Are there any other competitive lifters in here?

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive powerlifter. I've also done some highland games competitions and am training for my first strongman show. Are there any other competitive strength athletes here?

*If you don't compete, you're not a powerlifter/oly lifter/strongman, you're just someone who likes to lift.
    *Not crossfit. I'm talking real strength athletes.
    Oh. OK. I'll just tell my coach that since I don't compete, I'm not a powerlifter or strong(wo)man. Gotcha.:huh:

I'm planning on lifting the Fullsterkur stone and competing at the Grettir Strongman festival this summer in Iceland, so maybe I'll be worthy then? :wink:

What highland games do you compete at? You may have thrown against my husband! (who actually IS a competitive HG athlete, and probably later this year a competitive weightlifter)

I guess you can't play with OP until after the summer then.

I hope you can manage your disappointment :flowerforyou:
    Hey man, at least you can call yourself a "runner". I can't even do that. I don't compete in anything. Does that mean I'm nothing? Whatever will I do?! :brokenheart:

Should I change my calorie goal to 1200/day and go buy some raspberry keytones?
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    he's not judgeing, he's just looking for people to identify with...you butthurt? No need to throw your opinions around, we all have our own.

His post came off as judgemental IMO (yes, my opinion and I am entitled to it) Also, he threw his opinions around..,so slightly biased stance there.

Also, no butthurt from me, I compete.

If you want to hook up with competitive PL'ers, that's completely understandable, but just say that. No need for the 'extras'.

There absolutely is need for the extras. Without them, everyone who fancies themselves strong will jump in here and say "Oh, I'm a powerlifter!" which would then make it necessary to state the extras so I just did it up front. Geez, you people on this website are so damn touchy about EVERYTHING. I guess this is a reminder why I deleted my account a while back. I don't know if you remember that but I was the guy who helped you get your pre-contest training cycle put together prior to your first meet. Some respect I got for that huh?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    he's not judgeing, he's just looking for people to identify with...you butthurt? No need to throw your opinions around, we all have our own.

His post came off as judgemental IMO (yes, my opinion and I am entitled to it) Also, he threw his opinions around..,so slightly biased stance there.

If you want to hook up with competitive PL'ers, that's completely understandable, but just say that. No need for the 'extras'.

There absolutely is need for the extras. Without them, everyone who fancies themselves strong will jump in here and say "Oh, I'm a powerlifter!" which would then make it necessary to state the extras so I just did it up front. Geez, you people on this website are so damn touchy about EVERYTHING. I guess this is a reminder why I deleted my account a while back. I don't know if you remember that but I was the guy who helped you get your pre-contest training cycle put together prior to your first meet. Some respect I got for that huh?

If it was before her first meet then she wasn't even a powerlifter then. What did you expect from someone whose lifts don't even count?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    FTR, I'm not touchy. I'm amused.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

If it was before her first meet then she wasn't even a powerlifter then. What did you expect from someone whose lifts don't even count?
    Bro, DYEPL?!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I'm a competitive powerlifter. I've also done some highland games competitions and am training for my first strongman show. Are there any other competitive strength athletes here?

*If you don't compete, you're not a powerlifter/oly lifter/strongman, you're just someone who likes to lift.
    *Not crossfit. I'm talking real strength athletes.
    Oh. OK. I'll just tell my coach that since I don't compete, I'm not a powerlifter or strong(wo)man. Gotcha.:huh:

I'm planning on lifting the Fullsterkur stone and competing at the Grettir Strongman festival this summer in Iceland, so maybe I'll be worthy then? :wink:

What highland games do you compete at? You may have thrown against my husband! (who actually IS a competitive HG athlete, and probably later this year a competitive weightlifter)

I guess you can't play with OP until after the summer then.

I hope you can manage your disappointment :flowerforyou:
    Hey man, at least you can call yourself a "runner". I can't even do that. I don't compete in anything. Does that mean I'm nothing? Whatever will I do?! :brokenheart:

Should I change my calorie goal to 1200/day and go buy some raspberry keytones?

It's really your only choice.

Sorry about your lack of identity. :cry:
  • Lofteren
    Options
    What events are in the strongman comp you are doing?

295's Fat Grip Farmers Walk with 1 turn + 450lb Hand over hand sled pull

500lb Axle Deadlift for reps no straps

45lb Sledge hammer crucifix holds for time

295's farmers handle holds for time

Lots of grip and torture events. What about your's?
  • sjohnny
    Options

Bro, DYEPL?!

Apparently not. DUH.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Brr! Sure is bro out today!
  • Lofteren
    Options
    You were on here months back but deactivated didn't you?

I was, now I see why I left. People here can be pretty ridiculous.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    So, are you looking for other Highland Gamers, or are only strongman competitors and powerlifting competitors allowed? I suppose oly lifters are right out?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    perhaps you can be a powerlifter without competing, but, he doesnt care to talk to such individuals..... i can understand that.

training like a power lifter and preparing for PL comps are surely different breeds.

i focus more on strength than hypertrophy, but, I have no experience competing, so, imma just move along
  • sjohnny
    Options

They sure can.

And some of them take themselves way too seriously.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    perhaps you can be a powerlifter without competing, but, he doesnt care to talk to such individuals..... i can understand that.

training like a power lifter and preparing for PL comps are surely different breeds.

i focus more on strength than hypertrophy, but, I have no experience competing, so, imma just move along
    Well, until I've checked out his Highland Games scores, I don't care to talk to him either. So there! :laugh:
  • Lofteren
    Options

Thanks for your input. You are absolutely correct. Not only is the training different but the biggest difference is that competitive athletes get up on the platform in front of hundreds of people and perform. Non-competitive lifters do not. They don't have to fumble around with what weights to attempt or strategies like knowing when to go all in on a lift and when not to, etc.... It's a completely different ball game.
  • Lofteren
    Options

They sure can.

Am I taking myself too seriously? I don't think so at all. If you posted a thread for competitive runners I wouldn't go in there and hassle you about it.

"Well, I run but I don't compete. Does that mean I can't be in your club? You're just being judgemental" Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

They sure can.

Life's too short for that!

How anyone can be such a tosser and still take themselves seriously is beyond me...
    cabertoss.jpg

You know... caber tosser?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    If you posted a thread for competitive runners I wouldn't go in there and hassle you about it.
    "Well, I run but I don't compete. Does that mean I can't be in your club? You're just being judgemental" Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?

Only insofar as that statement does not make the claim that non-competitive runners are not runners.

Cf.

See the diff?
  • sjohnny
    Options

They sure can.

Am I taking myself too seriously? I don't think so at all. If you posted a thread for competitive runners I wouldn't go in there and hassle you about it.

Did I say it was you? Guilty conscience a bit?

And I don't call myself a runner. I'm just a guy who likes to run. And I'm nowhere approaching competitive, except against turtles and snails, and I'm not trying to start a club. And I don't care what anyone calls themselves.

But you're providing some half-*kitten* entertainment on a slow Friday while I'm waiting for it to be time to go do 12 oz curls in the squat rack.

So carry on with your clubhouse building.

Here's a sign you can use

$T2eC16VHJHwFG1o5Cs77BR6Qd0(1Yg~~60_35.JPG
  • Lofteren
    Options
    If you posted a thread for competitive runners I wouldn't go in there and hassle you about it.

Only insofar as that statement does not make the claim that non-competitive runners are not runners.

Cf.

See the diff?

BRB. I'm gonna go read a book about cardiology, give someone advice on how to lower their blood pressure and call myself a cardiologist.