Planet Fitness Tell Woman to Cover Up

Options

Replies

• ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I hear all these crazy stories about PF and the crap they pull... but the one I go to is fine? Plenty of fit half-nekkid people running around as well as the larger crowd - and every body type in-between. Everyone seems to just mind their business and do their workouts without complaint. The employees are friendly and I haven't seen any incidents anytime I've been there. Might be due to being so near the military base. A lot of us go there because it's cheap and in a better state of repair than our base gyms >_>. The area is probably just used to a "fitter" crowd due to that. *shrug*
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I hear all these crazy stories about PF and the crap they pull... but the one I go to is fine? Plenty of fit half-nekkid people running around as well as the larger crowd - and every body type in-between. Everyone seems to just mind their business and do their workouts without complaint. The employees are friendly and I haven't seen any incidents anytime I've been there. Might be due to being so near the military base. A lot of us go there because it's cheap and in a better state of repair than our base gyms >_>. The area is probably just used to a "fitter" crowd due to that. *shrug*

It does appear to vary from place to place (from what I have read on here). Glad you go to a good one.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Yeah, because pizza once a month is going to freeze progress.

This is more about a dress code. Bloggers are being fancy with wording talking about "Planet Fitness asks her to hide her body!" No...Planet Fitness and many other places have a dress code. I've seen the YMCA ask a woman to cover up because she was basically in a glorified pair of underwear and bra that had a Nike logo on it. If you want to work out naked, stay at home.

She joined knowing they had a dress code and she signed a contract acknowledging that she was aware there was a dress code! How is this news? She's an attention *kitten* looking for a payday. I look at Planet Fitness like Curves. It's a place people can go to without feeling judged. If Planet Fitness thinks they have to have a dress code to accomplish this, then so be it. Just don't whine about it after you sign the contract!
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options

It does appear to vary from place to place (from what I have read on here). Glad you go to a good one.

Me too! Because I live in a very expensive area already so a cheap gym is pretty important! The ones on base are free but... most of the equipment is broken 90% of the time, it's ALWAYS packed and you have to fight for machines, the ventilation sucks so it always is clammy and smells... PF is clean and smells nice and I have found times of the day that aren't packed. Plus if you wanna talk about "gymtimidation"... be an overweight person in the military at a military gym! They ARE judging you. Being overweight is a crime there >_> So yeah, off-base and cheap = good in my book lol
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad my planet fitness (Boise, ID) is not at all like that. There are folks at my gym that are extremely fit and look like they are training for competitions and as a fatty who's working hard to not be a fatty anymore, I have never found them intimidating. They are usually pretty friendly and I have always been impressed and admired the hard work they put into their bodies. You know who I often get dirty looks from though? The other fat people. Just something I have noticed.

Can't we just have some basic respect for each other...after all we all put our gym shorts (or maybe they should be pants that aren't intimidatingly revealing) on one leg at a time.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options

This is more about a dress code. Bloggers are being fancy with wording talking about "Planet Fitness asks her to hide her body!" No...Planet Fitness and many other places have a dress code. I've seen the YMCA ask a woman to cover up because she was basically in a glorified pair of underwear and bra that had a Nike logo on it. If you want to work out naked, stay at home.

She joined knowing they had a dress code and she signed a contract acknowledging that she was aware there was a dress code! How is this news? She's an attention *kitten* looking for a payday. I look at Planet Fitness like Curves. It's a place people can go to without feeling judged. If Planet Fitness thinks they have to have a dress code to accomplish this, then so be it. Just don't whine about it after you sign the contract!

I don't think her attire was in any way overly revealing or inappropriate. Though I would guess that PF does have some sort of dress code.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had to look up the zumba commercial that they showed a clip from: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7fhy/planet-fitness-pilatatumba
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a "gym" that will NEVER get my business. Any place that has an alarm that goes off when you grunt or drop a weight isn't a place for me. That place is a joke.
    Yea, I would never join a big gym. Not being able to grunt (within reason) or drop a weight after a hard fought set is not for me. I also like to sweat when I work out and apparently that's a no no as well.

I press 150 lb dumbbells which is the highest My gym has, I've never had to drop/slam them, and I can't imagine why anyone would, short of some sort of an injury that occurred during the lift.

Every time I see someone drop/slam weights, it's usually a very socially awkward or misguided individual who is doing it with the sole purpose of making a loud noise, so people in the gym look their way.

I've asked several people, and they've never had a valid reason either.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had to look up the zumba commercial that they showed a clip from: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7fhy/planet-fitness-pilatatumba

I just burst out laughing.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If you are fit, planet fitness is not the place for you.

Planet fitness has a right to run their business, and aim their regulations towards a particular clientele as they please.

I'm too hot for planet fitness anyways........ (I kid)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

I press 150 lb dumbbells which is the highest My gym has, I've never had to drop/slam them, and I can't imagine why anyone would, short of some sort of an injury that occurred during the lift.

You must be crazy strong. Because I know a whole bunch of powerlifters who easily bench upwards of 650, and they dump out of 150 dumbbells. And of course, the dumbbell press is one that often should be dropped, to prevent injury. Deadlifts are another. That's why good gyms have high density foam padding.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options

You must be crazy strong. Because I know a whole bunch of powerlifters who easily bench upwards of 650, and they dump out of 150 dumbbells. And of course, the dumbbell press is one that often should be dropped, to prevent injury. Deadlifts are another. That's why good gyms have high density foam padding.

damn, he must be hella strong

I use like 70's and crap out after 3x12
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a "gym" that will NEVER get my business. Any place that has an alarm that goes off when you grunt or drop a weight isn't a place for me. That place is a joke.
    Yea, I would never join a big gym. Not being able to grunt (within reason) or drop a weight after a hard fought set is not for me. I also like to sweat when I work out and apparently that's a no no as well.

Every time I see someone drop/slam weights, it's usually a very socially awkward or misguided individual who is doing it with the sole purpose of making a loud noise, so people in the gym look their way.

http://rhinofitness.ca/articles/article_dropweights.html

You're welcome.

And I call BS on the 150. I'd LOVE to see you DB BP 150's for a decent range WITH good form and not have to drop them. Maybe for a 1RM at 150 I guess I could see that. I lift with guys who would BLOW YOUR MIND and they don't even DB bench 150's. The amount you lift means nothing in this game (unless your goal is power lifting, even then most isolation exercises are out the window since power lifting's main goal is focused around compound lifts), progressive overload can be achieved through a multitude of training strategies to achieve muscular hypertrophy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Perhaps they have arthritis that limits their hand strength.
  • KoopaSix
    Options

This right here
    http://rhinofitness.ca/articles/article_dropweights.html
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options

But did you even see the outfit she was wearing? It covers her plenty. It was in no way a "glorified pair of underwear and a bra." Either way, they didn't tell her, "Sorry, you're violating our dress code policy" they told her she was intimidating people. That's the ridiculous part.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Lol just watched the commercial.

Now wtf is a lunk? :laugh:
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the news. That is very stupid! :grumble: She is covered decently and personally I say it is okay to show some skin (belly, arms) to show that you are living healthy. You need to pride yourself on being toned.
  • KoopaSix
    Options

Lol just watched the commercial.

Now wtf is a lunk? :laugh:

Lunk is what Planet Fitness uses to describe when someone drops a weight on the floor. They have alarms set up throughout the facility that activate with sirens when someone grunts loudly or drops a weight to the floor. They call this a "Lunker Alarm"...there's several Youtube vids of it. Pretty funny stuff.