How do people stay motivated to go to the gym

Options
I am new here and a male and bought a gym membership to planet fitness but I have only used it a handful of times. How does everyone stay motivated to go to the gym routinely? My problem is after a full days of work I leave the office and then get home and really do not feel like working out. I tried going on my lunch hour during work by the time I walk there, get changed I have lost 15 minutes of workout time then change back to work clothes and walk back to the office. I feel I am too rushed. When I finally do get to the gym, I am there for like 2 hours or more. My problem is just trying to get there. Anyone struggle with this?

Thanks
Mike

Replies

• 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If I had the money to pay for a gym membership, that would be all the motivation I'd need. I wouldn't be able to pay for something and not use it. I hate throwing money away.
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I go straight from the office -- no stopping at home! Pack your gym bag in the morning and you'll already be in the right frame of mind.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I do things that I enjoy, so 'motivation' is not an issue.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    People do what they want to do...What's important to them. And you just can't fake it for long.

When you're motivated toward a goal, you will be drawn to things that help you get there. So when fitness or weight loss are sufficiently strong goals for you, going to the gym will feel like a treat.
  • hollye7916
    Options
    I go straight from the office -- no stopping at home! Pack your gym bag in the morning and you'll already be in the right frame of mind.

This! If I go home, I find excuses. I go straight from work to the gym!! Also, find gym partners!! It doesn't have to be someone that you do the same workouts with (but that can be fun too), just someone that will go with you, meet you there and hold you accountable!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go first thing in the morning. that way it's already done.

my tip is to do your best to eliminate all the excuses. can't go during lunch or after work? go in the morning. have trouble getting up and getting everything ready? pack your gym bag the night before. set up the coffee pot and make your breakfast and lunch before bed.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going before work. I prefer to get my workout done then.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Because I never want to be fat again.
  • meb74
    meb74 Posts: 18
    Options
    I sometimes have the problem of finding the time during the day. About a month ago I had gone to the gym like 2 or 3 times in a week. I had noticed a girl that was about the same size as me and I couldn't believe how hard she could workout. I got out of breath just watching her. I went up to her the third day that I was there and commented her on her workout. It was like we instantly became friends. I needed someone to be like a gym buddy with me. Also, on the days she is not there, I do something fun. For example, I love zumba. On days that I cannot get to the gym I do zumba fitness world party on my wii. I hope this helps.
  • gameshowfan91
    Options
    Try to tell your mind that you'll workout at (insert time here)am/pm; that way, your body is ready for that. That helps me. Working out in morning is also a good idea.
  • strollyneaux
    strollyneaux Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My job is so stressful that I cant do it after work, so I do it before work. I wake up early in the morning and have my morning workout. Since its the first thing I do in the day, I can donate my full energy to it.

But what also keeps me motivated is I have a security and determination that I will become more healthier. And since our thoughts produces our realities; and I believe I am going to make myself healthier- it happens more often than it dont.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The fact that I'm a cheapskate makes me not want to waste my money by not going. Also, I pretty much love doing weights. The cardio machines are boring as hell - so most of my cardio work is done outdoors where it's enjoyable (Southern California - year-round outdoor activities), but my membership is pretty much for the weights/equipment. If you like what you're going there for, it's easy to stay motivated. If you hate it, you aren't going to keep it up for long. So make sure that what you are doing there is fun for you and/or feels like it's worthwhile.

I agree with the posters who say you should go directly from work to the gym. The times that I've gone home first I've always ended up making excuses and not going.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I get up early to work out. I get it done 100% of the time if I do it first. If I wait (like today) there is only a 25'ish % chance it will happen. I didn't do it today.

My motivation is that staying the same is more miserable than getting up early and exercising.

At some point the scale tips for everyone and then it is easier to figure it out. The work is still hard but mental energy is spent on doing, not figuring out how.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I pack a gym bag the day before using an iPhone reminder list to avoid forgetting items. I do Les Mills classes at the gym. For example we doing an intense routine to "Heaven's on Fire" in BodyStep that I can't get out of my head. I'll mow people down on my way out of work to get to the gym and do these freakin things!! :laugh:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Same here. Going to the gym shouldn't be something you endure but something you look forward to, OP.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Same here. Going to the gym shouldn't be something you endure but something you look forward to, OP.
    Exactly...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated. It gets you through your first week, maybe your first month. That's it.

If your goal is to be fit, going to the gym is your job. Treat it as such. Do you need to be motivated to go work? Of course not. You like getting paid so you go every day. If you like being in shape, going to the gym will be the same way.
  • pem1228
    pem1228 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I remind myself how good I feel afterwards PLUS it helps that I enjoy yoga, the elliptical and zumba classes.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i want to eat my ice cream, chocolates and cake and still lose weight and fats
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated. It gets you through your first week, maybe your first month. That's it.

If your goal is to be fit, going to the gym is your job. Treat it as such. Do you need to be motivated to go work? Of course not. You like getting paid so you go every day. If you like being in shape, going to the gym will be the same way.

I agree! And that's the advice I give people all the time. Motivation will get you through a workout. DEDICATION is what you need. You're going to have days, no matter what you do, or how much you enjoy it, where everything sucks, i'm tired, i'm sore, i'm sick, i'm bruised, had a long day, or whatever the case is...., those days are going to happen, Guaranteed!!!