Does anyone else have crap genetics?

Replies

• Lu_LeatherEagle
    Lu_LeatherEagle Posts: 9 Member
    I do know what you mean...and laughed to myself as I read, because I think the same thing.

Although I am led to believe it isn't entirely crap genes, it just means we have to be a bit more creative with our weight lifting plan. I am on a mission to squat my way to less hips and thighs.

No, I will never be an ectomorph but I'm gonna damn well try to be the most narrow pear I know.

Good luck.

Lu
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    No, I have fabulous genetics...couldn't ask for better genes--my issue is I can tend to be gluttonous, slothful/lazy, entitled and spoiled rotten about not doing the hard work it takes to get me where I want to be spiritually, mentally, and especially physically. That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be--but that's just me, of course. :flowerforyou:

So can you explain to me why I can bring my HR from 140 to 190 in less than 1 minute but still have stubborn fat that squishes beneath my bra strap? I work very hard and will continue to do so and am in excellent cardiovascular health, but I am hanging onto fat in certain spots. This is caused by my genes, who aren't always the kindest friends to me. I'm not blaming my genes as an excuse for lack of effort on my own part, but because they ARE to blame for the locations of the fat deposits on my body.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I don't really know why everyone is attacking the OP. She's not making excuses, what she's saying is correct.

Who's attacking the OP? We're all sharing opinions.... having a different opinion and saying so =/= attacking
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I think I can say with 100% certainty, I got the worst of all qualities from both sides of the family, mostly PCOS related.. I carry all my fat in my lower stomach. It's not just annoying, it literally prevents me from buying 90% of pants. There is at least a 2-3 size difference between the legs/hips of a pant and the stomach size for me. Excess body hair (my stomach, neck, chest and arms that I have to shave daily and grows back in hours), cystic acne which has led to a mutilated looking, scarred face. I get most of this from my paternal grandmother, some from my mom's side.

I've heard everything from insults to pity. I've actually had people ask me if I was a man, if I was BORN a man, or if my face was burned in an accident or fire..I was born 100% woman, I'm positive. I've had 'family and friends' who tell me how sorry they feel for me but I'm so used to it at this point, it doesn't really bother me.. It's not a 'cop out' or lack of trying that makes me look this way. I can lose as much weight as I want, that isn't going to change my genes.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Oh... when you said 'crap genetics', I thought you were talking about a propensity for heart disease or breast/ovarian cancer. Or maybe genes that make it likely that you'll suffer any number of autoimmune conditions, thinning bones or osteoarthritis. Because personally... yeah, I do have that kind of crap genetics.

I couldn't care less about the size of my boobs. Small breasts are not even crap genetics. Breast size is just a physical appearance trait that has absolutely no bearing on your health.

Shaking my head... and sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just got some bad health news that *is* due to my 'crap genetics'. I'm feeling pretty touchy, and to hear someone complaining about the horrors of 'crap genes' causing A-cups... well, I'm just not up for that today.

Make the best of what you have, and if small breasts are the worst of it, be very thankful.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    No, I have fabulous genetics...couldn't ask for better genes--my issue is I can tend to be gluttonous, slothful/lazy, entitled and spoiled rotten about not doing the hard work it takes to get me where I want to be spiritually, mentally, and especially physically. That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be--but that's just me, of course. :flowerforyou:

So can you explain to me why I can bring my HR from 140 to 190 in less than 1 minute but still have stubborn fat that squishes beneath my bra strap? I work very hard and will continue to do so and am in excellent cardiovascular health, but I am hanging onto fat in certain spots. This is caused by my genes, who aren't always the kindest friends to me. I'm not blaming my genes as an excuse for lack of effort on my own part, but because they ARE to blame for the locations of the fat deposits on my body.

If you hadn't done some consistent overeating at some point in your life, you wouldn't have fat that squishes beneath your bra strap, "crap genetics" or otherwise.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member

No, I can't explain it...but I can say that many times I/people "think" we are eating, drinking and working out as hard or as productive as we can and we simply aren't--we think we are, but we're not. Example...if I'm not measuring my foods--if I'm "eyeing" them, no matter how much I think I'm eating X amount of cals--I could very well be over-estimating how much I'm eating. If I'm not using one of those fancy thingys like a HRM (heart-rate monitor, fitbit or one of those other do-dads), no matter how much I think I'm burning X amount of cals--I'm not.

Your genes very well maybe the reasons you're failing at accomplishing your goals...but they are NOT mine, which is why I ended my post stating "That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be--but that's just me, of course."
  • levitateme
    I don't really know why everyone is attacking the OP. She's not making excuses, what she's saying is correct.

Who's attacking the OP? We're all sharing opinions.... having a different opinion and saying so =/= attacking

Arguing on the internet is like screaming into an empty room, but I'll bite. Telling her that "she's just not working hard enough" is attacking her. She was explaining how her body stores fat and how it's frustrating to her and she got back several replies that were basically "Hey just work harder, stop making excuses". No matter how hard we all work, no one can spot reduce fat and how we store fat is because of our genetics.
  • neandermagnon

because stubborn fat is what enabled your ancestors to survive food shortages, and you're descended from all the survivors. Stubborn fat =/= crap genes. Stubborn fat = excellent genetics. Modern society just has some weird priorities. Obesity is the result of us being too good at acquiring food and developing technology that allows us to be sedentary. And small stubborn fat deposits that you describe are not obesity or a danger to your health. You're not morbidly obese, sounds like you have a body fat percentage in the healthy range, and you're being too harsh with yourself. Nothing wrong with wanting to be more cut if that's what you prefer, but finding it hard to get as cut as you'd like to be =/= crap genetics.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    we're all the product of millions of years of evolutionary success... we all have excellent genetics.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite books:

“Consider the fact that for 3.8 billion years, a period of time older than the Earth's mountains and rivers and oceans, every one of your forebears on both sides has been attractive enough to find a mate, healthy enough to reproduce, and sufficiently blessed by fate and circumstances to live long enough to do so. Not one of your pertinent ancestors was squashed, devoured, drowned, starved, stranded, stuck fast, untimely wounded, or otherwise deflected from its life's quest of delivering a tiny charge of genetic material to the right partner at the right moment in order to perpetuate the only possible sequence of hereditary combinations that could result -- eventually, astoundingly, and all too briefly -- in you.”
    ― Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Oh... when you said 'crap genetics', I thought you were talking about a propensity for heart disease or breast/ovarian cancer. Or maybe genes that make it likely that you'll suffer any number of autoimmune conditions, thinning bones or osteoarthritis. Because personally... yeah, I do have that kind of crap genetics.

I couldn't care less about the size of my boobs. Small breasts are not even crap genetics. Breast size is just a physical appearance trait that has absolutely no bearing on your health.

Shaking my head... and sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just got some bad health news that *is* due to my 'crap genetics'. I'm feeling pretty touchy, and to hear someone complaining about the horrors of 'crap genes' causing A-cups... well, I'm just not up for that today.

A nice dose of perspective. I hope everything turns out okay for you! :flowerforyou:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    meh. sounds like a lazy excuse to me.

Once I lost the excuses, I had no reasons to not be successful in my goals.
  • levitateme

No, I can't explain it...but I can say that many times we "think" we are eating, drinking and working out as hard or as productive as we can and we simply aren't--we think we are, but we're not. Example...if I'm not measuring my foods--if I'm "eyeing" them, no matter how much I think I'm eating X amount of cals--I could very well be over-estimating how much I'm eating. If I'm not using one of those fancy thingys like a HRM (heart-rate monitor, fitbit or one of those other do-dads), no matter how much I think I'm burning X amount of cals--I'm not.

Your genes very well maybe the reasons you're failing at accomplishing your goals...but they are NOT mine, which is why I ended my post stating "That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be--but that's just me, of course."

I am still halfway to my goal, so I'm not "not accomplishing my goals". I am also not saying that my genes make it so I can't lose weight. I am losing 1-2 lbs per week, and my legs look great, my back fat/stomach/upper arms, not so much. My body hanging onto fat in certain areas is determined by genetics. When I am at my goal weight, I'd like to hope that the fat I want to lose from the areas i want to lose it from will be gone, but it may not be the case. That's all.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

Arguing on the internet is like screaming into an empty room, but I'll bite. Telling her that "she's just not working hard enough" is attacking her. She was explaining how her body stores fat and how it's frustrating to her and she got back several replies that were basically "Hey just work harder, stop making excuses". No matter how hard we all work, no one can spot reduce fat and how we store fat is because of our genetics.

Yet, all of those with that attitude seem to be those who are coming out on top and most successful. Hmmmmm, is there a trend? I do love my sugar, but I don't want everything sugar-coated.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    If you have crap genetics, you are dead.

Still reading? Your genetics are pretty damn good.
    Play with what you've got. Stop moaning.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member

Make the best of what you have, and if small breasts are the worst of it, be very thankful.

Agreed.

Sorry for your bad news and hope for the best! :flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    You can always get a boob job. =p

But anyway, people will consider different things bad. I can't get rid of my love handles, my boyfriend says he loves them. I do have big hips which are annoying to fit into pants...but they make my waist look smaller. Embrace yourself, remember that you'll feel better even if your boobs are smaller, and that your hips are just part of who you are.
  • neandermagnon

and it's a problem that we all have because no-one looks like an airbrushed magazine model. even the models themselves don't look like that otherwise there'd be no airbrushing going on...... Personally, I think it's really sad that fit, healthy people think they have been dealt a bad hand genetically speaking because they have the same stubborn fat deposits as everyone else (even if genetics determines that they're not all in the same place). No-one gets rid of them easily. No-one has to either, unless they really, really want to. Yes I think people have a responsibility to themselves to be healthy, but sub 18% body fat and no stubborn fat at all isn't necessary for health. The healthy bf% range for women is 18-28% and everyone at 28% body fat will have fat on their hips, or belly, or usually both. It's a vanity thing trying to get rid of all the stubborn fat (and nothing wrong with that!). But if you do want to get down to that low, then it is very hard work and no-one finds it easy. Finding it hard =/= crap genetics. It's normal.

As for the definition of "attack" I'm not going to argue about that, but anyone who feels attacked by people disagreeing with them on the internet is going to have a hard time interacting on the internet. Blunt comments happen, and 99% of "meanness" on the internet isn't meant that way.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    wow
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Telling her that "she's just not working hard enough" is attacking her.

No, it most certainly isn't.