What's the point? Solitary Fat Woman.

Options

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I just want to reiterate for people who aren't bothering to read this thread in its entirety. I'm not quitting my weightloss. I didn't say that, I haven't said that in any of my comments. I'm not looking for "weight loss inspiration." There is no struggle in that department.

This is solely about the point in using MFP itself.

I have in no way, shape, or form indicated that I was quitting the attempt to get healthy. I made one comment about how it can be hard to know that 100 pounds down is still 150 from the goal, but I didn't say that it was stopping me. So I don't understand why people keep trying to motivate me to keep losing weight on this thread like I'm about to go give it all up.

Frankly, after the weightloss nearly killing me twice now, and all the stuff I have dealt with, it would be pretty stupid to give up on it. I have literally sacrificed organs for this sometimes-seeming-pipe-dream. If I give up, I lost them for absolutely nothing.

Read my blog if you want to know those details. This was just me wondering about the merit of continuing on MFP vs. going it alone.

I think you're having a bad day (week? month? life?), aren't expressing yourself clearly, and seem to be dismissing the very people who have taken their time to try and offer the kind of support you say you're not getting from the MFP community.

Your posts so far in this thread are coming off very ungrateful and borderline rude.

That was what my "nevermind" was. You pretty much said what I decided not to say.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're not interested in hearing from people who have built themselves fit bodies.
    And you're resentful of people who are unfit and not working on it.

So the people you're looking for, I guess, are successful but not too successful??

It's a little strange to me, and I think what's upsetting you is inside.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I just want to reiterate for people who aren't bothering to read this thread in its entirety. I'm not quitting my weightloss. I didn't say that, I haven't said that in any of my comments. I'm not looking for "weight loss inspiration." There is no struggle in that department.

I have in no way, shape, or form indicated that I was quitting the attempt to get healthy. I made one comment about how it can be hard to know that 100 pounds down is still 150 from the goal, but I didn't say that it was stopping me. So I don't understand why people keep trying to motivate me to keep losing weight on this thread like I'm about to go give it all up.

Frankly, after the weightloss nearly killing me twice now, and all the stuff I have dealt with, it would be pretty stupid to give up on it. I have literally sacrificed organs for this sometimes-seeming-pipe-dream. If I give up, I lost them for absolutely nothing.

Read my blog if you want to know those details. This was just me wondering about the merit of continuing on MFP vs. going it alone.

If you don't use MFP, how will you track your calories?

That was my thought.

So just use the calorie counting tool. And if you think people aren't responding properly to your post, then *shrug*. I've got nothing else. At least people came in here to offer you help and encouragement. Your ingratitude for that is...meh. Whatever. Good luck.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry youre upset, OP. If I took offense or got dejected anytime someone thought my advice or feedback was crap, I'd spend most of my time feeling miserable and sorry for myself. People disagree with me often on MFP.

Sometimes people don't want advice, solicited or not. I am not responsible for other people's feelings, and they are not responsible for mine.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that a lot of the thin people here who talk like they know it all used to be super fat people who got lean and are just sharing their experiences about what works and what doesn't work, and really do know a lot and just want to share what they've learned over the years.

Don't assume that what you see in their avatar pic is what they've always been like. Some people here have successfully lost a huge amount of weight.......... even many who've not lost such impressive amounts have still succeeded and have a lot of useful information to share.

Yes, I know... What I was saying is that people take my stats or my goal and go, there's no way she knows anything about anything and they lecture me about my goals and my calories and everything without prompt. I can accept that anyone on here can bring good info to the table... I just wish more people did too.

Are you psychic? How do you know what they're thinking? There's no tone of voice on the internet, and it's very easy to read tone of voice into posts that isn't there. So there's no way you can possibly know that they're thinking that you don't know anything about anything. If someone disagrees with someone else's post, it's likely that the only thing they gave any thought to at all is the part of the post they disagree with.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

People are just trying to reach out to you in the best way that they know how. Maybe we are not saying the words that you need to hear but IMO they were words spoken from their hearts.

Someone once said to me that they didn't know what to say when I was going through some trials...it didn't matter to me if they said the right words or not...what mattered is that they cared enough to reach out.

Sometimes you have to go past the words and see what is in another persons heart.

^^^^ this is fantastic advice
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound sad, but every morning before I make my morning cup of coffee, I cruise the success boards, look at every "fat" person gone skinny, read their stories, and then go about my day. That, for some reason, is more motivating than anything I have yet to do. It makes me think about every piece of food I am about to put in my mouth. It makes me take out the fish for dinner, even if I have to make something separate for the rest of my family (hubby and three kids under 5). It also makes me work out, even when I would rather gnaw off my own hand. That just works for me. A weight loss journey is finding you, finding what works for you and what doesn't. Friends are suppose to help. If they are not, delete them. I have deleted a number of people because of in activity, or negativity. Friend me if you want, or don't. Depends on the person you want to be.

SW 288
    CW 212
    GW 150

Sincere question...

Why are you making separate dinners for yourself and the rest of the family? You're not a short-order cook and shouldn't be treated like one. Wouldn't it make sense that if you're making something healthy for yourself that it would be a good idea to make something healthy for the rest of the family? ...start them out right so they don't have to deal with "fixing" bad eating habits later in life? If you're worried about the ages of the kids and getting them to eat healthy foods, don't worry so much. They can be trained to like good foods. My sister did it with my 2 nephews, so I know it's possible. It just takes discipline and patience.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I read your post and the entire thread prior to responding.
    I did not assume you were quitting being healthy I focused on MFP and the value I found outside of the calorie counting as well as how people can be supportive outside of the immediate personal equivalence. I think there is merit in the community. I hope you find it too. If not, if the place has no interconnecting value for you, then I hope you find support in the "real world"; it's hard to go forward and change without information and interactions.

What are your expectation of MFP, and the community, if you continue using it?
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that a lot of the thin people here who talk like they know it all used to be super fat people who got lean and are just sharing their experiences about what works and what doesn't work, and really do know a lot and just want to share what they've learned over the years.

Don't assume that what you see in their avatar pic is what they've always been like. Some people here have successfully lost a huge amount of weight.......... even many who've not lost such impressive amounts have still succeeded and have a lot of useful information to share.

Yes, I know... What I was saying is that people take my stats or my goal and go, there's no way she knows anything about anything and they lecture me about my goals and my calories and everything without prompt. I can accept that anyone on here can bring good info to the table... I just wish more people did too.

I had a great reply for this, went to post the reply, and my computer locked up. :grumble: I'll try again...

My situation isn't exactly the same as yours, but I do understand what you're saying. I started MFP about 3 1/2 years ago. I lost about 25 pounds in about 40 days. My body's just always adjusted quickly (an unintentional 20 pound gain/loss nearly every month when I was active in sports 7 days a week). I'm fortunate in that regard. Life and untreated injuries happened, over time. The pounds came back and they brought friends with them. So, even though I've lost 12 pounds over the past 45 days or so, my tracker still says I haven't lost any weight because I'm now heavier than I was when I originally started my MFP account. I think people see that "0 pounds lost", don't know the whole story (unless we're friends outside of MFP, too), disregard any of the advice I give... even though it's the same advice I've used to lose weight twice, and go on to give me advice... even though I wasn't the one asking for it. "Uh, thanks, but no thanks. I'm not training to become a triathlete. I don't want to follow your insane diet plan and workout schedule. I'm rehabbing my back and knees, so I'm going to continue my workout plan of stretching, PT, housework, and caring for my dog. I don't care that you think my weight loss is just muscle loss and I need to use weights. I can barely use my body weight. What makes you think I can add anything else to it without further injuring myself?" (my most common response to unsolicited advice)

Anyway, if you want to add a straight-shooter to your friend list, go ahead and add me. I don't sugar-coat things, but I'm not mean about the advice I give, when it's wanted.
  • sigridolsen
    sigridolsen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a super fat man who is taking his weight loss super seriously.

And I'm old enough to know I don't know much about anything. My years of absolute certainty are decades behind me now, alas!

Like you, I don't really get involved in the social side of MFP. I use it to log my food and track my progress. However, I have found that participating in some of the group challenges has engaged me.

Don't give up! Logging every day does help me, maybe it will help you too.

Frank (FTW37)
  • sigridolsen
    sigridolsen Posts: 33 Member
    Options

And I'm old enough to know I don't know much about anything. My years of absolute certainty are decades behind me now, alas!

Like you, I don't really get involved in the social side of MFP. I use it to log my food and track my progress. However, I have found that participating in some of the group challenges has engaged me.

Frank (FTW37)
    Wow Frank those are a lot of pounds lost. With respect to the social side of MFP… I can't be bothered to read most of it because reading MFP and increasing my time in front of a computer decreases how much time I am out there walking, exercising or getting things done. Keep working at it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I found MFP to not only be a great tool to track my intake with but have connected with and met other fellow MFP'ers in person. They have turned out to be awesome people and I am grateful for. I've done activities, like walks, races and other fun things that otherwise I would still do but it would be less fun going at it alone.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

There are other sites that the OP could use. I used one before I came here. The reason why I changed was that they didn't have a recipe builder. Before I started using an online app I did it manually. So it can be done.

If I had to guess IMO the OP has just hit a low time in her journey. It gets really hard along the way and we each have different ways of getting through those times. Her opening post was confusing as to what she was upset about...I think at first we all got it wrong.

That being said...I think that most who posted here meant well by what they replied...it just wasn't what she wanted nor obviously what she needed to hear.
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Girl, I don't really know what kind of answers you are looking for...because if I knew, I would type them right now.

Your wondering if you should stay with MFP or not. That is totally up to you. You can still use MFP and just log your food and exercise without anyone else being aware that your on the site. I don't understand what you are truly looking for? Are you wanting everyone on MFP to beg you to stay or to tell you what to do? There is no magical answers. I have read everything on this thread and still have no idea what you are looking for. There are so many people here supporting you in this thread alone...what are you really wanting?

I must tell you that I have a cousin who lost over 250 lbs. She started a program with a physician that called himself the fat doctor. My cousin lost all of her weight entirely to fast. She ended up having some of her hair fall out, having hormonal problems, blood clots and other major medical issues. She lost the weight way too fast! She has since gained the weight back plus about 150 lbs. more on top of that. So please, take it slowly and know there will be bumps in the road. Live in the present and don't think about how much you will have lost in a year. Stay focused on the here and now...this very moment.

I told you the story about my cousin to let you know you are not alone in your struggles. Losing weight slowly is the right approach in my opinion. I just wish I new what you wanted from all of us on MFP? Only you can decide if you want to stay on MFP or not.

I have 120 lbs. to lose. I have oodles of health problems and have had two major back surgeries which almost left me in a wheelchair. I realize I don't have as much as you to lose, but I still have a long journey ahead of me. I'm trying to live in the moment and not try to jump to far into the future. You must enjoy your life at this very moment and find some sort of balance.

I really wish you success. The only person that can really answer your questions is yourself. We here on MFP can only make suggestions and encourage you. You need to dig deep inside of yourself to find the answers you are so desperately search for.

So, hold your head high and keep your chin up! Believe in yourself and make all your wishes come true by reaching for the stars. Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

There are other sites that the OP could use. I used one before I came here. The reason why I changed was that they didn't have a recipe builder. Before I started using an online app I did it manually. So it can be done.

If I had to guess IMO the OP has just hit a low time in her journey. It gets really hard along the way and we each have different ways of getting through those times. Her opening post was confusing as to what she was upset about...I think at first we all got it wrong.

That being said...I think that most who posted here meant well by what they replied...it just wasn't what she wanted nor obviously what she needed to hear.

I am well aware that there are other tracking sites. The subtle message in my post is that reducing net calorie intake is the key to all successful weight loss approaches. Tracking calories is an excellent way to do this.

I used this site to lose the weight I wanted to lose for six months before I even knew there were forums here. Sometimes I wish I could go back and choose the blue pill instead of the red pill.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    This. Some people are snark and have to call people wrong to be right.

A few have eating disorders.

Most are normal and you can learn from them.

Merely logging food 3 times daily and exercise equipment times daily reminds me that a big cookies costs me a 3 mile run.

Frank (FTW37)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    1. Are you projecting or are they really doing this? The only time I ever look at someone's photo or weight is if the are trying to go under a reasonable weight.

2. Why do you care? This week I took a scary moral stand n social media and people said I was stupid. Made lots of nonsensical comments. Said they wouldn't associate w someone that thought like that. Had done no original research and dismissed mine. I was saddened and shocked enough that my hands trembled a little. In the end i was pround of my compassion and courage. I also forgot to eat lunch and burned 750 calories. Win. Win. Win..

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    What's the point?

My heart is heavy, I guess. I'm struggling to see the point in being social while working the fat off. I can't seem to find anyone else of my comparable efforts and plan that has any interest in doing anything other than commiserating and being validated in their excuses for not doing what they admit they know they should be doing.

This is in my original post, and I feel that this is written rather clearly. Maybe I'm wrong about the clarity aspect, but I don't know how else to put it.

I'm not ungrateful. I had a terrible day yesterday. I'm a blunt person. Some take that bluntness as rude, but that's not the intention. Sometimes autism is a b!tch. I just really needed someone to give me a reason that a social site like MFP was worthwhile over other options. Ultimately, I got some reasons, in PMs mostly.

I came to this site with a group of friends, all of us looking to lose. I'm the only one left. Sometimes I don't know why I stay here. It's interesting to me that several people seemed to really understand what I was trying to say, while others were missing it. I guess that's the ambiguity of written communication.

Anyway, I'm sorry for coming off rude and ungrateful, cuz it's not the case. Thank you to everyone that sent PMs and requests. I'm still struggling with a sense of loss and despair today, of unknown origin, but I'll keep it to myself.

P.S. To answer the "how do you know" people are discrediting me for being so heavy... Well, because they flat out say it. There's rarely subtlety involved. And it sucks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's the point?

My heart is heavy, I guess. I'm struggling to see the point in being social while working the fat off. I can't seem to find anyone else of my comparable efforts and plan that has any interest in doing anything other than commiserating and being validated in their excuses for not doing what they admit they know they should be doing.

This is in my original post, and I feel that this is written rather clearly. Maybe I'm wrong about the clarity aspect, but I don't know how else to put it.

I'm not ungrateful. I had a terrible day yesterday. I'm a blunt person. Some take that bluntness as rude, but that's not the intention. Sometimes autism is a b!tch. I just really needed someone to give me a reason that a social site like MFP was worthwhile over other options. Ultimately, I got some reasons, in PMs mostly.

I came to this site with a group of friends, all of us looking to lose. I'm the only one left. Sometimes I don't know why I stay here. It's interesting to me that several people seemed to really understand what I was trying to say, while others were missing it. I guess that's the ambiguity of written communication.

Anyway, I'm sorry for coming off rude and ungrateful, cuz it's not the case. Thank you to everyone that sent PMs and requests. I'm still struggling with a sense of loss and despair today, of unknown origin, but I'll keep it to myself.

P.S. To answer the "how do you know" people are discrediting me for being so heavy... Well, because they flat out say it. There's rarely subtlety involved. And it sucks.

I'm glad you're still here today.