Logging Accurately..step by step guide

Options

Replies

• SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Bumping for future refrence to all the, uhm, threads that come up!

Thank you!

Anyone know how to get an entry removed based on incorrect calories?
  • k1431
    k1431 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Super helpful. Thank you for posting this!
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Yay! This is so needed! Can we make this a sticky??
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great post. I prodominantly use the MFP app on my phone, which has a barcode scanner. This is really useful and saves time searching the database, especially helpful when logging whilst preparing a meal. It is also pretty accurate (most of the time)

I also love the bar code scanner!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would have posted this when I first started! I so did not realize every entry wasn't accurate.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I always love your posts. You're my mentor.

I do too. Hopefully this will help a lot of people.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This is really nice of you to post. I've been telling my friends and co-workers about MFP and now I can refer them to this post for help with logging.

:flowerforyou:
  • twkelly
    twkelly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think more people need to read this. Great job!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would have posted this when I first started! I so did not realize every entry wasn't accurate.

^^This. Great post. Thanks, OP :flowerforyou:
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Tagging for reference..and I can't see the screenshots on my work computer
  • phyl303
    phyl303 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great breakdown. The screenshots are very helpful.

Tagging to save.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Me to that's why I did it...

I too love the bar code scanner but that can be iffy too...I scanned in a package of black forest ham...it came up turkey...:grumble: but all in all the scanner is great.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Great post. I feel like every second post I make here is "are you weighing and logging all your food accurately?", so this will be a great post to bookmark and link to whenever I do that.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I do two things in addition to ensure accuracy. I have now started entering my own entries by weight when I can't find one using the label as I prepare the food or when I'm eating it, like yogurt, Quest bars, etc., or I save the package for entering later. I also will check things against the USDA database because I don't trust anything with an * or generic.

Now for the things that I inevitably lick like almond butter or peanut butter, sour cream spoon, etc. I put the container on the scale, tare it to zero, and then dip out a serving to negative say 32 grams for peanut butter. Then I can lick away. Otherwise I let my dogs lick my fingers and wash my hands before digging in or wait until it's on my plate until licking or tasting.

I also always take the time to ensure I find the correct entry because I'm not savy at finding things without an * or generic so if anyone wants to see my public diary feel free. If it's not correct I either correct it or don't use it. To me it's worth the extra 2 minutes to be correct. I haven't gotten so bad to weigh slices of bread yet but I'm almost there but I don't eat a lot of bread.

What I have issue with is small restaurants that make their own food and won't share the nutritional values :grumble:
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Also, while I think your post is wonderful and informative, there is one other exception I will point out. One of my few exceptions to "accurate logging" is shredded cheese. I log it as cups, but I do weigh it out, simply because on the nutrition label it states: 1/4 cup (28 g). I will weight out 28 grams, but log it as a quarter cup. The calories are exactly the same either way, but it is easier to find the 1/4 cup entries than search for one with grams. To use your words, it might look like a duck and quack like a duck, but I'm pretty sure it's not a duck ;) Other than that, I enjoyed your post and agree fully.

This. I'm pretty sure anybody looking at my diary would say I don't weigh, but I do. Every single meal. But while logging its easy to find entries of cups rather than grams.

Other than that Thanks for the post OP! I have Android and the asterisks or confirmations feature is not there. So it's hard sometimes to differentiate between accurate datas and self-entered ones. I usually check with nutrition data site first for meats where calories are not written on packages.
  • mamabanana
    mamabanana Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thx a bunch, keeping as a reference!
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How do you log a lick or taste?

Say I had a single bite of macaroni and cheese. How would that be logged?

That phrase “logging accurately” doesn’t mean just weighing your solids and measuring your liquids there are things involved. It involves logging everything. Every bite, lick and taste…choosing correct entries from the MFP database and therein lies a lot of the issues when it comes to “logging accurately”.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to remove or correct inaccurate entries that come up with the barcode scanner, or add them if they are missing for that matter? I would love to correct a few of my common foods :)
  • freebutterfly02
    freebutterfly02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump for future reference. Thanks!