How do people stay motivated to go to the gym

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    When I worked full time I used to take my gym stuff in the car and go straight from work, that way I had no excuse to stay home once I got comfortable. If I was doing a class then I did have to go out as they usually start around 7, but classes are more fun in a way, so I'd be less likely to miss one.

Now I have children and work part time, and the gym is my 'me' time so I can't get there fast enough lol. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and I still go!

What about trying some classes if you don't feel like the gym? Plenty of men do boxercise, spinning, kettlebells etc at my gym. You don't need to do Zumba or step aerobics :smile:

Also, don't feel you need to go for 2 hours. An hour is fine.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Workout before work! You'll feel better all day
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Who needs motivation; I am addicted to the endorphins...LOL
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What works for me is working towards "something" and that "something" serves as my motivation. Right now, I'm preparing for a mini triathlon at the end of the summer. Easy motivation to run, swim, and bike.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I just enjoy it.
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    what works for me is sticking to a schedule. I go to the gym on Tuesday, thursday and Saturday. it's like a standing appointment. Tuesday @ 6! Thursday @ 6! Saturday when I finish work. I don't have to think about it so there is no trying to talk myself out of it. it becomes automatic. it also helps to have a plan. I work shoulders and triceps on Tuesday, legs and chest on Thursday, and biceps, back and abs on Saturday, plus at least 30 minutes of cardio each visit. maybe you need to just start small so you are not overwhelmed. maybe aim for a 30 minute visit then gradually add more time. once you get into the habit of going you'll want to do more and more because once your endorphins kick in you'll feel great.
  • harmonanthony
    Options
    Eliminate all barriers. Here is what I do:

1. Go to the gym in the morning. It's hard but if it were easy everyone would be doing.

2. I iron my clothes for the entire week on Sunday and leave them in my work locker for the week.

3. I prepare / prep food for the entire week on Sunday evening.

Eliminate the excuses and the barriers and get moving. You also need to establish goals and follow up on them. If you can see progress being made that is motivation in and of it itself. My biggest struggle is diet so I eliminate the "i'll just grab a quick sandwich" thing by being prepared. YOU HAVE TO PREPARE and get moving, if you want your chrome to BLING you have to polish it cause it ain't gonna shine by itself!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    1 - Find a buddy.
    Having a gym buddy makes sure you go because you don't want to let the other down. Also, once you're there, it's great to have someone to push you and to talk with, which makes it more fun.

2 - Follow a schedule.
    Going 'when you have the time' isn't going to establish habits. Set a schedule and follow it. Same days same time every week. We go in the mornings. It's tough to get up at first, but it's never competing with any other priorities.

3 - Keep you rworkouts short.
    You don't need to go for an hour or two. We go 30-45 minutes. If you have more time or are feeling particularly motivated, stay a bit longer. If you don't do 25-30 mins and get out of there - at least you went.

4 - Follow a program and track your progress.
    There are plenty of programs out there. Do some reading and educate yourself. Knowing what you're doing and feeling confident that you're getting tangible results is very motivating.
  • juekes
    juekes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Same problem here - any excuse I can find to talk myself out of going! Over the past month, I've been going regularly 3 times a week, I'm now upping that to four, I find that once I get there I am fine and feel great when I finish. Whats worked for me - I've built up a routine that I enjoy with help from one of the gym instructors, I alternate my routines to include cardio one day, cardio & strength the next and then as a special treat, swimming followed by sauna & jacuzzi - this is my 'me' time, phone is off and nothing interrupts it! I go in the morning before work and once a week take a long lunch to fit in my swimming session and de-stress. My gym bag is ready the night before and my gym times are booked in my diary so I treat it like another part of my working day, it's also great to enter the number of calories you've burned on here and see the progress you're making - motivates you for the following week.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a husband and two kids. I work full time. I get off work, go home, cook dinner for my family, then go to the gym and work my *kitten* off. Yeah I'm losing time with my family, but it's a time for me to be selfish and get myself healthy. Plus seeing my progress in the mirror and how much happier I am now is all the motivation I need!!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I go straight from the office -- no stopping at home! Pack your gym bag in the morning and you'll already be in the right frame of mind.

I do this, too. I go to a gym that is closer to my job than my house and always have my gym clothes ready in my car. I tried working out before work but I'm not a morning person and couldn't make a habit of it.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym with my BF. We make fix dates when we're going, which helps me not skipping the gym.
    It's a great way to stay on track when you have the "social pressure" of not letting your workout buddy down.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. Every single time I don't feel like going. Every single time after, I fell GREAT and am GLAD I went.

So when I don't feel like going, I always remind myself how I'll feel after. When it's really bad, I promise myself I can leave after 10 minutes. After 25 years of working out, I've never taken myself up on that offer :tongue:

Also--never go home from work! I never make it back out when I do.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Agree with most other posts here. I CANNOT get up early to go to the gym. But I go straight after work.

Schedule it in! I have it on my work calendar, I also made a fun calendar at home and posted it next to my mirror so that I see it in the monrin gwhen I get ready. After my work out I check it off and its a good feeling to say "yes I did what I was suppose to do today, or I did more, or I did less so I have to make up that workout some other time in the week".

Eventually it just becomes routine. You have to schedule it in like its a mandatory appointment at first, but after a while it just becomes a habit.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's not motivation, it's discipline.
    This. You just have to make yourself do it.

I've found I can't relax after work and then try to go to the gym. I either have to go on my way home or just grab my stuff and leave once I get home. Once I start doing too many things around the house I'm less likely to go.
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Like so many people have said, go to the gym straight from work. Nothing makes me lose momentum more than going home after work. At this point, it's just part of my daily schedule to go to the gym or go for a run directly after work. It's expected. It would be weird for me not to do it. It really just has to become part of your routine.

There are certainly days when I get to the end of the work day and I think, "Ugh. I'm just too tired to work out today." On those days, I make myself go to the gym, change my clothes, and workout for at least 15 minutes. If I'm still too tired, then I will let my body have a rest day. But I think I've only stopped after 15 minutes once in the past 3 years. So, honestly, just making yourself go and start exercising is usually enough to overcome inertia.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated. It gets you through your first week, maybe your first month. That's it.

If your goal is to be fit, going to the gym is your job. Treat it as such. Do you need to be motivated to go work? Of course not. You like getting paid so you go every day. If you like being in shape, going to the gym will be the same way.

this.

emotions should not drive going to the gym.

You go to the gym because it's what you do- not because you love it or you don't want anything else. It's just what you do- so you go.

Not every workout will be amazing- some will suck- actually a lot will suck. A few will be amazing and most will be meh. But you have to learn to enjoy the 'suck' the grind if you will.

You go because today is Monday- and on Monday's I go to the gym.

that's how.
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not every workout will be amazing- some will suck- actually a lot will suck.

Um yeah. That's something everyone needs to keep in mind. Whether it's your third, tenth or hundredth time at the gym, you will still have days that suck for working out. You just go though. Don't think about it. Just do it.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You have to change your thinking!

The way I see it, exercise is a necessary part of my life now...just like getting enough sleep and taking showers are necessary items.

I have a plan set out for the week of what days I will do what things, and I keep those plans. It is a commitment to my present and future self.

Also it helps if you do different things each day! Change it up, find a few things that you enjoy and make a few friends at the gym to make the whole experience that much more enjoyable.

Also two hours seems a bit excessive! I usually shoot for a one hour session most days with the exception of Thursdays and Saturdays, those are 2 hour sessions.