How do you feel about a once a week "cheat day" ?

Options

Replies

• Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Weekly average is all that matters. Some days are better, some days are worse. As long as it all balances out it's OK.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    That would be today. We had a potluck at work and I'm "feeling" overfull and wishing I hadn't done it, lol. Oh well. Salad for supper and moving on.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm all for individuality and whatever works. There are lots of people who swear by "cheat days". If you are one, I encourage you to do it.

As for me, I just can't. Weight loss for me has been a matter of convincing my subconcious that I'm eating correctly now. Cheating tells me I am doing something strange and arduous most days and need a day off.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've still got a pint of Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra in the freezer. Rather than eating the whole thing in 1-2 sittings, I'm planning on 4-6--a dozen or so delicious teaspoonfuls for a day when I'm craving chocolate or ice cream or caramel, then put the rest back. I've also got a couple of frozen Greek yogurt bars in there, and a bag of frozen blueberries.

This doesn't work for everyone. I can't keep ice cream in quantities larger than single serving in my house. I will immediately binge on it, and it has nothing to do with restricting myself for a "diet", I did this when I wan't logging my food. I have certain foods that I can't eat in moderation and probably will never be able to.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've still got a pint of Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra in the freezer. Rather than eating the whole thing in 1-2 sittings, I'm planning on 4-6--a dozen or so delicious teaspoonfuls for a day when I'm craving chocolate or ice cream or caramel, then put the rest back. I've also got a couple of frozen Greek yogurt bars in there, and a bag of frozen blueberries.

This doesn't work for everyone. I can't keep ice cream in quantities larger than single serving in my house. I will immediately binge on it, and it has nothing to do with restricting myself for a "diet", I did this when I wan't logging my food. I have certain foods that I can't eat in moderation and probably will never be able to.

Definitely wouldn't work for me. I can easily eat the whole pint of Ben and Jerry's. I have to be very careful with that stuff. I'm really grateful for those tiny servings you find sometimes. I'd be even happier if I could find the toffee one (can't recall the name) in the mini sizes.
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I really have two thoughts on this.

(and in full disclosure I tend to do a 1 cheat meal every other week, and that's on my weigh in day).

If you keep it 'sane' its not a problem.

HOWEVER,

I tend to abuse food like alcoholics abuse alcohol. At times that cheat meal has turned into a cheat day.

Suffice it to say, do alcoholics stay sober by having a cheat day?

(I'm not saying you're that bad, I'm talking in general)

I am in the same boat. Food just affects me to the point that I can't allow myself to have a cheat day, because I WILL go overboard and binge. I know and accept that about myself. Maybe once I fix my relationship with food, that will change, but for now, for me, a cheat day is dangerous. That's not to say I've never gone over on calories, because I certainly have, but rewarding my week of "hard work" with food is just perpetuating habits that got me fat in the first place.

All that being said, if a treat day is working for you, by all means continue to do it. i just know it doesn't work for ME.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I cheat all weekend, but try not to be stupid about it and take those excess calories into consideration throughout the week.

Still losing a pound per week.
  • jlg3797
    jlg3797 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried it in the beginning, but find instead of feeling good/having fun with it, I just felt bad. I have some days I go over and just try to balance it out with days I am under. The funny thing is my "cheat" days were really normal days for me before I started MFP, so I know I have made progress, even if my daily calories aren't as low as I'd like.
  • catsandtats
    catsandtats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have something kind of like that built in to my plan. I "zig zag" my calories so that they are the lowest on my rest days and higher on days when I work out. I have one day a week where my calories are at their highest and I use that day to feel o.k. about not being 100% "on plan." One caveat, though: I don't really have a "chat day" so much as maybe one "chat meal" per week. So on my "big" day, I'll eat breakfast and lunch normally on-plan, but then go out with friends/fiance/eat freezer burritos.

Oh, and I'd also add this: I only use the cheat meal on foods that are not "on my plan" if I REALLY want them. Sometimes, I honestly just feel like eating my normal foods!
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options

When she's talking about a "cheat day" or "treat day" or whatever you want to call it, it's not about gorging herself with soda, cake, processed cheese, cheetos etc. We grew up in a culinary family (and still are!) and perhaps we still want to enjoy rich delicious cheese, yummy red wine, dark chocolate panna cotta, prosciutto and figs, neapolitan pizza, local restaurants and wineries etc. Having a meal that would be a "treat" one day a week and going over our calorie goal, does NOT mean we're stuffing ourselves to the brim with cake and chemicals.

I so want to come to your house when you are having a cheat day. Sounds delicious!

Tora Chan - There are no "good" or "bad" foods. . . . .there is just food.

You wouldnt consider pork rinds "bad food"? There are good and bad foods; which is the whole point behind having a "cheat" day to allow yourself to eat those "bad foods".

Ask Dr. Oz whether he thinks there are no bad foods that humans shouldnt eat and see what he says.

A 1-ounce serving of pork rinds contains zero carbohydrates, 17 grams of protein, and 9 grams of fat. How is that bad?

And just "no" to Dr. Oz.
  • misfitzchik66
    misfitzchik66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week, I lost 20 pounds just fine doing so almost 2 years ago. I ate what I wanted on my cheat day(within moderation) and still lost a pound a week. I wasn't exercising as much then either. I can't say this works for everyone though. Just that in my experience it worked/works fine having a cheat day as long as you are not gorging yourself silly. It actually makes it easier for me to keep calorie counting because I know at the end of the week I have something to look forward too!
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    At no time should anyone seeking to improve his or her nutrition and overall sense of wellness listen to Dr. Oz. In two weeks of exposure to Dr. Oz, at my elderly grandmother's bidding, I saw him promote raspberry ketones, green coffee extract and the HCG diet. This is "war on food" mentality foolishness.

The OP is eating real food and losing body fat at a reasonable rate. She is doing something right. Dr. Oz does not fit into this conversation, as she did not request assistance in perfecting her snake oil sales techniques.
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a cheatmeal is good for your metabolism as it keeps it confused and prevents homeostasis in your body's weight.

Your body's main goal is to find the most easy and stable way to do things. If you do the same thing work out or eating wise it can make your body too effiecient and cause you to plateau.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Weekly average is all that matters. Some days are better, some days are worse. As long as it all balances out it's OK.

Yes this is it in a nutshell.

Sometimes even monthly averages.

If most days are on or under calorie goal it wont hurt if one is over.

Even if most weeks are on or under, it wont matter if one week is over (by not too much, of course)

I don't do non log meals or days - I log everything, even if it is sometimes estimates if I am eating out somewhere - but I certainly have over goal days and treat foods - within moderation.

Moderation is the key, not deprivation.

and don't listen to anyone whose information source is Dr Oz :laugh:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'd use the word "Treat" day instead of "Cheat day". You can't ruin a lifestyle by treating yourself once in a while. Just don't let "treating" become the norm.
    You I like. From now on, my "cheat days" shall be referred to as "treat days". This week's treat day was today. Much food was eaten and many dranks were drunk. All was logged though.

In my opinion, occasional, deliberate and controlled over-eating is part of a healthy relationship with food, and planned cheat days (or meals) are a good way to get used to that that.

That being said, my weight problems were slight to begin with and I'm essentially at maintenance now. If I was dealing with a very large weight problem, my perspective might be different.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    Like an AA who is trying to sober up by getting drunk once a week. Seriously though, no cheat day, no cheat meals. Go over you daily goal once in a while (up to your maintenance) but make sure you make healthy choices when you do this and it is part of weekly balance. No binge!

EDIT: it is a healthy lifestyle we are all after like so this new way of eat is some sort of reprograming the same way an addict goes to rehab.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

When she's talking about a "cheat day" or "treat day" or whatever you want to call it, it's not about gorging herself with soda, cake, processed cheese, cheetos etc. We grew up in a culinary family (and still are!) and perhaps we still want to enjoy rich delicious cheese, yummy red wine, dark chocolate panna cotta, prosciutto and figs, neapolitan pizza, local restaurants and wineries etc. Having a meal that would be a "treat" one day a week and going over our calorie goal, does NOT mean we're stuffing ourselves to the brim with cake and chemicals.

I so want to come to your house when you are having a cheat day. Sounds delicious!

Tora Chan - There are no "good" or "bad" foods. . . . .there is just food.

You wouldnt consider pork rinds "bad food"? There are good and bad foods; which is the whole point behind having a "cheat" day to allow yourself to eat those "bad foods".

Ask Dr. Oz whether he thinks there are no bad foods that humans shouldnt eat and see what he says.

You eat less than 2/3 of what your body needs at rest and listen to Dr. Oz ... I'll choose someone with more logic in their posts to listen to on any topic.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Like an AA who is trying to sober up by getting drunk once a week. Seriously though, no cheat day, no cheat meals. Go over you daily goal once in a while (up to your maintenance) but make sure you make healthy choices when you do this and it is part of weekly balance. No binge!

EDIT: it is a healthy lifestyle we are all after like so this new way of eat is some sort of reprograming the same way an addict goes to rehab.

I don't think comparing controlled cheat or treat meals/occasions is the same as recovering alcoholics or drug addicts at all.

I think that comparison Is as irrelevant as the poster comparing the human body to a car.

Moderation is the key - and this can include moderate amounts of treats ( much prefer that emphasis than cheats as it implies controlled extras)
    Just like a person with a healthy relationship to alcohol can drink in moderation.

If you are a binge eater who can't do treats in moderation - sure, don't do them at all. Just like a recovering alcoholic may not be able to drink alcohol at all

But fir most people, incorporating treats in a moderate sensible way will help their lifestyle change to be sustainable long term. Treats do not have to be 'healthy choices' - that kind of defeats the treat purpose .
    But they do have to be in moderation, in terms of frequency and amount.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I always had a cheat day when I was losing. And I still lost.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Diets are flexible. Run a net caloric deficit over a long period of time and you will lose weight.

You don't ruin a diet by going out once a month and having some beers and a burger with friends after a particularly difficult midterm.

The only trick is just making sure the exception doesn't become the rule and you aren't out every single day stuffing donuts and burgers and milkshakes in your face because "lol cheat day, doesn't count!".