Planet Fitness Tell Woman to Cover Up

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

I press 150 lb dumbbells which is the highest My gym has, I've never had to drop/slam them, and I can't imagine why anyone would, short of some sort of an injury that occurred during the lift.

You must be crazy strong. Because I know a whole bunch of powerlifters who easily bench upwards of 650, and they dump out of 150 dumbbells. And of course, the dumbbell press is one that often should be dropped, to prevent injury. Deadlifts are another. That's why good gyms have high density foam padding.

damn, he must be hella strong

I use like 70's and crap out after 3x12

I think he mistyped. He isn't dropping the 15s. ;)
  • VegRuthie
    VegRuthie Posts: 20
    Options
    I hardly go to the gym. I do more outdoor activities. That is the reason why I have a planet fitness membership. I have been to 3 different locations in FL and I have seen fit women with sport bras, shorts, tight pants, toned arms and no problem what so ever. Same thing with guy, some of them are very fit with great bodies and there is not issue what so ever. I guess we are lucky here in Central, FL.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I concur with other PF gym members--we must be lucky at our gym in Knoxville, TN because I rarely ever hear the link alarm go off, people wear whatever they want (baggy to form-fitting) and I don't think our location serves up pizza or bagels every week. Just a bowl of tootsie rolls on the front desk. I like the cleanliness, friendly atmosphere and quality/condition of the equipment. And yeah, $10 a month with no contract is a bargain.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My husband just built a bench for me to use for hip thrusts (regular benches are too tall, plus they take up a lot of space). When he showed me the finished product, my youngest daughter was rolling all around on it, so I couldn't try it out. My husband said, "Get off the bench. Let mommy try it. She's such a clunk! Oh wait, what is that word? Lunk?" He said the clunk part to me under his breath, about my daughter.
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I press 150 lb dumbbells which is the highest My gym has, I've never had to drop/slam them, and I can't imagine why anyone would, short of some sort of an injury that occurred during the lift.

You must be crazy strong. Because I know a whole bunch of powerlifters who easily bench upwards of 650, and they dump out of 150 dumbbells. And of course, the dumbbell press is one that often should be dropped, to prevent injury. Deadlifts are another. That's why good gyms have high density foam padding.

That's odd, is it the stability?
    DB press is my main chest exercise, rather than BB bench. (Haven't Barbell benched in years.)

I have really wide shoulders, so no matter where I grip the bar, as I progress in the movement it basically kills my rotary cuffs.
    I probably just have weak cuffs as well, I guess.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a "gym" that will NEVER get my business. Any place that has an alarm that goes off when you grunt or drop a weight isn't a place for me. That place is a joke.
    Yea, I would never join a big gym. Not being able to grunt (within reason) or drop a weight after a hard fought set is not for me. I also like to sweat when I work out and apparently that's a no no as well.

Every time I see someone drop/slam weights, it's usually a very socially awkward or misguided individual who is doing it with the sole purpose of making a loud noise, so people in the gym look their way.

I've asked several people, and they've never had a valid reason either.

http://rhinofitness.ca/articles/article_dropweights.html

You're welcome.

And I call BS on the 150. I'd LOVE to see you DB BP 150's for a decent range WITH good form and not have to drop them. Maybe for a 1RM at 150 I guess I could see that. I lift with guys who would BLOW YOUR MIND and they don't even DB bench 150's. The amount you lift means nothing in this game (unless your goal is power lifting, even then most isolation exercises are out the window since power lifting's main goal is focused around compound lifts), progressive overload can be achieved through a multitude of training strategies to achieve muscular hypertrophy.

The article you linked has no backing at all.

When I finish my set, I put the weight on my knees and use momentum to sit up.

There's no strain on anything.
  • Perplexities
    Options

I think he mistyped. He isn't dropping the 15s. ;)

The only reason someone with a strong bench would have a weak DB press is because DB press requires stabilizer muscles that NEVER come into play with Barbell movements.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a "gym" that will NEVER get my business. Any place that has an alarm that goes off when you grunt or drop a weight isn't a place for me. That place is a joke.
    Yea, I would never join a big gym. Not being able to grunt (within reason) or drop a weight after a hard fought set is not for me. I also like to sweat when I work out and apparently that's a no no as well.

Every time I see someone drop/slam weights, it's usually a very socially awkward or misguided individual who is doing it with the sole purpose of making a loud noise, so people in the gym look their way.

I've asked several people, and they've never had a valid reason either.

http://rhinofitness.ca/articles/article_dropweights.html

You're welcome.

And I call BS on the 150. I'd LOVE to see you DB BP 150's for a decent range WITH good form and not have to drop them. Maybe for a 1RM at 150 I guess I could see that. I lift with guys who would BLOW YOUR MIND and they don't even DB bench 150's. The amount you lift means nothing in this game (unless your goal is power lifting, even then most isolation exercises are out the window since power lifting's main goal is focused around compound lifts), progressive overload can be achieved through a multitude of training strategies to achieve muscular hypertrophy.

The article you linked has no backing at all.

When I finish my set, I put the weight on my knees and use momentum to sit up.

There's no strain on anything.

^^This. I'm not DB Pressing anywhere close to 150s, but even when I'm near my personal max with them, I've never had the need to drop them.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I was asked to leave a clothing store once for the same reason...I was like WTF?

Yeah, I was asked to leave the beach for that too! Like, why, really?

Well, that's different. Dudes popping out of their thongs when they take a looksie at you could pose a problem...

I'm looking for the problem here.

Nope. Can't see it.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just read the article below. Apparently this woman was told to cover up because her toned body intimidated other gym patrons. If that isn't the biggest crock of mess...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/gym-tells-woman-to-cover-up-because-her-‘toned-body’-intimidated-others-211926273.html
    This is bananas. There are women way more toned and cut who wear skimpier outfits at my gym. No one says boo to them. Not even the ooglers.

Just because the target Planet Fitness audience is the occasional exerciser, how dare they dictate how in shape someone can be to work out there? Makes no sense.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    I just read the article below. Apparently this woman was told to cover up because her toned body intimidated other gym patrons. If that isn't the biggest crock of mess...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/gym-tells-woman-to-cover-up-because-her-‘toned-body’-intimidated-others-211926273.html
    This is bananas. There are women way more toned and cut who wear skimpier outfits. No one says boo to them. Not even the ooglers.

Just because the target Planet Fitness audience is the occasional exerciser, how dare they dictate how in shape someone can be to work out there? Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense, they have low cost memberships, and no contracts.

They need as many people as possible to buy memberships and not show up.
  • culo97
    Options
    This is more about a dress code...Planet Fitness and many other places have a dress code. I've seen the YMCA ask a woman to cover up because she was basically in a glorified pair of underwear and bra that had a Nike logo on it. If you want to work out naked, stay at home.
    Hey, have you been peeking into my 24 hour fitness? Except I wouldn't call the outfit bottoms "a glorified pair of underwear". Some women in my club basically wear paint-like thin fabric from their waist to just below their crotch. I'm sure it's comfortable and easy to work out in but it's barely clothes.
  • culo97
    Options
    I had to look up the zumba commercial that they showed a clip from: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7fhy/planet-fitness-pilatatumba

Lol just watched the commercial.

Now wtf is a lunk? :laugh:

Lunk is what Planet Fitness uses to describe when someone drops a weight on the floor. They have alarms set up throughout the facility that activate with sirens when someone grunts loudly or drops a weight to the floor. They call this a "Lunker Alarm"...there's several Youtube vids of it. Pretty funny stuff.
    Does the Lunk Alarm cover people who moan, sing or whistle along with their headphones or just because? How about those who obnoxiously yap on their phone while they are supposed to be working out?

That would be a nice thing to have.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/gym-tells-woman-to-cover-up-because-her-‘toned-body’-intimidated-others-211926273.html?vp=1

I would bet my right arm that the staff did NOT tell her that "her fit body was intimidating others". Give me a break. Her body is very much NOT special...certainly nothing intimidating about it. I expect that they DID tell her that she needed to cover her midriff. And I agree with this being a proper dress code for a gym. There are many people that go to a gym that are not really all that comfortable there, and they feel like loud noises, grunting, and tummy-baring or cheek-baring attire is not a place that helps them focus on their own workout. I belong to a gym that I swear, anyone can wear anything in there....and no one says a word, but you can see the people stop and stare at some of the outfits the gals (and let's be clear - it usually IS the girls) wear in there. And you can see them watching themselves in the mirror. It's SO transparent...and I just shake my head. I would love for someone to walk up to these people and hand them a t-shirt. It's a gym. It's NOT the beach.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    how dare they dictate how in shape someone can be to work out there?

Pretty sure that was not the case. In fact, PF has already respnded to this:

Planet Fitness says it wasn't Austin's body that got her in trouble, but her non-compliance with the gym’s dress code policy, which “is enforced at the staff’s discretion.”

“In this particular instance, club staff received complaints from several members about Ms. Austin’s attire," McCall Gosselin, spokeswoman for Planet Fitness, told HLN in an e-mail Wednesday. "As a result, a staff member informed her of the dress code policy and also offered to provide her with a free T-shirt to complete her workout. Planet Fitness’ dress code policy is based solely on attire and not physique, as members of all shapes and sizes are welcome in our clubs.”

Planet Fitness is famously known as a place that discourages patrons from calling attention to themselves by doing things such as grunting and generally making a lot of noise while lifting weights, otherwise known as “lunking."

On its website, the gym says, “Planet Fitness is known for a lot of things -- our absurdly low prices, our Lunk Alarm, and most of all perhaps, for our Judgement Free Zone philosophy, which means members can relax, get in shape, and have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me, attitude that exists in too many gyms.”
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I belong and go four times a week and will continue to go. It works for me. ((shrug))
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/gym-tells-woman-to-cover-up-because-her-‘toned-body’-intimidated-others-211926273.html?vp=1

I would bet my right arm that the staff did NOT tell her that "her fit body was intimidating others". Give me a break. Her body is very much NOT special...certainly nothing intimidating about it. I expect that they DID tell her that she needed to cover her midriff. And I agree with this being a proper dress code for a gym. There are many people that go to a gym that are not really all that comfortable there, and they feel like loud noises, grunting, and tummy-baring or cheek-baring attire is not a place that helps them focus on their own workout. I belong to a gym that I swear, anyone can wear anything in there....and no one says a word, but you can see the people stop and stare at some of the outfits the gals (and let's be clear - it usually IS the girls) wear in there. And you can see them watching themselves in the mirror. It's SO transparent...and I just shake my head. I would love for someone to walk up to these people and hand them a t-shirt. It's a gym. It's NOT the beach.

Agreed. While not all gyms have such strict rules on the dress code, I'd be a substantial sum of money that it was her attire and not her body that got her reprimanded. If it was a tubby guy who showed up shirtless and wearing a speedo, would PF be guilty of fat shaming when they told him he violated the dress code and needed to change his attire? Of course not.

I know several guys who used to be trainers at PF and they had to enforce the rules when they worked there, even if they considered them silly. For instance, you were only allowed to use the plates on the smith machine in question and you weren't allowed to take plates from other smith machines - in short, you were capped as to how much weight you could put on the machine, even if you could safely lift more than that. Were they fit shaming those guys when they told them they couldn't squat heavier weights on the smith machine? No, they were just enforcing the rules. Stupid rules, yes, but that's what you get when you join PF. Lots of stupid rules - and free pizza/bagels. But for all the stupid rules they had to enforce, I never once heard someone tell me that the gym expected them to mock or reprimand people because of their fitness level. Some of the rules might discourage fit people from using PF, sure, but that's different than actively going after those people.

Honestly I don't understand why these threads are so popular. If you don't like PF, don't go to PF. I would hate a gym with such arbitrary rules (and so many arbitrary rules, for that matter) and so I don't go to PF. It's really that simple. My own $0.02, but people just love to rant about PF and here they're trying to create a story out of nothing.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    LOL Planet Fitness has a free pizza and bagel night every month for members...enough said

Yeah, I heard they force anyone who's a member to eat that pizza, too! Because they want to keep their customers fat so they keep coming back. It's a great business model!

I guess I showed them. I've belonged to PF for 6 years and I've never eaten the pizza on pizza night. Not because I don't want to, I LOVE pizza and eat it at least once a week, but too many grubby hands are touching it which grosses me out.
  • neutralmilkhotel83
    Options
    What offends me most is how people jump to outrage before actually understanding the situation.

Its as if they read a headline and go "OH... I'M SO ANGRY... HULK SMASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I heard they force anyone who's a member to eat that pizza, too! Because they want to keep their customers fat so they keep coming back. It's a great business model!

Yeah, you have to be careful. I heard it's 10 lashes for not eating the pizza on pizza night. :huh: