Gym tells woman she's intimidating guests with 'toned body'

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Every chain brand of gyms has problems at locations but that doesn't describe the franchise as a whole.

The PF I go to is MOSTLY fit people and the PF trainer there is what one would call 'ripped'.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.entrepreneur.com/franchises/planetfitness/329333-0.html#

Every Planet Fitness location holds a pizza night for members once a month, as well as a bagel morning, and Tootsie Rolls are available at all times.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    if_i_said_you_had_a_nice_body_would_you_hold_it_bumper_sticker-rc1de2a764a2943a5952adc0503dda93e_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I just read an article today where PF said most gyms market to the 15% that is excited about fitness and they're marketing toward the other 85%. Basically, they want the unfit gym goer who rarely hits the gym but likes having a gym membership they occasionally use.

It's a business model that appears to be working. Granted, it sucks if you happen to be near a PF but are serious about the gym, or gasp! in good shape, because their dues are so low. But they can keep them so low because the bulk of their clientele are rarely there.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just read an article today where PF said most gyms market to the 15% that is excited about fitness and they're marketing toward the other 85%. Basically, they want the unfit gym goer who rarely hits the gym but likes having a gym membership they occasionally use.

It's a business model that appears to be working. Granted, it sucks if you happen to be near a PF but are serious about the gym, or gasp! in good shape, because their dues are so low. But they can keep them so low because the bulk of their clientele are rarely there.

All gyms do that.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    This seems like something you'd find on The Onion.:laugh:
    You know this is going to come true some day...
    http://youtu.be/hRoSJ1y1FSY
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    What would have happened if it was a fatty told to cover up or change clothes? Discrimination!

I've seen them enforce the dress code regardless of whether they were buff or not. Well, not seen them actually address someone, but I have seen some people who came in dressed to show off their assets and then the next time they came in, they were more covered up. I truly didn't realize that it was PF that was telling them to wear more clothes, I thought when they realized that there were just us middle aged folks working out there, that they didn't want THAT attention. LOL

There was one older woman who was a bit over weight who came in wearing a body leotard with nothing, and I mean nothing underneath. Her boobs were down to her waist. I guess they said something to her because the next time she came in she had on a t-shirt and shorts.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Why should she have to cover up? She's worked hard to get her toned body. Plus she's a paying customer.

Fack 'em.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I go to PF with my daughter, we went yesterday and their were 2 women there, one in her 20s, one looked in her 40s both had rock hard bodies and were running on the treadmill and doing weights. I didn't feel intimidated , I felt inspired. I might be out of shape, my daughter is in shape but not like they were, she didn't even notice them other than she wishes she could actually run on a treadmill like they were. I wish I looked like that, so seeing them in the gym more would motivate me to try harder to get myself to where they are.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna go ahead and add this to the list of things I don't need to worry about.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of "let's give everyone a medal so the losers don't feel too bad". Our society is going in the tank.

That's about it right there. I don't care if someone around me is super fit or not. This nation is full of wimps and morons. Makes me want to slap these people who teach everyone's a winner even when they're not upside the head.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Derek Van Reheenen is the director of the Athletic Studies Center at UC Berkeley.

He says, “In a lot of ways I think what Planet Fitness is doing is a positive thing. They obviously need to iron out some of these issues but sport in the U.S. is by nature is discriminatory too, it is selective and it is elite."

^^ from the article. Sport in the US is discriminatory???? PF is doing something good???? Wow.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This seems like something you'd find on The Onion.:laugh:
    You know this is going to come true some day...
    http://youtu.be/hRoSJ1y1FSY

tumblr_inline_mi8bu9UC5i1qz4rgp.gif
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I personally think that some issues in gyms need to be addressed... such as not wiping off sweat after using a bench or machine... and people that don't put their own weights back after using them.

I personally don't like people that grunt like conan the barbarain after each set... or fart while i'm breathing heavy... but poop happens.... =^.^=
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In other news,

Employee told not to hang framed diploma on office wall. Co-workers feel intimidated by graduates education.

:laugh:
  • BigBadDougs
    BigBadDougs Posts: 155
    Options
    According to the article, the girl in the photo isn't the girl who was told to cover up. It's Geovanna Borges.
    I'd take this with a pinch of salt.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of going to the gym to get in shape? No one who goes has to aspire to having as toned a body as she does, so they should just stick to minding their own business.

Also, she's freaking hot.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Derek Van Reheenen is the director of the Athletic Studies Center at UC Berkeley.

He says, “In a lot of ways I think what Planet Fitness is doing is a positive thing. They obviously need to iron out some of these issues but sport in the U.S. is by nature is discriminatory too, it is selective and it is elite."

^^ from the article. Sport in the US is discriminatory???? PF is doing something good???? Wow.

I think this quote was taken out of context. Planet Fitness's idea of making the gym accessible for everyone is admirable if that was their sole goal. How many people here were nervous or intimidated the first time they went to the weight section of their gym? That being said, the pizza parties and fit shaming makes it obvious that their model is not based around their customers' success but rather keeping their customers yo-yoing by giving some results but then setting them up to regress in order to keep them as paying members.
  • cyount830
    cyount830 Posts: 13
    Options
    My girlfriend was told to cover up more at the local YMCA because "its a judeo christian gym", and that "other people had complained". Never mind the half naked men in purposely cut shirts that loosely resemble tank tops.

Double standards
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    According to the article, the girl in the photo isn't the girl who was told to cover up. It's Geovanna Borges.
    I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

They mislabeled the photo. If you watch the video that woman is Tiffany, and the woman they interview in a car is Geovanna.