Judgey in the lunch room

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't totally hate on the OP for this post. They came right out and said they were being judgemental, so that shouldn't really have come as a surprise to anyone.

I know the popular attitude these days is: eat whatever you want, under calories, lose weight.

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished.

WTF do you think they're doing to frozen food that makes it such garbage??

they freeze it down to -18 degrees Centigrade or lower (no idea what that is in Fahrenheit don't care either) and *that is all they do to it* no nutrients get harmed, if anything it actually preserves some nutrients longer, as chemical reactions happen more slowly at lower temperatures, so nutrients such as antioxidant vitamins are lost over time.... so after a few days the frozen veg has more nutrients in it than fresh veg of the same age, ditto frozen meat, fish, etc........... unless you're eating vegetables right out of your own garden or caught-that-day fish and meat, then frozen food has just as much nutrition as fresh and possibly more.

Freezing is about the most natural way of preserving food that there is. Even neanderthals would have eaten frozen food seeing as they lived in a sub-arctic, ice age climate and ate huge mammals like woolly mammoth... it's kind of difficult to stop food getting frozen in an ice age winter.... it's even possible that cooking was invented by accident as a result of attempting to thaw food that was frozen (although there are other theories about the origin of cooking food)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I try not to judge too much, but I'm a big proponent of how healing real food can be on the body.

I have no idea what this means. Could you clarify, please?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Lettuce? You're forming an argument that people are suffering from malnutrition because they probably don't eat "lettuce"? Do you realize what a pointless crappy excuse for a vegetable iceberg lettuce is? At least call people out for not eating spinach or something, not lettuce.

Sheesh

the only lettuce I eat comes from McDonalds or Dairy Queen, or occasionally Burger King or Fatburgers. I once had a McDonald's salad. It was nice apart from the fact it had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much lettuce in it....

What is it with lettuce? It's like westerners think it's not a salad unless it's about 80% lettuce. I used to hate salad because I'm really not keen on lettuce unless it's part of a burger or something. However an Algerian friend taught me the Algerian way to make salads.................. not a freaking lettuce leaf in sight. Now I like salads and make my own very creative lettuce-free salads.

the best salads:
    chicken salad
    ham salad
    egg salad
    pasta salad
    macaroni salad
    potato salad

No turkey or tuna or salmon salad? dafuq?

i've never had turkey salad.

and I don't like fish.

so... that's why
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Lettuce? You're forming an argument that people are suffering from malnutrition because they probably don't eat "lettuce"? Do you realize what a pointless crappy excuse for a vegetable iceberg lettuce is? At least call people out for not eating spinach or something, not lettuce.

Sheesh

the only lettuce I eat comes from McDonalds or Dairy Queen, or occasionally Burger King or Fatburgers. I once had a McDonald's salad. It was nice apart from the fact it had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much lettuce in it....

What is it with lettuce? It's like westerners think it's not a salad unless it's about 80% lettuce. I used to hate salad because I'm really not keen on lettuce unless it's part of a burger or something. However an Algerian friend taught me the Algerian way to make salads.................. not a freaking lettuce leaf in sight. Now I like salads and make my own very creative lettuce-free salads.

the best salads:
    chicken salad
    ham salad
    egg salad
    pasta salad
    macaroni salad
    potato salad

No turkey or tuna or salmon salad? dafuq?

i've never had turkey salad.

and I don't like fish.

so... that's why

I make salads that include tuna, smoked salmon, chicken, cheese and eggs. yes, all in the same salad. I even manage to fit some veggies in there too....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Sheesh

Salad of Goodness: black beans, corn, chick peas, bell pepper, tomatoes, jicama, red onion, avocado/guacamole, feta cheese, lime juice, and red wine vinegar.

ALL THE NOMS!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    To answer at least part of your question, yes, that junk food does have some nutritional value that's why they can do it and not just die from malnutrition. It's also the reason for congestive heart failure so there is a dark side to eating junk.

If i were you i wouldn't worry about it. It's their choices, right or wrong.

Pretty much this.

I am honestly surprised that there are people who don't realize others eat junk primarily, or don't eat vegetables, etc. Maybe they just haven't being paying attention?

Then again, I grew up from age 0-12 in a household where veggies = canned corn, frozen peas, salads of iceberg lettuce with chopped tomato. So I thought vegetables were pretty gross. I know so many adults who live that way, including some who have a high income and consider themselves healthy. In the media it seems like the only people they show eating junk are inner-city poverty stricken people who weigh 600 lb. No. My boss at my old job was a trim 40-something man who ate Pizza Hut, hot wings with ranch, microwave popcorn, Little Debbies, and nothing else. Ever. And he was diabetic.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    GUYS, GUYS. I JUST GOT THE CRAZIEST IDEA. SIT DOWN FOR THIS.

STEAK. SALAD.

Murry meh? :P

Only if the caterers can get steak salad. And don't call me Murry.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't totally hate on the OP for this post. They came right out and said they were being judgemental, so that shouldn't really have come as a surprise to anyone.

I know the popular attitude these days is: eat whatever you want, under calories, lose weight.

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished. I think there is a point where it's gross and I'm not too afraid to judge someone for not eating real food. I mean, it's cool that you don't mind that. But I couldn't do it and it grosses me out. Same with people who lose weight on McDonald's. That's great! I'm glad you can do it! You're still eating a patty comprised of slaughterhouse floor sweepings and cow anuses cleaned with ammonia that, according to rumor, sticks around on the burger long enough to do bad things to you if you eat enough of it.

I'm all for losing weight at some cost, but, truly, god, nature and darwin never meant for you to eat anything remotely close to that. I'm not organic. I'm not vegetarian. I even eat fast food sometimes. But I get the OP's point: EVERY DAY? REALLY?

Hunh? The problem with the South isn't that they FREEZE things. It's that they batter and deepfry anything that doesn't move too quickly.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished. I think there is a point where it's gross and I'm not too afraid to judge someone for not eating real food. I mean, it's cool that you don't mind that. But I couldn't do it and it grosses me out. Same with people who lose weight on McDonald's. That's great! I'm glad you can do it! You're still eating a patty comprised of slaughterhouse floor sweepings and cow anuses cleaned with ammonia that, according to rumor, sticks around on the burger long enough to do bad things to you if you eat enough of it.

I'm all for losing weight at some cost, but, truly, god, nature and darwin never meant for you to eat anything remotely close to that. I'm not organic. I'm not vegetarian. I even eat fast food sometimes. But I get the OP's point: EVERY DAY? REALLY?

Hunh? The problem with the South isn't that they FREEZE things. It's that they batter and deepfry anything that doesn't move too quickly.

I'm from the South and I'm not huge and malnourished. I was raised on a farm and while, yes some things were fried, I ate a lot of steak and home grown veggies. Grass fed beef, too. Leftover steak from the night before was my after school snack often times. I do not recall my mother battering and deep frying anything, really.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Um, pretty sure the south is not huge and malnourished from eating too many lean cuisines. It may have something to do with the fact that my friends had a BLT that had half a pound of chicken fried bacon on it. Or chicken and waffles for breakfast. Or chicken fried steak smothered in gravy.

And even then, those foods aren't bad for you. Eating all of them in a caloric surplus is what led to "the south being fat".

Sorry, it's the reputation the South has. Fairly certain it's Georgia or Alabama that's pretty far up there for obesity per capita.

My experience in the south looked like this: a lot of what you mentioned (high amounts of overly fatty / calorie-intense foods), but an *kitten*-ton of little debbie cakes (processed), generic brand grape soda (or drank), chips and cookies and all of this bull**** with refined, bleached flour. Not real. Not good for you.

As always, no, it's not everyone. It's enough to become a stereotype.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've made a salad out of french toast before

Challah french toast panzanella with strawberries, breakfast sausage and whipped maple mascarpone

IMG_20130731_184911.jpg
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished.

WTF do you think they're doing to frozen food that makes it such garbage??

they freeze it down to -18 degrees Centigrade or lower (no idea what that is in Fahrenheit don't care either) and *that is all they do to it* no nutrients get harmed, if anything it actually preserves some nutrients longer, as chemical reactions happen more slowly at lower temperatures, so nutrients such as antioxidant vitamins are lost over time.... so after a few days the frozen veg has more nutrients in it than fresh veg of the same age, ditto frozen meat, fish, etc........... unless you're eating vegetables right out of your own garden or caught-that-day fish and meat, then frozen food has just as much nutrition as fresh and possibly more.

Freezing is about the most natural way of preserving food that there is. Even neanderthals would have eaten frozen food seeing as they lived in a sub-arctic, ice age climate and ate huge mammals like woolly mammoth... it's kind of difficult to stop food getting frozen in an ice age winter.... it's even possible that cooking was invented by accident as a result of attempting to thaw food that was frozen (although there are other theories about the origin of cooking food)

Freezer food is not food that is frozen. At least not lean cuisine or anything that would count as a t.v. dinner. Frozen spinach? Yes. It's spinach. Frozen. Hungry Man? No. That is a bunch of processed, bleached flour, corn syrup, hydrogenated soybean oil and bull**** that doesn't exist in nature. Not to mention CRAZY *kitten* TONS OF SODIUM TO HELP PRESERVE IT!

Don't believe me, read the label.

Amy's and stuff that claims to be organic, I'd at least eat more readily than Swansons.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I could really go for a green salad almost entirely made out of butterhead lettuce, olive oil and vinegar. All the lettuce hate in this thread gives me a sad. I hope you all die from constipation brought on by severely low fiber levels.

So let me get this straight, you want me to suffer death by POOP!!
    original.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I could really go for a green salad almost entirely made out of butterhead lettuce, olive oil and vinegar. All the lettuce hate in this thread gives me a sad. I hope you all die from constipation brought on by severely low fiber levels.

I just ate a cup (That's roughtly 240grams) of collar greens.

I think my fiber levels will be okay
  • wolfsbayne
    Options

Challah french toast panzanella with strawberries, breakfast sausage and whipped maple mascarpone

IMG_20130731_184911.jpg

I could really go for this!
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options

OMG! GIVE LETTUCE A CHANCE!!!
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options

IMG_20130731_184911.jpg

its_beautiful.jpg
  • wolfsbayne
    Options

I prefer mustard greens :bigsmile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

OMG! GIVE LETTUCE A CHANCE!!!

No.

I prefer mustard greens

Yes. Well I don't prefer, but they're mighty tasty
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I just ate a cup (That's roughtly 240grams) of collard greens.

FIFY