PLANT STRONG - ANYONE?

Options
123457»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

100g of chicken = 21 grams of protein.
    100g of kidney beans = 9 grams of protein.
    100g of broccoli = 2.8 grams of protein.

Even for being relatively high in protein for a non-starchy vegetable, you will be hard pressed to meet your protein requirements through those types of sources alone. More than 5 heads of broccoli later, and I am still not getting to my daily requirement. I applaud your enthusiasm, but based on this and previous comments it seems that micro-nutrients seem to be taking precedence over macros when it comes to avoiding "mal-nutrition". Both are important.

Stats, damn stats! :laugh:

As many people here are concerned about calorie intakes would you, just out of interest, like to see a comparison of protein "per 100 calories" ?

100 Calories of Broccoli, frozen, chopped boiled = 11.1 grams of protein
    100 Calories of Kale, cooked = 6.8 grams of protein
    100 Calories Beef Short Loin, Porterhouse Steak, separable lean & fat, 1/8 “ fat, broiled = 8.0 grams of protein
    100 Calories Beef Short Loin, Porterhouse Steak, separable lean & fat, 1/4 “ fat, broiled = 6.5 grams of protein

Source: Data was obtained from Nutritionist Pro Nutritional Analysis Software, Version 4.7, Axxya Systems , Stafford TX, 2012.
    Yeah, it can be confusing. 100 calories of flank is 15g's and weights 2 oz. 6 oz is close to 45g's and still less than half the weight of broccoli, mind you I love lots of broccoli with my steak. Now if you would have picked fresh cooked broccoli there would have only been 6.6 g's of protein in that 100 cals according the the USDA.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Because of these minerals Himalayan pink salt can:

Create an electrolyte Balance
    Increases hydration
    Regulate water content both inside and outside of cells
    Balance pH (alkaline/acidity) and help to reduce acid reflux
    Prevent muscle cramping
    Aid in proper metabolism functioning
    Strengthen bones
    Lower blood pressure
    Help the intestines absorb nutrients
    Prevent goiters
    Improve circulation
    Dissolve and eliminate sediment to remove toxins
    It is even said to support libido, reduce the signs of aging, and detoxify the body from heavy metals.

Care to show us some scientific support for these claims Some of them are quite outrageous

These aren't actually outrageous at all.

All these benefits come from the sodium that's in it. What I'd imagine is probably outrageous will be the price - I can get all this from sea, rock or table salt.

Oh, actually, the lowering blood pressure one sounds questionable - low sodium levels in the body can cause low blood pressure so not sure how salt can do that.

So overall, the claims seem sound, just maybe a bit pointless.

:huh: The supposed health benefits are from the other minerals in the pink salt - not the sodium. To benefit from these other minerals would require one to eat a lot of the sodium as well. This is not a "magic" salt but I would consider soaking in a nice warm tub of it. To each their own!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Because of these minerals Himalayan pink salt can:

Create an electrolyte Balance
    Increases hydration
    Regulate water content both inside and outside of cells
    Balance pH (alkaline/acidity) and help to reduce acid reflux
    Prevent muscle cramping
    Aid in proper metabolism functioning
    Strengthen bones
    Lower blood pressure
    Help the intestines absorb nutrients
    Prevent goiters
    Improve circulation
    Dissolve and eliminate sediment to remove toxins
    It is even said to support libido, reduce the signs of aging, and detoxify the body from heavy metals.

Care to show us some scientific support for these claims Some of them are quite outrageous

All these benefits come from the sodium that's in it. What I'd imagine is probably outrageous will be the price - I can get all this from sea, rock or table salt.

Oh, actually, the lowering blood pressure one sounds questionable - low sodium levels in the body can cause low blood pressure so not sure how salt can do that.

:huh: The supposed health benefits are from the other minerals in the pink salt - not the sodium. To benefit from these other minerals would require one to eat a lot of the sodium as well. This is not a "magic" salt but I would consider soaking in a nice warm tub of it. To each their own!

Not sure what your point is?

In am not in favour of ridiculously overpriced salt that has the same 'health benefits' as making sure your sodium levels are in the healthy range.

Why do you think sodium is a 'bad' micro?!? All the health benefits listed come from the sodium (not other minerals) - the only thing I'd take issue with is the 'lowering' of blood pressure - sodium 'regulates' not lowers
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Till they find a plant that tastes like BACON, I'm eatin' meat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow's Plant Strong lunch will be Spaghetti Marinara!!!

My awesome plant-strong sauce:

1 large can, diced tomatoes
    1 small can tomato paste
    1/2 head minced garlic or to taste
    fresh basil - to taste
    oregano - to taste
    pepper
    Himalayan salt
    thyme
    2 tbsp agave
    1/2 yellow onion

Simmer for a little bit, then serve 1 cup of sauce over 3 cups of spaghetti squash : 200 calories on the nose...and you'll be stuffed to the gills.
    Sauce can also be served over whole wheat pasta. Shoot, serve it on whatever!!! 1 Cup = 107 calories.

I'm confused about how you think canned vegetables are not processed? I cannot have any added sugar (processed white sugar makes me very ill) and I have the hardest time finding canned tomatoes that are not loaded with added sugar. Please share the brand if you have, indeed, found canned tomatoes and tomato paste that has no added sugar.

the himalayan salt negates the effects of the processed food….aka magic salt
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Not sure what your point is?

In am not in favour of ridiculously overpriced salt that has the same 'health benefits' as making sure your sodium levels are in the healthy range.
    Why do you think sodium is a 'bad' micro?!? All the health benefits listed come from the sodium (not other minerals) - the only thing I'd take issue with is the 'lowering' of blood pressure - sodium 'regulates' not lowers

1st, where did I say sodium is a "bad" micro? 2nd, too much sodium is not good for someone with high blood pressure/hypertension.

In addition, most websites I've seen about this "magic" salt is because of the "84 additional" minerals in the salt - not the sodium - that makes it oh so fantastic.

Lastly,

tumblr_n0o05mHrBi1t4o62mo1_500.gif
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

100g of chicken = 21 grams of protein.
    100g of kidney beans = 9 grams of protein.
    100g of broccoli = 2.8 grams of protein.

Even for being relatively high in protein for a non-starchy vegetable, you will be hard pressed to meet your protein requirements through those types of sources alone. More than 5 heads of broccoli later, and I am still not getting to my daily requirement. I applaud your enthusiasm, but based on this and previous comments it seems that micro-nutrients seem to be taking precedence over macros when it comes to avoiding "mal-nutrition". Both are important.

Stats, damn stats! :laugh:

As many people here are concerned about calorie intakes would you, just out of interest, like to see a comparison of protein "per 100 calories" ?

100 Calories of Broccoli, frozen, chopped boiled = 11.1 grams of protein
    100 Calories of Kale, cooked = 6.8 grams of protein
    100 Calories Beef Short Loin, Porterhouse Steak, separable lean & fat, 1/8 “ fat, broiled = 8.0 grams of protein
    100 Calories Beef Short Loin, Porterhouse Steak, separable lean & fat, 1/4 “ fat, broiled = 6.5 grams of protein

Source: Data was obtained from Nutritionist Pro Nutritional Analysis Software, Version 4.7, Axxya Systems , Stafford TX, 2012.

I understand your point. Mine was in terms of the volume of food needed to be consumed in order to hit certain protein amounts. I know meat is more calorie dense, and calorie for calorie the protein requirements are more similar, but let's take an extreme person choosing to get all of their protein from broccoli as illustration. It's going to be very difficult to physically consume enough broccoli to hit your protein requirements. Maybe not, but I sure as heck wouldn't be able to eat that much broccoli per day without making myself sick.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    100 calories of frozen broccoli is around 260gms, I would be sick if I got anywhere near that :|
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Packaged breakfast cereal is not processed??? Here are the ingredients it's totally processed and put into a box in a factory :

Whole Grain Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Isolated Soy Protein, Salt, Whole Grain Barley Flour, Malt Extract, Dried Yeast.