1000 calorie deficit NOT for people with healthy BMI

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I did think it might be that alright, but the calculator doesn't ask anything about activity, just height, weight, sex and age :/

nope, that's your actual BMR, and it's fine to eat more than your BMR, remember, BMR isn't maintenance, it's about 60 to 75% of maintenance, so you can (and will) still lose weight eating your BMR.

NOW, with a BMI of 32, chances are you CAN have a larger deficit than 1 lb per week, but that's a guess based on 1 very flawed piece of data. I wouldn't be able to give you any more than that without really getting to know you and your statistics.

FYI, the original poster of this, that's me, I changed usernames about 2 years ago.

-Banks
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for replying :)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Great thread (as always!!).

The one thought that always pops in my head when I read these types of posts is that the people who truly need to read and heed by them will probably roll their eyes and disregard it. It sucks that we as a society want results as fast as possible. Some of the people on this site (you and ladyhawk immediately come to mind) have the patience of saints though. I admire how diplomatic your responses are when all I want to do is scream! :laugh:

Thanks for this thread!!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Hey Boss!

As this thread has been resurrected can I ask you a question? I used the sites you recommended on page 2/3, can't remember which. They gave me a maintenance of 2050 cals (I put that I am active as I cycle to/from work every day) and the other gave me a BMI of 23.4.

My BMI previously was over 25 and I have always thought of myself as in the overweight bracket - highest weight was 172lbs, about 18 months ago.

Aiming to lose 0.5 - 1lb per week, MFP has given me a calorie goal of 1200 plus my exercise calories (I usually eat 80-09%% of those back). I have a Polar HRM so I am now a bit more confident in what I am logging as my exercise calories.

Exercise-wise, I cycle to/from work every day, I horse-ride once a week and I do some workout DVDs (Shred and soon-to-be TurboFire). I don't currently have a gym membership so I do not have access to large amounts of weights for strength training... Me-wise, I am 5ft 6, female, and currently at 145lbs.

Given the "new" numbers above, what should I realistically be aiming to consume, calorie-wise, so that I can continue to shift the flabby-fluffy body fat, yet "tone" up and lose inches??

Many thanks for your help!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Hey Boss!

As this thread has been resurrected can I ask you a question? I used the sites you recommended on page 2/3, can't remember which. They gave me a maintenance of 2050 cals (I put that I am active as I cycle to/from work every day) and the other gave me a BMI of 23.4.

My BMI previously was over 25 and I have always thought of myself as in the overweight bracket - highest weight was 172lbs, about 18 months ago.

Aiming to lose 0.5 - 1lb per week, MFP has given me a calorie goal of 1200 plus my exercise calories (I usually eat 80-09%% of those back). I have a Polar HRM so I am now a bit more confident in what I am logging as my exercise calories.

Exercise-wise, I cycle to/from work every day, I horse-ride once a week and I do some workout DVDs (Shred and soon-to-be TurboFire). I don't currently have a gym membership so I do not have access to large amounts of weights for strength training... Me-wise, I am 5ft 6, female, and currently at 145lbs.

Given the "new" numbers above, what should I realistically be aiming to consume, calorie-wise, so that I can continue to shift the flabby-fluffy body fat, yet "tone" up and lose inches??

Many thanks for your help!

something doesn't jive. if your maintenance is 2050 and you're looking to lose a maximum of 1 lb per week, your goal should be 1550, not 1200. check your MFP settings, make sure all your numbers are right (age, height, weight, activity level...etc.) Cuz 1200 seems a bit low for someone like you.
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Very interesting reading all of this!
    My BMI is a low 20.6 - as I am 139 pounds and 5'9.. BUT i used to be only 126pounds a couple of years ago or even less.
    I currently am on the jobhunt, so I don't lose many calories in my every day life, apart from when I exercise or go out at weekends.
    Since last June, I have been maintaining my calorie consumption to be between 1200-1400 a day, and most days I do about 20 minutes of weight training, 10 minutes of sit ups, and usually 10 minutes of cardio.
    Between June and now, I have seen NO significant weight loss, other than my stomach being more toned. My arms are still as 'flabby' and my legs are still as chunky.
    I have only lost 1 pound, but I think that is more due to the exercise than the calorie deficit. According to this site, my calorie deficit is 640 as I am inactive, so surely if that is the case I would've lost more than 1 pound over all of these months?
    Yet as you say, I gain weight more easily now - but I never seem to go much further than 1600 calories EVER.. It's almost like my body is now used to this amount of calories and is processing it normally, but surely I cannot go any lower than 1200 because as you say, my BMI is very healthy so therefore I don't need to reject as many calories.
    Does anyone have a clue what I need to do or what is going wrong? I've tried to hard to lose weight and nothing is happening so I feel like giving up all the time!!

(P.s.. people may be wondering why I want to lose weight when my BMI is healthy and i am not overweight - I used to do catalogue modelling and gained weight in the past 2/3 years so now I am a UK size 10-12 instead of a UK size 8, and I really want to go back to an 8 as I was confident back then)
  • Lanfear
    Options

something doesn't jive. if your maintenance is 2050 and you're looking to lose a maximum of 1 lb per week, your goal should be 1550, not 1200. check your MFP settings, make sure all your numbers are right (age, height, weight, activity level...etc.) Cuz 1200 seems a bit low for someone like you.

Hmmm. I don't know then. I've just gone back to my home page, goals, and clicked "change goals". Going with MFP guided, I've input all my info again - height, age, weight, activity level. I have selected "sedentary" as I have a desk job and basically sit on my backside for 6+ hours a day, so my exercise is not included in the defifict that MFP gives me. It has again come out as a 1200 calorie goal per day for a 0.5-1lb loss a week.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong somewhere but I can't see what...??
  • Sheshe333
    Sheshe333 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We have the same workout - I run around 5 miles at least 3 times per week. I started out with boot camp and upgraded to Women's Crossfit...same exercise, just more intense. I havn't really lost anything since starting this site (about 3 weeks) but I have lost lots of inches. I pulled out my records from last year at this time, I was 4 lbs. less, but bigger in inches.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

Hmmm. I don't know then. I've just gone back to my home page, goals, and clicked "change goals". Going with MFP guided, I've input all my info again - height, age, weight, activity level. I have selected "sedentary" as I have a desk job and basically sit on my backside for 6+ hours a day, so my exercise is not included in the defifict that MFP gives me. It has again come out as a 1200 calorie goal per day for a 0.5-1lb loss a week.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong somewhere but I can't see what...??

With the info you gave (38 yo, 145 lbs, 5'6") I checked MFP:

BMR = 1339

Sedentary = 1690 Maintenance, 1/2 lb/week = Daily goal of 1440
    Active = 1960 Maintenance, 1/2 lb/week = Daily goal of 1610

Now if you are at sedentary and choose 1 lb per week, then yes, MFP would give 1200, because it would come out to 1190 and it won't let you go that low. But IMO, you are NOT at a stage where 1 lb/week is realistic. A decent goal weight for you would be about 120-160, with 140 as a median. So, even if you're very small-boned and shooting for the lower end of that, you only have maybe 20 lbs to lose. Which would mean that a much more healthy, realistic goal would be 1/2 lb per week. Since you're already well within a healthy weight range, you should probably be focusing more on strength training and toning. That's my .02, anyway.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

With the info you gave (41 yo, 145 lbs, 5'6") I checked MFP:

BMR = 1339

Sedentary = 1670 Maintenance, 1/2 lb/week = Daily goal of 1420
    Active = 1940 Maintenance, 1/2 lb/week = Daily goal of 1690

Now if you are at sedentary and choose 1 lb per week, then yes, MFP would give 1200, because it would come out to 1170 and it won't let you go that low. But IMO, you are NOT at a stage where 1 lb/week is realistic. A decent goal weight for you would be about 120-160, with 140 as a median. So, even if you're very small-boned and shooting for the lower end of that, you only have maybe 20 lbs to lose. Which would mean that a much more healthy, realistic goal would be 1/2 lb per week. Since you're already well within a healthy weight range, you should probably be focusing more on strength training and toning. That's my .02, anyway.

mouth ... words... taken...

I imagine that other site was including some of your daily exercise as part of your lifestyle.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    thanks,for posting. Definitely some "food" for though.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

With the info you gave (41 yo, 145 lbs, 5'6") I checked MFP:

BMR = 1339

Sedentary = 1670 Maintenance, 1/2 lb/week = Daily goal of 1420
    Active = 1940 Maintenance, 1/2 lb/week = Daily goal of 1690

Now if you are at sedentary and choose 1 lb per week, then yes, MFP would give 1200, because it would come out to 1170 and it won't let you go that low. But IMO, you are NOT at a stage where 1 lb/week is realistic. A decent goal weight for you would be about 120-160, with 140 as a median. So, even if you're very small-boned and shooting for the lower end of that, you only have maybe 20 lbs to lose. Which would mean that a much more healthy, realistic goal would be 1/2 lb per week. Since you're already well within a healthy weight range, you should probably be focusing more on strength training and toning. That's my .02, anyway.

mouth ... words... taken...

I imagine that other site was including some of your daily exercise as part of your lifestyle.

Hehehe. Figured I might save ya some time. :tongue:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Dang double post
  • Lanfear
    Options
    Sorry I don't know how to do multiple quotes on this site, but thanks very much to both SHBoss and ladyhawk!! LOL only thing is I'm not 41 I'm 38, not that I imagine that makes a major difference to things!! :smile:

The reason I put "sedentary" is because the descriptions of lifestyles that MFP gives don't really fit and "sedentary" is closest. I didn't choose the "active" choice because I don't spend even a 1/3 of my day on my feet - I sit at a computer all day...

I think the think is that I don't want to lose "weight" per se, I want to lose "fat". The main problem with this is that I don't have access to weights to do any major strength training so I'm not really sure what I should be looking to do/how to do it. All the gyms round here are membership only and I really don't want to be paying £40 plus a month just for weights...
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Sorry I don't know how to do multiple quotes on this site, but thanks very much to both SHBoss and ladyhawk!! LOL only thing is I'm not 41 I'm 38, not that I imagine that makes a major difference to things!! :smile:

The reason I put "sedentary" is because the descriptions of lifestyles that MFP gives don't really fit and "sedentary" is closest. I didn't choose the "active" choice because I don't spend even a 1/3 of my day on my feet - I sit at a computer all day...

I think the think is that I don't want to lose "weight" per se, I want to lose "fat". The main problem with this is that I don't have access to weights to do any major strength training so I'm not really sure what I should be looking to do/how to do it. All the gyms round here are membership only and I really don't want to be paying £40 plus a month just for weights...

lol I know, I messed it up the first time and realized it and went back and fixed it (and recalculated based on 38).

The strength training is definitely going to be what will help you convert that last bit to muscle. I would really recommend getting some weights. It would be a great long term investment - as you should strength train pretty much forever now. :laugh: Really though, as we women get older, we lose a ridiculous amount of muscle each year. So strength training is the BEST thing we can do to control our weight and maintain bone density and muscle mass, IMO. You don't need a full gym set - just a few pieces could do what you need. A few dumbbells and maybe a bar with a small set of free weights (and even that is optional). For the rest you can use body weight exercises (squats, pushups, etc). Then just look online for some good instructions on form.

I'm sure Banks (Boss) could give you more info/advice on the strength training than I could, though.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Sure, body weight is always a great way to train if you don't have equipment. The squats and push-ups are good, I also recommend 2 things, both combined will cost you less than 50 dollars. 1, get some kind of pull up bar and mount it somewhere, pull up stuff is awesome for the upper body, even if you can't do a full pull-up (yet), you can do modified ones with a chair and such, and the other thing is to get is a good set of resistance bands, not the cheap 1 band sets, but the better, 3 band sets. You can do about 10 great resistance exercises with these. For the cost, they are like a small gym. If you use them right, you can increase the resistance and become stronger with them easier than just using body weight alone.

Good body weight routines are as follows:

wide stance squats - gluts, core, and Hami's
    narrow stance squats - gluts, core, and quads
    chair dips - triceps, lats, some traps
    wide stance push ups - pectorals, biceps, core
    narrow stance (diamond) push-ups - triceps, deltoids
    military push-ups - mostly delts and triceps, and core
    side lunges - hamstrings, core, calf, some quad
    walking lunges - gluts, quads, hamstrings, calf, core
    squat thrust - everything basically
    box jump, or step jump - calf, core, some thigh and glut
    and all the core work (reverse crunch, plank, side plank, bicycle crunch...etc)

and last but not least, all the pull-up work I.E.
    close grip pull-ups
    wide grip pull-ups
    reverse close grip pull-ups
    reverse wide grip pull-ups

these will all work various parts of the shoulders and arms, latissimus, deltoids, trapezius, rhomboids, biceps, triceps.

generally, these exercises will give you a full body workout without the use of any or little outside resistance. And for very little cash, you get a workout similar to any gym you could imagine. I incorporate many of these into my boot camp routines and let me tell you, they can be awesome! There are ways to make them all easier and/or harder as you progress too.

Later you can add High Intensity cardio work to work your anaerobic system as well, like jump squats, squat thrusts, 5 yard sprints, backwards sprints, prone crawls, squat jacks...etc.

In other words, a gym makes things a little more convenient, but not better.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I wouldn't read these threads, I only seem to be getting confused whereas before I wasn't!

I've lost nearly 6kg so far and am aiming to lose abonother 3/4kg.
    I went from a BMI of just over 26, I'm just over 24 now and my aim is 23, bang slap in the middle. Whatever happens after that, I haven't decided on yet :wink:

MFP gives me 1230 cals a day. I do some walking daily which adds another 100/200/300 cals, which I use up.
    Online calculators state that my BMR is 1441.

I'm still losing weight, but at a snail's pace. Is MFP wrong by giving me 1230? Should I go up? (I'd be scared to)
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Can anybody help me with my problem? I just posted on the last page a huge paragraph but nobody has replied to me yet haha!! :(
  • Lanfear
    Options
    Very interesting reading all of this!
    My BMI is a low 20.6 - as I am 139 pounds and 5'9.. BUT i used to be only 126pounds a couple of years ago or even less.
    I currently am on the jobhunt, so I don't lose many calories in my every day life, apart from when I exercise or go out at weekends.
    Since last June, I have been maintaining my calorie consumption to be between 1200-1400 a day, and most days I do about 20 minutes of weight training, 10 minutes of sit ups, and usually 10 minutes of cardio.
    Between June and now, I have seen NO significant weight loss, other than my stomach being more toned. My arms are still as 'flabby' and my legs are still as chunky.
    I have only lost 1 pound, but I think that is more due to the exercise than the calorie deficit. According to this site, my calorie deficit is 640 as I am inactive, so surely if that is the case I would've lost more than 1 pound over all of these months?
    Yet as you say, I gain weight more easily now - but I never seem to go much further than 1600 calories EVER.. It's almost like my body is now used to this amount of calories and is processing it normally, but surely I cannot go any lower than 1200 because as you say, my BMI is very healthy so therefore I don't need to reject as many calories.
    Does anyone have a clue what I need to do or what is going wrong? I've tried to hard to lose weight and nothing is happening so I feel like giving up all the time!!

(P.s.. people may be wondering why I want to lose weight when my BMI is healthy and i am not overweight - I used to do catalogue modelling and gained weight in the past 2/3 years so now I am a UK size 10-12 instead of a UK size 8, and I really want to go back to an 8 as I was confident back then)

Bumping for you :) Although it sounds to me like you'd be underweight at 5ft 9 and a UK dress size 8, but I'm not an expert!!!
  • Lanfear
    Options
    That's workout list is fantastic, thank you :smile: Can I just add that I flippin HATE squat thrusts with a vengeance??! and thanks to Ladyhawk for her last comment as well.

Last question and then I'll leave you peace LOL. Given that I am currently 145lbs, and am aiming for about 135-140lbs, what would be a good daily calorie goal? I am starting to suspect that the 1200 allocated is too low, although I do add 300-350 exercise calories to that most days. Should I re-set it manually, as I've done it 2/3 times now and MFP always comes out with 1200??