Whats the difference between running and jogging

Options
12346»

Replies

• brustman1369
    brustman1369 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Joggers are the ones who bounce around at stoplights. Runners stand there looking pissed.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Joggers are the ones who bounce around at stoplights. Runners stand there looking pissed.

What are the ones that just stand there patiently waiting for the light to turn?
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    All semantics. Different people have tried to come up with definitions, but none of them are definitive. Essentially jogging is a lower intensity form of running but how that gets defined isn't universally accepted.

Personally, I tend to think I jog on my recovery days and run the others. But that is just me.

Some people have started to consider or use it as an insult, which i guess was inevitable. I would call somebody out who told someone they were only jogging and not running. Pure ignorance and sounds like an attempt to knock the runner down.

So don't worry, it's a not clearly defined subset of running.

There is a definitive definition:

One foot in contact with the ground at all times during the stride= walking

Both feet leave the ground at the same time during the stride=Running

Physiologically, there is no such thing as "jogging".

Unless you're a horse.

^ THIS!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    All semantics. Different people have tried to come up with definitions, but none of them are definitive. Essentially jogging is a lower intensity form of running but how that gets defined isn't universally accepted.

Personally, I tend to think I jog on my recovery days and run the others. But that is just me.

Some people have started to consider or use it as an insult, which i guess was inevitable. I would call somebody out who told someone they were only jogging and not running. Pure ignorance and sounds like an attempt to knock the runner down.

Unless you're a horse.

^ THIS!

But technically isn't trotting the thing- not jogging?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i always thought of it as joggers are more recreational about it, runners are doing it to participate in races or to improve their athleticism for their sport.

sort of like the difference between some who cooks and someone who is a chef
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

What are the ones that just stand there patiently waiting for the light to turn?

Canadians
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Jogging is slower running. But guess what you are still running ... same thing, just without quite the same speed and effort.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Unless you're a horse.

^ THIS!

It's trotting if you ride English, it's jogging if you ride Western. (If you're going faster, it's cantering in the English traditions and loping in the Western ones.)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I've considered myself a runner since day one. I have friends that run at a MUCH slower pace than I do and they consider themselves runners. I also have friends that run at my pace, or faster, that say they are jogging. I think it is all semantics.

I think people in my life -- I wouldn't speak for anyone else -- that refer to jogging are the ones that have no intention of trying to go faster or farther. A friend said to me the other day, "Running has been great for you. I'd like to try, but I think I would have to just jog. I'm not cut out for running." I couldn't quite figure out that logic, but I think it is what I referenced above. She wants a stress reliever, a slow and comfortable pace that is more about enjoying the outdoors and burning off some energy. She has no intention of racing, pushing or trying to go faster/further. That's the best I can figure.

I also find that the people (again, only in my life) that say they jog are embarassed about their pace/speed in comparison to others. I make a point EVERY TIME someone refers to jogging in a negative light to say, "Jogging is running!" I really hate when people use the term jogging as a negative. Are your feet moving? Are you sweating? Are you feeling like a runner? Yeah - cuz you are. I agree with the statement above about your husband joining you if he thinks jogging is so easy. :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Unless you're a horse.

^ THIS!

It's trotting if you ride English, it's jogging if you ride Western. (If you're going faster, it's cantering in the English traditions and loping in the Western ones.)

I'd beg to differ- both should have a working trot- just because you put a saddle with a horn on the horse doesn't mean the horse shouldn't be able to actually trot.

I think what they have done with western classes trotting is just insane- same with the lope- which I would consider a separate gate from a canter, but yes- I know they are both 3 beat gates. Actually I wouldn't consider it a gate at all- they all look like lame ducks limping around the arena.

it's a useless test of a horse's abilities. I can't stand it.