If you won the lottery tomorrow...

Options
It's simple, if you won the lottery tomorrow, what would be your first purchase?

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    duh. hookers and blow.

:tongue:
  • _Loves2Dance_
    Options
    duh. hookers and blow.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just because I know you that is hilarious... folks he really isn't what his profile photo depicts, he is a smart (*kitten*) guy.. lol
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    a meal with my family to discuss our plans! wooo!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I would disappear.
  • _Loves2Dance_
    Options
    I have to say mine would be boring... First, I would invest most of it... Second, I would give some away to St Jude's... Thirdly, I would pick one really deserving, under the poverty line family and give some away to them and lastly I would buy myself a ranch style home on some land, horses and a ford 150 king ranch truck and a few vintage cars/trucks I have always wanted. Other than that, I wouldn't purchase much else.
  • _Loves2Dance_
    Options

That is a HUGE mansion, but def rustic in it's own sense. Very cool. Too big for my taste but I can def see the appeal to rent it out for a getaway or something.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    A claw machine...seriously...have you ever played one of those..freaking addicting....danged things are RIGGED I TELL YA!
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    duh. hookers and blow.

This and i would put her/them on retainer
  • _Loves2Dance_
    Options
    A claw machine...seriously...have you ever played one of those..freaking addicting....danged things are RIGGED I TELL YA!

hahahaha that would be AWESOME.... They are so rigged, oh only a quarter? That's so cheap.... 20 attempts later, you are out 5 dollars and nothing to show for it.... lol

And for some reason when you said claw machine I immediately thought of Richy Rich lol
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Build an art studio, a huge water slide for our pond, and a EVO!!! And I would definitely donate to charity, cancer research and help families pay for transportation and bills during treatments, and a local animal rescue that we love!
  • youtalkfunny
    Options
    I'd take my mom out to dinner.

Anywhere she wants to go.

If she wants French food, we'll go to Paris. If she wants Chinese....

Seriously, I spend HUGE chunks of my life daydreaming about winning $300M or so, and I don't even play the damn game! I'd have a party, all my closest friends and relatives, and I'd be handing out huge checks to everyone in attendance, and then I'd make an announcement: "Now, don't ever ask me for another dime!"

I read a thread on a gambling site once where a guy who $11M a long time ago, back when $11M was a huge win, handled it perfectly: he and his wife never told anyone. They bought a bigger house, but nothing extravagant; they got new cars, and took more vacations. Because he handled it this way, the win didn't tear his family apart the way it does so many others. If you win one of these things, EVERYONE YOU KNOW SUDDENLY FEELS *ENTITLED* TO SOME OF YOUR MONEY. Even you give them some, it's never enough, they always want more, and when you finally put your foot down to stop it, they resent you.
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options
    I'd go to Starbucks and get a latte. Those things are good but expensive!
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a handshake agreement with a good friend of mine: if either one of us wins the lottery we pay off each other's law school loans. After that, my mortgage and my parents mortgage. Then I would go straight to the nearest reputable plastic surgeon and get liposuction.
  • _Loves2Dance_
    Options

Seriously, I spend HUGE chunks of my life daydreaming about winning $300M or so, and I don't even play the damn game! I'd have a party, all my closest friends and relatives, and I'd be handing out huge checks to everyone in attendance, and then I'd make an announcement: "Now, don't ever ask me for another dime!"

I read a thread on a gambling site once where a guy who $11M a long time ago, back when $11M was a huge win, handled it perfectly: he and his wife never told anyone. They bought a bigger house, but nothing extravagant; they got new cars, and took more vacations. Because he handled it this way, the win didn't tear his family apart the way it does so many others. If you win one of these things, EVERYONE YOU KNOW SUDDENLY FEELS *ENTITLED* TO SOME OF YOUR MONEY. Even you give them some, it's never enough, they always want more, and when you finally put your foot down to stop it, they resent you.

Yeah, didn't they have an entire show dedicated to that? "How the Lottery Ruined My Life" lol

Too bad whether family or friend, I could care less what anyone else thinks they are entitled to. I would always help out those close to me in need, however, they started to get grabby with it?.... no thanks and resent me all they would like, they can march their happy *kitten* down to the local circle k and buy a damn ticket lol I will even give them the funds to do so....

Seriously, money doesn't solve a lot of things. It also solves a lot. It also can create other issues. It's all in the way people handle it. And no money does not buy happiness, BUT......

I am willing to bet you my lottery winnings (hehe see what I did there?), that it is way more comfortable crying in my king ranch ford truck than it is on a bicycle.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

you also should immediately setup a blind trust before claiming your winnings. sign the ticket in the name of the trust. redeem the winning ticket. this way you stay anonymous and you won't start getting a constant deluge of strangers calling you demanding donations and you'll also avoid the zillions of frivolous lawsuits from the ambulance-chasing lawyers who see lottery winners as easy marks.

anything that can be done to protect your anonymity on a large lottery win should be done.

if you've ever wondered why some winners wait a few months to come forward and claim a large lottery prize and then there is no media covering the awarding of the check... it's usually because the winner got some good financial advice immediately and went through the process of getting a blind trust setup for which they were the executor, before stepping forward to claim the prize in the name of the trust.
  • _Loves2Dance_
    Options
    ^^^ YUP.... ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, speak to 1) hire a lawyer (they will tell you all you need) 2) speak to an accountant/bank
  • skyeonfire
    skyeonfire Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In all honestly I would take off for a month or two after cashing out, getting a lawyer, bank etc. There are way to many people that think you owe them and being that I am in a small town it would probably make it worse.

Other than that, a home would be the first thing on my list!!
  • BigBadDougs
    BigBadDougs Posts: 155
    Options
    If I won the lottery I'd be dead by 40. But I'd go with a smile.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    First purchase for me would be a flat or a house with my boyfriend. We are slowly getting near to a deposit. Would then spend some money furnishing and decorating it the way we want it.

Would pay for my best friends wedding and for her to start the business I know she would like to start.

Would also get a season ticket to every Formula 1 race, plus GP2 and GP3.