Gym tells woman she's intimidating guests with 'toned body'

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    How passive aggressive and *****y of the people in the gym to complain to the staff about it. They should have just made rude comments under their breath and rolled their eyes when they walked past her... maybe some exasperated sighing and pointing and snickering thrown in for good measure.
  • cheekymcgee
    cheekymcgee Posts: 140
    Options
    WTF?!? Fit shaming? At a gym? This is absurd!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't like the idea of telling people how they should look while they are working out or that they're too fit. Great for them. But I certainly understand the sentiment behind it. I know some of you say it motivates you, but it doesn't motivate others. I always felt uncomfortable around people in peak physical condition. It made me feel bad about myself. Instead of inspiring me, it demoralized me. I ended up just quitting and work out now at home and around the neighborhood and I feel much more comfortable and as a result, I'm doing better.Maybe when I get down to a weight that I don't feel ashamed of, I will join a gym again. Until then, it's just not a healthy place for me.

Also, those of you say it is promoting mediocrity, don't know what you are talking about. These people are working hard to be like you. I can tell you from personal experience, that when I was fit and running distance in high school and college, I didn't work as hard as I am now, trying to lose weight while being in piss poor conditioning.

So you removed yourself from the situation that was inspiring your insecurities rather than demand that the gym take action so you don't have to get out of your comfort zone. I think that is a much better way of going about it than what happened in this particular instance.

And you'll be back to comfortable in no time. Keep up the good work!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    OK so my gym has a dress code, sports bras and cut offs or a no -no. Not sure if Planet has that policy or not and granted they may have went about it wrong, but possibly if they do have the policy, maybe the employee was trying to offer a compliment while trying to tell her to put some clothes on?

I was thinking this, too. Maybe the employee was trying to inject some humor into an uncomfortable situation, trying to make the woman feel more at ease about being told she had broken the dress code. It's hard to say unless you know the intentions of the people involved.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be that fat chic, and say that she's not even that "toned," ie hot.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be that fat chic, and say that she's not even that "toned," ie hot.

She's the trainer, not the girl accused.
    Also, those of you say it is promoting mediocrity, don't know what you are talking about. These people are working hard to be like you

There is much more to success than merely working hard. In every aspect in life and CERTAINLY the gym.

I've yet to meet or hear of a single elite fitness model/guru/competitor that was not inspired by someone better than themselves. I've yet to meet a single successful entrepreneur that was insecure and felt demotivated around the elite visionaries in business.

I've also yet to hear of a single person that defeated their insecurities by avoiding the causes. Sure didn't work for me. But, maybe it will work for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In other news,

Employee told not to hang framed diploma on office wall. Co-workers feel intimidated by graduates education.

Too funny...hehe
  • DJManos
    DJManos Posts: 220
    Options
    Exactly what I was thinking....
  • wooddie14
    wooddie14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bahahahahaa.

if you can't show off at the gym, where *can* you show off? but only if you truly have a body worth showing off ;)

I guess you have to go home to your mirror according to Planet Fitness! :-)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jimgaffigan.jpg

The rest of that whole routine is awesome. One of my all time faves

See I was thinking more along the lines of Jim Jefferies...dumb in America...apparently church is not where all the dumb ***ts hang out it's planet fitness.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

Who's the trainer? The woman in the picture is the woman who was told to cover up (Tiffany Austin). There's a video (had to google, it's not included in the link provided) and she's the one who was "intimidating" other people. They labeled the picture incorrectly.

Link: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/gym-tells-woman-shes-intimidating-guests-toned-bod/nfGWc/
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    When I read the title I thought to myself "I bet this is Planet Fitness" again.... and lo and behold.... it was.

I've a good mind to join a Planet Fitness gym, and when I get kicked out for being too strong, I'll sue them for racial discrimination against people who got more than their fair share of neanderthal genes.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't think people are understanding what planet fitness is about. I go to a planet fitness. Basically the no gymtimidation and judgement free zone just means that we all mind our own business there. We're all there to work on our health and get some exercise, not hang out with our girlfriends in the back of the room texting and giggling and pointing at the girl on the treadmill trying to jog a mile. The lunk alarm has never been pulled as far as i'm aware, but basically it's for when people are acting ridiculous. Plus, it's not cool to drop weights, that could hurt someone or themselves. Of course, it is more annoying when you see someone sitting on one of the strength training machines and just texting and not actually lifting.The people who wanted this girl to wear a shirt and not a little tank top like that probably are insecure about themselves, but probably also felt that she was really exposed. I think those people used the wrong word to describe what they were feeling. Honestly, I too, think she should cover up, but not because her being fit would be intimidating. It's just better to cover up. She doesn't need to show her belly and all that. Honestly I feel naked if I don't have a neckline on my shirt that reaches my collar bones.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Who's the trainer? The woman in the picture is the woman who was told to cover up (Tiffany Austin). There's a video (had to google, it's not included in the link provided) and she's the one who was "intimidating" other people. They labeled the picture incorrectly.

Link: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/gym-tells-woman-shes-intimidating-guests-toned-bod/nfGWc/

Ahh, ok. I was going by the labeling given in the original news story
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't think people are understanding what planet fitness is about. I go to a planet fitness. Basically the no gymtimidation and judgement free zone just means that we all mind our own business there. We're all there to work on our health and get some exercise, not hang out with our girlfriends in the back of the room texting and giggling and pointing at the girl on the treadmill trying to jog a mile. The lunk alarm has never been pulled as far as i'm aware, but basically it's for when people are acting ridiculous. Plus, it's not cool to drop weights, that could hurt someone or themselves. Of course, it is more annoying when you see someone sitting on one of the strength training machines and just texting and not actually lifting.The people who wanted this girl to wear a shirt and not a little tank top like that probably are insecure about themselves, but probably also felt that she was really exposed. I think those people used the wrong word to describe what they were feeling. Honestly, I too, think she should cover up, but not because her being fit would be intimidating. It's just better to cover up. She doesn't need to show her belly and all that. Honestly I feel naked if I don't have a neckline on my shirt that reaches my collar bones.

Saying those actions are ridiculous is judging them, stop being a hypocrite
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    jimgaffigan.jpg

The rest of that whole routine is awesome. One of my all time faves

Haha, Jim Gaffigan is hilarious.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    So out of all that, you're only response was that saying people who fall into the "lunk" description are ridiculous was judging? I probably came out that way, but it is dangerous to drop weights, and I guess to make myself clear, someone who is judging other people(orrr being ridiculous and pointing and laughing at other people. Which doesn't happen at PF, because they promote no judgement)

Besides you're probably just being a troll, so I don't expect you to take what I said seriously anyway.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Saying those actions are ridiculous is judging them, stop being a hypocrite

^^^^ this

the whole concept of labelling other humans as "lunks" based on whether they grunt or drop weights on the floor is...... judging them.... planet fitness mentality people ASSUME that they're doing it to show off or look tough or intimidate others........ the reality is that it's just part of their workout, and they work out that way because it's the best way for them to achieve their goals, and that they're mostly nice people who aren't going to be mean to someone just because they have different goals or are not as fit or strong as them (yes there are exceptions but there are exceptions among every group of people).

Sorry but if someone feels intimidated by other people doing workouts in the gym, then that's a problem that THEY have and they need to get over, rather than blaming the gym or other people in it. If I was intimidated by intelligent people, I can't demand a university that's only for stupid people and people who don't want to study hard.... if I'm intimidated by intelligent people and want to go to university, then I have to get over being intimidated by intelligent people and realise that actually I have potential to be one of them (yes that's right, people who are intimidated by fit people in the gym have the potential to be one of those fit people if they keep on going to the gym).

As for people who are actually being a-holes, like making fun of people less fit than them or doing dangerous things.... you'll find that nearly every gym will not tolerate this kind of thing, and the solution to it is to report it to the management. Everyone should be treated with respect in the gym, and allowed to get on with their workout, whether it's their first time in a gym or whether they're training for powerlifting contests or whatever. Most gyms manage to achieve this without lunk alarms or banning people for being too fit/strong/successful.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    That's why i avoid Planet Fitness, despite their low rates.