How much should you tip your professor after finals?

Options
Perplexities
Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
Do you base it on difficulty of the class or a percentage of the actual class cost?

I always imagined more advanced classes would entail more work for the professor so I've been thinking maybe you should tip more for those?
They usually cost more as well though.

Typically I do 15% of the course registration fee, but I would like to know what's the acceptable standard.

here's a useful link:

http://www.indiana.edu/~kruschke/lab/tipping.html

Provides the basic outline in the tipping process for college courses

Replies

• cheekymcgee
    cheekymcgee Posts: 140
    Options
    I figured that's what sexual favors were for!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    What?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    REFERENCES:

De Beers, F. 1980. "Establishing Arbitrary Rules of Thumb in the Diamond Market," Journal of Worldwide Monopolies, Capetown, South Africa, Vol 45, No. 2, pp 15-27.

Greenspan, A. 1992. "****ing with the U.S. Economy," in Proceedings of The World Economy as a Board Game, Washington D.C., Vol 2, pp 120-134.

O'Neill T. (Tip). 1987. "Congressional Ethics and Other Myths," Journal for Retired Congressmen, Cayman Islands, Vol 26, 787 pp 1-245.

:drinker:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Ummmm.....sending my students your way! lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I can't give him just the tip because I'm a girl.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am starting my PhD program in the Fall, so I really hope that tipping professors becomes a "thing." :laugh:
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    ...people tip professors?
    This is news to me.
    With tuition being between $30,000- $50,000 in the United States, I can't imagine tipping to be customary.
  • PamelaGailJacobucci
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know there was such a thing as tipping professors. Learn something new every day!
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I only do 15% if it's a mediocre course. For general rule of thumb, I'll do AT LEAST 20% if the class was good. Or if the professor was hot. Whichever.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You don't. A succint, courteous "Thank you" is always appropriate.
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the grade, obviously..
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahahahaha :laugh:
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options

This....
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A special thanks to Dr. Tony (The Palm) Dalrymple for sharing his depth of knowledge about academic tipping. Tony is presently promoting a "tipping pyramid scheme" at the University of Delaware. Those who feel they have benefited by reading this article may send tips to the author in care of The Journal of Irreproducible Results.

Oooh... I get it now.:laugh:
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am a retired university professor and I'm astonished!!!! Never did I get a tip from a student!!! I received trivial little objects related to the profession (nursing) at the end of some semesters. Isn't that what your tuition is for, the professor's salary???? What is wrong with education today?????????? I've only been retired for 3 years and can't imagine that tipping is expected or that students would feel obligated to do so!! Most students just eek by during their college years, I did, and I find it VERY offensive to think that a student would even feel ANY sort of pressure to tip them for a workload that they are paid for.

Some info that you may find useful: the salary of an entry level faculty, at the instructor level at the university that I taught at (a state affiliated university) was $41,000. Now remember that the next step is assistant professor and then associate professor and then full professor (the top of the barrel). The salaries increase laterally, so entry for an assistant was in the 50s, associate + mid to high 50s and full was 60-70. Most universities max out full professors (the highest paid position) over $100,000. This info is based on the union contract that I was very active in. This is not to say that I am an authority and do NOT want HATE responses for the info that I have provided. The purpose is to inform you that faculty are well compensated for your education. I spent over 80 hours per week in the classroom, student contact on the clinical area and correcting paperwork, test analysis and classroom prep and I still felt that I was well compensated (don't forget the benefits-medical, etc... and the perk of having summers off, and some faculty get traditional jobs over the summer). I actually worked another part time job, as a nurse, during my faculty tenure, to remain current in the field, so I could "practice what I preached".

I am in no way trashing university faculty, loved , loved, loved my job. I'm not a saint or a martyr. This just hit a nerve!!!! I'm sure that there are institutions that do NOT compensate faculty well. But my feeling is a student is there to learn, I was there to facilitate that and you paid me to do my job, period. NO TIP REQURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Perplexities
    Options
    I am a retired university professor and I'm astonished!!!! Never did I get a tip from a student!!! I received trivial little objects related to the profession (nursing) at the end of some semesters. Isn't that what your tuition is for, the professor's salary???? What is wrong with education today?????????? I've only been retired for 3 years and can't imagine that tipping is expected or that students would feel obligated to do so!! Most students just eek by during their college years, I did, and I find it VERY offensive to think that a student would even feel ANY sort of pressure to tip them for a workload that they are paid for.

Some info that you may find useful: the salary of an entry level faculty, at the instructor level at the university that I taught at (a state affiliated university) was $41,000. Now remember that the next step is assistant professor and then associate professor and then full professor (the top of the barrel). The salaries increase laterally, so entry for an assistant was in the 50s, associate + mid to high 50s and full was 60-70. Most universities max out full professors (the highest paid position) over $100,000. This info is based on the union contract that I was very active in. This is not to say that I am an authority and do NOT want HATE responses for the info that I have provided. The purpose is to inform you that faculty are well compensated for your education. I spent over 80 hours per week in the classroom, student contact on the clinical area and correcting paperwork, test analysis and classroom prep and I still felt that I was well compensated (don't forget the benefits-medical, etc... and the perk of having summers off, and some faculty get traditional jobs over the summer). I actually worked another part time job, as a nurse, during my faculty tenure, to remain current in the field, so I could "practice what I preached".

I am in no way trashing university faculty, loved , loved, loved my job. I'm not a saint or a martyr. This just hit a nerve!!!! I'm sure that there are institutions that do NOT compensate faculty well. But my feeling is a student is there to learn, I was there to facilitate that and you paid me to do my job, period. NO TIP REQURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So 15% is too much?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    accidental *kitten* is the answer.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It is unnecessary!!!!!!! 0%!!!!!! Why??????
  • Perplexities
    Options

This....

That's seems rather unethical, I assume you're not serious?