Logging Accurately..step by step guide

Options

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused, and if this was already talked about earlier, I apologize I didn't read all 11 pages.

When I searched for chicken breast in the database last night, I didn't get that big list of non-asterisk entries that you show in the OP. I just simply typed chicken breast and the majority of what came up was just member submitted stuff that I don't want to use.

Try changing the option to NAME instead of relevance (under the box you type into there are 2 "dots" you can choose).
    In his SS it shows the NAME as being the option to have it sorted by.

that's probably it, on this computer it's not giving me an option to chose "relevance" or "name" and I don't think I've noticed it on my home computer either. Maybe its my browser?

For desktop: Food > Add food > The you should see a drop down arrow on the right hand side that says "Sort By". This gives you the default option or a name option.

I also suggest to be more specific than just "chicken breast". Try to use the brand name such as "Simple Truth Chicken Breasts Tenders".
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    reposting as I think it wasn't noticed:

I weigh everything I eat, and sometimes have issues finding the right entry.

What I have NOT been able to figure out is how do I enter information in 100g AND 1 g? Like how do I make sure that there will be a "drop down" when I save it?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused, and if this was already talked about earlier, I apologize I didn't read all 11 pages.

When I searched for chicken breast in the database last night, I didn't get that big list of non-asterisk entries that you show in the OP. I just simply typed chicken breast and the majority of what came up was just member submitted stuff that I don't want to use.

It really is in how you type it in...

When I did the screen shot I typed Chicken - Breast (chicken (space) (dash) (space) Breast)

As well the sort helps too...
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

It really is in how you type it in...

When I did the screen shot I typed Chicken - Breast (chicken (space) (dash) (space) Breast)

As well the sort helps too...

Okay, it helped to put in the dash, but I'm still not getting that nice big list you showed. I don't have the name and relevance button either, I have no idea why. But I'll keep looking into it. The dashes did help, it pulled up the one I was actually looking for last night.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Putting "raw" after almost anything brings up the standard non-asterisk entry, at least if you are searching for the raw entry.

If cooked chicken, adding more details usually works for me--"chicken breast cooked roasted" or even just "chicken breast cooked."
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    reposting as I think it wasn't noticed:

I weigh everything I eat, and sometimes have issues finding the right entry.

What I have NOT been able to figure out is how do I enter information in 100g AND 1 g? Like how do I make sure that there will be a "drop down" when I save it?

Try entering the serving size as 100g. By default MFP will also give you a 1g option if it recognizes the 100g size correctly. But I don't think you can do an 85g serving, a 100g, AND a 1g. You have to convert the given serving size to what the calories, fat, etc would be for 100g and enter that as your new entry
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hey! I didn't know you could edit entries! Thanks for posting that! Too many incorrect ones out there.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Agree - however my own recipes, which I sometimes have labelled homemade are all carefully weighed measured and logged. I check before I make a new batch that I haven't varied the type or quantity of an ingredient. I will also have weighed the total finished product and worked out how much a single serving should weigh. I do not expect anyone else to use or trust that data but the description 'homemade' will appear in my diary.

^^same.
    thanks for all the great info!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for all the people asking why they aren't losing weight.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    To log accurately, you have to know what you're eating. My weight loss changed dramatically the second I spent 30 dollars on a food scale. I sit down at home when I'm preparing dinner or my breakfast and lunch for the next day and measure as I prepare. I have food containers that have a dry erase top and write down the ounces right on the container. For example, what I used to think was 4 ounces of chicken was really 9!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To log accurately, you have to know what you're eating. My weight loss changed dramatically the second I spent 30 dollars on a food scale. I sit down at home when I'm preparing dinner or my breakfast and lunch for the next day and measure as I prepare. I have food containers that have a dry erase top and write down the ounces right on the container. For example, what I used to think was 4 ounces of chicken was really 9!

I agree a food scale is invaluable but if you don't chose the correct entry your food scale isn't worth anything.

I've seen people weigh their food then choose an entry (lets say for chicken) that has 130 calories and 96 grams of protien...that was just so wrong.:sad:
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @Stef I can't help stupid. :devil:
  • molson55
    molson55 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    awesome info
  • catseyedawn
    catseyedawn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That was really helpful! Thank you for taking all the time to do that! :smile:
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Accuchef (http://www.accuchef.com/), an affordable program (60-use trial, $20 to purchase) that draws from the USDA nutritional database to calculate nutritional data for your recipes. You do have to take the time to make sure that your entered ingredients are connected to the right form of the ingredient (cooked, canned, raw, etc.), but I've found it to be worth the time and the money.
  • Ashtalia
    Ashtalia Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anglergirl3
    anglergirl3 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onetallmamma
    onetallmamma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump!