Biggest nutrition/weight loss/fitness pet peeves?

Options

Replies

• ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    And I've never seen any where that let's you enter a recipe by weight.... Would be great if I did but I don't so if I make something I enter my recipe and it says serves 6 I measure until all 6 servings are all equal weight and then give the rest to my husband...

But I just entered a new recipe a bit ago and it never have an option for weight
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    And I've never seen any where that let's you enter a recipe by weight.... Would be great if I did but I don't so if I make something I enter my recipe and it says serves 6 I measure until all 6 servings are all equal weight and then give the rest to my husband...

But I just entered a new recipe a bit ago and it never have an option for weight

solution for this - write the serving size (however many grams) in the recipe title. Not perfect but better than nothing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I just had a HUGE HUGE HUGE fight with my husband the other day because he says I am being too obsessive because I won't eat ANY thing that doesn't go on the scale first... But yes, I must be wrong......

huh?
  • ALNoog
    Options

solution for this - write the serving size (however many grams) in the recipe title. Not perfect but better than nothing.

That's what I do on paper because it won't fit in the title :) I just weigh the entire recipe and then portion it out into equal portions based on weight... So it says 1 serving but it's a carefully weighed serving...
  • gia1993
    gia1993 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up!
  • ALNoog
    Options

I just had a HUGE HUGE HUGE fight with my husband the other day because he says I am being too obsessive because I won't eat ANY thing that doesn't go on the scale first... But yes, I must be wrong......

huh?

You constantly keep telling me I'm not weighing my food... But if I am doing it so much to the point my husband actually gets MAD that I am obsessing about weighing my food then obviously I'm weighing my food...
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just thought of another one.
    The amount of inaccurate nutritional information there is in the MFP database. I think there should be away to delete clearly incorrect entries if enough MFP members agree that it is wrong. I just realized after 3 months of using MFP that I have been under estimating my apple calories by about 30! SOOOOO annoyed. (Yes I know that I should have weighed my apple, but I eat it at work, and feel bringing my food scale to work with me to weigh the apple after I have cut it off the core is a bit over the top. My coworkers already think I am obsessive enough.) I wished I had realized a bit earlier on how inaccurate some of the entries are. Live and learn I guess!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

huh?

You constantly keep telling me I'm not weighing my food... But if I am doing it so much to the point my husband actually gets MAD that I am obsessing about weighing my food then obviously I'm weighing my food...

ok now you're taking this topic a little too seriously. Sheez, let it go, what SezxyStef thinks of how you log does not really matter in the long run does it? So much that you have to zealously argue your point to this extent on a message board? It's supposed to be a Pet Peeve thread not an Irate Tirade thread. yeesh.
  • ALNoog
    Options

huh?

ok now you're taking this topic a little too seriously. Sheez, let it go, what SexyStef thinks of how you log does not really matter in the long run does it? So much that you have to zealously argue your point to this extent on a message board? yeesh.

This isn't the first or second or third time... And I didn't ask for advice.... I'm losing just fine ... So yes it aggravates me... But thank GOD for the block button.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    - People who write loose instead of lose. Think about it this way. When you lose weight you are getting rid of something. GET RID OF THE SECOND O. When your pants becomes loose they have extra space. EXTRA SPACE TO ADD A SECOND O.

-

This is the best quote in the history of MFP.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve: People who shun Low Carbers. What works for me may not work for you, but I'm not you.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow, came across this thread...and the pages attached. It is amazing (and satisfying in a way) to see all the ones that share the same kind of peeves, and a few new ones that I hadn't thought of but in truth bug me too.

Perhaps there is hope with all these people here, if we can educate others around us, we can turn the tide.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve in relation to MFP is that whenever someone asks for assistance on diary/logging, it's automatically assumed that they're not logging correctly. I have been accused of using "generic homemade recipes from the database" when the reality is every single recipe I use, I have entered into the builder and portioned out and I actually know the calories in what I've eaten. I also weigh virtually everything I eat, even if it ends up recorded as "1/3 cup cheese" I know that that 1/3 cup recorded in my diary is 28g. I just don't make a new database entry for every damn thing that I eat. I know I know... I'm not the typical MFP user in this regard. It still bugs me :laugh:

Oh I HATE that one..... I get told that all the time..... I'm like I have a scale AND made my husband buy my FOUR sets of meshing cups... And I weigh all solids and measure all liquids and I agree.... If a package says how much if something I cups and grams and it shows on MFP in cups I STILL weigh it and them convert grams or lbs to cups..... Because MFP has it listed as cups!
    The oh your not really eating that or you just be wrong ... Drives me insane.... This isn't my first rodeo.... I never guess at how much I am eating and I track EVERY thing I eat...... So to be told no I don't drives me insane!!

then start creating entries based on the weights...you can't convert food from cups to grams back to cups and be accurate.

If your diary shows the words "generic", "homemade" or cups etc it appears as tho you aren't weighing..you might be but you still aren't logging accurately.

Because to be frank this one of my pet peeves...saying you weigh everything but when you look at the diary the entries don't reflect it...

And many MFPers wonder why my diary can only be seen by me . . . :noway:
  • ALNoog
    Options
    My pet peeve in relation to MFP is that whenever someone asks for assistance on diary/logging, it's automatically assumed that they're not logging correctly. I have been accused of using "generic homemade recipes from the database" when the reality is every single recipe I use, I have entered into the builder and portioned out and I actually know the calories in what I've eaten. I also weigh virtually everything I eat, even if it ends up recorded as "1/3 cup cheese" I know that that 1/3 cup recorded in my diary is 28g. I just don't make a new database entry for every damn thing that I eat. I know I know... I'm not the typical MFP user in this regard. It still bugs me :laugh:

Oh I HATE that one..... I get told that all the time..... I'm like I have a scale AND made my husband buy my FOUR sets of meshing cups... And I weigh all solids and measure all liquids and I agree.... If a package says how much if something I cups and grams and it shows on MFP in cups I STILL weigh it and them convert grams or lbs to cups..... Because MFP has it listed as cups!
    The oh your not really eating that or you just be wrong ... Drives me insane.... This isn't my first rodeo.... I never guess at how much I am eating and I track EVERY thing I eat...... So to be told no I don't drives me insane!!

then start creating entries based on the weights...you can't convert food from cups to grams back to cups and be accurate.

If your diary shows the words "generic", "homemade" or cups etc it appears as tho you aren't weighing..you might be but you still aren't logging accurately.

Because to be frank this one of my pet peeves...saying you weigh everything but when you look at the diary the entries don't reflect it...

And many MFPers wonder why my diary can only be seen by me . . . :noway:

Mine is private too :) so I don't blame you.
  • AeonAi
    AeonAi Posts: 60
    Options
    People who bash me for eating a diet of mainly fruits and veggies!!! I came from a poor country where meat is expensive. Fruit was grown in the backyard and free!!! Most of my family was completely healthy eating this way. I eat too much meat I feel sick, i don't I can run for miles. It's a valid way of life!!!!! :happy:
  • JakiDee
    JakiDee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz's existence is my biggest nutrition/weight loss/fitness pet peeve.
    ^This^
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I don't really talk to anyone other than my husband over food choices, weight loss and getting fit. So my pet peeves are:
    1) unsolicited advice or comments from others - My body, my choices, nothing to do with you so mind your own!
    2) the let's cover everything with sugar mentality - Seriously, sugar on green beans? Really???
    3) excuses - I don't except excuses from myself, what make you think I would expect them from you?
    4) the stability ball - It tried to kill me! I kid you not and have the bruises to prove it.
    5) you're not eating enough - Sorry, that doesn't fly.
    6) fad diets - Enough said.
    7) the word 'diet'
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    When the banner ad on MFP is for junk food.

There's ads on MFP? I've never seen any. You do know there are ways to enjoy the internet ad free, don't you?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

huh?

See this is another one..and not to this poster specifically...

I said "you" being generic not to this poster specifically I was actually trying to be helpful by suggesting creating new entries by grams as grams to cups to grams is not accurate.

But I get bashed because I used the wrong word.

And if I specifically mentioned this to the this particular poster on a previous occassion it would only because questions on the forums were asked...I don't creep diaries of strangers and email them with suggestions.

I have had to ammend the words "log accurately" to Log accurately which means choosing correct entries which do not include the words generic or homemade or have an asteriks, and if you can't find one without those check nutrional values against the package and confirmations and if then you can't find one google "calories in __________" which takes you to something that looks like this (insert pic) and click the USDA source for other information...blah blah blah because people get awful upset and call me a bully because I say it doesn't look like you weigh your food as your diary doesn't reflect it.

See this is what makes people like me want to stop with the forums, nasty responses when we are only trying to help...being singled out for being "mean" or a "bully" by offering helpful suggestions only to be bitten by people

I wonder what would happen if all the "bullies" and "mean" people of MFP stopped answering questions....
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here is my list:

Dr Oz endorsed diets!
    Any magic weight loss pill.
    People that complain they are way too fat when you see them and they are young, naive and obviously not really seeing that they are just fine. They are comparing themselves to airbrushed pictures of celebrities! I admit that I was young and naive once. I now tell my daughter and young coworkers not to waste there 20s feeling inadequate and not good enough!

Weight loss from my experience is about 80% what you you put in your mouth and about 20% exercise.

My motto is "you diet to look good in your clothes and you exercise to look good naked"

Weight loss is not easy and it takes time and dedication! Sure you can lose it fast but keeping it off is the biggest obstacle????