How do you feel about a once a week "cheat day" ?

Options
Well, this is only my second week this round on MFP, but I've used it before and have successfully lost weight. I tend to have a "cheat day" once a week where I don't track, and just eat whatever. So far I've lost about 1 lb a week (same as in the past) with staying under 1500 cals 6 days of the week and not tracking the 7th. Does anyone else do this? I know I'd lose faster without that cheat day, but it keeps me sane and able to stay on track the rest of the time.

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make it a weekly habit maybe once every few weeks or months. but I try to stick to my goals everyday and has paid off for me. once a week can easily turn to two days, then three. see where I'm going with this?
  • sadiebea25
    Options
    I do Eric, and I see your point! I agree, one day sometimes turns into two :) Just curious how often others gave them selves a cheat day. Once a week has been working for me, but I'd like to cut it back.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Too much damage can be done in a whole day and some people treat it as a license to binge. I generally always kept on track and once in a while (maybe every few weeks or so) would have a meal where I didn't log. It was usually a special kind of day- birthday dinner, night out on the town, etc. I didn't just eat a bunch of crap because it was Friday.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I used to one cheat meal.. But ate very clean the rest of the day and didn't go overboard with the meal.. Just ate what I was craving in reasonable portions... But yes it can lead to doing it the next day and the next and the next ..

Now that I am low carbing I don't eat cheat meals.
  • chelseafisher5648
    chelseafisher5648 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I found a cheat meal instead day when I meet my small mile marker goals to work better. I found when I had a cheat day I set myself back 2 or 3 days
  • jdr1223
    jdr1223 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dont do a whole cheat day, that could get ugly lol but i do do a cheat meal on usually a saturday night but i still log it
  • jenangelx3
    Options
    I have given myself cheat days and they can definitely hurt you. Now, I try to stay under a specific caloric goal on days I don't want to track too strictly, but your leptin levels can get too low and your body can adapt to a certain caloric intake so if you take 1500 calories everyday for an extended period of time, your body will require a lower intake to burn off as much fat/lose weight so a day in which you consume 400 more calories will actually help increase leptin levels so that you can continue to burn fat at the same rate without having to lower your consumption levels. Also, it may be good mentally to include a cheat meal so you don't feel like you're being restricted and don't accidentally binge.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Don't do a cheat day.
    Do a cheat meal, and even include dessert.

A cheat day can end up being a binge day /:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    I dont do a whole cheat day, that could get ugly lol but i do do a cheat meal on usually a saturday night but i still log it

this is what I do. one meal and it's usually at a restaurant and I try to keep it healthy, and only eat half of it and still log it. we have to live a little but keep it under control. I'm sure my parents will want to eat out after my 5K this sunday so I will have to keep myself from ordering a Monte Chirsto. lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I personally don't subscribe to cheat days/meals...esp not logging them.

If I want KFC I eat it...and make sure it fits in my goals...

If I want a drink I have one...

On those days where it's a "surprise" we are going out...I eat to maintenance but always log it.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing weight and that is what will help you to stay on track in the long run...then do it. I would work on trying not to have a cheat day as you progress.

I have cheat days everyday. Last night I had Ben & Jerry's. It fit in my calorie goal. Yeah, I didn't reach my protein because of it, but it's one day and I didn't go over my calories.

That's how I work cheat days....as long as it fits. I also pay more attention to my weekly calorie and macro totals.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day every other week or so, but I rarely go over by more than a few hundred calories. I always log them. And I tend to lose weight. I'm not trying to lose weight quickly so it's fine for me and it fits with how I want to live my life.
  • momofgilliam4
    Options
    I agree with the "cheat meal" theory. However, I don't really consider it a cheat since I will log it anyway. It's more of a license to go over once in a while. :)
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days, or days where I don't log in or track my food. I feel these ultimately set you up to fail and agree with others who say that one turns into two then three. The work you do on the other days is too easily undone.

I eat food I like, but in much smaller quantities and I am moving more. And I make sure I build in treats. I do not feel deprived or insane. But I also don't freak out if I decide to have a piece of pie and it puts me over for the day. It's not a cheat. It is a mindset. Plain and simple and there is no going back. I am making changes that I expect to maintain for a lifetime.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    I dont believe in cheat days. If you need a cheat day to feel "sane", then you dont deserve to be in shape.

Even the name of it ("cheat" day) implies that its wrong to do. You know the foods you usually eat on your cheat day are bad for you and your body, yet you still choose to eat it.

Like I said, with that mindset, you dont deserve to be in shape.

that's a little harsh, but true. lets try and educate and lift up members instead of degrading them. lets stay positive and all get healthy together.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also really don't like the cheat terminology, but I like to include in my week a meal or even two that will be more indulgent (although not enormously so). Part of this is that I do go out to eat once or twice a week and I am aware that there's going to be some extra butter and other things that are not obvious that will lead to it being more calories than I'd normally have. I always log these and add in some extras to account for the chef's magic.

Lately I've been trying to adjust the rest of the day to make room for the splurge meal, but I lost a bunch of weight some years ago (1-2 lbs per week) doing the splurge meal and just watching portion size, without adjusting the rest of the day. (I obviously gained it back, which is why I'm here now, but that was entirely unrelated to the splurge meal.)

Beats me if there's any physical effect, but psychologically it helped me know that I wasn't really doing without.
  • Rogue_228
    Rogue_228 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I try to look back and see what has worked and what hasn't. I do not do a cheat day or meal, however I do go out on the weekends and I eat what fits into my calorie intake goal. If I know I am going out on Saturday night I make sure I hit the gym that morning so that I can eat more or drink while I am out. This has worked for me.
  • sadiebea25
    Options
    I don't know that "I don't deserve to be in shape" but....you can have your opinion!

I really like the idea of the cheat meal instead of the cheat day. I'm going to go with that. And it's just my personality, I need a break from the diet every once in awhile to keep motivated. And I agree, "cheat" is maybe not the best word, but it's what I've called it forever. Call it what you will!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I would never do that. It's not hard to eat whatever you want and fit it into your dauily calorie allotment. Why would you go over? It's just obsessing about food as a "treat" and setting yourself up to fail..
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    I allow myself Saturdays to have a little "cheat". Basically, I don't indulge during the week (or this is my weekly goal) and save it for Saturday. Now I don't go crazy, I will have 2 slices of pizza, or maybe a desert. I still make good choices, but if I want the brownie, I will have it. I know for myself, I can be strict to a point, but if I never relax, I will fail. So, its working so far. 13lbs down in a month or so :)