Planet Fitness kicks out Muslim woman for wearing head scarf

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I think the dress code is for health and safety reasons; a scarf could get tangled in the equipment and strangle the person. Also bandannas are used for gang affiliation which would intimidate some people. It is the only gym I can afford, so I follow the rules and mind my own business. P.S. The scarves retain sweat and create a "stank"

So do your freakin' underwear, seriously? I'm sure she washes it. And there's a HUGE difference between a head scarf worn for religious reasons and a bandana worn for gang affiliation. Discrimination against a person for religious reasons is illegal in this country, btw.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This place sounds like a first class DUMP
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    I think the dress code is for health and safety reasons; a scarf could get tangled in the equipment and strangle the person. Also bandannas are used for gang affiliation which would intimidate some people. It is the only gym I can afford, so I follow the rules and mind my own business. P.S. The scarves retain sweat and create a "stank"

So do your freakin' underwear, seriously? I'm sure she washes it. And there's a HUGE difference between a head scarf worn for religious reasons and a bandana worn for gang affiliation. Discrimination against a person for religious reasons is illegal in this country, btw.

Hahaha I just pictured someone with their underwear stuck in the exercise equipment.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The things I hear about this dump... holy crap. I wonder what would happen if *I* joined. I'm in a wheelchair. Would the fact that my abilities are better than a lot of able-bodied people be "intimidation" and get me kicked out?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know this is off of the main topic, but why can't someone wear a headband to the gym. I wear a headband everytime I work out and dance and lots of other times as well. Even in my profile pic. That's how I keep my hair out of my face. It's not quite long enough for a ponytail, sometimes ponytails bother me on my head, and when I have a ponytail it's not comfortable for exercises that have me on my back such as in yoga and dance.

The really funny part is...PF sells headbands. I wonder if they kick you out if you're wearing one of their headbands? Which I'm sure meet some manner of standards that non-PF ones don't meet.

3_123301_161175_W7000-White-Text-L.png

3_27169_43809_PF-headband_586x529.jpg

It's ok because they say no gymtimidation on them, so everyone knows you aren't trying to intimidate them with your super athletic headband or gang headband. So as long as the head band says that you aren't trying to intimidate anyone it's ok. I know I look really intimidating with my headband on. I kind of look like a cross between a librarian or school girl and someone from a Jane Fonda 80's video. So intimidating.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I know this is off of the main topic, but why can't someone wear a headband to the gym. I wear a headband everytime I work out and dance and lots of other times as well. Even in my profile pic. That's how I keep my hair out of my face. It's not quite long enough for a ponytail, sometimes ponytails bother me on my head, and when I have a ponytail it's not comfortable for exercises that have me on my back such as in yoga and dance.

Headband in your avatar??? :angry: reported!

:laugh:

I remember becoming irritated at work when someone called in and started speaking in Spanish. When I put the phone on mute, and :grumble: , my coworker said "We took her check written in Spanish,:angry: didn't we!!??" Then she offered to interpret for me until I could get the Watts line.

We can only assume the woman was a Muslim when she signed up. They took her money with her in her hijab.

As for the lawsuit?:huh: If she went to management and they told her she could never come in the gym in her religious garb, then I could see getting the courts involved. For me, I am truly sick of everything being a way to sue someone :ohwell: /shrugs but that is my issue I suppose
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Headband in your avatar??? :angry: reported!

:laugh:

Uh oh! :frown:

:wink: :flowerforyou:
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You'd be silly to think all PF are like this. And quite frankly it's pretty childish to bad mouth a gym just because of its philosophy. People go there to get in shape and don't need to be annoyed by a bunch of grunters. If you're one of those people and used to go to a PF you're the only one at fault for being dumb enough to not realize their rules.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    You'd be silly to think all PF are like this. And quite frankly it's pretty childish to bad mouth a gym just because of its philosophy. People go there to get in shape and don't need to be annoyed by a bunch of grunters. If you're one of those people and used to go to a PF you're the only one at fault for being dumb enough to not realize their rules.

What if you join the gym with a ponytail and think you will always be happy with a ponytail, but then 6 months in, you get a haircut and then discover the ease and comfort of headbands?
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    What is wrong with this place? I honestly didn't know anything about this chain (other than the lunk alarm, or whatever it is) until the recent news stories about it. This place seriously seems like an ongoing SNL skit. I would never want to work out at a place like this.

Do they really not allow you to wear headbands, or am I missing a joke? :noway:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I find the fact that you think people exerting themselves enough to not remain perfectly silent while working out to be annoying to be...kind of disturbing.

Also, just so we're clear, headbands are also annoying? And skinny strapped tank tops? And that's why they're banned?
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with this place? I honestly didn't know anything about this chain (other than the lunk alarm, or whatever it is) until the recent news stories about it. This place seriously seems like an ongoing SNL skit. I would never want to work out at a place like this.

Apparently it wasn't a joke when they asked me to take off my headband.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

What if you join the gym with a ponytail and think you will always be happy with a ponytail, but then 6 months in, you get a haircut and then discover the ease and comfort of headbands?

I see women wearing headbands all the time along with religious head wear like this lady at my PF. Don't see the point for guys wearing headbands though. Maybe I just don't sweat a lot from my head but they seem unnecessary to me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

http://runningwithmickey.com/tag/planet-fitness-code/

http://biggestlittle.blogspot.com/2008/01/few-proud-headbands.html
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I see women wearing headbands all the time along with religious head wear like this lady at my PF. Don't see the point for guys wearing headbands though. Maybe I just don't sweat a lot from my head but they seem unnecessary to me.

Guys like to keep their sweaty hair off their face also.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

Don't see the point for guys wearing headbands though.

Some guys sweat a lot. The sweat goes down to your eyes. The headband is the solution. What's so difficult to understand here?
  • MBrothers22
    Options

I find the fact that you think people exerting themselves enough to not remain perfectly silent while working out to be annoying to be...kind of disturbing.

Also, just so we're clear, headbands are also annoying? And skinny strapped tank tops? And that's why they're banned?

There is no reason to grunt to the point to where it's audible for people on the other side of the gym. Zero. If you want the attention to be all on you, go to some meat head gym. As I already said- I see people with headbands all the time at PF so I don't really know how much truth there is to that. And I don't pay attention enough to skinny strapped tank tops... whatever that is. I certainly see people in tank tops
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I see guys with sweat pouring down their faces all the time. Seems a headband would soak that up and keep it out of their eyes.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

Some guys sweat a lot. The sweat goes down to your eyes. The headband is the solution. What's so difficult to understand here?

What's so difficult about reading my entire post?
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

This.

I sweat a LOT from my forehead. If I don't wear a headband it gets into my eyes and stings like hell.
This discussion has been closed.