Paleo vs. Clean eating?

Options

Replies

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Clean eating seems to be pretty subjective. To ME clean eating is nothing processed and nothing out of a box/package.

That said, I don't eat clean. I drink milk, eat cheese, and eggs etc. That all comes out of a package.
  • Moira945
    Moira945 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not another "clean eating" thread....jeez.

"Clean" has no definition when it comes to food. Just stop it, people. If you want to eat unprocessed foods, that's great...but stop pretending like it's anything other than eating at a calorie deficit. *sigh*
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

"Clean" has no definition when it comes to food. Just stop it, people. If you want to eat unprocessed foods, that's great...but stop pretending like it's anything other than eating at a calorie deficit. *sigh*

?? What do calories have to do with clean eating?.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Eating paleo has been around for literally thousands of years...... which I think by definition makes it the polar opposite of a fad....

no it hasn't. If by "paleo" you mean actual palaeolithic diets, well they've been around in some form for around 2 million years, but trust me none of them bear any resemblance to the diet that calls itself "the paleo diet" on the internet

palaeolithic people ate grains and legumes for one thing. For another, they ate stuff like insects and insect larvae and a lot of other things that modern people find disgusting and are not part of "the paleo diet" of internet gurus. The earliest Homo sapiens people ate a lot of hippos. I don't see anyone promoting eating hippos either. And most neglect to mention the fact that modern farm animals are the result of selective breeding and have different macros to the wild animal species they're descended from. And none of the people I've seen promoting the paleo diet online or even authors of books seem to have any level of knowledge of palaeoanthropology, not even basic palaeoanthropology 101 type knowledge. They seem to get their information on "cavemen" from popular stereotypes or from watching the Flintstones.

the pseudo-paleo diet of internet gurus has been around since the 70s at the earliest. It isn't based on what palaeolithic people actually ate. It's based on the theory that foods that have been introduced into the human diet most recently cause the most problems with allergies and intolerances, which is a theory that has some merit, but the logical conclusion from it shouldn't be for everyone to avoid all these foods or for them to be declared unfit for human consumption, it should be for people who are actually allergic or intolerant to avoid them while everyone else carries on eating them.

As for avoiding processed food, that would be a pre-industrial diet, not a pre-neolithic diet. You only have to go back a hundred or so years for that, not 10,000 years.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Actually, it's been more about paleo eating than clean eating.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Some people use the difficulty of finding/preparing "clean" (however they define it), the extra fiber and reduction in added sugars to provide portion control without counting calories - thus contributing to weight loss.

Other people choose a "clean" diet to avoid additives and/or protect the environment from the standard practices of feedlots.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    The only reason im not paleo is my meat isnt grassfed & I have a cheat day. Thats all you had to go off of. A lot of paleo people are 80/20 so my saturday burger is well within guidlines. I try my best bc this diet seems to work for me whatever you wanna call it. Broke paleo I suppose since I cant affort top dollar meat. A lot of these paleo people wanna call themselves cavemen & theyre not. They are nothing like paleolithic people. Thats why I dont like calling it paleo even though I based my diet on that when I made the change. I really dont know why it matters at all though. If it helps ill retract that. Im NOT paleo. I just dont eat grains, legumes, dairy or processed foods MOST of the time.

That's a much better description :flowerforyou:

Agreed. My post was not meant as critism. Just to point out that most people that tout the benefits of paleo are really just touting the benefits of cleaning up their diet (or whatever non-"clean" term doesn't spark attack mode) and eating low carb.

I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intention.

I'm calling my eating strategy a "mindful" way of eating, since I'm don't really fit into any strict category.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Some people use the difficulty of finding/preparing "clean" (however they define it), the extra fiber and reduction in added sugars to provide portion control without counting calories - thus contributing to weight loss.

Other people choose a "clean" diet to avoid additives and/or protect the environment from the standard practices of feedlots.

I would agree that it's probably easier to control calories with clean eating, but it's not a given. Fatty meats, honey, avocado, nuts, seeds, ... these are just a few high calorie clean foods.

Using clean eating as method of reducing calories is not the same as clean eating = calorie deficit.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I would agree that it's probably easier to control calories with clean eating, but it's not a given. Fatty meats, honey, avocado, nuts, seeds, ... these are just a few high calorie clean foods.

Using clean eating as method of reducing calories is not the same as clean eating = calorie deficit.

Most people promoting these programs promise that they will allow you to lose weight/gain muscle "without deprivation or counting calories"

Many people on this site explain that they got fat on "healthy" food.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The only reason im not paleo is my meat isnt grassfed & I have a cheat day. Thats all you had to go off of. A lot of paleo people are 80/20 so my saturday burger is well within guidlines. I try my best bc this diet seems to work for me whatever you wanna call it. Broke paleo I suppose since I cant affort top dollar meat. A lot of these paleo people wanna call themselves cavemen & theyre not. They are nothing like paleolithic people. Thats why I dont like calling it paleo even though I based my diet on that when I made the change. I really dont know why it matters at all though. If it helps ill retract that. Im NOT paleo. I just dont eat grains, legumes, dairy or processed foods MOST of the time.

Agreed. My post was not meant as critism. Just to point out that most people that tout the benefits of paleo are really just touting the benefits of cleaning up their diet (or whatever non-"clean" term doesn't spark attack mode) and eating low carb.

I'm calling my eating strategy a "mindful" way of eating, since I'm don't really fit into any strict category.

I'd call my diet "80%" mindful and 20% Kraft Mac and Cheese.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Eating paleo has been around for literally thousands of years...... which I think by definition makes it the polar opposite of a fad....

no it hasn't. If by "paleo" you mean actual palaeolithic diets, well they've been around in some form for around 2 million years, but trust me none of them bear any resemblance to the diet that calls itself "the paleo diet" on the internet

palaeolithic people ate grains and legumes for one thing. For another, they ate stuff like insects and insect larvae and a lot of other things that modern people find disgusting and are not part of "the paleo diet" of internet gurus. The earliest Homo sapiens people ate a lot of hippos. I don't see anyone promoting eating hippos either. And most neglect to mention the fact that modern farm animals are the result of selective breeding and have different macros to the wild animal species they're descended from. And none of the people I've seen promoting the paleo diet online or even authors of books seem to have any level of knowledge of palaeoanthropology, not even basic palaeoanthropology 101 type knowledge. They seem to get their information on "cavemen" from popular stereotypes or from watching the Flintstones.

the pseudo-paleo diet of internet gurus has been around since the 70s at the earliest. It isn't based on what palaeolithic people actually ate. It's based on the theory that foods that have been introduced into the human diet most recently cause the most problems with allergies and intolerances, which is a theory that has some merit, but the logical conclusion from it shouldn't be for everyone to avoid all these foods or for them to be declared unfit for human consumption, it should be for people who are actually allergic or intolerant to avoid them while everyone else carries on eating them.

As for avoiding processed food, that would be a pre-industrial diet, not a pre-neolithic diet. You only have to go back a hundred or so years for that, not 10,000 years.

/thread
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    why do people get soo upset when someone mentions Paleo diet!!?? If that's what they wanna do then the more power to them , who are we to judge?? Geesh!!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I'd call my diet "80%" mindful and 20% Kraft Mac and Cheese.

my mindful diet just included a Twix bar! :happy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating paleo-ish. I was on a 3 month plateau until I started that and have lost an average of 2 lb a week since. I dont like to call it paleo but it basically is. I dont seek out all organic or grassfed though. When I have a good streak of it it makes me feel great & I havent touched my huge bottle of pepto in weeks lol. I have a cheesburger & soda every saturday. Really keeps me motivated all week haha

No, that basically is not paleo at all.
    Thats why I said ish. & its a whole lot closer to paleo then other diets. & yes I follow the BASIC guidlines. Boo I guess im not paleo enough :'(

I'm paleo too, except for the grains, legumes, potatoes and dairy.

That's what I find so...interesting about paleo. It's kind of like religion...I'm an X...except I don't really believe in the Y & Z part (which are usually kind of important to being X). I like how they also incorporate an "out"...in this case being 80/20 or whatever is fine...kinda like going to confession I suppose.

I think it's the only diet that really does this...I know a couple vegans and some vegetarians, and they don't have cheat days and eat steaks or whatever. I don't care one way or the other, I just find it all very amusing...which is good, because I need entertainment.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Most people promoting these programs promise that they will allow you to lose weight/gain muscle "without deprivation or counting calories"

Many people on this site explain that they got fat on "healthy" food.

Oh, that!

*sigh* Such a simple and basic idea corrupted by the money hungry "diet industry". Why must it always be so?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Ive been eating paleo-ish. I was on a 3 month plateau until I started that and have lost an average of 2 lb a week since. I dont like to call it paleo but it basically is. I dont seek out all organic or grassfed though. When I have a good streak of it it makes me feel great & I havent touched my huge bottle of pepto in weeks lol. I have a cheesburger & soda every saturday. Really keeps me motivated all week haha

No, that basically is not paleo at all.
    Thats why I said ish. & its a whole lot closer to paleo then other diets. & yes I follow the BASIC guidlines. Boo I guess im not paleo enough :'(

I'm paleo too, except for the grains, legumes, potatoes and dairy.

That's what I find so...interesting about paleo. It's kind of like religion...I'm an X...except I don't really believe in the Y & Z part (which are usually kind of important to being X). I like how they also incorporate an "out"...in this case being 80/20 or whatever is fine...kinda like going to confession I suppose.

I think it's the only diet that really does this...I know a couple vegans and some vegetarians, and they don't have cheat days and eat steaks or whatever. I don't care one way or the other, I just find it all very amusing...which is good, because I need entertainment.

This ^^ exactly was my point. Though you stated it better.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    why do people get soo upset when someone mentions Paleo diet!!?? If that's what they wanna do then the more power to them , who are we to judge?? Geesh!!

We don't judge the diet. We judge the imaginary "caveman" philosophical underpinnings and the bogus reasons to avoid commonly eaten staples.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I am here to judge.

tumblr_lm6zhe2l6v1qdhmifo1_500.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Your over thinking it.

Most people doing paleo just like to food choices - most other people (like myself) doing paleo style diets for the flexibility.

There's no hidden agenda - It just had to be called something.

And everybody's assumption that people doing paleo think their better - well their just plain wrong.

19anbjcx2u3gxgif.gif
  • bcattoes
    Options

We don't judge the diet. We judge the imaginary "caveman" philosophical underpinnings and the bogus reasons to avoid commonly eaten staples.

I judge the diet. Caveman aside it makes completely false assertions like legumes are unhealthy. Legumes are not unheatlhy or toxic.

I don't care if people eat legumes or not, and I don't care what diet strangers choose to follow. But I judge the paleo diet to be a pack of lies! Beans are good food!!