What do you say to yourself during a hard workout?

Options
123457»

Replies

• dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    "Most people never run far enough into their first wind to find out if they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you."

"90% of running is mental and the rest is in your head"

"the difference between a mile and a marathon is like the difference between burning your fingers on a match and being slowly roasted over hot coals."

"your legs are not giving out, your head is giving up. Keep running."

"at first glance, it may appear too hard. look again. always look again."

"be strong- you never know who you are inspiring"

"the body does not want you to do this. As you run it tells you to stop but you must be strong. You always go to far for your body. You must handle the pain wtih strategy. It is not age, it is not diet, it is the will to succeed"
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I quote Jillian Michael's a lot...
    "When it starts to get uncomfortable, that's when it counts the most, that's when change happens."
    "You want results? They're not coming for free."
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body."
    "Your legs are not giving out, your head is giving up, keep going"
  • SammiFromMiami18
    Options
    Wow I really liked that haha, that's pretty damn motivational right there.
  • yesdnil1990
    Options
    Bellies gonna get ya, bellies gonna get ya. BELLY BELLY BELLY.

Does the job.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Bicyling:

Definitely like to have that "rabbit" to chase.

Sometimes, if the rabbit is too fast, that trick backfires and I find myself 20 miles from my car and having burned all my matches. If that happens I tell myself that is the miles you ride after you're exhausted that really give you the best gains.

My bike computer displays my average speed. After the half way point of my ride, I try to ride faster than that for the last half.

I remember how bad it feels to get dropped from a group ride.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I usually have a little voice saying I'm weak for struggling to lift the weight and then I have to prove that little voice wrong. lol
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    "I want this, I don't care what it takes or how much it sucks"

"I WILL do this!"
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    "The first 5 minutes always suck--it'll get better" and "I can do this for 2 more minutes. I can stand anything for 2 minutes." Or I picture myself horseback riding and think how I don't want to be huffing and out of breath, so I better put the effort in now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cardio: just make it to 5 minutes-
    @ 5 minute> just make it to 10 minutes
    @ 10 min > just make it to 15 min
    @ 15 min > well fu*k you are already have way there might as well go to 30
    @ 30 min- well that's only 15 from 45- might as well do 45
    @ 45 min- fu*k this *kitten* I hate cardio.

wipes down machine and goes home.

lifting.
    pull the weight you ****ing pansy assmothe****er.
    Or breath- just breath and push the earth away from you and the weight will move.
    It's more pep talk than motivation- I don't need to motivate myself- just get mind ready and come correct.

I actual need to talk myself through stair master workouts.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Whether I do it or don't do it, i'll still be in bed at the same time tonight relaxing. So I might as well do it. Mind over matter
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of self-talk during my workouts especially when they start to get tough. :grumble: Now that I am exercising more I realize how powerful these positive messages to myself really are! :happy:

During my runs, it is mainly about how athletes don't stop, they press on through the pain. Othertimes I pretend I am a train - "Choo, Choo" with wheels instead of legs...I know it sounds silly but is ALSO makes me smile which also helps me keep going too :laugh:
    Other times, I pick some words to say like a mantra like "Freedom, happiness, focus, confidence".

During calistenics and circuit training I tend to count more. While in yoga, I focus more on breathing with "inhale, exhale".

Whether it is counting, chanting, or saying "you can do this" over and over again what do YOU say so you will keep going?

Oh my giddy aunt, what is this world coming to?

What about when you dont do it?.....
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    "bish you can do this" "bish shut your lazy self up and just do it"

LOL LOL!!!

Here is a fitspo quote that I love:

"The different between your body this week and next week is what you do for the next seven days to achieve your goals."

I printed it out and posted it in my workout area. I look at it for inspiration and tell myself if I challenge my body and be consistent it will change. That usually works...

Other times though I just yell...either to myself or at that instructor on the workout dvd. Good thing I workout at home. lol
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    "Just a bit further..." "You can make it to that point and stop if you need to..." (I usually don't stop)

While running, I pick up Dori's tune from Finding Nemo, "Just keep running, just keep running..."
  • apple_22over7
    Options
    "It's almost over.. it's almost over.. it's almost over..."

Even if I'm only 5mins into a long 10+ mile run on a Sunday, I still tell myself it's almost over. The really strange thing is that I still believe it..
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing that can be repeated in polite company
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    stop being a *****...
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    "Embrace the pain. Learn to love it"

I'm training for a 100km ultramarathon so I really do have to learn to accept the pain and discomfort.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    DONT QUIT P*SSY!!!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Keep breathing. That's the key: breathe. Ughh.