How much should you tip your professor after finals?

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am a retired university professor and I'm astonished!!!! Never did I get a tip from a student!!! I received trivial little objects related to the profession (nursing) at the end of some semesters. Isn't that what your tuition is for, the professor's salary???? What is wrong with education today?????????? I've only been retired for 3 years and can't imagine that tipping is expected or that students would feel obligated to do so!! Most students just eek by during their college years, I did, and I find it VERY offensive to think that a student would even feel ANY sort of pressure to tip them for a workload that they are paid for.

Some info that you may find useful: the salary of an entry level faculty, at the instructor level at the university that I taught at (a state affiliated university) was $41,000. Now remember that the next step is assistant professor and then associate professor and then full professor (the top of the barrel). The salaries increase laterally, so entry for an assistant was in the 50s, associate + mid to high 50s and full was 60-70. Most universities max out full professors (the highest paid position) over $100,000. This info is based on the union contract that I was very active in. This is not to say that I am an authority and do NOT want HATE responses for the info that I have provided. The purpose is to inform you that faculty are well compensated for your education. I spent over 80 hours per week in the classroom, student contact on the clinical area and correcting paperwork, test analysis and classroom prep and I still felt that I was well compensated (don't forget the benefits-medical, etc... and the perk of having summers off, and some faculty get traditional jobs over the summer). I actually worked another part time job, as a nurse, during my faculty tenure, to remain current in the field, so I could "practice what I preached".

I am in no way trashing university faculty, loved , loved, loved my job. I'm not a saint or a martyr. This just hit a nerve!!!! I'm sure that there are institutions that do NOT compensate faculty well. But my feeling is a student is there to learn, I was there to facilitate that and you paid me to do my job, period. NO TIP REQURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So 15% is too much?

:laugh:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I am a retired university professor and I'm astonished!!!! Never did I get a tip from a student!!! I received trivial little objects related to the profession (nursing) at the end of some semesters. Isn't that what your tuition is for, the professor's salary???? What is wrong with education today?????????? I've only been retired for 3 years and can't imagine that tipping is expected or that students would feel obligated to do so!! Most students just eek by during their college years, I did, and I find it VERY offensive to think that a student would even feel ANY sort of pressure to tip them for a workload that they are paid for.

Some info that you may find useful: the salary of an entry level faculty, at the instructor level at the university that I taught at (a state affiliated university) was $41,000. Now remember that the next step is assistant professor and then associate professor and then full professor (the top of the barrel). The salaries increase laterally, so entry for an assistant was in the 50s, associate + mid to high 50s and full was 60-70. Most universities max out full professors (the highest paid position) over $100,000. This info is based on the union contract that I was very active in. This is not to say that I am an authority and do NOT want HATE responses for the info that I have provided. The purpose is to inform you that faculty are well compensated for your education. I spent over 80 hours per week in the classroom, student contact on the clinical area and correcting paperwork, test analysis and classroom prep and I still felt that I was well compensated (don't forget the benefits-medical, etc... and the perk of having summers off, and some faculty get traditional jobs over the summer). I actually worked another part time job, as a nurse, during my faculty tenure, to remain current in the field, so I could "practice what I preached".

I am in no way trashing university faculty, loved , loved, loved my job. I'm not a saint or a martyr. This just hit a nerve!!!! I'm sure that there are institutions that do NOT compensate faculty well. But my feeling is a student is there to learn, I was there to facilitate that and you paid me to do my job, period. NO TIP REQURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whoooosh, right over your head.....

BTW - many, if not most, recently hired (as in the past 10 years) community college and university professors are adjunct. They travel to multiple schools, work part time at each making not much money, and have no benefits. Things have changed.
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It is unnecessary!!!!!!! 0%!!!!!! Why??????

I understand you're probably a bit sorry that you retired a few years before tipping your previous profession became common place, but I don't think it's fair for you to take away from current professors?

After all, as i'm sure you know education is very important.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I understand you're probably a bit sorry that you retired a few years before tipping your previous profession became common place, but I don't think it's fair for you to take away from current professors?

No, I actually retired early 50s. Education is extremely important and I'm still an advisor to my previous employer. Do what you must and what is expected by you and your current situation. Best wishes!
  • Perplexities
    Options

BTW - many, if not most, recently hired (as in the past 10 years) community college and university professors are adjunct. They travel to multiple schools, work part time at each making not much money, and have no benefits. Things have changed.

This.

My UNI professor made a huge speech about this coincidentally right after finals.

I hope he's doing okay. To be completely honest I regret only giving 15%.
  • Perplexities
    Options

No, I actually retired early 50s. Education is extremely important and I'm still an advisor to my previous employer. Do what you must and what is expected by you and your current situation. Best wishes!

Thank you, kind regards.

- Chlamydibrah
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I figured that's what sexual favors were for!

This....

That's seems rather unethical, I assume you're not serious?

That was the deal w my ethics professor so who am I to question him?
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can't give him just the tip because I'm a girl.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The best tip is to not harass your professor during office hours.
    If I was a professor, I'd want to lower the grade of anyone who spent more than 5 minutes in my office a semester (unless I liked them).
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Never heard of tipping your professor before. Sounds unethical.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This is sooooo stupid! You tip proportional to how much you need your grade to improve. Duh.
    Everybody knows that.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Not gonna tip my professors. It's my money and I'll spend it how I want. If professors feel they are being paid unfairly, they can go back to school and find a new career just like I am. ha!
  • Perplexities
    Options
    Not gonna tip my professors. It's my money and I'll spend it how I want. If professors feel they are being paid unfairly, they can go back to school and find a new career just like I am. ha!

Not even 15%, really?
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Not even 15%, really?

I said NO ---- REALLY!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The best tip is to not harass your professor during office hours.
    If I was a professor, I'd want to lower the grade of anyone who spent more than 5 minutes in my office a semester (unless I liked them).

My professors liked when I set up office hours to learn more.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I look around a bit during the test, and can tell roughly how many people are cheating. I give him a rough percentage after the test is over (since I'm usually one of the last ones to finish). I think that's one of the most valuable tips you can give a professor.

Btw you user name freaks me out. (Bio project...don't ask.)
  • TheFisherKing
    Options
    As a professor, I can attest that we are NOT allowed to take monetary compensation outside of our pay. We can be fired. I suggest you "tip" a plant, book/journal or anything less than 20 dollars. Or sleep with... never mind.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    If any of my professors expected me to tip them... they are plain out crazy. I'll put a damn 100% "freedom" tax on it and say your welcome for defending it. (As much as I hate that saying.)
  • yesdnil1990
    Options
    Im sorry, whut?

Surely the £27,000 tuition costs should be enough?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

This.

My UNI professor made a huge speech about this coincidentally right after finals.

I hope he's doing okay. To be completely honest I regret only giving 15%.

As you should. For shame. 15% is not a good tip anymore, 20-25% is the standard.