Paleo vs. Clean eating?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Also, I'd like to know a) why it's "healthy" compared to other choices and b) how cows (or any animals) can function without hormones? :P

If you are referring to our lifestyle, our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of food dyes to the point that some are not even allowed Europe forcing the American food manufacturer to remove them if they want to sell that product there. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract. Food preservatives can cause a huge problem and there is pressure on companies for their removal. There is all kinds of information on the harmful side effects of BPA found in the lining of commercially canned foods. Then there is pink slime, meat glue and a whole range of questionable food additives that are only removed from our foods after the damage has been done. Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that. Whether these harmful chemicals have a short half-life or not, they are still in your body and have the potential to do harm as they pass through your body. If your food is making you sick, or has the potential to cause physical harm at some level, then it isn't really healthy, is it? If you avoid exposure to these harmful chemicals by choosing foods free of them, then by default the food itself is a healthier choice.

Hormone free with respect to animals refers to the addition of growth hormone to force the animal to maturity faster. It's a cost savings measure to boost profits. There is a lot of scientific research on how growth hormones and antibiotics in meats and milk are affecting especially children. All you have to do is go directly to the peer reviewed scientific journals to find this information.

There is a lot of misinformation in this post. Sure some food additives are carcinogens, but some 'naturally occurring' food components are also carcinogens. As an example, grilled meat, juice from heated meat, and stewed meat heated for a long time all contain heterocyclic amines which are carcinogens. Read up about the beta carotene lung cancer clinical trial and you will see that vitamins in large doses may also be carcinogens. It's much too simplistic to say "our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another" because YOUR food choices likely contain carcinogens and genotoxins too.

Re your comment, "There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract.", can you please provide a link to these the studies. . I am not aware of any credible studies that show this.

Re your comment, "Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that", can you please provide a link to these studies.

I agree that growth hormones and antibiotics in meat and milk aren't good, but that has nothing to do with Paleo food choices.

The thing that gets to me about advocates of restrictive diets such as Paleo is when they jump on their soapbox and talk about the superiority of their choices and that it's backed by science etc and those of us who don't follow the [latest fad] diet are ignorant/unhealthy/uneducated/making poor choices/more prone to cancer...the list goes on. When they are asked to demonstrate the science by referring to credible sources, they can't.

Can you?

You quoted me and no there is not a lot of misinformation there. First, I am not advocating a restrictive diet but rather sharing how we have eaten for well over 30 years. Second, I am not advocating Paleo at all so you are mistaken. I'm on the clean eating fence. Sorry to burst your bubble. And yes, there is a lot of credible scientific research to back my position of which I could provide substantial information for you to wade through. However, I do feel you would gain a better insight by researching yourself as I already have the information that supports our lifestyle choice. Aside of keeping up with current research, I really have no need to prove this is working for us. Spend a bit of time using Science Citations or Pub Med.

You're not bursting my bubble at all. Paleo/clean eating are both restrictive ways of eating, so my requests for evidence to back up your claims still stand. You claim that your food choices are healthier than those who don't eat 'clean' (I've heard the same statements for Paleo). You say that there is research to back your claims eg. the effect of GMO on the GIT. I'm asking for you to show me the research. It's a reasonable request.

Charlotte,

I do not think anybody is trying to convince you to eat 'clean eating, paleo'! If it's not for you and you have no interest in it, nobody will be offended.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to walk away. jmv7117 is not forcing her style of eating onto you so why does she have to give you information.

I'm not trying to get you to eat Primal Blueprint and I do not believe I have not seen anyone else demand that you eat paleo!!

We accept that these styles of dieting are not for you as you would personally find them too restrictive and hey, we're fine with that.

Enjoy your day. :smile:

Oh, so you're speaking for jmv now?

I didn't think you were trying to get me to eat another way. You're funny! :laugh:

I was asking for evidence for claims made that a certain way to eat is healthier. Obviously there is none so I suppose I should just walk away.....putting my trainers on as I type.....

Have a good run!:happy:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Also, I'd like to know a) why it's "healthy" compared to other choices and b) how cows (or any animals) can function without hormones? :P

If you are referring to our lifestyle, our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of food dyes to the point that some are not even allowed Europe forcing the American food manufacturer to remove them if they want to sell that product there. There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract. Food preservatives can cause a huge problem and there is pressure on companies for their removal. There is all kinds of information on the harmful side effects of BPA found in the lining of commercially canned foods. Then there is pink slime, meat glue and a whole range of questionable food additives that are only removed from our foods after the damage has been done. Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that. Whether these harmful chemicals have a short half-life or not, they are still in your body and have the potential to do harm as they pass through your body. If your food is making you sick, or has the potential to cause physical harm at some level, then it isn't really healthy, is it? If you avoid exposure to these harmful chemicals by choosing foods free of them, then by default the food itself is a healthier choice.

Hormone free with respect to animals refers to the addition of growth hormone to force the animal to maturity faster. It's a cost savings measure to boost profits. There is a lot of scientific research on how growth hormones and antibiotics in meats and milk are affecting especially children. All you have to do is go directly to the peer reviewed scientific journals to find this information.

There is a lot of misinformation in this post. Sure some food additives are carcinogens, but some 'naturally occurring' food components are also carcinogens. As an example, grilled meat, juice from heated meat, and stewed meat heated for a long time all contain heterocyclic amines which are carcinogens. Read up about the beta carotene lung cancer clinical trial and you will see that vitamins in large doses may also be carcinogens. It's much too simplistic to say "our food choices are healthier because they are free of a number of food additives and residues that are carcinogenic or detrimental to health in one way or another" because YOUR food choices likely contain carcinogens and genotoxins too.

Re your comment, "There is a lot of information on the negative impact of GMO on the gastro-intestinal tract.", can you please provide a link to these the studies. . I am not aware of any credible studies that show this.

Re your comment, "Certain food additives are actually addictive and there is scientific studies that prove that", can you please provide a link to these studies.

I agree that growth hormones and antibiotics in meat and milk aren't good, but that has nothing to do with Paleo food choices.

The thing that gets to me about advocates of restrictive diets such as Paleo is when they jump on their soapbox and talk about the superiority of their choices and that it's backed by science etc and those of us who don't follow the [latest fad] diet are ignorant/unhealthy/uneducated/making poor choices/more prone to cancer...the list goes on. When they are asked to demonstrate the science by referring to credible sources, they can't.

Can you?

You quoted me and no there is not a lot of misinformation there. First, I am not advocating a restrictive diet but rather sharing how we have eaten for well over 30 years. Second, I am not advocating Paleo at all so you are mistaken. I'm on the clean eating fence. Sorry to burst your bubble. And yes, there is a lot of credible scientific research to back my position of which I could provide substantial information for you to wade through. However, I do feel you would gain a better insight by researching yourself as I already have the information that supports our lifestyle choice. Aside of keeping up with current research, I really have no need to prove this is working for us. Spend a bit of time using Science Citations or Pub Med.

You're not bursting my bubble at all. Paleo/clean eating are both restrictive ways of eating, so my requests for evidence to back up your claims still stand. You claim that your food choices are healthier than those who don't eat 'clean' (I've heard the same statements for Paleo). You say that there is research to back your claims eg. the effect of GMO on the GIT. I'm asking for you to show me the research. It's a reasonable request.

Charlotte,

I do not think anybody is trying to convince you to eat 'clean eating, paleo'! If it's not for you and you have no interest in it, nobody will be offended.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to walk away. jmv7117 is not forcing her style of eating onto you so why does she have to give you information.

I'm not trying to get you to eat Primal Blueprint and I do not believe I have not seen anyone else demand that you eat paleo!!

We accept that these styles of dieting are not for you as you would personally find them too restrictive and hey, we're fine with that.

I didn't think you were trying to get me to eat another way. You're funny! :laugh:

I was asking for evidence for claims made that a certain way to eat is healthier. Obviously there is none so I suppose I should just walk away.....putting my trainers on as I type.....

marks daily apple…that seems to be the preferred scholarly source *sarcasm intended* for most paleo types…..LOL

So ndj, please do share your sources of information, as they are obviously 100% peer reviewed and non-bias.

Plus I'm British - don't worry we get sarcasm (it does spoil the joke though when you have to point it out). lol:smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

marks daily apple…that seems to be the preferred scholarly source *sarcasm intended* for most paleo types…..LOL

So ndj, please do share your sources of information, as they are obviously 100% peer reviewed and non-bias.

Plus I'm British - don't worry we get sarcasm (it does spoil the joke though when you have to point it out). lol:smile:

ummmm I did not make any claims…so why would I need to post sources….?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

Yeah ndj, where are your sources? :laugh: :laugh:

Now I know I'm not going nuts.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

I guess I need to post sources, to be able to post in threads now????
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

But if you know for fact that all of the claims from Marks Sisson's are wrong you must have evidence to contradict his claims - therefore you must have a source - come on share!

After all if I'm getting it wrong - wouldn't the decent thing to do be to help a fellow MFP member out?

It would save all this debating on the threads if we all knew as much as you and Charlotte.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

I guess I need to post sources, to be able to post in threads now????

No, but that does seem to be your stand point on people posting opinions you disagree with. Am I wrong?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRU9LvyQv4kfx6Nosbs6lXkx7neXBqm8R_M8K03hFbe95gCgUTjA

Not much ;)
  • jmv7117
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

Obviously there is evidence. Do you not know how to do the research yourself? And, for the record you were the one to jump all over me because of our eating/lifestyle. What you agenda is, is of no concern to me. Eat clean, eat dirty, eat upside down. I don't care. As far as food additives, why don't you research on some of those found in foods like sodium benzoate or yellow dye #5 or BPA. All have direct and negative effects on health. Here's another hint for you to research; the effects of excess sodium and sugar on the human body, something most processed foods are high in. Oh, and HFCS is a real winner. You can even research the effects of antibiotics in meat and their effect on the human body or just take your chances and hope you don't actually need to use antibiotics at some point. I honestly don't care if you want to eat these ingredients. The list goes on and on. Be my guest. I 'choose' not to on the basis of scientific research that supports my position.

You appear to have an axe to grind which I hear doesn't burn all that many calories but does raise your cortisol levels ;)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Can you?

Charlotte,

Obviously there is evidence. Do you not know how to do the research yourself? And, for the record you were the one to jump all over me because of our eating/lifestyle. What you agenda is, is of no concern to me. Eat clean, eat dirty, eat upside down. I don't care. As far as food additives, why don't you research on some of those found in foods like sodium benzoate or yellow dye #5 or BPA. All have direct and negative effects on health. Here's another hint for you to research; the effects of excess sodium and sugar on the human body. Oh, and HFCS is a real winner. I honestly don't care if you want to eat these ingredients. You can even research the effects of antibiotics in meat and their effect on the human body or just take your chances and hope you don't actually need to use antibiotics at some point. The list goes on and on. Be my guest. I 'choose' not to on the basis of scientific research that supports my position.

You appear to have an axe to grind which I hear doesn't burn all that many calories but does raise your cortisol levels ;)

Obviously defensive and still no evidence of your GMO effects on the GIT claims and addictive properties of certain additives. Oh dear...

PS. Don't you go and worry yourself about my cortisol levels either. I'm quite relaxed about requesting scientific evidence for questionable nutrition claims and other areas of interest to me. ;)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do you not know how to do the research yourself? .....Here's another hint for you to research; the effects of excess sodium and sugar on the human body, something most processed foods are high in. Oh, and HFCS is a real winner.
    I've researched all of those (less so HFCS, but it's come up). From what I can see, yes, they can be issues for SOME people. Not ALL people.

Again, I don't go around claiming the things that cause me problems are intrinsically 'unhealthy' just because my body doesn't work with them.

I've read up a LOT of stuff on sugar - going through a good many research papers, reading the methodology and so on. I've asked the current lustig-backed group in the UK for what research they base it on (seems that question was a bit much for them) and so on. What I've found is that in reality for someone such as myself there is negligible reason to worry about the health risks.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Obviously there is evidence. Do you not know how to do the research yourself? And, for the record you were the one to jump all over me because of our eating/lifestyle. What you agenda is, is of no concern to me. Eat clean, eat dirty, eat upside down. I don't care. As far as food additives, why don't you research on some of those found in foods like sodium benzoate or yellow dye #5 or BPA. All have direct and negative effects on health. Here's another hint for you to research; the effects of excess sodium and sugar on the human body, something most processed foods are high in. Oh, and HFCS is a real winner. You can even research the effects of antibiotics in meat and their effect on the human body or just take your chances and hope you don't actually need to use antibiotics at some point. I honestly don't care if you want to eat these ingredients. The list goes on and on. Be my guest. I 'choose' not to on the basis of scientific research that supports my position.

Spoken like a true ignorant zealot

Wow - your response was typed with angry fingers. Lol

But just to get this straight - anyone who doesn't agree with you and asks you to look up your own research is an ignorant zealot (I'm sure there's some logic there somewhere)!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Congrats on the 10,000 posts by the way!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    But just to get this straight - anyone who doesn't agree with you and asks you to look up your own research is an ignorant zealot (I'm sure there's some logic there somewhere)!
    He said that the post was spike like a "true ignorant zealot".

He did not say they were that, only that they spoke like that.

Sounds perfectly logical to me.
    It does ring true for someone that keeps insisting they are correct and have backup to prove it. Just that they expect others to look for that backup, which we can presume they are SUGGESTING they've found themselves. The fact that they don't provide this research which is being suggested exists makes the claims 'questionable'.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Logic? Like this logic?

" I 'choose' not to on the basis of scientific research that supports my position. "

What does he do with the wealth of scientific research that disagrees with his position? How does he factor in what the bulk of literature says on a given subject? If it disagrees with his position, just cherry picks ones that do agree?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Logic? Like this logic?

" I 'choose' not to on the basis of scientific research that supports my position. "

What does he do with the wealth of scientific research that disagrees with his position? How does he factor in what the bulk of literature says on a given subject? If it disagrees with his position, just cherry picks ones that do agree?

Lol - are we talking about Mark?

That's really funny dude!!!!
  • jmv7117
    Options

Why thank-you :)
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It does ring true for someone that keeps insisting they are correct and have backup to prove it. Just that they expect others to look for that backup, which we can presume they are SUGGESTING they've found themselves. The fact that they don't provide this research which is being suggested exists makes the claims 'questionable'.

That's fine - question it. Surely we are questioning things in our journey for extra knowledge, but when someone has asked you to find it yourself, why not just do that, rather than keep busting her *kitten* on it.

You guys are like the study squad - well if you love studies so much you must have some your end, chuck them over, I personally love reading them.

I don't at this present time have any regarding food ingredients, and would love to start my collection off.

So come on - share!
  • jmv7117
    Options

The problem with your above comments is your lack of comprehension. I have not in any way, shape or form "insisted" our way of eating was 'correct'. I have not suggested anyone follow our way and in fact all I have said is we eat what would be considered 'clean'. Now, an ignorant person is one who refuses to do their own research, belittles those who do and lashes out against those who do not agree with them. Simply do your own research and make up your own mind. I'm not going to do the research for you. It is up to you to take responsibility for your own health and sometimes that does mean doing your own research.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Logic? Like this logic?

Lol - are we talking about Mark?

That's really funny dude!!!!
    Didn't you just link a study from MDA where flax seed was associated with prostate cancer.......Mark seemed to be using it to infer that ALA from flax is suspect and that fish oil was a better source of omega's........the problem with that is EPA and DHA are not essential fats and ALA is. While I agree that we should consume EPA/DHA we should also consume ALA.