Are there any other competitive lifters in here?

Options
I'm a competitive powerlifter. I've also done some highland games competitions and am training for my first strongman show. Are there any other competitive strength athletes here?

*If you don't compete, you're not a powerlifter/oly lifter/strongman, you're just someone who likes to lift.
*Not crossfit. I'm talking real strength athletes.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone else here is worthy of your high standards. I guess you'll just have to remain alone.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Strongman checking in. My next comp is June 1st.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone else here is worthy of your high standards. I guess you'll just have to remain alone.

It's lonely at the top :(
  • Lofteren
    Options
    Strongman checking in. My next comp is June 1st.

Haha!!! In your face DavPul ;)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to be in the presence of the (two) muhfugging greatest...

Jay-Z-507696-1-402.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    lolwut?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    lolwut?

Exactly. I came in here thinking I'd find some new friends... and insta-judgey mcjudgerson...

ETA: I do compete but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be friends with OP.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,938 Member
    Options
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What events are in the strongman comp you are doing?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You were on here months back but deactivated didn't you?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I compete. I'm heading into my 23rd meet (nationals) in just under two weeks. I've done several novice strongman(woman) competitions. I've wanted to try highland games.

While you may not like the OPs statement it is widely held. I am a powerlifter because that is the sport in which I compete. In my mind, my lifts that count are the ones that got white lights on a platform. The rest are gym lifts and important in a different way. It's not an elitist mind set unless you feel more important calling yourself a powerlifter/olympic lifter/strongman. It's not better or worse. It's just different.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    he's not judgeing, he's just looking for people to identify with...you butthurt? No need to throw your opinions around, we all have our own.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You're winning the holier-than-thou competition. Congrats!
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile for me (last strongman about 9 years ago, last powerlifting meet about 10 years ago) but I intend to get back on the platform soon, possibly later this year.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    he's not judgeing, he's just looking for people to identify with...you butthurt? No need to throw your opinions around, we all have our own.

His post came off as judgemental IMO (yes, my opinion and I am entitled to it) Also, he threw his opinions around..,so slightly biased stance there.

Also, no butthurt from me, I compete.

If you want to hook up with competitive PL'ers, that's completely understandable, but just say that. No need for the 'extras'.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive powerlifter. I've also done some highland games competitions and am training for my first strongman show. Are there any other competitive strength athletes here?

*If you don't compete, you're not a powerlifter/oly lifter/strongman, you're just someone who likes to lift.
    Oh. OK. I'll just tell my coach that since I don't compete, I'm not a powerlifter or strong(wo)man. Gotcha.:huh:

I'm planning on lifting the Fullsterkur stone and competing at the Grettir Strongman festival this summer in Iceland, so maybe I'll be worthy then? :wink:

What highland games do you compete at? You may have thrown against my husband! (who actually IS a competitive HG athlete, and probably later this year a competitive weightlifter)
  • Lofteren
    Options

Thank you for this. I'm not judging people, I'm just tired of people telling me that they're a "powerlifter" because they like to lift heavy weights. There's nothing wrong with lifting without competing but that alone doesn't make you a powerlifter, it just makes you a person who likes to lift.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Thank you for this. I'm not judging people, I'm just tired of people telling me that they're a "powerlifter" because they like to lift heavy weights. There's nothing wrong with lifting without competing but that alone doesn't make you a powerlifter, it just makes you a person who likes to lift.
    So, you can't be a powerlifter if you do the powerlifting lifts, and a competitive powerlifter if you compete in powerlifting competitions? Some people have a problem with competition and will never compete. You're not the boss of me. I'll call myself a powerlifter if I want to. You can call me a madwoman for all I care. :tongue:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Oh. OK. I'll just tell my coach that since I don't compete, I'm not a powerlifter or strong(wo)man. Gotcha.:huh:

I'm planning on lifting the Fullsterkur stone and competing at the Grettir Strongman festival this summer in Iceland, so maybe I'll be worthy then? :wink:

What highland games do you compete at? You may have thrown against my husband! (who actually IS a competitive HG athlete, and probably later this year a competitive weightlifter)

I guess you can't play with OP until after the summer then.

I hope you can manage your disappointment :flowerforyou: