A few things no one would guess by your appearance

Options

Replies

• linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That I'm hispanic (given they don't know my last name from the start). Most people think I'm anything from indian to lebanese to italian to middle eastern.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 - I've been yelled at, at my sisters high school where I substitute taught at, by teachers for being in the hallways before class.

I also have pet snakes... and a tarantula
  • aj7x
    aj7x Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am bilingual. English/Spanish
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Most people don't believe I'm 24, they think I'm 14...I got IDed in the mall before because I got a few feet from my fiance. We were looking at one of those jewlery counters(sometimes they have cool stuff to look at) and he was on one side and I was on the other. The mall cop came up and told me people under 18 had to be with a adult and if I wasn't I needed to leave the building. I started laughing my *kitten* off. He asked me what was so funny I told him I was 22 and was there with my fiance. He demanded my ID then felt like a idiot when I gave it to him. At which point my 28 (at the time) year old fiance came around to the otherside. The guy handed me back my ID and walked away without a word lol

I always felt that I looked my age or near it...however when I first moved out into my own place away from my parents during college, I had issues sometimes with neighbors or solicitors refusing to believe it was MY home and not my parents', grandparents', etc. So funny. I remember one situation in particular when I had been on my own for a couple of years and was probably 21-22 and a repairman came from the cable company (I'd called for assistance with my service) and asked if my mom or dad was home. Pretty great moment.

I'm 36 and this sometimes still happens to me. People ask if I have a parent at home.

WOW! That's funny. I am tall and look at least in my 30s if not my full age of 37 at times, but I do still get this on the phone because I sound crazy young.

I also recall going to a convenience store near my house when I was 20-ish and writing a check (this was in the 90s when every gas station took personal checks and few accepted credit/debit) and the cashier told me she would not take my check unless she could get my parent on the phone. I had been working for 4+ years and had a couple grand in my checking account. I was SO offended and her manager heard all about it from me...about 10 years later I was in a position to interview that same cashier for a job in another company and I recognized her right off the bat :-D
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    That I used to deal with rather significant self esteem issues, despite my smashing good looks :)
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with both Monty Python and Mr. Bean. I am also a computer nerd in a sense, as a 3D animator, I kind of need to be B-)
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I enjoy RC cars as a hobby.
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I used to be a telemarketer.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I ride a scooter, I do Karate 2-3 times a week, I'm a grandma to two identical twin boys, I am a Nursing Home Manager running an 80 bedded Dementia Nursing home :glasses:
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I used to be a telemarketer.

I'm sorry for farting at you when you called me.
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That I suffer from misanthropy.

that i googled this and 'pansexual' whilst reading this post
  • bryttanid
    bryttanid Posts: 14
    Options
    That I'm the oldest of 7 children. I spent most of my life helping raise my siblings so even though I'm only 24, I know a hell of a lot more about kids than most people twice my age. On top of watching my siblings, my mom ran a daycare through our house....meaning I ran a daycare through our house lol. I've had a significant hand in helping potty train at least 13 children, I've changed more diapers than I could ever begin to count and I can often communicate better with children than I can with adults. I get them. To this day, I am a nanny for a little girl and even though I love kids, the fact that I've spent the last 16 years watching kids when I was, myself, a kid makes me almost not want any of my own.

I love to blast my heavy rock/metal in the car to almost deafening levels...always.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Most people don't believe I'm 24, they think I'm 14...I got IDed in the mall before because I got a few feet from my fiance. We were looking at one of those jewlery counters(sometimes they have cool stuff to look at) and he was on one side and I was on the other. The mall cop came up and told me people under 18 had to be with a adult and if I wasn't I needed to leave the building. I started laughing my *kitten* off. He asked me what was so funny I told him I was 22 and was there with my fiance. He demanded my ID then felt like a idiot when I gave it to him. At which point my 28 (at the time) year old fiance came around to the otherside. The guy handed me back my ID and walked away without a word lol

I always felt that I looked my age or near it...however when I first moved out into my own place away from my parents during college, I had issues sometimes with neighbors or solicitors refusing to believe it was MY home and not my parents', grandparents', etc. So funny. I remember one situation in particular when I had been on my own for a couple of years and was probably 21-22 and a repairman came from the cable company (I'd called for assistance with my service) and asked if my mom or dad was home. Pretty great moment.

I'm 36 and this sometimes still happens to me. People ask if I have a parent at home.

WOW! That's funny. I am tall and look at least in my 30s if not my full age of 37 at times, but I do still get this on the phone because I sound crazy young.

I also recall going to a convenience store near my house when I was 20-ish and writing a check (this was in the 90s when every gas station took personal checks and few accepted credit/debit) and the cashier told me she would not take my check unless she could get my parent on the phone. I had been working for 4+ years and had a couple grand in my checking account. I was SO offended and her manager heard all about it from me...about 10 years later I was in a position to interview that same cashier for a job in another company and I recognized her right off the bat :-D

I used to get upset by it when I was in my twenties in stores and they would ask me how I got a debit card because they thought I was 13, and another person would stand up for me and say I was at least 16. And when I was pregnant people would sometimes scowl at me and say "Where's the father? A baby having a baby!" things like that.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I ride a scooter, I do Karate 2-3 times a week, I'm a grandma to two identical twin boys, I am a Nursing Home Manager running an 80 bedded Dementia Nursing home :glasses:

My ex used to run a nursing home. She hated it.

She loved running a few of the departments but running it? Did her head in...
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

My ex used to run a nursing home. She hated it.

She loved running a few of the departments but running it? Did her head in...

Not everyone's cuppa tea :drinker:
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That I suffer from misanthropy.

that i googled this and 'pansexual' whilst reading this post

I looked both of those up as well and laughed. However, there was one big difference in my research. I used Bing.

great minds think alike....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    And when I was pregnant people would sometimes scowl at me and say "Where's the father? A baby having a baby!" things like that.

One of my friends got that a few times in the doctor's office and even at supermarket when she was 27 and pregnant with her second child! Although to be honest I think she definitely looked 20-something! More than once, rude strangers would ask her things like if she was staying in school to get her diploma. The first time it happened, she was utterly confused and thought the woman meant college or technical school and had mistaken her for someone else, a classmate perhaps. But they truly thought she was a teen mom. As if it would be okay to say things like that to a teenage mother, anyway...but we've had many laughs about it since!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    And when I was pregnant people would sometimes scowl at me and say "Where's the father? A baby having a baby!" things like that.

One of my friends got that a few times in the doctor's office and even at supermarket when she was 27 and pregnant with her second child! Although to be honest I think she definitely looked 20-something! More than once, rude strangers would ask her things like if she was staying in school to get her diploma. The first time it happened, she was utterly confused and thought the woman meant college or technical school and had mistaken her for someone else, a classmate perhaps. But they truly thought she was a teen mom. As if it would be okay to say things like that to a teenage mother, anyway...but we've had many laughs about it since!!

Good to know I'm not the only one!