Paleo vs. Clean eating?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Paleo is basically going back to how your ancestors lived, there we're not chocolate bars on store shelves, no Mr Noodles, no Frozen Lasanga.... i have been living Paleo for a month - I chose Paleo because of poor health, lack of energy, no desire to do anything, and my dr couldnt find anything wrong with me.
    So, now i am full of energy, i can think straight again, i have lost inches, and am WAY easier to get a long with.
    I dont eat anything processed, this includes, BREAD!.
    If i want a chocolate treat, i mix some Organic Powedered unsweaten Cocoa, with some honey, and dip some dates in it, or Orange slices or whatever.. NOT COOKIES
    I do eat Dairy, so, some would banish me from the Paleo Group.... Greek - 0 Fat - Yogurt... And i put half n half in my coffee.
    And yes, i still drink coffee.
    For the most part my diet consists of , Fresh washed fruits and vegetables, 100 Meat products, no Frozen pumped full of chemical chicken breasts.
    to Sum it up, read the label, if it contains any form of sugar, and any ingredients that are not naturally part of the product, dont eat it!
    Email me if you would like more tips, i am going on 6 weeks, and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

This is why we mock.

You're not eating clean. You're not eating Paleo or Primal. You're practicing moderation and enjoying processed foods like everyone else.

You tell people you don't eat any processed foods, and then run down a list of all the processed foods you eat. You tell people that if it contains any form of sugar or ingredients not natural to the product they shouldn't eat it, but you drink half and half and eat store brand yogurt.

You can't even follow the diet you claim to be on and you tell others to ask you for tips on how to do it.

You're not Paleo. You're practicing moderation. Congratulations. You aren't really on the fad diet you claim you're on, and that's a good thing.

The name Paleo may be fad but the diet is not.

You don't have to be free of sin to be catholic - that's why they have confessionals!!!! Yet I would not claim someone having to go to confession as not being Catholic.

Paleo is basically eating healthily via Low Carb and High Fat.

Now unless I am wrong but people were following this style of diet over a century ago - so I wouldn't class eating this style as Fad.

If you really are only hung up on the name (which clearly you are) then when you refer to it call it LICHIF or something else which describes it more accurately.

But at the end of the day unless you point out some health reason for not eating low car / high fat - I really don't understand your anger?

wtf does this even mean?!

I think it means that if you say you're Catholic, but you worship Buddha, you're still Catholic. But hey, I could be wrong.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Paleo is basically going back to how your ancestors lived, there we're not chocolate bars on store shelves, no Mr Noodles, no Frozen Lasanga.... i have been living Paleo for a month - I chose Paleo because of poor health, lack of energy, no desire to do anything, and my dr couldnt find anything wrong with me.
    So, now i am full of energy, i can think straight again, i have lost inches, and am WAY easier to get a long with.
    If i want a chocolate treat, i mix some Organic Powedered unsweaten Cocoa, with some honey, and dip some dates in it, or Orange slices or whatever.. NOT COOKIES
    I do eat Dairy, so, some would banish me from the Paleo Group.... Greek - 0 Fat - Yogurt... And i put half n half in my coffee.
    For the most part my diet consists of , Fresh washed fruits and vegetables, 100 Meat products, no Frozen pumped full of chemical chicken breasts.
    to Sum it up, read the label, if it contains any form of sugar, and any ingredients that are not naturally part of the product, dont eat it!
    Email me if you would like more tips, i am going on 6 weeks, and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

This is why we mock.

You're not eating clean. You're not eating Paleo or Primal. You're practicing moderation and enjoying processed foods like everyone else.

You tell people you don't eat any processed foods, and then run down a list of all the processed foods you eat. You tell people that if it contains any form of sugar or ingredients not natural to the product they shouldn't eat it, but you drink half and half and eat store brand yogurt.

You can't even follow the diet you claim to be on and you tell others to ask you for tips on how to do it.

You're not Paleo. You're practicing moderation. Congratulations. You aren't really on the fad diet you claim you're on, and that's a good thing.

Do you find mocking and ridicule to be useful interpersonal tool in you life? Do you regularly mock and ridicule people who think or act differently than you do or may be mistaken about something?

This is what I find ironic, and frankly, downright cowardly. I have a hard time imagining so many people doing this in real life. In my experience, if you do this, you'll lose pretty much all credibility in a group of reasonable adults. It makes you sound like a petulant teenager and complete jerk. And that's what is so confusing to me -- do you have any understanding that you delivery undercuts your supposed message? People look like jerks when they stoop to such levels. And either they really are like this in life -- and if so, it must be very, very lonely -- or they only do this on anonymous internet boards (far too common as a general rule) -- and it's cowardly in my opinion.

I don't know HelwithThis, but if somebody told me IRL they followed Paleo and told me they eat all those things, I would laugh. It has nothing to do with being cowardly, mocking, judging, or anything else.

I find the same thing funny when someone tells me they don't eat carbs but run down the list of fruits and vegetables they now eat. Or another person that says they don't eat sugar but they still drink milk and eat fruit. Basically, I just find it interesting that a person wants to give tips on how to follow a diet when they don't even possess the knowledge of the basis premises of the diet.

It is not wrong to judge others' words. If someone says something that is incorrect, I think it is a fair judgement to point out that it is inccorect. Words matter, especially on a forum where advice is constantly requested and given.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is why we mock.

Do you find mocking and ridicule to be useful interpersonal tool in you life? Do you regularly mock and ridicule people who think or act differently than you do or may be mistaken about something?

This is what I find ironic, and frankly, downright cowardly. I have a hard time imagining so many people doing this in real life. In my experience, if you do this, you'll lose pretty much all credibility in a group of reasonable adults. It makes you sound like a petulant teenager and complete jerk. And that's what is so confusing to me -- do you have any understanding that you delivery undercuts your supposed message? People look like jerks when they stoop to such levels. And either they really are like this in life -- and if so, it must be very, very lonely -- or they only do this on anonymous internet boards (far too common as a general rule) -- and it's cowardly in my opinion.

If someone told you they followed a strict vegan lifestyle while they were eating a cheeseburger what would you think? And if they then offered to help you eliminate processed foods from your life...while pouring creamer in their coffee?

I'll stop rolling my eyes when people stop saying dumb ****.

I wouldn't care. I probably just wouldn't engage them in conversation about the topic or realize that my definition may be off -- perhaps adherence wasn't as strict as I thought. But I certainly wouldn't start mocking or ridiculing them because that would be just as bad if not worse. Seriously?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

This is why we mock.

I don't know HelwithThis, but if somebody told me IRL they followed Paleo and told me they eat all those things, I would laugh. It has nothing to do with being cowardly, mocking, judging, or anything else.

I find the same thing funny when someone tells me they don't eat carbs but run down the list of fruits and vegetables they now eat. Or another person that says they don't eat sugar but they still drink milk and eat fruit. Basically, I just find it interesting that a person wants to give tips on how to follow a diet when they don't even possess the knowledge of the basis premises of the diet.

It is not wrong to judge others' words. If someone says something that is incorrect, I think it is a fair judgement to point out that it is inccorect. Words matter, especially on a forum where advice is constantly requested and given.

You're intentionally obtuse or you're simply just not that bright. I'm not sure which is which.

If someone said he didn't eat carbs and then ate fruits and vegetables then I would assume when they said carbs they meant processed/refined carbs. That seems pretty obvious. Same thing with sugar. If they're still drinking milk and eating fruit but not eating sugar than they mean processed sugar not naturally occurring types of sugar like lactose, fructose etc. C'mon, that's obvious.

If you'd really laugh at someone for that, you not only look like a jerk but would look stupid as well.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    If someone told you they followed a strict vegan lifestyle while they were eating a cheeseburger what would you think? And if they then offered to help you eliminate processed foods from your life...while pouring creamer in their coffee?

I wouldn't care. I probably just wouldn't engage them in conversation about the topic or realize that my definition may be off -- perhaps adherence wasn't as strict as I thought. But I certainly wouldn't start mocking or ridiculing them because that would be just as bad if not worse. Seriously?

I guess we're different. I don't like hypocrisy. I find it to be dishonest. I don't see any problem saying it. I get that you feel that holding your tongue is "nicer". But this is a public forum and people are looking for advice. I feel that the people offering it should be able to back up the claims they make.

If someone is trying to push their diet plan on someone else I think it should be a good plan that they actually follow.

If someone is trying to use this site to push expensive shakes for weightloss that don't work I'll call them out on it.

You are free to keep quietly allowing everything to pass. I'm free to point out the flaws in the logic people are touting.

"All that is required for evil to win is for good people to say nothing" -paraphrased and over the top quote by someone I don't know.

If people are trying to push their diet plan to the exclusion of all else or sell stuff, sure, I understand the need to challenge it. But when people are simply sharing their own personal experiences as examples of what worked for them, that I don't understand the need to be so disrespectful, especially in the name of supposed hypocrisy. And there is a difference, and for the people being mocked were in the latter group and not the former. In fact, I haven't seen any of the former at all.

And from all that I've seen, people talking about the Paleo or primal lifestyle are only on Paleo or primal threads. They aren't going on the other threads and preaching about how awesome Paleo/primal are. I've never seen that. What I do see is people that are anti-Paleo primal, who mock and ridicule, go out of their way onto Paleo/primal threads to bash it. It's like going into a Jewish temple and bashing Judaism, and then wondering why people find it offensive. That's what I've seen.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

This is why we mock.

You're intentionally obtuse or you're simply just not that bright. I'm not sure which is which.

If someone said he didn't eat carbs and then ate fruits and vegetables then I would assume when they said carbs they meant processed/refined carbs. That seems pretty obvious. Same thing with sugar. If they're still drinking milk and eating fruit but not eating sugar than they mean processed sugar not naturally occurring types of sugar like lactose, fructose etc. C'mon, that's obvious.

If you'd really laugh at someone for that, you not only look like a jerk but would look stupid as well.

It makes them obviously wrong.

I don't laugh at people for saying those things because it is common for people to say they don't eat carbs and only mean processed grains and refined sugars. It's a common mistake, but I will correct them on it.

I do laugh when someone says they aren't eating any refined sugars, and they admit to eating yogurt, which obviously has refined sugar. Come on, that's obviously a contradiction.

And let's be honest here, what do you care if I look like a jerk or look stupid? Clearly, that's your opinion of me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I guess we're different. I don't like hypocrisy. I find it to be dishonest. I don't see any problem saying it. I get that you feel that holding your tongue is "nicer". But this is a public forum and people are looking for advice. I feel that the people offering it should be able to back up the claims they make.

If someone is trying to push their diet plan on someone else I think it should be a good plan that they actually follow.

If someone is trying to use this site to push expensive shakes for weightloss that don't work I'll call them out on it.

You are free to keep quietly allowing everything to pass. I'm free to point out the flaws in the logic people are touting.

"All that is required for evil to win is for good people to say nothing" -paraphrased and over the top quote by someone I don't know.

If people are trying to push their diet plan to the exclusion of all else or sell stuff, sure, I understand the need to challenge it. But when people are simply sharing their own personal experiences as examples of what worked for them, that I don't understand the need to be so disrespectful, especially in the name of supposed hypocrisy. And there is a difference, and for the people being mocked were in the latter group and not the former. In fact, I haven't seen any of the former at all.

And from all that I've seen, people talking about the Paleo or primal lifestyle are only on Paleo or primal threads. They aren't going on the other threads and preaching about how awesome Paleo/primal are. I've never seen that. What I do see is people that are anti-Paleo primal, who mock and ridicule, go out of their way onto Paleo/primal threads to bash it. It's like going into a Jewish temple and bashing Judaism, and then wondering why people find it offensive. That's what I've seen.

If people want only positive reviews about Paleo diet, then they should go into a Paleo group. If I joined a Paleo group just so I could bash it, then your Jewish temple analogy would fit. However, this is a public forum, and people can say what they want. I fail to see why this is so hard to comprehend.

If someone touts the benefits of a diet, says they eat a lot of things completely contradictory of the diet, that doesn't give that person much credibility as far as giving advice goes.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

If people want only positive reviews about Paleo diet, then they should go into a Paleo group. If I joined a Paleo group just so I could bash it, then your Jewish temple analogy would fit. However, this is a public forum, and people can say what they want. I fail to see why this is so hard to comprehend.

If someone touts the benefits of a diet, says they eat a lot of things completely contradictory of the diet, that doesn't give that person much credibility as far as giving advice goes.

I claim the benefits of the LICHIF diet and I do not eat high carbs - you can check my diary if you want! How is that lowering the credibility of the way I eat. I haven't checked Lindseys diary but I'm sure she is likewise.

Also who said you have to eat a certain way 100% of the time to be following a diet? I've been following my particular brand of LICHIF and I do not think I have see in one of the blogs, webpages or heard on any of the podcast that they have, that you have to follow the diet religiously to get the benefits.

Also unless I am mistaken these forums are for fun, supportive and friendly communication.

And if you come across a topic that you don't like either add to the debate constructively or move on by.

You do have an option to set mine or any other members comments to ignore - then you don't have read them - if we offend so much.
  • lisals1979
    Options
    I consider myself and DH Primal-lite.
    During the week, most of our meals are unprocessed home cooked stuff. But we'll still have dairy (DH eats yogurt), and eat whatever for Friday dinner, have some dark chocolate, etc etc.
    It's what is working for our life and what is helping us lose some weight.
    I do fully believe that we're meant to be eating a cleaner diet and processed foods are not good for us. BUT I do have some of that processed stuff every once in a while b/c damnit... some of it tastes good :P lol
    We also don't have a lot of money so don't buy grass fed meats or even organic veggies if they're not on sale. Work with what you have and what is available.

If you're interested in Primal/Paleo, then give it a shot for a month. It's JUST a month and maybe you'll see that it's not as difficult as it sounds.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I claim the benefits of the LICHIF diet and I do not eat high carbs - you can check my diary if you want! How is that lowering the credibility of the way I eat. I haven't checked Lindseys diary but I'm sure she is likewise.

Also who said you have to eat a certain way 100% of the time to be following a diet? I've been following my particular brand of LICHIF and I do not think I have see in one of the blogs, webpages or heard on any of the podcast that they have, that you have to follow the diet religiously to get the benefits.

Also unless I am mistaken these forums are for fun, supportive and friendly communication.

And if you come across a topic that you don't like either add to the debate constructively or move on by.

You do have an option to set mine or any other members comments to ignore - then you don't have read them - if we offend so much.

You've displayed in this thread (and others) that your nutritional understanding is rudimentary at best. While mine also might be rudimentary, I don't inflate my knowledge to appear greater than what it actually is. With that said, I don't really care what your diary looks like.

I'll "move on by" if I feel like it, and you don't get to decide whether my addition to the debate is constructive or not.

I don't have anybody's comments set to ignore. I'm not easily offended, but thanks for the concern.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

All right, I bit. Your food diary is empty! So what are you hiding? Never mind, I was curious but your strong claims followed by an empty diary seems odd.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    It makes them obviously wrong.

I don't laugh at people for saying those things because it is common for people to say they don't eat carbs and only mean processed grains and refined sugars. It's a common mistake, but I will correct them on it.

I do laugh when someone says they aren't eating any refined sugars, and they admit to eating yogurt, which obviously has refined sugar. Come on, that's obviously a contradiction.

And let's be honest here, what do you care if I look like a jerk or look stupid? Clearly, that's your opinion of me.

I don't generally care if you look like a jerk to others, just when you are a jerk to people here.

People say things in different contexts all the time -- I try to understand them, not correct them on their degree of literalness. I don't expect people to be literal all the time or speak like attorneys with a list of risks, assumptions and disclosures with every basic statement. It would be exhausting if we all talked like that. That's appropriate for legal documents, not friendly conversation. After all, isn't that the point of language -- to express an idea and have it understood correctly?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

All right, I bit. Your food diary is empty! So what are you hiding? Never mind, I was curious but your strong claims followed by an empty diary seems odd.

Now I am dying. :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    It's not "supposed" hypocrisy. If you say "I do not eat processed foods!" and then run down a list of the processed foods you eat, you are without question being a hypocrite.

"From what you've seen" is not all there is to see. I've seen plenty of the opposite. I've seen people practicing a diet of moderation be told to enjoy the cancer they're going to get.

I've seen people who claim that people should be kind and not mock others call people obtuse and not very bright.

Mostly what I've seen is lots of people like an argument, they just get mad when they lose.

Or the issue could just be in the definition of "processed". Some may consider that to refer to a certain level of refinement or to include unnatural additives, preservatives, etc. Others could be more literal and consider any type of washing or cooking to equal process.

So, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the "you're a hypocrite" bandwagon until you're really sure that you're definitions and assumptions are the same.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

If the thread was about Paleo bashing, it would be fine. But, it's about someone asking more about the diet. Totally fair to offer both benefits and criticisms. However, I don't think it's asking too much to do so in a respectful manner -- leave out the mocking, ridicule and baseless bashing. Is that really too much to ask?