How much should you tip your professor after finals?

Options

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Omgosh, lol, these responses are so cute and funny!

I don't think "Cute and funny." are the right choice of words here.

I feel it's rather disheartening to know that people aren't aware of the fact that times have changed, and you SHOULD tip your professor, 10, 15 or 25% respectively.

I made this thread to find out what was deemed appropriate, and I learned a lot of people deem 15% to be the ideal amount, as have I.

I never imagined the response I'd get regarding people not tipping at all though, and the sexual innuendo?

I have attended two different universities in two different states, I have never seen anyone tip the professor. And you would expect to see that in California of all places.

Why should I have to tip him? He chose the field, not me.

Most students myself included do it discreetly, as to not be disrespectful of their professor and not give the wrong idea.

Did you read the EDU link provided in the original post?

The one with the awesome references?

Tipping advice from De Beers the diamond tyrant :laugh:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options

here's a useful link:

http://www.indiana.edu/~kruschke/lab/tipping.html

Provides the basic outline in the tipping process for college courses

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too funny!
    :drinker:
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I always assumed it was a gratuity....
  • mpowers_ku
    mpowers_ku Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Surely that article is tongue in cheek, I've been in academia over 20 years and have never once heard of, given or received a tip of any kind.
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Omgosh, lol, these responses are so cute and funny!

I don't think "Cute and funny." are the right choice of words here.

I feel it's rather disheartening to know that people aren't aware of the fact that times have changed, and you SHOULD tip your professor, 10, 15 or 25% respectively.

I made this thread to find out what was deemed appropriate, and I learned a lot of people deem 15% to be the ideal amount, as have I.

I never imagined the response I'd get regarding people not tipping at all though, and the sexual innuendo?

All kidding aside, if anyone learns of a gratuity made to an instructor and reports it, that instructor can be in trouble. I ALWAYS tell students who TRY to give money (especially at the holidays) that although I am flattered they liked the course enough to offer, I cannot accept and a perfect way to thank me is to write a fair review on ratemyprofessors.com. Easier than losing my job in NYC.

So students attempt to tip you, and you decline?

I've never had a professor decline a tip, maybe it's different here?

Most seem very appreciative, even when it's only 15% of course registration fees.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    BTW - many, if not most, recently hired (as in the past 10 years) community college and university professors are adjunct. They travel to multiple schools, work part time at each making not much money, and have no benefits. Things have changed.
    I can confirm, I am entry-level academia.

Things aren't THAT bad, certainly much better than surviving on a grad student's stipend, but certainly not as rosy as you would gather from Tinglesby's post. All my friends that ditched academia in favour of industry got better salaries that way. I haven't done so yet because I enjoy the work and atmosphere, but there's certainly a chance I will...

It must be said though that if you're a top (or at least extremely promising) researcher in a "hot" topic, then you can live on the research grants alone. The teaching is gravy.

Incidentally, my pay for a class is equal to 1.5x the tuition paid by a student for that class. If I have more than 2 students, I'm making the university a profit. True story.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just the tip, anything more gives me pain face...
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    BTW - many, if not most, recently hired (as in the past 10 years) community college and university professors are adjunct. They travel to multiple schools, work part time at each making not much money, and have no benefits. Things have changed.
    I can confirm, I am entry-level academia.

Things aren't THAT bad, certainly much better than surviving on a grad student's stipend, but certainly not as rosy as you would gather from Tinglesby's post. All my friends that ditched academia in favour of industry got better salaries that way. I haven't done so yet because I enjoy the work and atmosphere, but there's certainly a chance I will...

It must be said though that if you're a top (or at least extremely promising) researcher in a "hot" topic, then you can live on the research grants alone. The teaching is gravy.

Incidentally, my pay for a class is equal to 1.5x the tuition paid by a student for that class. If I have more than 2 students, I'm making the university a profit. True story.

I'd tip you, brah.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Brah......your originality is lacking and therefore so is your trolling. :laugh: Tipping your medical doctor and now your professor.......lol!! :smokin:
  • Perplexities
    Options
    Brah......your originality is lacking and therefore so is your trolling. :laugh: Tipping your medical doctor and now your professor.......lol!! :smokin:

Clearly you're confused, the aforementioned thread wasn't my thread.

Though I do in fact tip my dentist, like the majority of socially aware individuals.

Maybe it's time for a nap, Susan?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just figure the worse my grades get, the lower cut my shirt gets. It's always worked just fine for me...my grades always bounce right back up! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options
  • Perplexities
    Options
    I just figure the worse my grades get, the lower cut my shirt gets. It's always worked just fine for me! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

That seems.. unethical?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people wouldn't tip their professors. They only get paid 2.13 an hour. The money you pay to go to school is for the college, not the teacher. The tip is the salary of the professor. It is a service job.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I teach 7th and 8th grade. I've never gotten a tip, but I do have 28 Starbucks gift cards.
  • AlyMoniz
    AlyMoniz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    FYI, tipping your prof at the end of a semester is not something a majority of people do.

Things are very different in most other places...a large majority of places actually. Tipping a prof is something that is not done in a lot of places mainly due to the large amount of money that already spent on tuition, ever mind the additional expenses the student has to pay for that has nothing to do with the prof salary or however the university decides to pay them (i.e. books). In NE, that is not the norm since it is the prof job to teach, prepare for class, and make sure I, as a student, get my money's worth out of the course. They are not part of the wait-staff at a restaurant who is making not even 1/3 of minimum wage an hour and relay on my additional graduated at the end of the semester to live. They are there to teach you and prepare you for when you graduate. Period. Nothing more.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Just the tip, anything more gives me pain face...
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...........there you go STDbrah, there's your tip!!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    FYI, offering a tip is bad manners.
    The correct etiquette is to say that you would need some tutoring...
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    wouldnt it be more beneficial to tip prior the finals?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Im sure he takes a cut of the 1000's of dollars I pay for tuition.