Planet Fitness kicks out Muslim woman for wearing head scarf

Options
trojan_bb
trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
oops. Planet Fitness kicked out another gym goer...and this newest case of discrimination in the "Judgement Free" zone isn't quite legal.

It's all fun and games when you kick out people for being too hot and too strong...but religious discrimination, tsk tsk.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/planet-fitness-kicked-muslim-woman-wearing-headscarf-lawsuit-article-1.1730411

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    PF dun goofed
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    It is in fact "Judgement free zone". Because if you follow "their standards" you won't be judged. I agree their rules look weird, but that's how they built their identity. If you sign up then you gotta accept and comply to their rules.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    It is in fact "Judgement free zone". Because if you follow "their standards" you won't be judged. I agree their rules look weird, but that's how they built their identity. If you sign up then you gotta accept and comply to their rules.

Except at another location, they were perfectly fine with it. And surely she was wearing it when she signed up and they didn't say a thing then. Now it's not accepted?
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Oohh lucky her! Her bank account is about to get a little bigger!

Planet Fitness sounds like a completely ridiculous place. I will never go there.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    That place is really lame. I used to work out there with a friend who was a member. It really is a lame gym, and they have stupid rules on top of it. The only thing they got is good prices. Not worth it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Except for the fact that it says specifically in their coorporate rules that no person can be turned away due to religious beliefs, which means the allowing of a hijab. She will win that lawsuit.
  • TitanGM
    Options

Except at another location, they were perfectly fine with it. And surely she was wearing it when she signed up and they didn't say a thing then. Now it's not accepted?
    Normally she shouldn't have been accepted at any location (Staff problem alert)
    I wore a headband once and I would've been kicked out if I refused the advice given by the staff member to follow the rules (which I believe should be in the paper when you sign up)
    I'm fine with anything as long as they're transparent with me from the beginning.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options

I wore a headband once and I would've been kicked out if I refused the advice given by the staff member to follow the rules (which I believe should be in the paper when you sign up)
    I'm fine with anything as long as they're transparent with me from the beginning.

I agree with you...but the bill of rights trumps contract law. Even if both parties agreed to a dress code which bans any/all religious clothing...a lawsuit can still be filed and won if access is denied due to religious reasons. In this case, supposedly she replied to the employee and said "I am muslim". Can't turn her away after that.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

Perhaps, but in addition, I don't think they can turn someone away for religious reasons. They probably would have no problem with me wearing a crucifix.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize we had Planet Fitness locations in Quebec.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Just last week they had problem with a woman wearing too little. Now a woman is wearing too much. **** or get off the pot Planet Fitness.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

fine. and if you follow "my standards" you won't be judged either. well, not by me, at least. oh, wait, that's quite how "no judgement" is supposed to work, is it?
  • TitanGM
    Options

fine. and if you follow "my standards" you won't be judged either. well, not by me, at least. oh, wait, that's quite how "no judgement" is supposed to work, is it?

Well that's how a business works doesn't it? At a previous job none of us workers were allowed to use internet for any purpose other than work related. If I were to brake that simple rule I'd be "judged" wouldn't I?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

They would have kicked you out for a headband? That's assinine. What's the rationale for that?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This is pretty ridiculous. According to the article, the company is claiming the employee wasn't aware of her religious affiliation, which seems to be a bit silly to be honest, and that they have exceptions in the rules about headwear for religious purposes.
  • TitanGM
    Options

They would have kicked you out for a headband? That's assinine. What's the rationale for that?

Yeah that's one of the rules they have apparently.. No headbands, caps, or any kind of fashion that would make you stick out from the crowd, etc... Stupid in my opinion I must say, but unfortunately I had/have to comply with them since the next nearest gym is more than 1hr far from my home.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

You serisously aren't comparing a common headband to a religious head dress. And normally she WOULD be accepted at EVERY location. It is in their COORPORATE BY-LAWS. They even quote it in the news article.
  • TitanGM
    Options

You serisously aren't comparing a common headband to a religious head dress. And normally she WOULD be accepted at EVERY location. It is in their COORPORATE BY-LAWS. They even quote it in the news article.

Maybe I was wrong on that one. (Comparing)
    But yeah it looks like their policy doesn't allow people to make others feel uncomfortable. As far as religion is involved I haven'd pried much further.
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    That's ridiculous. The article states that " McDaniel says she’s gone to another Planet Fitness in her area a number of times with her colorful head scarf on and never had a problem. " Then why are they booting her now?
  • mondriantree
    mondriantree Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Yeah that's one of the rules they have apparently.. No headbands, caps, or any kind of fashion that would make you stick out from the crowd, etc... Stupid in my opinion I must say, but unfortunately I had/have to comply with them since the next nearest gym is more than 1hr far from my home.

Anything that makes you stick out from the crowd? That sounds like a freaking cult.
This discussion has been closed.