Whats the difference between running and jogging

Options

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    If there was a definition - which there isn't - I would say Jogging is a subset of running. Jogging would be running at a constant, low level effort.

Alternate words for Jogging would include: Recover Run, Social Run, Run at the speed of chat, 50%-60% effort

Your entire work out could be a jog, or you could jog as a warm up or between high intensity efforts during interval training.

Joggernaut is a word I just made up for a jogger who knocks over everything and everyone in their path

Joga is another word I made up to describe the meditative state which can be achieved whilst distance running

Jogurt is a misspelling of Yogurt.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I always though Jogging was running for exercise.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I consider jogging to be an 11-12 minute mile pace, and running to be an 8,9, 10 minute mile pace. I think of race walking as a 12-13 minute mile pace.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Probably a couple hundred dollars from what I can tell based off the outfits of the "runners" and "joggers" I see when I'm out biking.
    baw ha ah aha ha- that's hysterical.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    No difference. At all. Those who "jog" are running. Maybe your husband can join you on your "jog," if he thinks it's so easy. Encouragement is key to success. You're doing well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

There is a definitive definition:

One foot in contact with the ground at all times during the stride= walking

Both feet leave the ground at the same time during the stride=Running

Physiologically, there is no such thing as "jogging".

^^^^^ This
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Probably a couple hundred dollars from what I can tell based off the outfits of the "runners" and "joggers" I see when I'm out biking.

Runsie cost close to $98 at Lululemon.

Will that be considered a "runner" or "jogger"?

:laugh: I loved your logic though.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Whats the difference between running and jogging

Diction.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Jogging- Fast walking, slow running... This is just my definition lol.

we call it "yogging" in the military- and it's typically associated with your speed and intent.

One walks, or one runs. There is nothing in between.

In the military environment walking whilst wearing fighting order and a daysac would be described as a Yomp; 5mph over rough ground like Dartmoor.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I consider jogging to be an 11-12 minute mile pace, and running to be an 8,9, 10 minute mile pace. I think of race walking as a 12-13 minute mile pace.

Then what do you consider 5, 6 and 7 minute pace? Flying?

It's all relative to the individual's pace. I may saying I'm jogging during a recovery run.

I'd never tell anyone else that they are jogging. It's all running.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Ever see an 8min/mi racewalker? I have, and I was running next to them.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    There's only one difference between runners and joggers. You're not going to insult a jogger by calling him a runner.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Jogging- Fast walking, slow running... This is just my definition lol.

we call it "yogging" in the military- and it's typically associated with your speed and intent.

One walks, or one runs. There is nothing in between.

In the military environment walking whilst wearing fighting order and a daysac would be described as a Yomp; 5mph over rough ground like Dartmoor.

says you- rucking is it's own thing. We always called it yogging for an easy jog.

If you had a ruck sack- you were rucking- and nothing else.

I still call one a run and one a yog.

I'm completely competent in understanding that I'm technically "running" but if I tell my bestie I'm going running when I have no intention of going RUNNING- but merely shuffling/yogging- she's going to be pissed.

In my world- there IS a difference. I honestly don't care about what any one else's world is.. you are running walking- flying- sprinting- it's a way of communicating what you're doing with someone. You have the same words or you don't. My friends know what I mean- and they did back then.

you are free to call it whatever you like. I will continue to lable my workouts as
    walking-
    yogging-
    running-
    sprints.

You are under no obligation to agree or like it.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If it's just about effort, then I've been a runner since day 1, when I was running a 17+ minute mile. Yes, that's slower than most people walk, but I weighed 250 pounds, had to ice my feet and ankles after every run, eat ibuprofen like they were skittles, and take at least 2 days between runs to recover.

I felt discouraged about it at first, and said things like, "I'm just jogging" since I was so slow and could only run for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Then I realized that I was pushing my edges out farther and farther, just like an Olympic athlete. Yes, an elite runner can run a marathon with a sub-10 minute mile, but if she needs ice and painkillers and days of rest after her marathon, then we're doing the same workout.

After I thought about that, I started treating myself like an athlete: eating lots of food, training hard (three 15 minute miles is training hard when you're 200+ pounds), using recovery therapies, and focusing on performance instead of just weight loss.

I've been running since January 2013, and I'm still slow (my fastest mile pace is about 10:30), but who cares? My first half marathon is coming up at the end of September, and if I can make it under 3 hours, I'll consider that a win.

So if we're going on mile time, I'm "just a jogger." But if we're going on effort, passion, and training goals, then I'm a runner.

I like "runner" better. :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Oooohhhhh touchy...

Take it you were Air Force then ;)
  • JoRocka
    Options

Oooohhhhh touchy...

Take it you were Air Force then ;)

lulz nopes.

I ran with Army/USMC.

Are you kidding- the AF doesn't ruck :tongue:
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Joggers don't get pissed when you call them runners.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Fair point, you don't need them when you're billeted in a five star hotel rather than a PB
  • JoRocka
    Options

Fair point, you don't need them when you're billeted in a five star hotel rather than a PB

precisely!