Judgey in the lunch room

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If crappy nutrition killed people, there were be a lot of dead people from either the food they choose or the food they have to eat because they have limited choices and resources.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Lettuce? You're forming an argument that people are suffering from malnutrition because they probably don't eat "lettuce"? Do you realize what a pointless crappy excuse for a vegetable iceberg lettuce is? At least call people out for not eating spinach or something, not lettuce.

Sheesh

the only lettuce I eat comes from McDonalds or Dairy Queen, or occasionally Burger King or Fatburgers. I once had a McDonald's salad. It was nice apart from the fact it had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much lettuce in it....

What is it with lettuce? It's like westerners think it's not a salad unless it's about 80% lettuce. I used to hate salad because I'm really not keen on lettuce unless it's part of a burger or something. However an Algerian friend taught me the Algerian way to make salads.................. not a freaking lettuce leaf in sight. Now I like salads and make my own very creative lettuce-free salads.

How do Algerians make their salads? I'm intrigued!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't totally hate on the OP for this post. They came right out and said they were being judgemental, so that shouldn't really have come as a surprise to anyone.

I know the popular attitude these days is: eat whatever you want, under calories, lose weight.

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished. I think there is a point where it's gross and I'm not too afraid to judge someone for not eating real food. I mean, it's cool that you don't mind that. But I couldn't do it and it grosses me out. Same with people who lose weight on McDonald's. That's great! I'm glad you can do it! You're still eating a patty comprised of slaughterhouse floor sweepings and cow anuses cleaned with ammonia that, according to rumor, sticks around on the burger long enough to do bad things to you if you eat enough of it.

I'm all for losing weight at some cost, but, truly, god, nature and darwin never meant for you to eat anything remotely close to that. I'm not organic. I'm not vegetarian. I even eat fast food sometimes. But I get the OP's point: EVERY DAY? REALLY?
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    GUYS, GUYS. I JUST GOT THE CRAZIEST IDEA. SIT DOWN FOR THIS.

STEAK. SALAD.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Judgey little rant for perspective:

So I'm realizing that some people ALWAYS eat trash. They have soda every day, some of them even drink predominantly soda as if it were water. There are people at my work who eat microwave lunches every day! That is a chemical trash concoction and they eat it every. single. day. They probably don't even eat one cupful of lettuce per day and might only have one piece of fruit or none! How is that even possible? Don't you die of malnutrition if you only eat processed food every day all the time? I definitely indulge in the occasional snack of trash, sometimes even twice a day, but every day? All the time? It had just never occurred to me that a person could live without eating any fruits or any vegetables or drinking any water or probably doing any exercise...

So I guess no worries to everyone eating some fruit and veg and at least drinking some water. Taking steps in the right direction puts you lightyears ahead of the crowd it seems. Keep up the good work and you're probably doing better than you think! :drinker:

Do you know anyone who eats ALL junk? Is this really so common?

OMG..you'd be the very last person in the universe I'd want to be stuck in an elevator with.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm the person who often goes to work with a protein bar, pringles, and a string cheese for lunch. Why? A few reasons. First, I'm lazy. I don't feel like carrying an extra sack full of dishes that I have to wash and take back home with me, and don't really want to prepare anything fancy to take to work. Second, my protein bar tastes good and helps me hit my protein macro. Third, I like a big dinner, and my dinner typically consists of a crap-ton of vegetables.

Also, sometimes I drink soda.
    And I rarely eat fruit. I'm just not that into it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Lettuce? You're forming an argument that people are suffering from malnutrition because they probably don't eat "lettuce"? Do you realize what a pointless crappy excuse for a vegetable iceberg lettuce is? At least call people out for not eating spinach or something, not lettuce.

Sheesh

the only lettuce I eat comes from McDonalds or Dairy Queen, or occasionally Burger King or Fatburgers. I once had a McDonald's salad. It was nice apart from the fact it had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much lettuce in it....

What is it with lettuce? It's like westerners think it's not a salad unless it's about 80% lettuce. I used to hate salad because I'm really not keen on lettuce unless it's part of a burger or something. However an Algerian friend taught me the Algerian way to make salads.................. not a freaking lettuce leaf in sight. Now I like salads and make my own very creative lettuce-free salads.

the best salads:
    chicken salad
    ham salad
    egg salad
    pasta salad
    macaroni salad
    potato salad

No turkey or tuna or salmon salad? dafuq?
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Sheesh

Do Algerians do it like some Greeks? Mostly cucumber, tomato, feta, olive, oil, red onion, parsley, etc.? I've had some Greek salads with no lettuce and some Indian salads that just use cabbage. Good stuff!
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Apparently like this!

http://www.food.com/recipe/algerian-salad-171689

mmm looks pretty good
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I try not to judge too much, but I'm a big proponent of how healing real food can be on the body. That being said, no one responds well to people who lecture them on everything they're doing wrong.

Ok, now that I've gotten THAT out of the way, I can tell you one of my little judgey observations :)

A coworker of mine brags that he buys all of his food from the dollar store. Yes. THE DOLLAR STORE. He has cheap little cookies, discount white bread, soy sauce, condensed soup and processed peanut butter on his desk at all times. His lunch however, takes the cake. I have never seen him eat a lunch (unless it was free) other than this:
    1 pack of Mr.Noodles, 1 can of condensed soup (he doesn't un-condense it), a bunch of the processed peanut butter, all mixed together in a big salad bowl (cooked of course). On the side, he'll have 4 peices of white toast with dollar store margarine smeared on top.

Nothing against the guy, but I definitely don't agree with his food choices! LOL!
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options

So I'm realizing that some people ALWAYS eat trash. They have soda every day, some of them even drink predominantly soda as if it were water. There are people at my work who eat microwave lunches every day! That is a chemical trash concoction and they eat it every. single. day. They probably don't even eat one cupful of lettuce per day and might only have one piece of fruit or none! How is that even possible? Don't you die of malnutrition if you only eat processed food every day all the time? I definitely indulge in the occasional snack of trash, sometimes even twice a day, but every day? All the time? It had just never occurred to me that a person could live without eating any fruits or any vegetables or drinking any water or probably doing any exercise...

So I guess no worries to everyone eating some fruit and veg and at least drinking some water. Taking steps in the right direction puts you lightyears ahead of the crowd it seems. Keep up the good work and you're probably doing better than you think! :drinker:

Yes. There are certain people in an older generation of my family who only eat: potatoes, butter, milk, cream, cheddar cheese, cheese slices, canned, packed in syrup peaches, meat, white bread, corn pops cereal, salt, ritz crackers and anything you can deep fry. I promise this is how they eat.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    If crappy nutrition killed people, there were be a lot of dead people from either the food they choose or the food they have to eat because they have limited choices and resources.

Pretty sure it does. Heart disease. Diabetes. Obesity-related illnesses. High blood pressure. Cancer. Are those not the top killers?
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Yes. There are certain people in an older generation of my family who only eat: potatoes, butter, milk, cream, cheddar cheese, cheese slices, canned, packed in syrup peaches, meat, white bread, corn pops cereal, salt, ritz crackers and anything you can deep fry. I promise this is how they eat.

None of that is freezer food or really very processed. People do eat the way you described and they live just fine. Sounds like oldschool Southerners. There are societies that eat only cows blood, limited solid proteins, and roots. They live just fine, too. More or less because the food is real.
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I could really go for a green salad almost entirely made out of butterhead lettuce, olive oil and vinegar. All the lettuce hate in this thread gives me a sad. I hope you all die from constipation brought on by severely low fiber levels.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't totally hate on the OP for this post. They came right out and said they were being judgemental, so that shouldn't really have come as a surprise to anyone.

I know the popular attitude these days is: eat whatever you want, under calories, lose weight.

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished. I think there is a point where it's gross and I'm not too afraid to judge someone for not eating real food. I mean, it's cool that you don't mind that. But I couldn't do it and it grosses me out. Same with people who lose weight on McDonald's. That's great! I'm glad you can do it! You're still eating a patty comprised of slaughterhouse floor sweepings and cow anuses cleaned with ammonia that, according to rumor, sticks around on the burger long enough to do bad things to you if you eat enough of it.

I'm all for losing weight at some cost, but, truly, god, nature and darwin never meant for you to eat anything remotely close to that. I'm not organic. I'm not vegetarian. I even eat fast food sometimes. But I get the OP's point: EVERY DAY? REALLY?

:yawn:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I could really go for a green salad almost entirely made out of butterhead lettuce, olive oil and vinegar. All the lettuce hate in this thread gives me a sad. I hope you all die from constipation brought on by severely low fiber levels.

escalated.gif
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    GUYS, GUYS. I JUST GOT THE CRAZIEST IDEA. SIT DOWN FOR THIS.

STEAK. SALAD.

Murry meh? :P
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Um, pretty sure the south is not huge and malnourished from eating too many lean cuisines. It may have something to do with the fact that my friends had a BLT that had half a pound of chicken fried bacon on it. Or chicken and waffles for breakfast. Or chicken fried steak smothered in gravy.

And even then, those foods aren't bad for you. Eating all of them in a caloric surplus is what led to "the south being fat".
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I try not to judge too much, but I'm a big proponent of how healing real food can be on the body. That being said, no one responds well to people who lecture them on everything they're doing wrong.

Ok, now that I've gotten THAT out of the way, I can tell you one of my little judgey observations :)

A coworker of mine brags that he buys all of his food from the dollar store. Yes. THE DOLLAR STORE. He has cheap little cookies, discount white bread, soy sauce, condensed soup and processed peanut butter on his desk at all times. His lunch however, takes the cake. I have never seen him eat a lunch (unless it was free) other than this:
    1 pack of Mr.Noodles, 1 can of condensed soup (he doesn't un-condense it), a bunch of the processed peanut butter, all mixed together in a big salad bowl (cooked of course). On the side, he'll have 4 peices of white toast with dollar store margarine smeared on top.

Nothing against the guy, but I definitely don't agree with his food choices! LOL!
    Some of the dollar stores around sell fruits and vegetables. Oh the horror of shopping there and saving some money!