Planet Fitness Tell Woman to Cover Up

Options
Amestris
Amestris Posts: 152 Member
I just read the article below. Apparently this woman was told to cover up because her toned body intimidated other gym patrons. If that isn't the biggest crock of mess...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/gym-tells-woman-to-cover-up-because-her-‘toned-body’-intimidated-others-211926273.html?vp=1

Replies

• KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a "gym" that will NEVER get my business. Any place that has an alarm that goes off when you grunt or drop a weight isn't a place for me. That place is a joke.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I understand that Planet Fitness wants to pose themselves as being beginner-friendly and not to make people feel bad about their bodies but they do it by encouraging people NOT TO MAKE AN EFFORT via the grunt alarm and by telling this woman to HIDE HER BODY. This is disgusting business practice.

Also if I went to a gym and they told me I was intimidatingly toned I would say "thank you" and demand a refund.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I was asked to leave a clothing store once for the same reason...I was like WTF?
  • KoopaSix
    Options
    LOL Planet Fitness has a free pizza and bagel night every month for members...enough said
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I was asked to leave a clothing store once for the same reason...I was like WTF?

Yeah, I was asked to leave the beach for that too! Like, why, really?
  • Amestris
    Options

Seriously??? You are both joking right
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options

I gots a sexyyyy "intimidating" friend list!!! :flowerforyou:

So did you guys actually leave??
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    LOL Planet Fitness has a free pizza and bagel night every month for members...enough said

That's crazy! They must be trying to make sure they keep in business - keeping people fat so they keep coming back!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Well, that's different. Dudes popping out of their thongs when they take a looksie at you could pose a problem...
  • KoopaSix
    Options
    What's worse is this "gym" claims to be a "no judgement" gym, yet they tell this woman she is intimidating with how healthy she is...what a joke. Sounds like discrimination to me. I say if someone busts their *kitten* hard enough they've EARNED the right to show off their hard work. If people don't like it, it's usually out of jealousy and it really doesn't matter. The option is always there for them to get into just as good shape, if not better than that person. Why should people cover up to save the feelings of those who don't want to put in the work.

jm2c
  • mccindy72
    Options

I'm totally kidding. I did once get told I was dressed too sexy at a bar and should leave by some drunk beyotch who wanted to kick my butt, and she kept poking me in the breastbone. My hubs saw her doing it, knew what would happen, and got there in time to pick me up and move me aside right as I raised my fist to face punch her. She had to leave, the bartender was a friend of ours and threw her out. My tank top and skirt was too much for her, I guess.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    Options
    What's worse is this "gym" claims to be a "no judgement" gym, yet they tell this woman she is intimidating with how healthy she is...what a joke. Sounds like discrimination to me. I say if someone busts their *kitten* hard enough they've EARNED the right to show off their hard work. If people don't like it, it's usually out of jealousy and it really doesn't matter. The option is always there for them to get into just as good shape, if not better than that person. Why should people cover up to save the feelings of those who don't want to put in the work.

jm2c

I agree. It might be intimidating to see the fitter healthier people but that would be motivation to me - knowing that I will eventually look like that.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Well, that's different. Dudes popping out of their thongs when they take a looksie at you could pose a problem...

:blushing:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

That's crazy! They must be trying to make sure they keep in business - keeping people fat so they keep coming back!

That was the first thing I thought when I heard this, too!
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    Options

I'm totally kidding. I did once get told I was dressed too sexy at a bar and should leave by some drunk beyotch who wanted to kick my butt, and she kept poking me in the breastbone. My hubs saw her doing it, knew what would happen, and got there in time to pick me up and move me aside right as I raised my fist to face punch her. She had to leave, the bartender was a friend of ours and threw her out. My tank top and skirt was too much for her, I guess.

I once had a bartender shove a scoop of ice down my cleavage and proceed to push it down with his hands because he said that my boobs were so amazing he needed an excuse to touch them. I wasn't even drinking! Never got kicked out for it though :)
  • HittinMyGoals
    HittinMyGoals Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yea, I would never join a big gym. Not being able to grunt (within reason) or drop a weight after a hard fought set is not for me. I also like to sweat when I work out and apparently that's a no no as well.
  • Junken__Diraffe
    Options
    I'm gonna join with my goal being told I look to good to be there. I won't at first, but after some hard work, it could happen!
  • Amestris
    Options

jm2c

Pretty much. She is a fit woman. If anything she should serve as a inspiration. Not as if she were the Hulk running through the gym.
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I find toned-fit people inspiring. This is a ridiculous policy. I'm 100lbs over weight and work out, side by side, with very fit, toned and athletic people. They're not bothered by me and I'm not bothered by them...we're all just doing our thing!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Wow