Wrongly labeled foods!

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Confusing labels:

When weighing chicken (or fish, or whatever) are the calories on the label for the raw meat, or cooked? I always thought cooked because it loses water and stuff, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

White rice! It says 160 cals for 1/4th cup...does it mean 1/4th dry or cooked? Huge difference!

Pretty sure it means prepared, I don't know of anyone eating dry rice, so why would they put the calories for dried rice on a package? but who knows! just my guess
    Food labels are for raw, uncooked product.

It's impossible to tell how much water a food will absorb of lose during the cooking process, therefore it's impossible to tell what a given portion of food will weigh after cooking.

Pasta and rice serving sizes are dry weights, meats are raw weights (unless stated otherwise on the packaging.)
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Confusing labels:

When weighing chicken (or fish, or whatever) are the calories on the label for the raw meat, or cooked? I always thought cooked because it loses water and stuff, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

White rice! It says 160 cals for 1/4th cup...does it mean 1/4th dry or cooked? Huge difference!

Pretty sure it means prepared, I don't know of anyone eating dry rice, so why would they put the calories for dried rice on a package? but who knows! just my guess
    Food labels are for raw, uncooked product.

It's impossible to tell how much water a food will absorb of lose during the cooking process, therefore it's impossible to tell what a given portion of food will weigh after cooking.

Pasta and rice serving sizes are dry weights, meats are raw weights (unless stated otherwise on the packaging.)

So you weigh the meat product dethawed, right?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

weighing it frozen or thawed won't change much is it's in a sealed bag.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I heard air has 1 calorie a breath. The internet told me.

Source: Wikipedia

:noway: :sick: :noway: :sick: :noway: :sick:
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    My roommate bought a cake mix with only flour, sugar and baking powder in it (don't ask me why), you need to add butter and eggs to it. It was close to exp date so I used it to bake some muffins and I saw that the nutritional label says it has 12 g FATS. Fats in flour and sugar?! I guess the label is referring to the cake... Pretty annoying.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

weighing it frozen or thawed won't change much is it's in a sealed bag.

There would be a pretty hefty water/ice difference between thawed and frozen, no?
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Those Knorr Dinner Sides read something like this (lol):

Dry: 230 calories
    Prepared: 250 calories

In the instructions, you have (optional) butter. Are the prepared calories including that butter? It doesn't say what KIND of butter. Is this for just full on normal butter? lol
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think it is horrible when people ask for research, because they are too lazy to do it themselves.

(1) A study performed by the Epidemiology Branch of the US National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, concludes that drinking 2 or more colas per day was associated with doubling the risk of chronic kidney disease. per http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17525693?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

(2) A study using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry rather than a questionnaire about breakage, provides reasonable evidence to support the theory that drinking cola results in lower bone density. This study was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. A total of 1672 women and 1148 men were studied between 1996 and 2001. Dietary information was collected using a food frequency questionnaire that had specific questions about the number of servings of cola and other carbonated beverages and that also made a differentiation between regular, caffeine-free, and diet drinks. The paper cites significant statistical evidence to show that women who consume cola daily have lower bone density. Total phosphorus intake was not significantly higher in daily cola consumers than in nonconsumers; however, the calcium-to-phosphorus ratios were lower. Tucker, K. L.; Morita, K.; Qiao, N.; Hannan, M. T.; Cupples, L. A.; Kiel, D. P. (2006). "Colas, but not other carbonated beverages, are associated with low bone mineral density in older women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study". The American journal of clinical nutrition 84 (4): 936–942

I do apologize that my information doesn't come from blogs or horrible websites without real scientific research. Do your research. Yes, toxic levels are extremely dangerous, but so is daily consumption.

Rather than assume people are wrong, because you think you are right, take a look at the science. Real science. It is out there, waiting for you to learn.

An easy search for scholarly journal articles, though results doesn't necessarily allow you access to the articles, is scholar.google.com. Most local libraries allows free access to its patrons, so you can look at the articles without paying for the journal and/or the article. Try it sometime.

Correct, Phosphorous is a component of phosphoric acid. However, Phosphoric acid is linked to chronic kidney disease and lower bone density.

At what dosage?? Study link? Touting science as you are, I'm assuming you actually have some science to back that up and not some blog post written by someone with a communications degree who probably just ripped the info from some other bozo's blog, etc..

The difference between any harmless or beneficial substance and a toxic substance is dosage. Because some study found high concentrations of phosphoric acid to be correlated to kidney disease does not make it applicable to real world availability in food products. I'm not advocating drinking buckets of soda, but it's equally reckless to spout off stuff like this because "Google told you so". Phosphoric acid is also used in teeth whitening strips. It's also can be inhaled and is found in most detergents and soaps. But, again, since it's not present in any of these things at toxic doses it doesn't REALISTICALLY pose a threat to most people who are just enjoying a soda here and there.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Stop and shop bakery bread is frequently labeled wrong. I was going to buy a package of pumpernickel, but then read the nutrition facts. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was something like:

Calories per serving: 140
    Serving size: 1/14 of loaf
    Servings per container: 3

ORLY?
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. As for the diet soda, I doubt there's actually much in it since it's nearly all chemicals that your body can't process. But I have noticed since I cut out my diet coke, I don't eat nearly as much. I've read before that it has an effect on your brain not feeling full.
    Wha? Diet sodas are 96% water. Pretty sure your body knows how to process water. The rest of the ingredients are various proteins and minerals that your body digests by the truckload (figuratively speaking) in all the food you eat every day. There's absolutely nothing in a diet soda that you don't already eat.

Ingredients in diet coke:
    Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), natural flavourings including caffeine, phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine (not a good thing btw)

Cherry diet coke:
    Carbonated water, natural flavourings including caffeine, colour (caramel E150d), citric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), phosphoric acid, acidity regulator (E331), tartaric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

If you're getting any of these besides the carbonated water (and caffiene). in your daily diet, that's not good for your health.

Again, to each their own, but that's how I feel
    Hmmm.

Aspartame - Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine, both amino acids, phenylalanine is essential for life, aspartic acid is made by the human body.

Citric Acid - Well gee, our entire human metabolism runs on something called the "Citric Acid cycle," so I'm not sure how long you'd live with no citric acid in your system. Also, oranges, lemons, grapefruits, limes, but I'm guessing you don't eat CITRUS fruits, either, right?

Phospohoric acid - Well Phosphorus is a major structural component of DNA and RNA, so again, good luck staying alive without it.

Acesulfame-K - a Potassium salt. Yeah, you need potassium to live also.

So uh yeah. If you're not getting those things in other foods you eat, you won't be alive. But hey, go ahead and keep on with your fear mongering.

G-TheGoodThingSci.png

Your logic is completely flawed, along with your science.
    Citric Acid Cycle/Krebs cycle provides its own buffering systems.
    Phosphoric acid and phosphorus are not the same thing.
    Citric Acid has been proven to tear down the animal in your teeth and affect your stomach negatively. Soda, with a pH of 3 is not healthy.
    Aspartame: Look at the research.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/6/1249.short

The fact that taking each ingredient and matching it up to body components on a google search is ludicrous. As you can develop toxicity with vitamins, you can build toxicity with salts and inorganic and organic compounds.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Calories don't matter if you are feeding yourself with horrible food choices. One person wrote that she loves and eats heaps of bacon. Only worried about the fat?! What about all the nitrates and more importantly, it is not a healthy food choice.
    If calories were all that mattered, nutrition facts would not be required. Use MFP to your advantage and track your carbs, fat, protein and also your vitamins and minerals if you want to be healthy and lose weight effectively.

hah. animal.

You mean enamel.
  • ElisaGetsHealthy
    ElisaGetsHealthy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    a tsp of cinnamon is 25 calories.coffee 10 calories. may not seem significant but 5 cups of coffee a day can add up.
    Cinnamon?? Oh no!! I go through truckloads of this stuff weekly :/ well thank you for at least making me aware.

25? That seems like an awful lot! I'm pretty sure a teaspoon of cinnamon is closer to 5 or 6 calories.

Yes, its 6 calories for tsp
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    . . .associated with doubling the risk of chronic kidney disease. . .

Do phrases like this not give you pause before making causation conclusions? (Is it time to pull out the ice cream/homicide and pirates/global temperature graphs yet?)

And again I ask, why do you hate beet root juice?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If Phenylalanine was impossible to get from natural sources, mammals would not exist. Full stop. It is fundamentally necessary to life and again, it is found in breast milk. That's a natural source.

I like how you compare a mother's breast milk with Diet Coke, lol. Not much I can say about that one.... :huh:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    a tsp of cinnamon is 25 calories.coffee 10 calories. may not seem significant but 5 cups of coffee a day can add up.
    Cinnamon?? Oh no!! I go through truckloads of this stuff weekly :/ well thank you for at least making me aware.

25? That seems like an awful lot! I'm pretty sure a teaspoon of cinnamon is closer to 5 or 6 calories.

Yes, its 6 calories for tsp

Nutrition data on cinnamon: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/180/2
    1 tsp 6 cal with 1g net carb (2g carb - 1g fibre carb)

Nutrition data on coffee black brewed with tap water from grounds: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/3898/2
    1 8 oz cup = 2 cal & 5mg of sodium.
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think it is horrible when people ask for research, because they are too lazy to do it themselves.

(1) A study performed by the Epidemiology Branch of the US National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, concludes that drinking 2 or more colas per day was associated with doubling the risk of chronic kidney disease. per http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17525693?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

(2) A study using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry rather than a questionnaire about breakage, provides reasonable evidence to support the theory that drinking cola results in lower bone density. This study was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. A total of 1672 women and 1148 men were studied between 1996 and 2001. Dietary information was collected using a food frequency questionnaire that had specific questions about the number of servings of cola and other carbonated beverages and that also made a differentiation between regular, caffeine-free, and diet drinks. The paper cites significant statistical evidence to show that women who consume cola daily have lower bone density. Total phosphorus intake was not significantly higher in daily cola consumers than in nonconsumers; however, the calcium-to-phosphorus ratios were lower. Tucker, K. L.; Morita, K.; Qiao, N.; Hannan, M. T.; Cupples, L. A.; Kiel, D. P. (2006). "Colas, but not other carbonated beverages, are associated with low bone mineral density in older women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study". The American journal of clinical nutrition 84 (4): 936–942

I do apologize that my information doesn't come from blogs or horrible websites without real scientific research. Do your research. Yes, toxic levels are extremely dangerous, but so is daily consumption.

Rather than assume people are wrong, because you think you are right, take a look at the science. Real science. It is out there, waiting for you to learn.

An easy search for scholarly journal articles, though results doesn't necessarily allow you access to the articles, is scholar.google.com. Most local libraries allows free access to its patrons, so you can look at the articles without paying for the journal and/or the article. Try it sometime.

Correct, Phosphorous is a component of phosphoric acid. However, Phosphoric acid is linked to chronic kidney disease and lower bone density.

At what dosage?? Study link? Touting science as you are, I'm assuming you actually have some science to back that up and not some blog post written by someone with a communications degree who probably just ripped the info from some other bozo's blog, etc..

The difference between any harmless or beneficial substance and a toxic substance is dosage. Because some study found high concentrations of phosphoric acid to be correlated to kidney disease does not make it applicable to real world availability in food products. I'm not advocating drinking buckets of soda, but it's equally reckless to spout off stuff like this because "Google told you so". Phosphoric acid is also used in teeth whitening strips. It's also can be inhaled and is found in most detergents and soaps. But, again, since it's not present in any of these things at toxic doses it doesn't REALISTICALLY pose a threat to most people who are just enjoying a soda here and there.

At least the FDA will be updating the GRAS list once the new Michele Obama labels go through. I heard they'll be pretty fast this time. There's definitely things that shouldn't be considered GRAS on there. I work with phosphoric acid in my lab. If it touches your skin it can burn. THAT'S what I want to add to my food! lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    All substances are toxic under the right conditions.
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    All substances are toxic under the right conditions.

Right, but those conditions haven't been evaluated since the 80s - unless there's a study that says it's going to kill everybody tomorrow (extreme circumstances).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Those Knorr Dinner Sides read something like this (lol):

Dry: 230 calories
    Prepared: 250 calories

In the instructions, you have (optional) butter. Are the prepared calories including that butter? It doesn't say what KIND of butter. Is this for just full on normal butter? lol

I don't understand this, butter is butter.

If it is optional I would assume it is not included in the calorie count, however, quick math should answer the questions. I haven't made one of those for a long time so I cant remember if there is anything else added. If there is, like milk. Divide the calories in the amount of milk by the number of servings, if that equals 20 calories, then it would appear that butter is not included.

As for your earlier question, rice and pasta are always measured dry. The cooked weight can vary greatly depending on how cooked it is. The longer it cooks, the more water it absorbs.

Meat is raw. I used to think the same as you. that frozen would weigh more, it doesn't.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Confusing labels:

Because it is more accurately measured dry. Cooking it in water adds no extra calories but can affect weight/volume greatly.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Oh, yeah. True, I don't know, maybe sweet cream butter is less than normal butter, or something? I don't really eat butter because I love margarine, lol. But the package says 1 tablespoon of optional butter, and certainly that can't be 20 calories only, right?! Otherwise I have been totally missing the butter-boat. If it's saying the calories w/o assuming you're putting butter in, wth is the extra 20 when cooked? (No extras, just water) lol, so confusing =_=