bit of time using Science Citations or Pub Med.
    Could you address the point she (and I) have asked, then.

I have spent a good LOT of time on pub med and so on and have not come across stuff supporting your position.
    Perhaps you could link us to the ones you have read which do support what you are saying, we could be better informed.

"Clean eating" is also a restrictive diet that chops out a good number of food choices.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Can you?

You quoted me and no there is not a lot of misinformation there. First, I am not advocating a restrictive diet but rather sharing how we have eaten for well over 30 years. Second, I am not advocating Paleo at all so you are mistaken. I'm on the clean eating fence. Sorry to burst your bubble. And yes, there is a lot of credible scientific research to back my position of which I could provide substantial information for you to wade through. However, I do feel you would gain a better insight by researching yourself as I already have the information that supports our lifestyle choice. Aside of keeping up with current research, I really have no need to prove this is working for us. Spend a bit of time using Science Citations or Pub Med.

You're not bursting my bubble at all. Paleo/clean eating are both restrictive ways of eating, so my requests for evidence to back up your claims still stand. You claim that your food choices are healthier than those who don't eat 'clean' (I've heard the same statements for Paleo). You say that there is research to back your claims eg. the effect of GMO on the GIT. I'm asking for you to show me the research. It's a reasonable request.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRU9LvyQv4kfx6Nosbs6lXkx7neXBqm8R_M8K03hFbe95gCgUTjA
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Can you?

You're not bursting my bubble at all. Paleo/clean eating are both restrictive ways of eating, so my requests for evidence to back up your claims still stand. You claim that your food choices are healthier than those who don't eat 'clean' (I've heard the same statements for Paleo). You say that there is research to back your claims eg. the effect of GMO on the GIT. I'm asking for you to show me the research. It's a reasonable request.

Charlotte,

I do not think anybody is trying to convince you to eat 'clean eating, paleo'! If it's not for you and you have no interest in it, nobody will be offended.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to walk away. jmv7117 is not forcing her style of eating onto you so why does she have to give you information.

I'm not trying to get you to eat Primal Blueprint and I do not believe I have not seen anyone else demand that you eat paleo!!

We accept that these styles of dieting are not for you as you would personally find them too restrictive and hey, we're fine with that.

Enjoy your day. :smile:
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

I think you are reading a different thread if you are the one feeling sensitive about your diet choice and feel that people on this thread are attacking you.

Most diets when eating in a calorie deficit and if the dieter is a healthy individual then, I would suggest that most of those diets would be health to that person.

Paleo, primal, clean eating, LCHF, etc...... are just other types of healthy diets and sometimes are better suited to people who have underlining issues with their current style of eating.

I'm not sure who you are referring to as someone who feels 'superiority of their choices'. Maybe you are mistaking superiority with someone who is pleased about the personal choice they have made - and for them this perceived restriction does not exist.

Just because someone is defending a choice they have made and maybe disagreeing with you doesn't necessarily mean they are trying to imply that their diet is 'the one and only' (unless of course they are Chesney).

Yes they maybe happy with the results they have had and out of some realisation that what has worked for them may work for others - so may make a recommendation that others if they are so inclined may wish to try it for themselves - but surely that as all fellow dieters would only be the polite thing to do!

Maybe the way forward would be for everyone to accept that there is not a 'one size fits all' diet.

Nope, I don't feel sensitive about my food choices at all. I'm happy with them. I also don't feel that anyone is attacking me.

I thought my point was clear. I was asking jmv to provide evidence for the claims he/she made about the research showing "the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract" and that "certain food additives are addictive". I was also commenting on his/her statement about avoiding food additives to be more 'healthy' because they may be carcinogens by explaining that many compounds found in nature that we consume can also be carcinogens in certain doses and under certain circumstances, so it's kind of silly to me. Food additives also keep food safe from microorganisms that can make people very ill. There are positives and negatives. It's a big call to avoid them to 'keep healthy'.

I don't care less how anyone eats. Of course it's absolutely their choice. What I don't like is when people claim that their choices are somehow superior than others with different choices.

I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of nutritional science and I try to keep up to date. When someone makes claims that seems incorrect, I ask for credible evidence. It's a reasonable request isn't it?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

I do not think anybody is trying to convince you to eat 'clean eating, paleo'! If it's not for you and you have no interest in it, nobody will be offended.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to walk away. jmv7117 is not forcing her style of eating onto you so why does she have to give you information.

I'm not trying to get you to eat Primal Blueprint and I do not believe I have not seen anyone else demand that you eat paleo!!

We accept that these styles of dieting are not for you as you would personally find them too restrictive and hey, we're fine with that.

Oh, so you're speaking for jmv now?

I didn't think you were trying to get me to eat another way. You're funny! :laugh:

I was asking for evidence for claims made that a certain way to eat is healthier. Obviously there is none so I suppose I should just walk away.....putting my trainers on as I type.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

Oh, so you're speaking for jmv now?

I didn't think you were trying to get me to eat another way. You're funny! :laugh:

I was asking for evidence for claims made that a certain way to eat is healthier. Obviously there is none so I suppose I should just walk away.....putting my trainers on as I type.....

marks daily apple…that seems to be the preferred scholarly source *sarcasm intended* for most paleo types…..LOL