Judgey in the lunch room

Options

Replies

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I could really go for a green salad almost entirely made out of butterhead lettuce, olive oil and vinegar. All the lettuce hate in this thread gives me a sad. I hope you all die from constipation brought on by severely low fiber levels.

I just ate a cup (That's roughtly 240grams) of collar greens.

I think my fiber levels will be okay

I prefer mustard greens :bigsmile:

Mustard greens are sooo good, I was so happy last summer to discover wild mustard growing in my backyard. I harvested a bunch of seeds and I'm gonna plant a whole bunch of it as soon as the ground thaws!
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Just some food for thought OP. I eat what you would probably consider a completely crap, junk diet. Yet, I am more knowledgeable on nutrition and fitness than probably 95% of this forum, and 99% of the population. I just have different purposes. These people in the lunch room...many of them are probably quite aware of what they eating...and choose to eat the way they do.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I could really go for a green salad almost entirely made out of butterhead lettuce, olive oil and vinegar. All the lettuce hate in this thread gives me a sad. I hope you all die from constipation brought on by severely low fiber levels.

I just ate a cup (That's roughtly 240grams) of collar greens.

I think my fiber levels will be okay

I prefer mustard greens :bigsmile:

Mustard greens are sooo good, I was so happy last summer to discover wild mustard growing in my backyard. I harvested a bunch of seeds and I'm gonna plant a whole bunch of it as soon as the ground thaws!

I absolutely love them! Give me some cornbread covered in mustard greens and pot liquor...oh yeah!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't totally hate on the OP for this post. They came right out and said they were being judgemental, so that shouldn't really have come as a surprise to anyone.

I know the popular attitude these days is: eat whatever you want, under calories, lose weight.

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished. I think there is a point where it's gross and I'm not too afraid to judge someone for not eating real food. I mean, it's cool that you don't mind that. But I couldn't do it and it grosses me out. Same with people who lose weight on McDonald's. That's great! I'm glad you can do it! You're still eating a patty comprised of slaughterhouse floor sweepings and cow anuses cleaned with ammonia that, according to rumor, sticks around on the burger long enough to do bad things to you if you eat enough of it.

I'm all for losing weight at some cost, but, truly, god, nature and darwin never meant for you to eat anything remotely close to that. I'm not organic. I'm not vegetarian. I even eat fast food sometimes. But I get the OP's point: EVERY DAY? REALLY?

OpoQQ.jpg

Huge? Malnourished?
    Oh, please do go on with your utter brilliance, oh Darwin-immune wise one.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hunh? The problem with the South isn't that they FREEZE things. It's that they batter and deepfry anything that doesn't move too quickly.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Judgey little rant for perspective:

So I'm realizing that some people ALWAYS eat trash. They have soda every day, some of them even drink predominantly soda as if it were water. There are people at my work who eat microwave lunches every day! That is a chemical trash concoction and they eat it every. single. day. They probably don't even eat one cupful of lettuce per day and might only have one piece of fruit or none! How is that even possible? Don't you die of malnutrition if you only eat processed food every day all the time? I definitely indulge in the occasional snack of trash, sometimes even twice a day, but every day? All the time? It had just never occurred to me that a person could live without eating any fruits or any vegetables or drinking any water or probably doing any exercise...

So I guess no worries to everyone eating some fruit and veg and at least drinking some water. Taking steps in the right direction puts you lightyears ahead of the crowd it seems. Keep up the good work and you're probably doing better than you think! :drinker:

Do you know anyone who eats ALL junk? Is this really so common?

OMG..you'd be the very last person in the universe I'd want to be stuck in an elevator with.

I'd be wary of sharing an enclosed space with someone who only eats lettuce and fruit too.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't totally hate on the OP for this post. They came right out and said they were being judgmental, so that shouldn't really have come as a surprise to anyone.

I know the popular attitude these days is: eat whatever you want, under calories, lose weight.

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished. I think there is a point where it's gross and I'm not too afraid to judge someone for not eating real food. I mean, it's cool that you don't mind that. But I couldn't do it and it grosses me out. Same with people who lose weight on McDonald's. That's great! I'm glad you can do it! You're still eating a patty comprised of slaughterhouse floor sweepings and cow anuses cleaned with ammonia that, according to rumor, sticks around on the burger long enough to do bad things to you if you eat enough of it.

I'm all for losing weight at some cost, but, truly, god, nature and darwin never meant for you to eat anything remotely close to that. I'm not organic. I'm not vegetarian. I even eat fast food sometimes. But I get the OP's point: EVERY DAY? REALLY?

I've lived in the south all my life. I'm anything BUT malnourished. Sure I'm an overweight vegetarian. Doesn't make me malnourished. Just bad food/drink choices, most of which actually aren't frozen. I just eat too much of anything that's good.

Now where's something that's not moving fast enough for me to deep fry!?!?!?!?!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvM9ubQEtpEYDIc7iChV5ycHnAQrcXOIBbt5IL5Nh9I92DiMOq
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't totally hate on the OP for this post. They came right out and said they were being judgmental, so that shouldn't really have come as a surprise to anyone.

I've lived in the south all my life. I'm anything BUT malnourished. Sure I'm an overweight vegetarian. Doesn't make me malnourished. Just bad food/drink choices, most of which actually aren't frozen. I just eat too much of anything that's good.

Me. My *kitten* will be sittin' in a southern McDonald's later this evening. My focus will be on eating, so I shouldn't be too hard to catch. :laugh:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I try not to judge too much, but I'm a big proponent of how healing real food can be on the body.

I have no idea what this means. Could you clarify, please?

It is a known fact that rubbing organic goats butter into burns speeds up the healing process and organic brie has the same effect on ingrown toenails.

Verily, organic, unpasturised dairy products are to mere mortals what ambrosia was to the gods. Just check the cupboards in any ambulance or crash cart in any hospital.

Mmm, tasty sanctimonious first aid....
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Me. My *kitten* will be sittin' in a southern McDonald's later this evening. My focus will be on eating, so I shouldn't be too hard to catch. :laugh:

tumblr_mxa9b9nRT41smcbm7o1_400.gif
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Have a Snickers.

But that's a chemical trash concoction. :sick:

But...but...it is a yummeh yummeh chemical trash concoction :laugh:
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ***sips from a can of Mountain Dew***

I would like to refute this observation but I'm late for my ride to the doughnut shop.

:bigsmile:
    I knew we were friends for a reason :bigsmile:
    Seriously though, I work with a lot of people who eat imo terribly and yet complain about needing to diet and are just basically miserable in general. I tune them out, simple as that.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't totally hate on the OP for this post. They came right out and said they were being judgemental, so that shouldn't really have come as a surprise to anyone.

I still think frozen food is such processed garbage that one should not eat it every day. I mean, folks do this in the South. They are effing huge AND malnourished.

WTF do you think they're doing to frozen food that makes it such garbage??

they freeze it down to -18 degrees Centigrade or lower (no idea what that is in Fahrenheit don't care either) and *that is all they do to it* no nutrients get harmed, if anything it actually preserves some nutrients longer, as chemical reactions happen more slowly at lower temperatures, so nutrients such as antioxidant vitamins are lost over time.... so after a few days the frozen veg has more nutrients in it than fresh veg of the same age, ditto frozen meat, fish, etc........... unless you're eating vegetables right out of your own garden or caught-that-day fish and meat, then frozen food has just as much nutrition as fresh and possibly more.

Freezing is about the most natural way of preserving food that there is. Even neanderthals would have eaten frozen food seeing as they lived in a sub-arctic, ice age climate and ate huge mammals like woolly mammoth... it's kind of difficult to stop food getting frozen in an ice age winter.... it's even possible that cooking was invented by accident as a result of attempting to thaw food that was frozen (although there are other theories about the origin of cooking food)

Freezer food is not food that is frozen. At least not lean cuisine or anything that would count as a t.v. dinner. Frozen spinach? Yes. It's spinach. Frozen. Hungry Man? No. That is a bunch of processed, bleached flour, corn syrup, hydrogenated soybean oil and bull**** that doesn't exist in nature. Not to mention CRAZY *kitten* TONS OF SODIUM TO HELP PRESERVE IT!

Don't believe me, read the label.

Amy's and stuff that claims to be organic, I'd at least eat more readily than Swansons.

Frozen food = food that is frozen. Any food. You freeze it and it's frozen food. Like I have frozen prawns and frozen brussels sprouts in my freezer. It's frozen food. I even freeze fresh food that I buy sometimes to preserve it. It's food that is frozen. And just because some frozen foods have too much sodium or whatever doesn't mean that frozen food itself is bad, and if ready meals don't provide balanced nutrition, it's not because they're frozen. Freezing has nothing to do with it. So if you meant ready meals or whatever, say that, not frozen food.

Also I'm not familiar with USA brand named foods because I'm not from the USA.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Okay, all you southern people haters! I'm pretty sure there are obese people everywhere. I live in lower Alabama, and while I do know my fair share of overweight people, I know more people who are not overweight. Don't be picking on us southerners!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Okay, all you southern people haters! I'm pretty sure there are obese people everywhere. I live in lower Alabama, and while I do know my fair share of overweight people, I know more people who are not overweight. Don't be picking on us southerners!!

Exactly!!! I saw a lot of bigger people in Iowa...all over the world there are places where people have nothing to do but sit on their butts and eat.
  • foggymirrors
    foggymirrors Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've made a salad out of french toast before

Challah french toast panzanella with strawberries, breakfast sausage and whipped maple mascarpone

IMG_20130731_184911.jpg

I think I love this guy...
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't think of lunch as a chance to get too much nutritional value. I think of it as cramming stuff in my gullet so I won't be hungry until dinner...

That being said, back in undergrad, lunch would often consist of 100% organic malted barley or grape juice with natural yeast by-products. I don't know if it was healthier, but it was a lot more fun.
    Don't be picking on us southerners!!
    Why not?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

WTF? Wow. Wishing death on people really speaks volumes about you. take Betty Boop off your profile..you don't deserve her.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Man, I clearly don't understand conversations on the internet.

To the freezer food thing, just like you said about not knowing U.S. brand names, I didn't know your correct terminology for what I have been raised to call t.v. dinners. Pre-made food, sold in the freezer section, that is definitely something more than food that has been frozen. I own a freezer. I preserve food that way. I don't judge anyone for doing this or buying food that has been frozen. My definition of freezer food, which is clearly different than yours, is processed stuff that you can quickly microwave and eat. Not real food that has been frozen. I don't know how to be more clear about that.

AND I don't hate the south. I don't even hate fat or obese people. Until somewhat recently, I was one. I just know the stereotype of the south as recognized on the West coast of the United States. As I've already stated, I eat fast food, my definition of freezer food, diet soda, etc. My point was more toward moderation. Not eating it every day. To go on with the list: I smoke cigarettes, drink too much, and have a weight problem.

Not trying to dog on anyone, just saying that this stuff, day after day, leads to health issues, especially without recognizing how much you are consuming. Or just not exercising. Anyway, sorry for offending folks. Just going for debate, not the name calling.

No idea where the "darwin-immune" comment came from. I was trying to say that whoever you believe in, god or darwin or vishnu or whoever, probably doesn't want you eating ammonia-soaked, reshaped cow anuses day-in and day-out. If they agreed with me, which they probably don't, they'd think it was a once or twice a week thing. So, not trying to play holier-than-thou, just trying to express my views on moderation and agree with the OPs point that every day might be too much...
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't think of lunch as a chance to get too much nutritional value. I think of it as cramming stuff in my gullet so I won't be hungry until dinner...

That being said, back in undergrad, lunch would often consist of 100% organic malted barley or grape juice with natural yeast by-products. I don't know if it was healthier, but it was a lot more fun.
    Don't be picking on us southerners!!
    Why not?

Because you'll make me cry and I'll have to start a thread about all the mean people! And I don't have time to rage quit and make a new account.