Are there any other competitive lifters in here?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You're right. I only answered all of the questions you had about how to implement 5/3/1 for powerlifting with a volume/intensity taper leading up the meet. That's not helping you out though, just answering your questions and I'm a liar.

You're very angry. If you need a hug, I've been told I'm a great hugger.

If I say I am angry, will you give me a hug?

You can have a hug angry or not ;)

:flowerforyou:
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I competed in my first strong (wo)man competition last month and I LOVED it! Since that has been over I' have been training for my first power lifting competition on April 26th. I'm super nervous. My bench isn't great but I'm pretty happy with my squat and DL. I'm also trying to cut some weight before as I'm afraid that's really gonna hurt me!

Next strong man is in late July!

Good for you. Don't worry about bench. As far as I'm concerned, it's the lift that you gives you a bit of a lie down between the real lifts.

What events did you do for the Strong(wo)man? I've done a few and love them. I wouldn't consider myself a strongwoman competitor because I'm not great at them. They're more just a relaxing laugh.

THE HELL YOU SAY!!!

Strong(wo)man is SEREEIS BIZNESS. There's no place for laughs.

Log Press Last man standing I dropped out at 120
    Max Deadlift on Hex bar in a minute 230 lbs
    Farmers Holds 140 per hand
    Max stone load over bar in a min, chose your stone weight beats reps (I chose 160)
    Husafell carry max distance (150 lb for woman's div)

I PR'd in everything but the log press and I met my practice max in that. I ended up with fifth place overall the woman and I was pretty happy with that since my goal for my first comp was just not to come in last!

And strong(wo)man is no joke! There are some BEASTLY women out there!

No kidding. The ones I've done are small local events. You really have to train each event properly to be successful at it. Where I had difficulty was not being a complete spastic and doing it quickly.

The last one I did was:
    Deadlift medley for time - a single rep for each: standard dl 245lbs, trap bar 285lbs, Fat bar 185lbs, Farmers bars 150/hand
    Seated hand over hand car pull followed by push it the other way for time
    Atlas stones over 5' bar max reps in 90 seconds - 120lb stone

I actually did pretty decently on the stones because I have long arms and could carry it up and over but my sternum felt like I'd been punched afterwards.

My best even was the year before deadlift off blocks when I pulled 425.

Any overhead pressing events I really crap the bed on.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Log Press Last man standing I dropped out at 120
    Max Deadlift on Hex bar in a minute 230 lbs
    Farmers Holds 140 per hand
    Max stone load over bar in a min, chose your stone weight beats reps (I chose 160)
    Husafell carry max distance (150 lb for woman's div)

I PR'd in everything but the log press and I met my practice max in that. I ended up with fifth place overall the woman and I was pretty happy with that since my goal for my first comp was just not to come in last!

And strong(wo)man is no joke! There are some BEASTLY women out there!
    That's flippin' sweet! We're going to Husafell this summer so my husband can carry the stone.
    I don't have any stones between 150 and 200, and the 200 so far eludes me, even with comp grade tacky. And for some reason, I can no longer lift the 150 without tackying up first. WTF is up with that?!

What do you think is the best accessory work to improve grip for atlas stone? My trouble is shifting it off the ground at all.

I had REAL trouble with the atlas stones initially. At my gym the strongman equip is in a unheated barn and I could never ever get my tacky to work properly because it was SO DANG cold here this winter, and I just started training strongman in october. So I went into the competition only ever being able to lift the 100lb stone. The comp was in a HEATED gym so for the first time ever my tacky worked properly and I was ablle to lift the 180lb stone but ended up using the 160 for my attpemts.

As far as accessory work, I haven't really found anything that helps except lifting more stones! There's a great youtube tutorial from Alanna Casey on youtube on stone loading that helped me a lot, you might check that one out!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I had REAL trouble with the atlas stones initially. At my gym the strongman equip is in a unheated barn and I could never ever get my tacky to work properly because it was SO DANG cold here this winter, and I just started training strongman in october. So I went into the competition only ever being able to lift the 100lb stone. The comp was in a HEATED gym so for the first time ever my tacky worked properly and I was ablle to lift the 180lb stone but ended up using the 160 for my attpemts.

As far as accessory work, I haven't really found anything that helps except lifting more stones! There's a great youtube tutorial from Alanna Casey on youtube on stone loading that helped me a lot, you might check that one out!
    I noticed that the cold has a real effect on my grip too, and I live in friggin' Texas! The untackied grip just sucks balls when it's cold. And I think the competition grade SpiderTack works better in the cold than the light strength stuff. I don't have heavy, just light and comp-grade, so I can't comment on how heavy performs based on temperature.

I had a feeling you were going to say "MOAR STONE LIFTING". :laugh: That's kinda been my M.O. and just not worrying about it too much. But it's "my thang" so if I can get better faster, of course I want to. Considering I have connective tissue issues, I feel pretty proud about what I've been able to accomplish, non-competitiveness aside. The other day as I finished my 20th 150# stone lift of the day, a lady walking by my yard asked "Are you trying to kill yourself?!" "No, ma'am," I replied, "Just trying to come as close as possible!"

I've seen her tutorial. I :heart: Alanna Casey! Power gut FTW!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Um. What the hell are doing asking these questions here? You haven't competed yet. Start your own thread for non-competers.
    Oh em gee! You're so right.

I mean, "You guys are all mean. And you're stinky. Nyah."
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Um. What the hell are doing asking these questions here? You haven't competed yet. Start your own thread for non-competers.
    Oh em gee! You're so right.

I mean, "You guys are all mean. And you're stinky. Nyah."
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    he's not judgeing, he's just looking for people to identify with...you butthurt? No need to throw your opinions around, we all have our own.

Yeah but I know a lot of people who both compete in olympic lifting AND do CrossFit . Super judgmental.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    he's not judgeing, he's just looking for people to identify with...you butthurt? No need to throw your opinions around, we all have our own.

Yeah but I know a lot of people who both compete in olympic lifting AND do CrossFit . Super judgmental.

I'm pretty sure doing crossfit cancels out anything else.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

But do they compete in CF? Because if they don't, they're not really CrossFitters, so it's OK. But if they do, well... there may not be enough squats and fish oil in the world to save 'em. Pretty sure they gon' die.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I'm pretty sure doing crossfit cancels out anything else.
    lyxw.gif
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

I noticed that the cold has a real effect on my grip too, and I live in friggin' Texas! The untackied grip just sucks balls when it's cold. And I think the competition grade SpiderTack works better in the cold than the light strength stuff. I don't have heavy, just light and comp-grade, so I can't comment on how heavy performs based on temperature.

I had a feeling you were going to say "MOAR STONE LIFTING". :laugh: That's kinda been my M.O. and just not worrying about it too much. But it's "my thang" so if I can get better faster, of course I want to. Considering I have connective tissue issues, I feel pretty proud about what I've been able to accomplish, non-competitiveness aside. The other day as I finished my 20th 150# stone lift of the day, a lady walking by my yard asked "Are you trying to kill yourself?!" "No, ma'am," I replied, "Just trying to come as close as possible!"

I've seen her tutorial. I :heart: Alanna Casey! Power gut FTW!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I have the heavy spider. Doesn't too well in cold either.....of course is was like 4 degrees when I was trying to use it!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Owe.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're right. I only answered all of the questions you had about how to implement 5/3/1 for powerlifting with a volume/intensity taper leading up the meet. That's not helping you out though, just answering your questions and I'm a liar.

You're very angry. If you need a hug, I've been told I'm a great hugger.

hugging only counts if you've hugged on the platform. you a platform hugger, brah?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Any thread that excludes anything (except men, sometimes) will get tons of responses from people who don't like being excluded from a thread. Regardless of topic.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive powerlifter. I've also done some highland games competitions and am training for my first strongman show. Are there any other competitive strength athletes here?

*If you don't compete, you're not a powerlifter/oly lifter/strongman, you're just someone who likes to lift.
    *Not crossfit. I'm talking real strength athletes.

What's wrong with crossfit...

DYEL?

I lift lots of things..doughnuts, cookies, forks, etc. I even do high reps for time
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Omg, the guy only wants to talk to other people IN THIS FORUM who are competitive lifters. Granted, his word choice "just a person who likes to lift" was a little poor, but why get offended? Most of you who are pouting aren't even powerlifters as far as I can gather.

You don't have to derail EVERY thread because your job is not stimulating enough and you need entertainment... Let the guy bro out with his competitive lifting bros without having to defend himself at every turn.

I don't think anyone is pouting.

*****ing...giving the impression that they are offended that he doesn't include non-competitive lifting programmes as being comparable to what he does as a competitive lifter....making comments which could be interpreted as snarky or snide/making comments that may be 'blunt and truthful' but could also come across as if the makers of said comments are upset at his statements...

if it assists, please replace the word "pouting" with any of the above groupings of words. I don't think the sentiment of my initial statement will have changed significantly.

Laughing. You forgot to include laughing.

Because I think that's what everyone except OP, the one strongman guy and the girl who did a strongwoman comp and is gonna powerlift someday... oh yeah, and you. Everyone else is just laughing. And having a good time. And there's no law against it. Unlike impersonating a physician.

Well I saw very few 'lols' and only a few blinky-face flower-offering smileys in the comments so I assumed the laughter was minimal...don't judge me.

Y'all are derailing his thread for no good reason. Let him find his real powerlifting soul buddies in peace. god.

Also, if you are able to/are interested in read/ing through the thread objectively, it does come across as if a lot of you are offended by his exclusion...you as well. Whether you are or not is a different story.

I actually have the capability of laughing without putting smiley little smiley faces in my messages. And to me it's funnier if you don't put them.

Besides, smiley faces only count ON THE PLATFORM
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I competed in my first strong (wo)man competition last month and I LOVED it! Since that has been over I' have been training for my first power lifting competition on April 26th. I'm super nervous. My bench isn't great but I'm pretty happy with my squat and DL. I'm also trying to cut some weight before as I'm afraid that's really gonna hurt me!

Next strong man is in late July!

Why cut weight for your first one?
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Omg, the guy only wants to talk to other people IN THIS FORUM who are competitive lifters. Granted, his word choice "just a person who likes to lift" was a little poor, but why get offended? Most of you who are pouting aren't even powerlifters as far as I can gather.

You don't have to derail EVERY thread because your job is not stimulating enough and you need entertainment... Let the guy bro out with his competitive lifting bros without having to defend himself at every turn.

I don't think anyone is pouting.

*****ing...giving the impression that they are offended that he doesn't include non-competitive lifting programmes as being comparable to what he does as a competitive lifter....making comments which could be interpreted as snarky or snide/making comments that may be 'blunt and truthful' but could also come across as if the makers of said comments are upset at his statements...

if it assists, please replace the word "pouting" with any of the above groupings of words. I don't think the sentiment of my initial statement will have changed significantly.

Laughing. You forgot to include laughing.

Because I think that's what everyone except OP, the one strongman guy and the girl who did a strongwoman comp and is gonna powerlift someday... oh yeah, and you. Everyone else is just laughing. And having a good time. And there's no law against it. Unlike impersonating a physician.

Well I saw very few 'lols' and only a few blinky-face flower-offering smileys in the comments so I assumed the laughter was minimal...don't judge me.

Y'all are derailing his thread for no good reason. Let him find his real powerlifting soul buddies in peace. god.

Also, if you are able to/are interested in read/ing through the thread objectively, it does come across as if a lot of you are offended by his exclusion...you as well. Whether you are or not is a different story.

I actually have the capability of laughing without putting smiley little smiley faces in my messages. And to me it's funnier if you don't put them.

That actually was mild sarcasm, I'm sure that you are generally able to pick up on sarcasm with ease so I take full responsibility for you missing that. Thank you for explaining your point to me so nicely though, I do appreciate it (seriously).
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive powerlifter. I've also done some highland games competitions and am training for my first strongman show. Are there any other competitive strength athletes here?

*If you don't compete, you're not a powerlifter/oly lifter/strongman, you're just someone who likes to lift.
    *Not crossfit. I'm talking real strength athletes.

What's wrong with crossfit...

Crossfit is more about timed stuff than max weight.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I compete in Powerlifting. Done 2 local comps so far, and I have the British Classic later on this year to look forward to!